[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    smark21 Guest

Mary's Supremes Magazine is now out on newstands

After work, I stopped at Grand Central and found Mary's Supremes magazine on sale. I bought it.

So far I've given it a perusal. The pages are slick and glossy. There are some
    pictures I've never seen before. Some of the pics, though, are obvious screen
    captures from youtube or other video sources.

Mary provides a couple of recipes. The magazine is certainly Mary's show as she
    and Mark Bego were the forces that put this together so it's understandable that
    there would be an emphasis on Mary. However, I did come across some text that
    called Mary "the supreme Supreme".

Lynda Laurence is referred to a temporary Supreme.

One interesting little tidbit I've never heard before: Paul McCartney called up
    Mary to find out how she was feeling when it was publically announced that Diana
    was going solo.

I found one glaring typo: A Bit of Liverpool is referred to as "The Big of
    Liverpool".

One error I found so far: The magazine claims the Webb album includes "Splish
    Splash". I think Bego confused "Tossin' and Turnin" with "Splish Splash". And
    the fact checkers didn't pick it up.

I'll give it a closer read this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    After work, I stopped at Grand Central and found Mary's Supremes magazine on sale. I bought it.

So far I've given it a perusal. The pages are slick and glossy. There are some
    pictures I've never seen before. Some of the pics, though, are obvious screen
    captures from youtube or other video sources.

Mary provides a couple of recipes. The magazine is certainly Mary's show as she
    and Mark Bego were the forces that put this together so it's understandable that
    there would be an emphasis on Mary. However, I did come across some text that
    called Mary "the supreme Supreme".

Lynda Laurence is referred to a temporary Supreme.

One interesting little tidbit I've never heard before: Paul McCartney called up
    Mary to find out how she was feeling when it was publically announced that Diana
    was going solo.

I found one glaring typo: A Bit of Liverpool is referred to as "The Big of
    Liverpool".

One error I found so far: The magazine claims the Webb album includes "Splish
    Splash". I think Bego confused "Tossin' and Turnin" with "Splish Splash". And
    the fact checkers didn't pick it up.

I'll give it a closer read this weekend.
    I knew I was right! Lynda Laurence was a temp sub.! This sounds like a great magazine. I have to get a copy tomorrow!

Here it is on newsstands!

That comment about Lynda is very tacky. I thought this magazine was to celebrate the legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    That comment about Lynda is very tacky. I thought this magazine was to celebrate the legacy?
    Since when does truthfulness and accuracy equate to tackiness? Heck, Lynda knows what she was........hehehehehehehe....!!!

smark21 Guest
    I’ve looked through the JML section of the magazine, and four times Lynda is referred to as a temporary replacement for Cindy, though she’s also described as an “asset” to the group.

I’ve looked through the JML section of the magazine, and four times Lynda is referred to as a temporary replacement for Cindy, though she’s also described as an “asset” to the group.
    She is referred to as "temporary" in many places including here:

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/Badfinger/BANDsupremes.html

Cindy Birdsongalso referred to Lynda as a temp sub in an article in Goldmine.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She is referred to as "temporary" in many places including here:

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/Badfinger/BANDsupremes.html
    marv, where in grand central can i get it i will pass through there tomorrow on my way to aerobic class.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    marv, where in grand central can i get it i will pass through there tomorrow on my way to aerobic class.
    Fran, I always come into Penn Station, Smark21 saw it at Grand Central. You know it is going to be on the main level though.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Hey Luke, thanks for this one! I swear, Mary Wilson is all over the place this year.

I picked up a copy today on Long Island at the Super Stop & Shop magazines section;
    love it, looks great..
    Mary Wilson continues the tired "Diane" thing, it's pathetic at this point, well, whatever floats her boat..Lots of great shots of Diana Ross in this publication...and some other people...LOL..

Everybody has their favorite Supreme but at the end of the day it an Institution and not built around anyone now, but thanks to Mary the legacy is kept alive, and she certainly has that right to call it My Supremes, she's been at the helm forever..

