[REMOVE ADS]

Hip-oselect/What's In The Pipeline For 2013

So far we know we are getting Diana Ross' "Baby It's Me" and most likely "Ross 78" [[as Andy has said), does anyone know what else we might or might not be getting in 2013?

Too early for me to start telling...

LOL I figured so ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    So far we know we are getting Diana Ross' "Baby It's Me" and most likely "Ross 78" [[as Andy has said), does anyone know what else we might or might not be getting in 2013?
    I do not know that Mary Wells Lost and Found will be available in 2012, I had hoped it would be released before the holidays, but no indication. This may come in 2013 if it doesn't come in the next month.

? See separate thread on Mary Wells, her L&F set is out next week in the U.S.

i want everything on Syreeta
    Please stay positive

We are pretty confident in SUPREMES A GO GO.

*Yawn* waiting for something, possibly even some artists who hasn't been CD-ed yet, such as Mary Wilson's "Mary Wilson", Scherrie & Susaye's "Partners", High Inergy, since it's still nothing but a bunch of hooey on Big Break Records' plans with them, and hey, why not young Benny Medina and Kerry, son of Berry and Anna, Gordy in Apollo?

RE: Supremes - If I remember correctly, on NIGHTFLIGHT Andy & George said A GO GO was not directly next and hinted quite strongly that at least FUNNY GIRL and ...COUNTRY, WESTERN & POP were ~ so I'm guessing there'll be a "concept album" compilation...

We know there is a Complete Singles plus unreleased material from Martha Reeves and The Vandellas early in the New Year which I am very excited about! Any news on this release anyone?

...I do hope The Originals aren't overlooked...!

Ngroove, I'm sure you meant Kerry was the son of Berry and Miss Ray--not his sister, Anna!

I, for one, would like the Supremes Expanded Edition reissues to continue on a regular schedule--BUT, would also like to see some High Inergy and wouldn't mind some Originals, too!

I'd like to see the expanded treatment given to Gladys Knight and the Pips.

honest man Guest
    Hello folks i think maybe we should keep on with The Supremes sets and the Diana Ross solo sets,reckon about 18 plus still outstanding, will i live that long,ha,also throw in some unreleased JJ Barnes, Fantastic 4, The Spinners vol 2 . Edwin Starr Unreleased and i will be one happy chappy, keep up the good work people, cheers.

honest man Guest
    Any tracklist for Vandellas forthcoming relase yet,please.

honest man Guest
    Any Unissued Xmas Motown songs still in vaults ,not had any since the expanded DRATS XMAS CD a few years back now, cheers,

honest man Guest
    Albums by DRATS on cd That need to be released are Country Western 2 Sam Cooke 3 Liverpool 4GoGo [EX]5 HDH[EX] 6 Funny Girl 7 Reflections[EX] 8 Disney 9 Love Child[EX] 10 Let the sunshine in[EX] 11 Cream of crop[EX] 12 TCB[EX] 13 GIT [Talk of town-Farewell] Diana Ross solo Baby it's me [EX]15 Ross [EX]16 The Boss[EX] [Ceasars Palace-An Evening with] think thats all, phew.

Apart from the two upcoming albums by Ms Ross, I would love to f-i-n-a-l-l-y get a remastered "Throwin' Down" by Rick James!

RossHolloway Guest
    I would love to see a Lost and Found on Brenda Holloway, Stevie Wonder and Glady Knight and the Pips. Plus an Anthology on Carolyn Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I would love to see a Lost and Found on Brenda Holloway, Stevie Wonder and Glady Knight and the Pips. Plus an Anthology on Carolyn Crawford.
    Me too! and add in Smokey Robinson & the Miracles.

How about a Tempts lost and found the would combine the original from 1998, with a compilation of all the unreleased tracks in chronilogical order, from EOS, various Anthogies, Cellarful, and all other sources. We would have everything in one place, in chronological order, for a nice 2 CD set, kind of like Motown Sings Motown Treasures from a couple of years ago wher the original 1 CD was expanded to a two CD set.

A box of all the Thelma Houston albums would be great!

alanbill1074 Guest
    I wonder what the odds would be of Hipo-o trying a couple of SACDs themselves. Marvin Gaye aside there don't seem to have been any Motown ones. Lionel Richie's "Can't Slow Down" would sound incredible on this format, as would many of the 70s albums. It'll never happen but "Floy Joy" would be another great one.

Personally I am very excited to get the next two Diana Ross ones as I feel like I have been waiting forever for them. LTISH aside, BIM and Ross are my two favourite 70s Diana albums.

And of course Jermaine Jackson, who seems to have been virtually ignored on the re-issue front.

