[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I didn't realize Mary didn't take control of the Supremes business until 1973. That is when they went into a real lull and nothing much happened until the hopefulness of High Energy. It was probably all doomed no matter what they did ~ Lynda, Scherrie, or even if Jean had stayed or Diana came back. They were "yesterdays" by 1973.

And yes Marv, many of us recall an actual Supreme coming into one of these threads to remind you that "you were not there".

Temporary Supreme or not Lynda made enough appearances with the group to make herself known. From 1972-73 the group appeared constantly on TV with Lynda. Even when Cindy came back into the group Mary's plan was to carry on the group with her, Cindy and Lynda...then when Lynda saw Pedro was taking over the group she dropped out. And whoever said Mary was ALWAYS with the Supremes, to be technical there was a couple nights in 1972 where Mary was sick and Jean, Cindy and Lynda performed and in her own words she doubts anyone even noticed or cared.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is NOT true! The few performances lof Mary,Cindy and Lynda occurred while Jean Terrell was still in the group. She was out due to illness or attitude!
    And in each of these, [[Hawaii & the Copa) Lynda was called upon to serve as the lead singer. According to Mary, their then manager and Motown wanted to cancel. Lynda saved face for them and again, according to Mary 'was great' as lead singer.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 11-30-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    This is too funny! The games have begun over a magazine. Perhaps marv2 should write what "actually" happened since he was there and has all the facts for a book of his own. Then the world will be finally able to move on about what really took place in The Supremes and sleep at night. As far as "Diane" goes, I would just call her Di or maybe even Earle. I'll check the birth certificate wallpaper replica I have in my 1000 sq. ft. Supremes Worship Room. Oh and by the way, those gowns Mary can't locate....??? Haven't seen 'em.
    LOL marv2 was road manager and luke was the wardrobe mistresss for the Supremes from 1962 until 1977 so they know everything they is to know.

Thanks for the laugh nathanj06 that was real funny.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

All of this over a Supreme magazine that will be lucky to sell a few thousand copies. lol

Roberta

This Supremes thing is funny. If Lynda was a "temp", why was she picked to sing in placement of Jean when Jean left, why even have her on the cover of "Floy Joy" and then have her sing on material between 1972 and 1973 or whatever if she was a "temp". Technically, Cindy started her Supremes career as a "temp" for Flo in 1967 and the same could be same for Marlene Barrow when Flo was absent on some gigs [[which was telling to the owner of the Copacabana who ordered Berry to get Flo or the gig was off). In Mary's mind, though, it seems the only ones she think were "real Supremes" were her, Flo and Diana and the rest were "temps" to her. Even Cindy was dismissed when it came time for the '60s era Supremes to be inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame though Cindy didn't really sing on the post-Flo '60s hits [[and neither did Mary in that regard).

I consider Lynda to be a real Supreme. I saw Mary was upset that Lynda was picked for Diana's 2000 tour when she decided not to do it. Lynda was part of the FLOS so I could see why Diana picked her and Scherrie when Mary dropped and then Cindy decided not to do it because her heart wasn't really in it at the time [[Cindy didn't really perform much after leaving the Supremes in 1976).

Sad thing is Lynda definitely could've brought more to the table than she did. But I think also, the situation with Motown was a difficult one. I think their Motown contract was up by the time the Supremes put out "Bad Weather". Once Jean left, it became difficult for the Supremes to continue as they did. After Scherrie Payne was brought into the group and Cindy returned - either by Mary asking her or just simply hiring her - it was a struggle before they finally signed a new Motown contract and around this time, Pedro Ferrer started managing the group - due to Mary. I don't know, those late periods of the Supremes were really nightmarish IMHO. They were doing real good with Mary, Jean and Cindy and then that fell apart. Sad.