Is this publication going to be on newstands in Canada, or will I have to go to amazon to get a copy?

smark21 Guest
    I read some more including the paragraph on Jean and Lynda leaving. Though it’s odd. Bego claims Jean and Lynda abandoned Mary when they both left the group at once. But if Lynda was just a hire from a temp agency, how can Mary be abandoned when Lynda decided to end her temp gig?

I read some more including the paragraph on Jean and Lynda leaving. Though it’s odd. Bego claims Jean and Lynda abandoned Mary when they both left the group at once. But if Lynda was just a hire from a temp agency, how can Mary be abandoned when Lynda decided to end her temp gig?
    Mark Bego is a real good friend of mary wilson so obviously this magazine was written by bego with marys input. I'll buy this magazine but we should remember this is mary and begos take on the Supremes. I'm sure the other ladies of the supremes were not interviewed orv consulted about this.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

That's the thing: Lynda was not a temporary Supreme. It's just a way for people to get their "dig" in at Lynda. It's true that Cindy left and Lynda filled her place. But I've never heard that Cindy had intended to come back. She only came back after Lynda left and Mary had to ASK Cindy to come back. And not to be rude, but how long was Barbara in the Supremes? Or Miss Susaye? Are they temporary Supremes too? HA!

It bothers me more that this late in the game we still have "typos" such as "A Bag of Liverpool" and "Splish Splash". Who proofed this? Obviously no one that "knows" the Supremes would have let this slip.

Sad that something so cool comes across as being half-assed. I wish someone like Andy or George would have had their hands in this. Not that they aren't without fault, but they certainly know their facts. So while I don't know Mr. Bego, it seems he has a history of jumping on the bandwagon and comes across as more of a tabloid writer than an author. Here's his wiki; judge for yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_bego

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Mark Bego is a real good friend of mary wilson so obviously this magazine was written by bego with marys input. I'll buy this magazine but we should remember this is mary and begos take on the Supremes. I'm sure the other ladies of the supremes were not interviewed orv consulted about this.

Roberta
    You are correct; I believe ivyfield who is good friends with Scherrie and Lynda mentioned that neither had any idea this was being published. And with Mary's mug front and center, it's obvious this was Mary's deal.

And if I am not mistaken, Jean and Lynda did not leave at the same time. Jean first, then Lynda. That is why there were, for some performances, Mary, Lynda and Cindy. With that being said, how did Cindy replace Lynda when Lynda was still in the group? Hmmmmm.

With all of this said, I am a HUGE Mary Wilson fan; however you can't rewrite history.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    With all of this said, I am a HUGE Mary Wilson fan; however you can't rewrite history.
    She is not rewriting history.....you are!

And if I am not mistaken, Jean and Lynda did not leave at the same time. Jean first, then Lynda. That is why there were, for some performances, Mary, Lynda and Cindy. With that being said, how did Cindy replace Lynda when Lynda was still in the group? Hmmmmm.
    That is NOT true! The few performances lof Mary,Cindy and Lynda occurred while Jean Terrell was still in the group. She was out due to illness or attitude!

Cindy always had a contract which went all the way through to 1977! Lynda was her temporary replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Roberta
    Who cares? Mary is the Supreme Supreme!

you are correct, however I was going to purchase the rag but, with all the discussion here I have decided against it. I learned enough here to know NOTHING NEW !!!

Like it or not,Lynda Laurence was a SUPREME,sign to Motown,Berry Gordy would have never recorded Lynda with The Supremes,had she not been sign to the company,Mary was the one that help Lynda get sign to Motown Records,as a Supreme,no matter what anyone say,the truth will set you free,Motown put Lynda on the front cover of Floy Joy album,Lynda recorded the Jimmy Webb Album,she also recorded a single Bad Weather,and a live album with The Supremes,Live In Japan,yes Lynda Laurence IS a former Supreme,[[like it or not)
    i just love The Supremes from the 70s
    you can't change history
    Please stay positive

if anyone is the "face" of the Supremes, its Mary Wilson.

