[REMOVE ADS]

Nicki Minaj Blames Crappy Sales on Wal-Mart

Nicki Minaj Blames Crappy Sales on Wal-Mart by Brian Gasparek Nov 26, 2012 26 Comments Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on stumbleuponShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services4

[[Photo Credit: Getty)

Nicki Minaj's latest release Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded - The Re-Up has suffered some crappy first week sales. The album was released last Tuesday, and according to reports, has sold way lower than Universal Music and Minaj had expected. Instead of blaming the fact that the album is actually just a re-release of an album that's been out for the better part of a year with 8 additional songs, Minaj blames US retailers Wal-Mart and Target for the low first week sales.

Minaj went on US radio station Power 105.1 and said the album's poor performance was based on Wal-Mart and Target's policy of not selling re-released albums. According to Minaj, "It’s hard to get the album because the stores basically said that the last few re-releases they had put out did not do well and they didn’t want to take a chance. So Target and Wal-Mart [are] not selling the album. And Target is actually my biggest retailer. They’ve sold the most Nicki Minaj albums ever; thank you Target, but I wish you could have sold this one … it kind of sets you up to fail.”

Assuming she realized that no matter what she is making dump trucks full of money anyway, Minaj went on to say "At the end of the day I’m happy that I was able to put the music out. The real reason for me to put out ‘The Re-Up’ is because I wanted to have a bridge between this time and the third album. I wanted people to have music that I really stand by.”

Yes, for sure money had nothing to do with it Nicki! You can check out the interview here.

I'm mad because I can't buy her album at Target. Maybe I should boycott Target to show my displeasure?

Just kidding. How much does she like herself that she gets pissy because she made a cash grab by re-releasing an album? Not just that, but this chicky is a judge of singers on "American Idol" and her track record of success is two [[mostly) rap albums?! Whatever.

It sounds like a simple conflict of record label vs. retailer's interests. It is possible that retailers got burned on the last major artists to re-release their albums: Eminem and Katy Perry. Both of their albums are excellent, but they both added several new songs to them and reissued them. Fans probably decided to simply get the extra songs off of iTunes because they already had the original releases, or got confused.

The better idea is for artists to quit adding songs to existing albums and just release new albums like Rihanna does. She puts out one album every year, just like in the old days of the 70s and 80s.

And before anyone says anything about the music on Nicki Minaj's album, it's not a bad album at all. It just may not be music that is for you.

Jerry, she has done more than just two albums. The reality is that she also contributes to other artists' songs, and she is a unique rapper and singer. I like her. Again, her music may not be your kind of music.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Perhaps a new album would be a better option than re-releasing the same album for a 3rd time with a few extra tracks and then expecting people to buy it all over again? I don't know where this craze of re-hashing the same current album over and over has come from but it can only serve to pee off the people who buy the album first time out. I'v been put off buying new albums because I know the artist will only re-release it six months later with extra singles, so it can actually harm sales in some respects.

The first artists I am aware of re-releasing an album with new tracks is Usher.

BTW, Minaj is starting feuds with Barbara Walters and Steve Tyler over stupid stuff. She actually called Steve Tyler a racist. Really?

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/20...-comments?lite

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/20...-comments?lite

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/20...idol-feud?lite

It really upsets me to see how much time and conversation is wasted on those judges on these shows. A. I., VOICE etc.
    To me the spot light is wasted on those petty insucure judges.
    When they first started out, I was interested. The very first time I watched A. I., and heard the remarks that Simon made to one of the contestents I was done. And now to see the crap that is taking place with the little fueds that go on is a shame. It dosen't surprise me when I hear that so and so's cd's are not selling because they are acting like a bunch of spoiled brats.
    I hope I'm not ofending anyone, but once these kids learn to grow up they will never be happy in this business. All I can say is GROW UP.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

Hey this chick should be careful,she may need a job at[wal-mart]when her little so called career is over...cleanup on aile five!!!

Ceasar,

I don't even watch those shows. All I ever know about them is what I read in the press. I like the artists who judge these shows, but I also do not really care about their spats. The only reason I posted about Nicki Minaj is because her accusations against Steve Tyler are baseless. Of course, she is at the age where she might see racism in everything. She undoubtedly had some bad experiences with racism, probably very recently, so she is hyper-sensitive about it right now.

Arr&bee,

She's not going anywhere. She is a superstar, like it or not. You may not like her brand of music, but she's good at what she does.

Soulster: Hammer was a superstar for an album or so. She needs to tread carefully because if she's seen by her label to be a liability [[bad press, sinking sales), she can easily become the next has-been in an industry full of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Soulster: Hammer was a superstar for an album or so. She needs to tread carefully because if she's seen by her label to be a liability [[bad press, sinking sales), she can easily become the next has-been in an industry full of them.
    Too bad it doesn't work that way anymore. Look at how much bad press Kanye West has gotten for the stupid things he has said and done over the last few years. Look at Chris Brown and his bad press for things he's done, and they are both still selling big and having hit albums. They are still all over other people's songs. This will not hurt Minaj at all. The public and the labels really don't care as long as the good sounds keep coming.

BTW, "Hammer"?

It dosen't matter to me[my daughter is a fan]...i'm going to play some[mary wells]now goodbye!!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    BTW, "Hammer"?
    LOL. I remember when MC Hammer was street relevant. One pop smash and dude lost his street cred and when he couldn't follow up, he had nothing to go back to.

Oh, and good points on Kanye and Chris Brown. I submit to you that you still need backing to make it and there's only so much collateral that talent can account for. If she makes enemies in the business, it'll affect her significantly.

I wonder if this lady is really nuts or if this is just a ploy for publicity; as in "any publicity is good publicity".

Can she sing at all?

I always thought it was a little degrading to all involved to have a contestant present themselves and then be insulted ~ but many of them couldn't sing worth a penny. But this is the way of the world these days - online insults are the way of the world; reality tv shows where people make fools of themselves and get told so.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I wonder if this lady is really nuts or if this is just a ploy for publicity; as in "any publicity is good publicity".

Can she sing at all?
    Yes, she can.

I listen to this music, and I can vouch that she has the chops. It's just that the music she does isn't conducive to it.

smark21 Guest
    It should be noted that it’s really only in the initial audition round in which an aspiring singer may be ripped to shreds by the meaner judges for their attempts at singing. But in the years I watched Idol, Simon was the judge that the contestants generally respected the most because he didn’t sugarcoat his comments. I’ve stopped watching these shows though as most of the talent is mediocre. If they’re good singers, they lack stage presence. Still these shows, well really Idol, have launched a few singers who have gone on to good careers. But I think there’s a stigma to going on to this show, so it tends to attract either kids who don’t know any better, people who’ve been trying to make in the music business and turn to these shows for one last shot, or singers from rural areas where there is not much of a music scene outside of the local church.

Niki is cool. But I don't understand how or why anyone whether it be fans, or her record label thought that a re-re-issue would sell many copies. With that said, "Beez in the trap" was a bangin song.