But of course with this magazine, obviously it was gonna be biased based on Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Temporary Supreme or not Lynda made enough appearances with the group to make herself known. From 1972-73 the group appeared constantly on TV with Lynda. Even when Cindy came back into the group Mary's plan was to carry on the group with her, Cindy and Lynda...then when Lynda saw Pedro was taking over the group she dropped out. And whoever said Mary was ALWAYS with the Supremes, to be technical there was a couple nights in 1972 where Mary was sick and Jean, Cindy and Lynda performed and in her own words she doubts anyone even noticed or cared.
    Now that's interesting. I do remember seeing videos of audio where it said the Supremes lineup of some performances were Jean, Cindy and Lynda. Cindy also felt uncomfortable with Pedro which is the reason she finally left the Supremes for good in 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    And if I am not mistaken, Jean and Lynda did not leave at the same time. Jean first, then Lynda. That is why there were, for some performances, Mary, Lynda and Cindy. With that being said, how did Cindy replace Lynda when Lynda was still in the group? Hmmmmm.

That's not the way it went Mary. It was Lynda, Mary and Cindy when Jean was sick and still an official member of the group.

Cindy came back to the group after Lynda left.

I wonder why Motown included her in this collage if she was only a temp and not a true Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Now that's interesting. I do remember seeing videos of audio where it said the Supremes lineup of some performances were Jean, Cindy and Lynda. Cindy also felt uncomfortable with Pedro which is the reason she finally left the Supremes for good in 1976.
    It was never Jean, Lynda and Cindy. It was Lynda, Mary and Cindy for a few performances though.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I didn't realize Mary didn't take control of the Supremes business until 1973. That is when they went into a real lull and nothing much happened until the hopefulness of High Energy. It was probably all doomed no matter what they did ~ Lynda, Scherrie, or even if Jean had stayed or Diana came back. They were "yesterdays" by 1973.

And yes Marv, many of us recall an actual Supreme coming into one of these threads to remind you that "you were not there".
    I don't care! Mary was there and that is all that matters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    And in each of these, [[Hawaii & the Copa) Lynda was called upon to serve as the lead singer. According to Mary, their then manager and Motown wanted to cancel. Lynda saved face for them and again, according to Mary 'was great' as lead singer.
    So what? That is not new news. She was a temp and did what she was told because they paid her! I've never cared for her voice or her way of singing period.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    LOL marv2 was road manager and luke was the wardrobe mistresss for the Supremes from 1962 until 1977 so they know everything they is to know.

Thanks for the laugh nathanj06 that was real funny.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    How would you know anyway? You have your head wedged so far up your.......Bible, you couldn't tell me what day it is! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    All of this over a Supreme magazine that will be lucky to sell a few thousand copies. lol

Roberta
    Then why are you even here and commenting?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I’ve looked through the JML section of the magazine, and four times Lynda is referred to as a temporary replacement for Cindy, though she’s also described as an “asset” to the group.
    After describing her as a temporary replacement FOUR TIMES, I believe they know what they are talking about!

A pleasure Roberta. I'm glad someone has a sense of humor about this frail old newspaper of a story, yellowed and cracking apart by time. However, if someone chooses to live in the past regarding a singing group that is no longer in existence now for 35 years, that is certainly their choice albeit a pathetic one. Musical history is great but this has gone from annoying to hysterical. I was a hardcore fan back when but I certainly grew out of it and in 2012 I still enjoy the music. But I certainly don't care what the hell Lynda Laurence's part was in all this as vague as it was. Neither does 99.9% of the public. This subject will never die in this lifetime but it does still have comedic value.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    It was never Jean, Lynda and Cindy. It was Lynda, Mary and Cindy for a few performances though.
    NEVER?

From 'Supreme Faith' pg 67
    "Lynda called. 'Mary? Jean is very sick again, and she's on her way back to Los Angeles'......Would we cancel the show or go on, just Lynda and me, as a duo? Copa owner Jules Podell was not pleased with either choice, and Motown and our agent wanted to cancel.
    Cindy came in and did the shows with us on Saturday and Sunday, with Lynda singing lead. We had only the gowns we brought with us, and Cindy's pregnancy was showing, so the fit wasn't perfect. Cindy was happy to be back, and I was thankful for her flying in on a moment's notice.then on Tuesday, Jean was back, AND I GOT SICK, so for the FIRST AND ONLY TIME the Supremes performed without a single original member on stage'."