Not sure why Cindy would say that because actually she was originally hired as a Temp according to Mary and Diana. However, the Temp thing became permanent. So perhaps the same thing went down with Lynda,,???????who really knows or cares. Lynda was a Supreme in the end maybe Temp in the beginning but Lynda was a permanent Supreme until she decided to leave. Cindy probably left early on not knowing if she would really returned or not and then decided she wouldn't and then was proposition to return.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Like it or not,Lynda Laurence was a SUPREME,sign to Motown,Berry Gordy would have never recorded Lynda with The Supremes,had she not been sign to the company,Mary was the one that help Lynda get sign to Motown Records,as a Supreme,no matter what anyone say,the truth will set you free,Motown put Lynda on the front cover of Floy Joy album,Lynda recorded the Jimmy Webb Album,she also recorded a single Bad Weather,and a live album with The Supremes,Live In Japan,yes Lynda Laurence IS a former Supreme,[[like it or not)
    you can't change history
    Please stay positive
    Nobody is saying she wasn't a Supreme... we are saying she was just a temporary one. Which is true. I have an audio interview from 1975 where Cindy herself said she was just on maternity leave [[when asked about her return)
    Last edited by jillfoster; 11-30-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Not sure why Cindy would say that because actually she was originally hired as a Temp according to Mary and Diana. However, the Temp thing became permanent. So perhaps the same thing went down with Lynda,,???????who really knows or cares. Lynda was a Supreme in the end maybe Temp in the beginning but Lynda was a permanent Supreme until she decided to leave. Cindy probably left early on not knowing if she would really returned or not and then decided she wouldn't and then was proposition to return.
    No, Cindy has stated before in interviews that she always planned on coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I picked up a copy today on Long Island at the Super Stop & Shop magazines section;
    love it, looks great..
    Mary Wilson continues the tired "Diane" thing, it's pathetic at this point, well, whatever floats her boat....
    See, you have this incorrect impression that Diana is upset when people call her "Diane". She doesn't like it when her EMPLOYEES call her that, and she does not permit it. People who are close to her, or have been close to her in the past on a personal level, she doesn't mind it at all. She never HAS had a problem with it. It's something that is dreamed up in the minds of fans that has no basis in fact. It's a simple matter of Diana not wanting her employees to address her as if they were personal friends or family.

First of all, Lynda aka Linda Tucker was not from some temp agency. She had been working with her sister and cousin backing Stevie Wonder up in his band. She and her sister auditioned for the Cindy Birdsong spot and they chose Lynda. She left the group right at the same time as Jean [[who had been with the Supremes for nearly 4 years to L ynda's 16 or so months with the group.) Lynda's leaving left Mary without a "group" so yeah she abandoned her and the Supremes.

you are correct, however I was going to purchase the rag but, with all the discussion here I have decided against it. I learned enough here to know NOTHING NEW !!!
    She/He is not correct. Your not buying the magazine is not going to hurt anyone except yourself when you try to get it later on and it is selling for $ 250 on Ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    you can't change history
    Please stay positive
    Whether she was signed to Motown or not is not the issue here. She was a temporary replacement and not a pernament member. That is what the big revelation is all about!

