[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Dec 11, 9P-12M ET: Andante Louvain Demps...LIVE!!!

Hello Girls and Guys!!! Tonight...a MOST exciting show for me. I have had many Motown guests who generously shared stories of their careers with Motown, but never a guest who professionally and, many times, personally touched the careers and lives of so many Motown artists during Motown's heyday. Tonight, on "Nightflight", I am honored to have live with me soprano Louvain Demps, member of Motown's Rayber Voices, and then, along with Jackie Hicks and Marlene Barrow created one of the most important and enduring elements of The Motown Sound...the Andantes!
    There was virtually no credit given to the Andantes at the time for their background vocal performances on Motown records....the number of Andantes performances recorded for many other Motown artists are estimated as between 10,000-20,000...not to mention the many number one hits on which they sang!
    So please join me tonight, as I welcome a member of my FAVORITE Motown group...the Andantes' Louvain Demps...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we stream live in digital stereo at www.womr.org
    Thanks so much...and Happy Holidays....MY Christmas present has arrived early!
    John
    PS...no phone calls tonight, please....I will be talking with Louvain on the phone.
    And please feel free to post your questions for Louvain here on this thread...Louvain has agreed most generously
    to answer them if she can...be NICE , Folks! Thanks!
    Name:  rrr.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  46.4 KB
    Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston and
    literally backing them up...the Andantes!
    Name:  the_andantes_bdh.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  78.8 KB
    from L...Marlene, Louvain and Jackie...the Andantes!

Hi John,
    I'll do my best to be there. Sounds like a wonderful show!

Thanks, Steve!! Hope you can make it!

Awesome. Another excellent guest.

Draw to her attention that Skurow/Solomon say in the Supremes 50th Anniversary CD about Stop in the Name of Love and ask her what her version of the events surrounding the recording of Stop in the Name of Love are.

I hope I can catch some of this!

Well done.

I don't know if I will be able to catch this. I will try to at least catch a little. Can you thank her for all her hard work and beautiful vocals, and also ask if she recalls what TV Special or performance that they sang behind the curtain for the Supremes.

John, no doubt this edition of Nightflight will be a controversial one for sure. You have a way of disarming your guests with your charm, and hopefully you will get Louvain Demps to reveal more than was shared in the book, "Motown From The Background," It is important to remember that these ladies were working to support themselves and are not villains in any way. Maybe they have some insights into why Berry Gordy sweetened the sound on the recordings of the groups he chose to have them add their vocals to. This is one program I definitely want to catch in its entirety!

I too would like to hear Louvain's take on the whole "Stop! In the name of Love" controversy. Also with "You Can't Hurry Love"...that too was the Andantes right?

Have a great time with Louvain tonight, John.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Awesome. Another excellent guest.

Draw to her attention that Skurow/Solomon say in the Supremes 50th Anniversary CD about Stop in the Name of Love and ask her what her version of the events surrounding the recording of Stop in the Name of Love are.

I hope I can catch some of this!

Well done.
    Thanks Rob...hope you get to hear some of it!

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    John, no doubt this edition of Nightflight will be a controversial one for sure. You have a way of disarming your guests with your charm, and hopefully you will get Louvain Demps to reveal more than was shared in the book, "Motown From The Background," It is important to remember that these ladies were working to support themselves and are not villains in any way. Maybe they have some insights into why Berry Gordy sweetened the sound on the recordings of the groups he chose to have them add their vocals to. This is one program I definitely want to catch in its entirety!

Thanks Mark....glad you will be listening!

Hey John, looking forward to your interview with Louvain Demps. I know it will be another excellent exchange as you always treat your special quests with the utmost respect. I admire Louvain for doing the interview and I thank you for coiming up with the idea and making it happen. See you on the Radiola, mi amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I too would like to hear Louvain's take on the whole "Stop! In the name of Love" controversy. Also with "You Can't Hurry Love"...that too was the Andantes right?
    floyjoy....I will bring up "Stop...." and "You Can't Hurry Love"....glad you'll be listening!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Have a great time with Louvain tonight, John.

Jim
    Thanks, jim...hope you can listen!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Hey John, looking forward to your interview with Louvain Demps. I know it will be another excellent exchange as you always treat your special quests with the utmost respect. I admire Louvain for doing the interview and I thank you for coiming up with the idea and making it happen. See you on the Radiola, mi amigo.
    Joseph...glad you'll be listening, my friend....and thank you!

My, my, my. How excited am I about tonight's show! What a treat this will, no doubt, be. Having been a Motown fan right from the company's inception, I've known about The Andantes for a long time but I never paid them much attention. My focus had been focused on the featured artists, writers, and those remarkably tuneful tunes. But listening to your great NIGHTLIGHT show week after week--and hearing your superlative extended remixes, as well--corrected that forever because of your deep admiration and acknowledgement of The Andantes and your insight and analysis--and unbridled love!--into their contribution and importance to those recordings. The Andantes, for me, came to be what I saw as the human equivalent of violins--as vital and integral to the Motown Sound as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's strings. Both The Andantes and the DSO strings produced the same effect: Lasting beauty. It has never diminished. It never will.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    My, my, my. How excited am I about tonight's show! What a treat this will, no doubt, be. Having been a Motown fan right from the company's inception, I've known about The Andantes for a long time but I never paid them much attention. My focus had been focused on the featured artists, writers, and those remarkably tuneful tunes. But listening to your great NIGHTLIGHT show week after week--and hearing your superlative extended remixes, as well--corrected that forever because of your deep admiration and acknowledgement of The Andantes and your insight and analysis--and unbridled love!--into their contribution and importance to those recordings. The Andantes, for me, came to be what I saw as the human equivalent of violins--as vital and integral to the Motown Sound as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's strings. Both The Andantes and the DSO strings produced the same effect: Lasting beauty. It has never diminished. It never will.
    Bruce....that's very lovely....thank you! Glad you'll be listening!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Bruce....that's very lovely....thank you! Glad you'll be listening!
    Listening? Make that DEVOURING. It feels like we're about to go--with you and Louvain--INTO THE VAULTS! I'm not kidding--it really does. The joy and wonders of your NIGHTFLIGHT show--and it's overwhelming uniqueness--just never let up. It's gotta be that host. It's just gotta be. But I don't wanna point the finger. So, I won't.