Linda Laurence was signed to Motown and was an official Supreme. She did not however live out her 18 mo probationary period.

The way it worked at Motown, one can assume that all the ladies were temps by contract

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    There was a one-time only line-up of The Supremes in 1972, when Jean, Lynda and Cindy appeared together at The Copacabana.

It happened during the same time engagement that I saw Lynda, Mary and CIndy perform there while Jean was sick. That must have been a rough time for the Supremes. They were constantly at The Copa but in 1972 Jules Podell had to put up with no fewer than four separate groupings of the ladies within the space of one engagement!

Just for the record, the line-up's were:
    Jean, Mary & Lynda
    Mary, Lynda & Cindy
    Jean and Lynda
    Jean, Lynda & Cindy

Did you attend any of these shows milven?

Hey Luke, thanks for this one! I swear, Mary Wilson is all over the place this year.
    I think you may want to rephrase that. Your comment implies something that you obviously did not anticipate when you posted so hastily.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    Is this publication going to be on newstands in Canada, or will I have to go to amazon to get a copy?
    Above barcode: $8.99 US and Canada

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    A pleasure Roberta. I'm glad someone has a sense of humor about this frail old newspaper of a story, yellowed and cracking apart by time. However, if someone chooses to live in the past regarding a singing group that is no longer in existence now for 35 years, that is certainly their choice albeit a pathetic one. Musical history is great but this has gone from annoying to hysterical. I was a hardcore fan back when but I certainly grew out of it and in 2012 I still enjoy the music. But I certainly don't care what the hell Lynda Laurence's part was in all this as vague as it was. Neither does 99.9% of the public. This subject will never die in this lifetime but it does still have comedic value.
    99.9% of the public could consider beer to be a vegatable and I wouldn't care. Since the topic of this thread is Mary Wilson's 50th Anniversary Supremes Magazine, it is completely topical to discuss it's contents. I think you are the one that is out of place with all due respect!

NEVER?

From 'Supreme Faith' pg 67
    "Lynda called. 'Mary? Jean is very sick again, and she's on her way back to Los Angeles'......Would we cancel the show or go on, just Lynda and me, as a duo? Copa owner Jules Podell was not pleased with either choice, and Motown and our agent wanted to cancel.
    Cindy came in and did the shows with us on Saturday and Sunday, with Lynda singing lead. We had only the gowns we brought with us, and Cindy's pregnancy was showing, so the fit wasn't perfect. Cindy was happy to be back, and I was thankful for her flying in on a moment's notice.then on Tuesday, Jean was back, AND I GOT SICK, so for the FIRST AND ONLY TIME the Supremes performed without a single original member on stage'."
    I wonder how many people bought Supreme Faith. Guess if Diana and Flo ain't in it, who cared?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Linda Laurence was signed to Motown and was an official Supreme. She did not however live out her 18 mo probationary period.

The way it worked at Motown, one can assume that all the ladies were temps by contract
    Didn't the original Supremes sign a new contract in the mid-1960s that speculated if any of them left the group, Motown would keep the Supremes name and in turn just have anyone sign a contract with Motown and to be a Supreme until they left? That can explain why Motown cancel the Supremes once Mary Wilson decided to leave.

[QUOTE=marybrewster;133406]

It bothers me more that this late in the game we still have "typos" such as "A Bag of Liverpool" and "Splish Splash". Who proofed this? Obviously no one that "knows" the Supremes would have let this slip.

Sad that something so cool comes across as being half-assed. I wish someone like Andy or George would have had their hands in this. Not that they aren't without fault, but they certainly know their facts[Quote]

Both Andy Skurow and George Solomon [[among others) are listed in the credits for supplying photos. However, it seems that only a few photos are actually captioned as to ownership- yes, you guessed it- a few provided by Mary Wilson & by Mark Bego .

There are proofreaders listed- Dave Markin [[who is also copy editor) and Patrick Wood [[also named as a contributor). I wonder what their ages might be and if they ever actually listened to many Supremes' albums/cd's?