No Lynda was not a temp,no matter what anyone says,Cindy only came back,because Mary ask her[[Cindy)to,Lynda replaced Cindy Birdsong as a permanent Supreme,Lynda and Jean left around the same time,someone came up with the idea that Lynda was a temp,so it look like only Jean left,it would have looked bad to the public,if two Supremes left the group,but that's just what happen,i was happy Cindy came back,but was more happy,when Susaye join The Supremes.
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    if anyone is the "face" of the Supremes, its Mary Wilson.
    I never recall seeing a group called "The Supremes" without Mary Wilson being there. Yes she is the face, the heart and the soul of the Supremes.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-30-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Lynda was a temp and I don't mean Temptation. She never made it through her 2 year probationary period. How in the Hell do you explain her demanding more money to sing leads in Supremes concerts if she had a contract. It woud have been spelled out in "her contract" what she was entitled to and could expect as a member of the Supremes. Nooooo, but instead we learn that she was going around demanding more money and for a higher stake in the group!!!! Don't sound like a teamplayer to me and it doesn't sound like she even had a contract. Maybe she did, but it doesn't sound it.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-30-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Nobody is saying she wasn't a Supreme... we are saying she was just a temporary one. Which is true. I have an audio interview from 1975 where Cindy herself said she was just on maternity leave [[when asked about her return)
    That's right Jill. Cindy said that she was ALWAYS suppose to return to the group and that the new girl [[Lynda Laurence) didn't have a contract. Cindy Birdsong was under contrac to Motown as a "Supreme" through to 1977.

Mary Wilson: Supreme Faith

pg. 61

Cindy was expecting her first child in the fall and didn't plan to return to the group after that. She had always been very open about whatever was on her mind, and many times she mentioned that she might leave. Still, it was a surprise when she finally announced she was going.

pg. 117

I'd hired Cindy assuming that Lynda too was leaving.

Why did Mary say Cindy was leaving and not coming back? Why did Mary have to "hire" Cindy when she thought Lynda was going to quit?

Let the truth be told!! Cindy Birdsong is well respected by everyone and said Lynda was a temp. End of story.

Thanks skooldem1
    Sometimes people just continue to hear voices in their heads and make up all kinds of things.

Perhaps Cindy should ask Mary why she said that !!!!! Honey We Are Terrific !!!

Can this magazine be bought online? Where in Canada could we get one?

About Lynda, it's 40 years hence ~ it's kind of a rut; but perhaps for the Supreminado's, important for history.

So, if Lynda was a replacement in some eyes, she still was on the Floy Joy cover. Mary has said the albums didn't sell, and sold less and less but the fall off was greatest after the Floy Joy album and they reverted to a lot of generic covers after Lynda - Jimmy Webb and High Energy and At their Best. Does it make any difference?

Also, if this magazine is connected to Mary Wilson, perhaps she does harbor resentment toward Lynda as well as Diana? I thought that was all gone after all these years?

Im so glad you pulled out Mary's book and used her exact quotes. We all know Lynda was a bonafide Supreme who replaced Cindy. If Lynda was only "Temporary" why have her record with the group? And why have her on the cover of "FLOY JOY?" Yes, Cindy was pregnant at the time of the shoot, but so was Mary when they shot the 1975 Album. They easily coverd Mary's pregnancy with Scherrie, Cindy and some well placed flowers. I loved all the Supremes, and it's sad that some people are trying in vain to reduce other members contribution. History cannot be changed. Even in 1973 on Soul Train Mary said "We are THE SUPREMES." I appreciate the work of Andy Skurrow and George Soloman and wish they were in volved in this project. They always get their facts correct and give due credit to all the ladies who were Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Mary Wilson: Supreme Faith

pg. 61

Cindy was expecting her first child in the fall and didn't plan to return to the group after that. She had always been very open about whatever was on her mind, and many times she mentioned that she might leave. Still, it was a surprise when she finally announced she was going.

pg. 117

I'd hired Cindy assuming that Lynda too was leaving.

Why did Mary say Cindy was leaving and not coming back? Why did Mary have to "hire" Cindy when she thought Lynda was going to quit?

