[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    What's funny to me is so many bitch about what Mary is doing to keep the name Supreme current and herself as well. Nobody else is helping her or fronting most of these projects. If there were a publisher like Rollingstone magazine behind this effort, maybe we would have gotten a better quality product. I'm just thankful somebody offered to do this and she accepted, because no one else has. One more thing, Lynda was a Supreme temporary or not she still was a SUPREME.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    She has already had offers from publishers. She's being too picky and not accepting their offers. NOW... I finally got my magazine today, and I expected it to be MUCH better than it was. Don't get me wrong, there are some real gems in there.. but there are FAR too many low resolution images, images which need to be color corrected, and the album cover shots? ATROCIOUS! Did Bego just pull these scans off the internet? Because they look like crap. As a photo editor he sucks donkey balls. I could have done a far better job making this look GOOD. And even if he was going to use screen captures, he didn't use very good ones. You need to guage the image in the magazine to the size of your original image or SMALLER, and if you have to blow it up too large, you will lose resolution, hence, only use high quality 8X10's for full page photos. The picture on the BACK COVER looks awful! And me and many fans have the crystal clear 8X10 of that picture, and shrinking it down to that size should have made it so clear it would knock your socks off! Between that and the typos, a VERY amatuerish job, looks like it was just thrown together... but seeing how many books Bego has written, his stock and trade is obviously just throwing things together. Like I said, there are some GEMS that were scanned and done properly, but the bad ones bring down the look of the entire magazine. And if the front cover was simply a pic of DMF in a glamor shot, then this would sell more copies. The cover I feel is too busy, and the pic of Mary should have been inside the front cover, with a lovely foreward written by her on page 1.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, Mary should have had some solid publishing magazine, photo shop etc, people around doing editing and paying attention to detail, but let me tell you i never expected an all Supremes magazine and Mary did the best she could have especiallly since she probably had to finance this project herself and hopfully she will get some high sales on this project. Though I am extemely happy with this, and other fans will complain, perhaps in 2014 we will get another magazine on the 50th anniversary of that little ditty neither one of the supremes liked 'WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO" album and single.

Another great show, John.

supremester Guest
    I don't see how Mary has kept the legacy alive - she feeds off of it, but The Flos have a more Supreme-esque act and Miss Ross performs more Supremes songs in their entirety for more people than anyone - plus she delivers what the public wants most: quality arrangements honoring the originals, the same glamour and most important, the lead voice that everyone loved to begin with. Additionally, she honors the group with video of ALL Supremes and did salutes to the legacy in many of her TV specials around the world. She also protected the legacy by not discussing the family business goings on - even after Mary began marketing it - including how many songs did not feature Mary, Cindy OR Flo. She could easily have shot at Mary with quotes like "I loved all the girls - there were so many. We had different writers, producers, arrangers and 7 different background groupings on our hits - the only constant was my voice...... I don't recall seeing Mary around that much and I know she wasn't on Love Child< Someday and entire albums." Instead, she never said a word and kept it still. Even after Mary began saying that "Motown began to use The Andantes after Flo left to get the public used to Diane's voice alone...." A lie don't care who tell it. Yes, Mary has worked to keep the legacy alive, but not any more than anyone else. And not without profit. I'm glad she has the dresses touring - but she charges for it - as she should. My point is, her legacy keeping is not selfless. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Everybody has their favorite Supreme but at the end of the day it an Institution and not built around anyone now, but thanks to Mary the legacy is kept alive, and she certainly has that right to call it My Supremes, she's been at the helm forever..

supremester Guest
    I think if all The Supremes got together, as it should have been, and made a joint effort - Rolling Stone would gladly have done it. They know the kind of pandering dreck that Bego excretes and prolly didn't want to do a limited interest vanity piece.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    What's funny to me is so many bitch about what Mary is doing to keep the name Supreme current and herself as well. Nobody else is helping her or fronting most of these projects. If there were a publisher like Rollingstone magazine behind this effort, maybe we would have gotten a better quality product. I'm just thankful somebody offered to do this and she accepted, because no one else has. One more thing, Lynda was a Supreme temporary or not she still was a SUPREME.