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Were The Andantes under a written contract with Motown--and, if so, were there outside-job restrictions placed on them as there were with The Funk Bros.?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Restrictions or not, I've heard that The Andantes are the back-up on Frank Sinatra's THAT'S LIFE. Is that true?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

There's been much debate over the back-up of The Supremes' ANY GIRL IN LOVE [[KNOWS WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH). My ear says it's Mary and Flo; others hear The Andantes. Any word about this?

And were The Andantes ever directed to sound like a special person or group members on a recording--and, if so, do you recall the instances?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Did any recording artist or group ever object to having The Andantes being added to their recording? I've heard that Florence Ballard was not happy about this being done on THE HAPPENING. Do you recall that this was, in fact, done and that Flo raised objection or concern about it?
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-11-2012 at 11:42 PM.

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

What was it like working with HDH? Smokey? Ashford & Simpson? Clarence Paul? And the other remarkable producers?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Could you discuss how you felt about working with The Four Tops, especially considering your numerous HDH recordings of their released singles?

And do The Andantes appear on IT'S THE SAME OLD SONG?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Did The Andantes provide the vocals on demos at Motown?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Any memories about [[LIKE A) NIGHTMARE and the use of and decision for a non-Andante lead vocal by Ann Bogan?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

The Supremes' LOVE IS HEAR AND NOW YOU'RE GONE.
    I've always loved the very beginning of that recording--the lovely soprano voices that herald the start of that great tune with those beautiful introductory notes. Was that The Andantes, the fabulous, remarkable Andantes?

John

I know I keep asking...can you record this and put it somewhere so that the likes of us in the UK can hear it later.

What are each of the ladies' favourite moments?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

The name LOUVAIN is such a beautiful one. Can you tell us a bit about it?

And when you first started singing?

And how you met, and started singing with, Jackie and Marlene?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Were The Andantes part of the "Motown 25" festivities? My understanding is that The Funk Bros. were not--and I never understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    John

I know I keep asking...can you record this and put it somewhere so that the likes of us in the UK can hear it later.

What are each of the ladies' favourite moments?

John....I record most all of these important shows...and they go up on www.womr.org in the podcast section on the left of the home page. There's nothing of mine in there right now....but this show will go up as soon as possible. I can ask Louvain HER favorite moment....I only have one Andante with me tonight....
    I think if i had 3...that would be the end of me!

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Do you have a favorite Motown recording that The Andantes appear on?

If someone asked me to show them what exactly The Andantes could do to a recording, without hesitation--WITHOUT THE SLIGHTEST HESITATION--I would play for them The Marvelettes' THIS NIGHT [[or TONIGHT) WAS MADE FOR LOVE. With Gladys Horton on lead and the rest of the marvelous Marvelettes with her, this is a superb recording. Gladys is in top form, as is everyone. But that celestial choir that weaves in and out and around through the entire piece--by way of The Andantes--is an absolutely sensational touch. A true sensation. It's as if The Andantes have kissed the melody, caressed it with their voices. It's that Andantes' touch of immense finesse. And it's gorgeous.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-11-2012 at 10:36 PM.

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Did The Andantes ever accompany the Motortown Revues?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Besides Jackie and Marlene, was there anyone else at Motown that you felt close to?

Did you feel a sense of 'family' there as some others have expressed in the past?

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Did you have a manager while at Motow?

Could you discuss your audition?
    Who was there?
    Who made your hiring decision?

You might want to play "Exodus" by the Originals

Listen to the intro

Hi JP Looking forward to an evening with the lovely Louvain what a great show this is going to be ....

QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

THE RETURN OF THE MARVELETTES album.

I'd be interested to hear about the recording of this, particularly because The jAndantes sound so terrific on it. As does Wanda Rogers as solo artist at the actual time of the recording. Was an album ever more incorrectly named [[although deliberately for name-recognition purposes)?
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 12-11-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Sorry for all the questions, friends.
    I'm just very revved up about tonight's show.
    Very exciting.

I'm done.

For the time-being.

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    Hi JP Looking forward to an evening with the lovely Louvain what a great show this is going to be ....
    Hey Tony!!! Glad you are here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Sorry for all the questions, friends.
    I'm just very revved up about tonight's show.
    Very exciting.

I'm done.

For the time-being.

Well...they DO have pills for that [[*grin)!

....in the studio.....ohh mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Well...they DO have pills for that [[*grin)!
    A pizza would do the trick, actually.
    Works quicker.

Have a great show John, I know you'll get all the great info us fans wanna know!

Yeah...but you'd get pizza stains on this thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Have a great show John, I know you'll get all the great info us fans wanna know!
    Hey there Glen....great to see you!!

Hey there Glen....great to see you!!
    Can somebody post the link so I can catch the show

I have a question also. In Louvain opinion what Motown girlgroup had the best harmony.

John

Are you sure "Trapped" is a Detroit recording?

John

Tell Louvain to shout, some of us are listening over 4000 miles away!!!