I also suspect that as the writers are listed as Mark Bego & Mary Wilson, that Mark wrote the majority of the actual text, often throwing in his own bias. Mary likely trusted him and didn't peruse the copy all that closely. Had Mary read the text, she would have corrected the errors already mentioned and this one.. 'Mary's lead vocals on Simon & Garfunkel's " Bridge Over Troubled Water" . How Mary got herself to sound just like Jean and Cindy must be one of the greatest mysteries of the early 70's!

And I hope that all noticed that Mark Bego likely does not have a copy of "This Is The Story The 70's Albums Vol 1, 1970-1973 The Jean Terrell Years"- as it is not pictured, yet Volume 2 is. I'm sure that Mary would have provided her copy for inclusion.

David Nathan's 1974 Interview with Mary Wilson on Changes Within the Supremes

Home|A-Z Artist Pages |The Soul Music.com Store|Soul Music.com Records|David Nathan's Pages|Dedicated To Soul Radio Show

Soul Music Archives
    SOUL MUSIC PODCASTS
    SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES
    SOUL MUSIC TRACKS & VIDEOS
    Motown 50th AnniversarySoul Talkin'
    Soul Jones Blog
    Soul Talkin' [[Editorial)
    Express Yourself! Appreciation Features
    Soul Music Tributes
    David Nathan On Twitter & FacebookReviews
    CD & DVD Reviews
    Concert & Festival ReviewsJoin the Soul Music.com Mailing List!
    Receive site updates on classic R&B/soul music and site additions at Soul Music.com and The Soul Music Store!

By David Nathan
    Copyright [[c) 2010 by David Nathan/Soul Music.com
    Home > SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES > Classic Interviews & Features > CLASSIC FEATURE: The Supremes 1974 Interview

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists. Kicking off, with the departure of Florence Ballard, then, of course Diana Ross, the group has tried to retain the success formula that once put them way above all their competitors.

But what with these internal changes, the departure of the Holland/Dozier/Holland team and what appears to be some confusion as to which direction the group should head, their success – or at least chart success – has been severly restricted of late. Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean.

"How did we manage to find her? Well, Lamont Dozier heard that we were looking for a new Supreme a few months back and he knew that Sherrie was unhappy being with The Glasshouse so he suggested we might like to get together. She's now been with us for some three months and everything seems to be working out well."

With all these constant changes, I asked Mary if she ever got tired and considered just giving it all up. "No, never!" was her swift and indignant reply. She qualified it further.

"Sure I get tired with all the comings and goings but I'd never consider going solo. The Supremes mean too much to me and to so many people that I wouldn't even dream about just quitting altogether. No, I've never even thought about making it on my own!"

Mary did admit that the group have been going through a pretty rough patch chartwise and she explained: "We were all very disappointed that 'Bad Weather' didn't make it and we really don't know why. I personally thought it had all the right ingredients for a hit but we've been told that one of the problems these days is that unless you're on the charts consistently, a lot of radio stations just won't give you a chance."

"The fact is that we haven't had a big chart record for a long time now so that may have been one of the reasons why no one really got onto that single. But, you know, it's a totally concentrated effort and it really is a matter of coming up with right material at the right time. A lot of hard work goes into coming up with the right record and finding the right producer. Since 'Bad Weather' we haven't recorded anything with anyone but we expect to be starting back into the studios very shortly."

Any suggestion that possibly the girls might be behind the times is almost totally rejected since Mary feels that the public expects certain things from The Supremes and it's very hard for the group to move off into a totally different direction. She concedes that not having had a big hit record may have lost the group some of its followers and she does feel that a big hit would bring a whole new audience to the girls.

"However, we are well aware that there are still many people who have been with us from the beginning and are still with us – and we really appreciate them."

Mary revealed that she doesn't expect The Supremes to undergo many major changes as far as their act is concerned and she says that with the return of Cindy and the arrival of Sherrie, there will be more sharing of the lead singer's task. "Both Sherrie and I will be sharing lead and Cindy will gradually be doing that too. In fact all of us will be doing a little of our own thing in the future on stage."