supremester Guest
    I have the Soul Magazine June 1972 "An Open Letter To The Newest Supreme" where Mary BEGS the fans to accept new MEMBER Lynda. She's so full of opportunistic memories, or is just habitually untruthful, that she'll say anything that sounds good at the time. I could cite a dozen examples with page numbers if anyone doubts this. Mary doesn't have it easy and I don't blame her for trying to make a buck while she can, but this petty bitchy stuff is not only chipping away at her meager fan base, but harming "the legacy" in epic proportions. She should try burying the hatchet and honoring all Supremes. I'm so glad Miss Ross keeps her distance from this dark light. Mary: CHILL!

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Mary Wilson: Supreme Faith

pg. 61

Cindy was expecting her first child in the fall and didn't plan to return to the group after that. She had always been very open about whatever was on her mind, and many times she mentioned that she might leave. Still, it was a surprise when she finally announced she was going.

pg. 117

I'd hired Cindy assuming that Lynda too was leaving.

Why did Mary say Cindy was leaving and not coming back? Why did Mary have to "hire" Cindy when she thought Lynda was going to quit?

supremester Guest
    Maybe Mark & Mary wrote that after that after Oscar party they attended and got smashed at. Sadly, even IF Bego wrote it, Mary, High Queen Protoctor Of The Legacy, should have read it and made sure it was Supreme so that cynics might not think it was just slapped together to make a quick buck - further damaging the legacy with cheap, poorly produced stabs at a quick buck.[QUOTE=carole cucumber;133648]
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

I do know that Jean, Mary & Cindy SHARED leads on that song. The text indicates that Mary was the sole lead vocalist on "Bridge Over Troubled Water'
    Earlier the writer [[likely Mark Bego & not Mary Wilson) states "Following what had been done by recording The Supremes with The Temptations in the 60's came a new combination: by teaming The Supremes with another popular group: The Four Tops' The resulting album , The Magnificent Seven found Mary and Cindy PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED WITH SOLO VOCALS.

Had Mark merely meant part of the lead , he would have said so- as he did for the Magnificent seven.

supremester,
    Could you be more specific? I'd like to know what you REALLY think.

Is this magazine available anywhere in Canada? I cant find it on Amazon USA or Amazon Canada anymore. Initially, it was only on Amazon USA and the shipping was $20 to Canada. Even if there are errors, a fan will want it. Any ideas where to get it now?

Jobeterob
    I got my copy on eBay and I see that just minutes ago one vendor is listing it for &9.99 plus $9.99 postage to Canada, which is probably the best deal you'll get. Maybe you could check with the Magazine Department at Chapters if there is one in your city. Maybe they can track it down and order copies. The magazine lists for $7.99 on the newsstand. Good luck!

supremester Guest
    I'm a very private person and prefer to keep my opinions to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    supremester,
    Could you be more specific? I'd like to know what you REALLY think.

supremester Guest
    Rob, as it turns out, I have an extra as I bought one for a sick friend who has one already. If you email me< it would be my pleasure to send it to you.

supremester2@yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Is this magazine available anywhere in Canada? I cant find it on Amazon USA or Amazon Canada anymore. Initially, it was only on Amazon USA and the shipping was $20 to Canada. Even if there are errors, a fan will want it. Any ideas where to get it now?

Mary Wilson is the keeper of the Supremes Legacy [[and no one else!) I think she and Mark Bego did a great job on the Mary Wilson My Supremes commemorative magazine. I hope it sells a million copies.

smark21 Guest
    I think Mary Wilson and Mark Bego should get Penny to spearhead the sales campaign for the magazine. If she can sell the magazine like she does her Avon products, then the magazine should easily sell a million.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I think Mary Wilson and Mark Bego should get Penny to spearhead the sales campaign for the magazine. If she can sell the magazine like she does her Avon products, then the magazine should easily sell a million.
    Hell with Penny, Marv1 and Marv2 at it, go for Diananumbers ~ 10 million.

supremester Guest
    It's great that, just as Her Most Supreme Highness Diana Ross said 12 years ago, Lynda is keeping the legacy alive - and on a global scale! Especially now that Mary has stated publicly what most of the world has known for years: that singing Supremes songs is not her forte', The Flos are more important than ever keeping the act alive. I am proud of them and of Mary, realizing that she is a great balladeer and not a pop/rock singer. You Go Lynda! Gil told me how much he loved working with Lynda when she was a Supreme - how talented she was, how musical.

