[REMOVE ADS]

Heather headley in the bodyguard the musical

Heather Headley’s first two albums, ‘This Is Who I Am’ [[2002) and ‘In My Mind’, [[2006), proved she has a great voice and is a genuine modern day soul singer. Recordings such as ‘Back When It Was‘ and ‘In My Mind’ demonstrated just how good she really is. She is also a great gospel singer.

Her performances in The Lion King and Aida on Broadway gave her experience and recognition as a first rate stage performer, at least in the U.S. However, her profile in the U.K is practically zero.

All that is changing at an incredible rate. She is the lead in the new stage production ‘The Bodyguard: The Musical’ at the Adelphi theatre in London’s West End. My wife and I went on Saturday evening to one of the previews before the official opening this week, Thursday 6th.

I can tell you that she is a global star in the making. I have absolutely no doubt Heather will become one of the greats in the entertainment world. She has it all – a powerful, nuanced, flexible and versatile voice, charisma, stage presence, energy and warmth. She really lit the place up.

Whilst her role is that of Whitney Houston in the film ‘The Bodyguard”, and she does of course perform many of the songs that Whitney initially recorded, in no way is she a facsimile or plagiarist. She performs the songs in her way and extremely effectively.

She is also a fine actress and dancer, and she is truly beautiful, with grace, style and the ability to carry off some great stage costumes.

The plot is amended and simplified, and the screenplay adapted very well for the stage. This is not a throwback; the songs have been updated and are utterly contemporary. The cast are magnificent. Special mention for Debbie Kurup who also performed Whitney songs and was also amazing!!!!

The purpose of this advanced review is to urge all of you who can possibly get to the performances in London to do so. This not bland soul - less theatre. You will have a terrific experience, and you will undoubtedly agree this is the time when Heather becomes a global superstar. She has it all. And after the play finishes, there is a sensational performance of ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’ with the entire cast on stage. The roof came off!!!!!

Oh and Heather played to NATIONAL PRIMETIME AUDIENCES in the UK this week when her performance of ‘I Will Always Love You’ at the Albert Hall in front of Queen Elizabeth II was televised.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/165914/...ways-love-you/

Press Conference Preview

And same press conference preview
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh7D32mWWO0

And not forgetting Debbie Kurup [[ Nutbush City Limits as no video of her in The Bodyguard yet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOG4wrxP7ns
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-04-2012 at 05:35 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Back in 2001, Heather Headley played Lorelle in a Broadway concert performance of Dreamgirls. So far, I can’t find her rendition of “Ain’t No Party” up on youtube. But Heather is a great talent. She may be too “theater” to become a mainstream star, but she’ll always find work on the stage.

Spot on smark21, she is indeed a great talent.

I think she is well on the way to being a mainstream talent, by that I mean a star with MOR worldwide renown and recognition. I think her 'transition' from recording artist to stage artist is complete. I have to think, professionally and business wise, her future is far more assured as a star of theatre than if she were a soul singer looking for gigs and in competition with so many other soul artists. It's very tough to sustain a lasting lucrative career as a singer, with your fees tied to the success of your latest recordings. I believe she is as soulful as ever, but stage appearances demand strict adherence to the plot, the script and the timing.
    I think it inevitable that the spontaneity and and raw energy that soul singing exhibits will unfortunately diminish over time, but it is still very much there at the moment - she is thrilling in the micro concert given after the final curtain call.

Also her audience is changing rapidly, and it's true that most of the audience in time will be comprised of the mainstream public who have little interest in or knowledge of soul music in general. I guess it's kind of our loss as soul fans, although her future as a mainstream performer is assured. I guess the next logical step in her trajectory is acting in the movies........ it's just super to see genuine talent make the breakthrough, no autotune, gimmick videos, or headline grabbing publicity stunts and faux diva behaviour.

just posted interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRgNUqrjoE
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.