On a completely personal level, Miss Wilson is no longer Miss Wilson – since she was married several weeks back to a young gentleman she met in Puerto Rico, Mr. Pedro Ferrez. What happened? "We just met and fell in love!" was the straight answer I got to a pretty dumb question! Mary said that she digs being married since "all my friends have got married now – Diana, Cindy and so on. I guess it's about time for me." She intends to start up a family in due course and the girls' future schedule is being planned to ensure that they have sufficient time at home with their families.

On the subject of coming over to this country, Mary said that there had been plans for the girls to make it during April but the energy crisis had put paid to that. "We do expect to get back around September. In the meantime, please say 'hi' to everyone from me, won't you?" No doubt, by the time we see The Supremes again, the new line-up will have established itself and hopefully they'll be returning with a hit record under their collective belts. It's surely only a matter of time before The Supremes are back on the hit track.

Click here for THE SUPREMES STORE AT SOUL MUSIC.COM for CDs, MP3s, bio, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber;133641

It bothers me more that this late in the game we still have "typos" such as "A Bag of Liverpool" and "Splish Splash". Who proofed this? Obviously no one that "knows" the Supremes would have let this slip.

Sad that something so cool comes across as being half-assed. I wish someone like Andy or George would have had their hands in this. Not that they aren't without fault, but they certainly know their facts[Quote

Both Andy Skurow and George Solomon [[among others) are listed in the credits for supplying photos. However, it seems that only a few photos are actually captioned as to ownership- yes, you guessed it- a few provided by Mary Wilson & by Mark Bego .

There are proofreaders listed- Dave Markin [[who is also copy editor) and Patrick Wood [[also named as a contributor). I wonder what their ages might be and if they ever actually listened to many Supremes' albums/cd's?

I also suspect that as the writers are listed as Mark Bego & Mary Wilson, that Mark wrote the majority of the actual text, often throwing in his own bias. Mary likely trusted him and didn't peruse the copy all that closely. Had Mary read the text, she would have corrected the errors already mentioned and this one.. 'Mary's lead vocals on Simon & Garfunkel's " Bridge Over Troubled Water" . How Mary got herself to sound just like Jean and Cindy must be one of the greatest mysteries of the early 70's!

And I hope that all noticed that Mark Bego likely does not have a copy of "This Is The Story The 70's Albums Vol 1, 1970-1973 The Jean Terrell Years"- as it is not pictured, yet Volume 2 is. I'm sure that Mary would have provided her copy for inclusion.
    Carole, you evidently don't know the Supremes music that well yourself! Mary Wilson did sing part of the lead on "Bridge Over Troubled Waters". Give it a listen sometime. Learn something new before you begin criticizing others.........

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I wonder how many people bought Supreme Faith. Guess if Diana and Flo ain't in it, who cared?
    Diana and Flo are mentioned in it quite often. Because Mary [[and Patty Romanowski) want to tie the two parts of the story together [[and as it was reported that Mary had originally hoped to only write in one volume the complete story of Mary Wilson & the Supremes) there are many recollections and references to information in "Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme' . But Mary also incorporates Flo into the narrative as she interacts with Mary/the Supremes in the early-mid 70's and Diana throughout the book's time-frame.

[QUOTE=marv2;133645][QUOTE=carole cucumber;133641

Carole, you evidently don't know the Supremes music that well yourself! Mary Wilson did sing part of the lead on "Bridge Over Troubled Waters". Give it a listen sometime. Learn something new before you begin criticizing others.........[/QUOTE]

I do know that Jean, Mary & Cindy SHARED leads on that song. The text indicates that Mary was the sole lead vocalist on "Bridge Over Troubled Water'
    Earlier the writer [[likely Mark Bego & not Mary Wilson) states "Following what had been done by recording The Supremes with The Temptations in the 60's came a new combination: by teaming The Supremes with another popular group: The Four Tops' The resulting album , The Magnificent Seven found Mary and Cindy PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED WITH SOLO VOCALS.