The Flos will be at The Razz Room in June - don't miss this special engagement!

Quote Originally Posted by ivyfield View Post
    Well the Supreme lady helped me create the Supremely Yours II project, did some solo work in Australia with Gil Askey earlier this year, and gigs as a member of FLOS - with more to come before the end of this year...

It's all over--Barnes and Noble, newstands everywhere...it's about time the Beatles and Beach Boys got some competition!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It's all over--Barnes and Noble, newstands everywhere...it's about time the Beatles and Beach Boys got some competition!!
    I've seen it many places. I may buy a few more copies myself!

Marv-look at Reflections album cover in there--center right--is that Flo next to Mary??

supremester Guest
    You can never have too many, I always say!

I've seen it many places. I may buy a few more copies myself!

supremester Guest
    Like a Supremes rash!

[QUOTE=luke;136620]It's all over--

supremester Guest
    I too hope it sells well - Mary deserves it. I just wish she had proofed it so the errors wouldn't be so................erroneous - it cheapens the final product that should be a cherished keepsake for millions of Supremesters worldwide. Now that Mary has officially stated singing leads on Supremes songs isn't her talent, her shows will feature even less of the music we all cleave to our collective, ample bosoms, Lynda, Scherrie and Miss Ross' roles in legacy keeping will be even that much greater. It's a badge they all wear proudly.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I too hope it sells well - Mary deserves it. I just wish she had proofed it so the errors wouldn't be so................erroneous - it cheapens the final product that should be a cherished keepsake for millions of Supremesters worldwide. Now that Mary has officially stated singing leads on Supremes songs isn't her talent, her shows will feature even less of the music we all cleave to our collective, ample bosoms, Lynda, Scherrie and Miss Ross' roles in legacy keeping will be even that much greater. It's a badge they all wear proudly.
    Supremester you keep harping on Mary siinging lead on the Supremes songs is not her fote respectfully they are not Lynda's and Scherrie's forte either they all do non Supremes songs much better. Will you give it a rest already.
    Thanks

supremester Guest
    I agree, Marv. We should just dismiss what May wrote on page 61 in Supreme Faith as just [[another) untruth. Clearly lynda gave up her job with Stevie Wonder to sub for Cindy [[who had just announced her retirement from The Supremes to be a housewife) for the frequent flyer miles. Why NOT pester Stevie Wonder, whose career was exploding, to drop everything and write and produce a single for the group she was leaving? If it weren't for Lynda, Jean's swan song wooda been I guess I'll Miss The Man and there wooda been no song to throw whistles into the audience to! God Bless Lynda The Temp!

I wasn't there. I was in Jr. High. Mary was and she says that Lynda was just a temp.

supremester Guest
    That's me.

Marv-look at Reflections album cover in there--center right--is that Flo next to Mary??

Luke, when I get the chance I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I have the Soul Magazine June 1972 "An Open Letter To The Newest Supreme" where Mary BEGS the fans to accept new MEMBER Lynda. She's so full of opportunistic memories, or is just habitually untruthful, that she'll say anything that sounds good at the time. I could cite a dozen examples with page numbers if anyone doubts this. Mary doesn't have it easy and I don't blame her for trying to make a buck while she can, but this petty bitchy stuff is not only chipping away at her meager fan base, but harming "the legacy" in epic proportions. She should try burying the hatchet and honoring all Supremes. I'm so glad Miss Ross keeps her distance from this dark light. Mary: CHILL!
    And here's a 1974 interview where Mary mentions Lynda as a temporary Supreme. How come fans didn't cry foul back then? Personally, in my opinion, a Supreme is a Supreme. Just adding to the mystery.....