This is too funny! The games have begun over a magazine. Perhaps marv2 should write what "actually" happened since he was there and has all the facts for a book of his own. Then the world will be finally able to move on about what really took place in The Supremes and sleep at night. As far as "Diane" goes, I would just call her Di or maybe even Earle. I'll check the birth certificate wallpaper replica I have in my 1000 sq. ft. Supremes Worship Room. Oh and by the way, those gowns Mary can't locate....??? Haven't seen 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by 8supremes View Post
    Im so glad you pulled out Mary's book and used her exact quotes. We all know Lynda was a bonafide Supreme who replaced Cindy. If Lynda was only "Temporary" why have her record with the group? And why have her on the cover of "FLOY JOY?" Yes, Cindy was pregnant at the time of the shoot, but so was Mary when they shot the 1975 Album. They easily coverd Mary's pregnancy with Scherrie, Cindy and some well placed flowers. I loved all the Supremes, and it's sad that some people are trying in vain to reduce other members contribution. History cannot be changed. Even in 1973 on Soul Train Mary said "We are THE SUPREMES." I appreciate the work of Andy Skurrow and George Soloman and wish they were in volved in this project. They always get their facts correct and give due credit to all the ladies who were Supremes.
    She was a bonafide temp! That's all she was!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    This is too funny! The games have begun over a magazine. Perhaps marv2 should write what "actually" happened since he was there and has all the facts for a book of his own. Then the world will be finally able to move on about what really took place in The Supremes and sleep at night. As far as "Diane" goes, I would just call her Di or maybe even Earle. I'll check the birth certificate wallpaper replica I have in my 1000 sq. ft. Supremes Worship Room. Oh and by the way, those gowns Mary can't locate....??? Haven't seen 'em.
    I wasn't there. I was in Jr. High. Mary was and she says that Lynda was just a temp.

Quote Originally Posted by 8supremes View Post
    Again.. in the words of Mary Wilson ... in the essay entitled "Promises Kept" -The Supremes -The 70's Anthology

pg. 12 "Floy Joy was our last album recorded in Detroit, and one of the last Motown albums cut there, period. After the album was done Cindy brought me bad news; she was expecting a baby and LEAVING the group. I was not too happy about REPLACING her, as by that time people considered Cindy an original member. I knew another personnel change was risky; but it had to be done. I CHOSE Lynda Laurence, who had sung backup for Stevie Wonder. You see Lynda in the Floy Joy cover shot but she's not on the album".

pg 15 " Lynda having sung with Stevie Wonder was to our advantage, because for us he produced and co-write 'Bad Weather' with Lynda's brother Ira Tucker. Stevie Wonder was hot then with 'Talking Book'. He was a magician in the studio. Too bad the single failed. It's one of our best songs of the period. Around that same time we also cut The O'Jay's 'Love Train', which still carries a positive message of universal love. Jean brought it home with her special gospel flair. But Jean and Lynda left in '73.
    I wrestled with deciding whether it was time to step down. But I was determined to keep the group on top. I took on the Supremes' business affairs. I RE-HIRED Cindy Birdsong".

....And you know you are right !!!
    I

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Again.. in the words of Mary Wilson ... in the essay entitled "Promises Kept" -The Supremes -The 70's Anthology

pg. 12 "Floy Joy was our last album recorded in Detroit, and one of the last Motown albums cut there, period. After the album was done Cindy brought me bad news; she was expecting a baby and LEAVING the group. I was not too happy about REPLACING her, as by that time people considered Cindy an original member. I knew another personnel change was risky; but it had to be done. I CHOSE Lynda Laurence, who had sung backup for Stevie Wonder. You see Lynda in the Floy Joy cover shot but she's not on the album".

pg 15 " Lynda having sung with Stevie Wonder was to our advantage, because for us he produced and co-write 'Bad Weather' with Lynda's brother Ira Tucker. Stevie Wonder was hot then with 'Talking Book'. He was a magician in the studio. Too bad the single failed. It's one of our best songs of the period. Around that same time we also cut The O'Jay's 'Love Train', which still carries a positive message of universal love. Jean brought it home with her special gospel flair. But Jean and Lynda left in '73.
    I wrestled with deciding whether it was time to step down. But I was determined to keep the group on top. I took on the Supremes' business affairs. I RE-HIRED Cindy Birdsong".