Had Mark merely meant part of the lead , he would have said so- as he did for the Magnificent seven.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Mary Wilson: Supreme Faith

pg. 61

Cindy was expecting her first child in the fall and didn't plan to return to the group after that. She had always been very open about whatever was on her mind, and many times she mentioned that she might leave. Still, it was a surprise when she finally announced she was going.

pg. 117

I'd hired Cindy assuming that Lynda too was leaving.

Why did Mary say Cindy was leaving and not coming back? Why did Mary have to "hire" Cindy when she thought Lynda was going to quit?
    That passage in Mary's book is there because Cindy did NOT plan on coming back at first, but changed her mind, even before the baby was born, hence the reason she was on standby for anyone who got sick.

[QUOTE=carole cucumber;133648]

I do know that Jean, Mary & Cindy SHARED leads on that song. The text indicates that Mary was the sole lead vocalist on "Bridge Over Troubled Water'
    Earlier the writer [[likely Mark Bego & not Mary Wilson) states "Following what had been done by recording The Supremes with The Temptations in the 60's came a new combination: by teaming The Supremes with another popular group: The Four Tops' The resulting album , The Magnificent Seven found Mary and Cindy PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED WITH SOLO VOCALS.

Had Mark merely meant part of the lead , he would have said so- as he did for the Magnificent seven.
    You also need to learn to read for comprehension. You've been known to get things screwed up in your head from a non-understanding of what's been written and placed in front of you.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    That passage in Mary's book is there because Cindy did NOT plan on coming back at first, but changed her mind, even before the baby was born, hence the reason she was on standby for anyone who got sick.
    Exactly Jill! You are right again! Take a look above at David Nathan's interview he did with Mary back in 1974. I highlighted the part that speaks to this.

[QUOTE=marv2;133644]David Nathan's 1974 Interview with Mary Wilson on Changes Within the Supremes

By David Nathan
    Home > SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES > Classic Interviews & Features > CLASSIC FEATURE: The Supremes 1974 Interview

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists....... Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean. [Quote]

As much as we fans love Mary and all the Supremes, Mary seems to flip-flop so easily. In writing her second book in 1990, Mary devotes many pages to explaining why Jean left. She also never mentions Lynda as a 'temporary' replacement.

If you quote the words of a 1974 interview as the end-all gospel truth, then you are calling Mary a liar for writing what she did in 1994!

And consider this quote from "Supreme Faith' pg 108
    "I didn't know what to think. I was looking for a new girl to take Jean's place , WITHOUT KNOWING if I should be filling Lynda's place too. The executive who criticized Jean and Lynda never owned up to how the business drove these women to be that way. I understood where Jean and Lynda were coming from, perhaps too well. They were just rebelling.

[QUOTE=carole cucumber;133653][QUOTE=marv2;133644]David Nathan's 1974 Interview with Mary Wilson on Changes Within the Supremes

By David Nathan

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists....... Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean.

As much as we fans love Mary and all the Supremes, Mary seems to flip-flop so easily. In writing her second book in 1990, Mary devotes many pages to explaining why Jean left. She also never mentions Lynda as a 'temporary' replacement.

If you quote the words of a 1974 interview as the end-all gospel truth, then you are calling Mary a liar for writing what she did in 1994!

And consider this quote from "Supreme Faith' pg 108
    "I didn't know what to think. I was looking for a new girl to take Jean's place , WITHOUT KNOWING if I should be filling Lynda's place too. The executive who criticized Jean and Lynda never owned up to how the business drove these women to be that way. I understood where Jean and Lynda were coming from, perhaps too well. They were just rebelling.
    Nah, she ain't flip flopping. That was Romney! Notice the date of the David Nathan interview. It was done in 1974 when all the information pertaining to Laurence's temporary status in the Supremes was still fresh in Mary's and everyone else's mind. Back in '74 she may not have known exactly why Jean left, but by 1990 and doing enough research she had more information about it!