By David Nathan
    Copyright [[c) 2010 by David Nathan/Soul Music.com
    Home > SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES > Classic Interviews & Features > CLASSIC FEATURE: The Supremes 1974 Interview

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists. Kicking off, with the departure of Florence Ballard, then, of course Diana Ross, the group has tried to retain the success formula that once put them way above all their competitors.

But what with these internal changes, the departure of the Holland/Dozier/Holland team and what appears to be some confusion as to which direction the group should head, their success – or at least chart success – has been severly restricted of late. Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean.

"How did we manage to find her? Well, Lamont Dozier heard that we were looking for a new Supreme a few months back and he knew that Sherrie was unhappy being with The Glasshouse so he suggested we might like to get together. She's now been with us for some three months and everything seems to be working out well."

With all these constant changes, I asked Mary if she ever got tired and considered just giving it all up. "No, never!" was her swift and indignant reply. She qualified it further.

"Sure I get tired with all the comings and goings but I'd never consider going solo. The Supremes mean too much to me and to so many people that I wouldn't even dream about just quitting altogether. No, I've never even thought about making it on my own!"

Mary did admit that the group have been going through a pretty rough patch chartwise and she explained: "We were all very disappointed that 'Bad Weather' didn't make it and we really don't know why. I personally thought it had all the right ingredients for a hit but we've been told that one of the problems these days is that unless you're on the charts consistently, a lot of radio stations just won't give you a chance."

"The fact is that we haven't had a big chart record for a long time now so that may have been one of the reasons why no one really got onto that single. But, you know, it's a totally concentrated effort and it really is a matter of coming up with right material at the right time. A lot of hard work goes into coming up with the right record and finding the right producer. Since 'Bad Weather' we haven't recorded anything with anyone but we expect to be starting back into the studios very shortly."

Any suggestion that possibly the girls might be behind the times is almost totally rejected since Mary feels that the public expects certain things from The Supremes and it's very hard for the group to move off into a totally different direction. She concedes that not having had a big hit record may have lost the group some of its followers and she does feel that a big hit would bring a whole new audience to the girls.

"However, we are well aware that there are still many people who have been with us from the beginning and are still with us – and we really appreciate them."

Mary revealed that she doesn't expect The Supremes to undergo many major changes as far as their act is concerned and she says that with the return of Cindy and the arrival of Sherrie, there will be more sharing of the lead singer's task. "Both Sherrie and I will be sharing lead and Cindy will gradually be doing that too. In fact all of us will be doing a little of our own thing in the future on stage."

On a completely personal level, Miss Wilson is no longer Miss Wilson – since she was married several weeks back to a young gentleman she met in Puerto Rico, Mr. Pedro Ferrez. What happened? "We just met and fell in love!" was the straight answer I got to a pretty dumb question! Mary said that she digs being married since "all my friends have got married now – Diana, Cindy and so on. I guess it's about time for me." She intends to start up a family in due course and the girls' future schedule is being planned to ensure that they have sufficient time at home with their families.

On the subject of coming over to this country, Mary said that there had been plans for the girls to make it during April but the energy crisis had put paid to that. "We do expect to get back around September. In the meantime, please say 'hi' to everyone from me, won't you?" No doubt, by the time we see The Supremes again, the new line-up will have established itself and hopefully they'll be returning with a hit record under their collective belts. It's surely only a matter of time before The Supremes are back on the hit track.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    And here's a 1974 interview where Mary mentions Lynda as a temporary Supreme. How come fans didn't cry foul back then? Personally, in my opinion, a Supreme is a Supreme. Just adding to the mystery.....
    Some fans did cry foul back then. There have always been inconsistencies in Mary's interviews. Thanks to the Internet, you can pull up dozens of interviews where she says something that is convenient at the time , but sounds silly or proven not to be true today.

Even in the interview above , she says that she will never go solo. She says that Cindy is back permanently and yet we know that she was fired by Pedro. She says that Jean just left and does not know the reason why. She knew why. And the fans knew why because people associated with Motown were also members of the fan club. Jean and Lynda did not like the lack of support that the group was getting at Motown and wanted the group to leave. But if they left, the name would stay at Motown. Mary felt naked without the Supreme name and did not want to take the chance. [[ Even today as a soloist, she continues to use the name in her billing) She stayed and Jean and Lynda left. Thankfully, Cindy agreed to come back and at least that gave the group some continuity. Both Lynda and Cindy have come to the rescue of Mary and the Supremes more than once.

The article above says that Mary does not know why Jean left, that Lynda was a temp , that Mary would not go solo and that Cindy is back permanently. Not bashin'. Just sayin'
    Last edited by milven; 01-08-2013 at 10:26 AM.

I doubt Mary wanted to air the dirty laundry at that time. She wanted to get a new record out and wanted Motown behind it. Not sure what the inconsistency is with Lynda. She filled in for Cindy.[[Cindy has confirmed that). At the time Mary had no plans to go solo.

Mary Wilson is the keeper of the Supremes Legacy [[and no one else!) I think she and Mark Bego did a great job on the Mary Wilson My Supremes commemorative magazine. I hope it sells a million copies.
    I am pleased to advise that it might be well on its way to selling a million copies. Where I live [[Southern Delaware) both K Mart and the local Wal Mart had in stock over a dozen copies. As of yesterday both stores were totally sold out. Keep in mind that the cover says keep on display until March 4, 2013. I am shocked that it is completely sold out. Maybe there will be a demand reprinting.

OMG I just realised I got a copy of this from New York for theboyatcrosstown and have forgotten to post it to him - if you are reading this John then I promise I'll get it in the post this week.

I still believe Mary is the one who has poured more into the Supremes than anyone since Flo and Diana left the group. Yes it is nice Diana does a supremes tribute by singing the songs, but I don't recall ms ross putting any videos up of the 70's Supremes Jean, Mary and Cindy in her shows, and further if this magazine had not come out under Mary's input, do you think, Diana, Lynda, or Scherrie would have done so I think not, but don't get me wrong I love Diana's, Lynda's and Scherrie's music in all its glory.

Diana Ross IS The Supremes...and she's the ONLY person that this statement can truly be said about..read it and weep..

My newstand said it is selling very well and they are almost sold out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Diana Ross IS The Supremes...and she's the ONLY person that this statement can truly be said about..read it and weep..
    Here comes the mud slugging, this post is about Mary Wilson's "My Supremes" magazine not about Diana Ross whose latest stunt is storming out of restaurants because of rules that are not followed, now how is that for being a star supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Here comes the mud slugging, this post is about Mary Wilson's "My Supremes" magazine not about Diana Ross whose latest stunt is storming out of restaurants because of rules that are not followed, now how is that for being a star supreme.
    And instead of ingoring JIimLaLumia you just got down to his level and roll in the mud with him. Really Frances.

Roberta

I'm so fed up with the mudslinging that I've even got me on "Ignore" now!

Not once did I ever see this magazine in Minnesota. And honey, I am always at Target and actually made several trips to Barnes and Noble. I'm lucky I bought mine off eBay when I did.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Mary Wilson herself said she picked up some copies; don't know if that means she is selling them, but if you haven't gotten one, it might be worth a try to contact her.

Depending on how the magazine is displayed, it might be hard to see. I've seen it at a couple of stores, and each time it was positioned with other magazines in front of it. The most that could be seen was Mary's forehead.

I saw it because I knew what I was looking for. But it could slip past casual buyers who might actually be interested.

Barnes and Noble has it front and center!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Depending on how the magazine is displayed, it might be hard to see. I've seen it at a couple of stores, and each time it was positioned with other magazines in front of it. The most that could be seen was Mary's forehead.

I saw it because I knew what I was looking for. But it could slip past casual buyers who might actually be interested.
    Interesting. One would think I would have spotted Mary's forehead. I'll have to keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm so fed up with the mudslinging that I've even got me on "Ignore" now!
    I love the "ignore" feature. Thankfully I don't have to read the bullshite by the number one offender. Sometimes the threads don't make much sense, but when do they ever do, LOL.