[QUOTE=marv2;133651]

You also need to learn to read for comprehension. You've been known to get things screwed up in your head from a non-understanding of what's been written and placed in front of you.
    I certainly do know when what has been written and placed before me is incorrect. My reading comprehension skills are on target.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I wonder why Motown included her in this collage if she was only a temp and not a true Supreme

For the same reason Motown put out a 70's Supremes compilation with Diana, Mary, and Flo on the cover. But really, tempororary doesn't negate legitimacy.

Nah, she ain't flip flopping. That was Romney! Notice the date of the David Nathan interview. It was done in 1974 when all the information pertaining to Laurence's temporary status in the Supremes was still fresh in Mary's and everyone else's mind. Back in '74 she may not have known exactly why Jean left, but by 1990 and doing enough research she had more information about it![/QUOTE]

Doing enough research?!?! Mary was telling her life story, her remembrances. . If she did research, she would have come upon this article which she likely owned or had received from fans... she would have, being the lady that she is, acknowledged her lack of knowledge at that time and added that she had gained new insight.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 11-30-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    For the same reason Motown put out a 70's Supremes compilation with Diana, Mary, and Flo on the cover. But really, tempororary doesn't negate legitimacy.
    No, not for the same reason.
    George Solomon publicaly addressed that cover mix-up. He pointed out the error to a higher-up who retorted that a cover with DMF would be more recognizable to the casual fan and therefore sell more copies. Even after George's objection, it was printed and marketed that way.

Nah, she ain't flip flopping. That was Romney! Notice the date of the David Nathan interview. It was done in 1974 when all the information pertaining to Laurence's temporary status in the Supremes was still fresh in Mary's and everyone else's mind. Back in '74 she may not have known exactly why Jean left, but by 1990 and doing enough research she had more information about it!
    Doing enough research?!?! Mary was telling her life story, her remembrances. . If she did research, she would have come upon this article which she likely owned or had received from fans... she would have, being the lady that she is, acknowledge her lack of knowledge at that time and added that she had gained new insight.[/QUOTE]

Face it, Lynda Laurence was not an important person in Mary Wilson's life so i can see why it may have been easy to forget some things involving her. I cannot remember everything that happened in the past either. Sometimes family and friends will help me remember something that happened a long , long time ago. In this case, Laurence was just not that important of a character in Mary's life. She's has known a lot of people over the years.

She/He is not correct. Your not buying the magazine is not going to hurt anyone except yourself when you try to get it later on and it is selling for $ 250 on Ebay!
    Although I bought a copy, I wouldn't be surprised if I see the overstock appearing in book re-sellers after March 2013 at a significantly discounted price.
    And from the size and quality of the paper, I wonder how many copies of the magazine that have already been purchased won't show signs of usage.

Face it, Lynda Laurence was not an important person in Mary Wilson's life so i can see why it may have been easy to forget some things involving her. I cannot remember everything that happened in the past either. Sometimes family and friends will help me remember something that happened a long , long time ago. In this case, Laurence was just not that important of a character in Mary's life. She's has known a lot of people over the years.
    Marv,
    Please follow your own advice!
    To utilize your earlier quote "Learn to read for comprehension"! The issue you just replied to involves Mary's 1974 statement that she did not know why Jean left and her 1990 admission of multiple reasons why Jean left. You're talking about Lynda?????

It's odd how Mary changed the thing around all the time. First Lynda was a temp, then she wasn't, then she's back as one again... same thing about Cindy. Also I'm not a Supremes fanatic, but anyone knows all three members sung a lead on Bridge...

smark21 Guest
    I’ve finished reading the magazine. Aside from the Lynda was a temp member of The Supremes, there’s nothing controversial in the book. AT least Lynda rates a few mentions. Pedro Ferrer isn’t mentioned at all in this very Mary Wilson-centric publication. But I can’t blame Mary and Mark Bego leaving Pedro out. Overall, the publication puts a positive light on The Supremes—their music, their image, their glamour, their ability to entertain and make people happy and forget their problems. Any of the sadder aspects of their run are either ignored [[like Andantes singing for them or their commercial decline or Motown 25 or RTL) or covered quickly [[Flo’s departure and death, the line up changes in the 70s). The magazine is a gift to the fans to remember the best aspects of the Supremes legacy.

The copy editing/fact checking could have been more thorough. Besides “The Big of Liverpool”, that album is also referred to as “A Little Bit of Liverpool”, lol. The other weakness is that other than an intro article by Mary Wilson [[where she doesn’t call Lynda a temp member), all the other articles are written by Mark Bego. His writing style begins to grate after a while. He’s obviously a loyal fan and friend of Mary Wilson’s, but he gets too worshipful at times, repeatedly calling Mary “the Supreme Supreme”. Too bad a couple of others writers weren’t brought into the project to write celebratory pieces about various aspects of the Supremes’ career and music as it would have made the magazine a much more interesting read. And while I started the thread and spotlighted the “temp member” references, it’s a shame that it didn’t get cut out by the editors as I think this topic will be the main thing Supremes fans will be talking about with regards to this publication.

After describing her as a temporary replacement FOUR TIMES, I believe they know what they are talking about!
    Unless there is some new unknown form of math and logic operational here, inaccuracy+ inaccuracy+inaccuracy+inaccuracy does not = accuracy.

smark21 Guest
    If Lynda had said “no” to participating in Return to Love and wasn’t so aggressive in getting FLOS gigs and obtaining rights to use “Supremes” in the UK, I doubt no one would try to marginalize her as a “temporary” Supreme. This is just silly grudge holding. While I can understand Mary having a grudge against Lynda, it’s absurd fans are so emotionally invested in the issue.

I now see another reason why the"This Is The Story- Jean Terrell Years" is neither pictured or mentioned. In the booklet write-up by Fred Bronson, both Cindy & Lynda themselves explain how the transitions came about [[pp.12-15). Nary a word in any shape or form of temporary is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Did you attend any of these shows milven?
    Yes, I saw the Lynda, Mary and Cindy performance.

[I bought this magazine on my lunch hour today in Duane Reed on 5th Ave today and was pleasantly surprised, it is a wonderful dedication to the Supremes legacy. Inspite of the listless errors a "A big of Liverpool" I am not through it yet, I just got into the 1970 era. The magazine is full of priceless photography 65 pages alone dedicated to the original Supremes 18 Pages of the Diana Ross & The Supremes era and 37 pages of the entire 70's Supremes, A complete listing facts and photos of the Original Supremes Albums on three or so pages, and in all every edition of the Supremes is covered inspite of these ramblings about whether Linda was a genuine Supreme, whats more important is that we now have a 50the Anniversary of the Supremes 1st album "Meet The Supremes" in December 1962, and if Mary didn't bring this magazine to light I doubt anyone else would have, so I being a Supremes Fan I am rejoicing in reading this magazine and Mary deserves to have her face on the cover she was an original Supreme and was a part of the success they all shared in. I will report further when I finish it.

marv2:
    99.9% of the public could consider beer to be a vegatable and I wouldn't care. Since the topic of this thread is Mary Wilson's 50th Anniversary Supremes Magazine, it is completely topical to discuss it's contents. I think you are the one that is out of place with all due respect!

It may be topical for most but you are completely obsessed in your delusional "Mary-land" and love to criticize anyone that disagree's with you. You are always Supreme right on as you have all the facts. You live and breathe it. You say to me, "with all due respect"? From the same person who commented that I put my nose in where it doesn't belong? In a public forum? In other words, no one should post unless they agree with you first. That would make that an oxymoron. Continue having a field day with this marv2. Looks like you have plenty of posts to catch up on. It gets funnier by the day. Just for the record, I never said anyone was out of place. Maybe we can let the SUPREME COURT decide.
    Attachment 5686

Delusions of reference involve people having a belief or perception that irrelevant, unrelated or innocuous phenomena in the world refer to them directly or have special personal significance. The notion that everything one perceives in the world relates to one's own destiny.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 12-01-2012 at 10:01 AM.