I'm surprised that "Lady Sings The Blues" has never been re-released. The only version available is the same one that was released on CD in the early days of CD reissues! I seem to recall there was supposed to be an expanded edition many years ago, which was canceled. I'm guessing it would have included the "Blue" album which was released separately. Still it seems that "LSTB" deserves a sonic and package upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    I'm surprised that "Lady Sings The Blues" has never been re-released. The only version available is the same one that was released on CD in the early days of CD reissues! I seem to recall there was supposed to be an expanded edition many years ago, which was canceled. I'm guessing it would have included the "Blue" album which was released separately. Still it seems that "LSTB" deserves a sonic and package upgrade!
    I asked Andy & George why LSTB hadn't been given the deluxe treatment last year on John's Nightflight show and the response was it essentially has been skipped so far because it cannot be expanded in the traditional way the other Ross albums have due to the amount of tracks on the Soundtrack. If you have the original pressing, you'll notice all the dialogue snippets disbursed amongst the songs count as individual tracks so your CD has 40 some tracks on one disc. [[I don't have my disc handy or Itunes open to verify the exact amount). That many tracks affects the budget or licensing of getting it further expanded with the many alternates left in the vaults from the Askey sessions for this and Blue. There was a hint that the guys may consider doing a deluxe without the dialogue down the road. I could live without the scene snippets since the narrative only covers the first half of the movie anyway but I'm sure there are some fans who would cry foul that it was removed.

Yes would love rest of DRATS, Mary solo and Scherrie & Susaye. Plus 70s Supremes Lost & Found. Also they did Patrice Holloway so why not Liz Lands? But that wasn't Hip-O. Three Ounces Of Love.

Still hoping for that Blackberries album that was never released.

Did Diana's first album get the hipo treatment? I recall it being reissued with some unreleased tracks- was that hipo? I'd like to hear alternate takes. What about "The Boss" there has to be extra songs or alternate versions in the vault. They could release that with the live HBO concert, although unlikely because I think Diana owns that.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Did Diana's first album get the hipo treatment? I recall it being reissued with some unreleased tracks- was that hipo? I'd like to hear alternate takes. What about "The Boss" there has to be extra songs or alternate versions in the vault. They could release that with the live HBO concert, although unlikely because I think Diana owns that.
    On the Boss, I think there werejust two extended remixes of songs. And on Diana's first solo album, there were I think 3 unreleased songs, and a couple of live tracks, but neither were Expanded Editions. It would be great to have true Expanded Editions on both albums, and include her first solo concert as part of the package. Plus I'd like to see Expanded Editions on her 3 Live albums as well.

For Hip-O Select I hope the Expanded Edition album series of The Supremes and Diana Ross continues. I'm looking forward to the singles and lost & found collection with MR&TV. I'd also love for album collections with The Originals, Jr. Walker & The All Stars, Jimmy Ruffin, Stevie Wonder, and others to happen in 2013 and onwards. I also dream of a GK&TP lost & found set. And last but not least of course, The Complete Motown Singles 12A and 12B!

what about dennis edwards "unreleased"lp and other d.e. unreleased tracks ,also g.k. lost & found a expanded reunion lp from the temps as i'm sure there would've been more tracks recorded than the 7 ? that was on the original lp and tie up all the unreleased david ruffin tracks [[the hills of west virginia) is one that has'nt escaped yet .

In the words of James Brown, please, please, PLEASE show some love for Junior Walker next year! I own all his twofers, Nothing But Soul, and most of the one-disc compilations, but I REALLY want to own his '70s albums in glorious remastered sound. All I have are some scratchy vinyl rips :-[[

Seriously, I've purchased a boatload of Hip-O releases the last several years, and I know there are many other fans on SoulfulDetroit that would love to see justice done to Junior's out-of-print albums. Hip-O makes the best sense, and you guys also do a phenomenal job with remastering, remixing, etc.

[[oh, and please put Junior’s smokin’ cover of “Love Hangover” on there!)

I second vcq's request for Junior Walker.

And how about some of the later Smokey Robinson & The Miracles LPs, such as:
    What Love Has... Joined Together
    A Pocket Full of Miracles
    One Dozen Roses
    Flying High Together

WLHJT was issued on cd but is no longer available and super-hard to find. The others, I'm not sure if they have ever been issued on cd.

And what happened with the Smokey Robinson solo LP series? These had been coming pretty fast, but then nothing since Warm Thoughts / Being With You, which I believe was out in the summer of 2011. Are there plans to continue this with the TMG issues [[Yes, It's You Lady; Touch The Sky; Essar; Smoke Signals)?

Oh yeah, and The Originals... Perhaps Hip-O could do their LPs up to 1972 and then BBR could do the later 70s titles, as they did California Sunset already.
    Last edited by calvin; 12-03-2012 at 09:41 PM.

I would love a "Specialty Set" by the Supremes like the 2 70's sets or the single sets. Western, Country & Pop, A Bit of Liverpool, Sam Cooke, Funny Girl, Disney...

I don't really care what's coming, just keep stuff coming. But I'd like to see ACE/KENT continue with its Motown series. It seems more interested in acts like Carolyn Crawford, the Fantastic Four, etc. I'd like to David Nathan's Soulmusic.com continue with its licensing of Motown titles. Soulmusic.com has done well with titles by Tata Vega, Syreeta, Thelma Houston and the Dynamic Superiors. So it should be allowed to continue. Frankly, in 2012, there were a lot of Motown albums reissued.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I don't really care what's coming, just keep stuff coming. But I'd like to see ACE/KENT continue with its Motown series. It seems more interested in acts like Carolyn Crawford, the Fantastic Four, etc. I'd like to David Nathan's Soulmusic.com continue with its licensing of Motown titles. Soulmusic.com has done well with titles by Tata Vega, Syreeta, Thelma Houston and the Dynamic Superiors. So it should be allowed to continue. Frankly, in 2012, there were a lot of Motown albums reissued.
    After chatting with George at Freda's 70th Bday party in September, I REALLY want to hear some of the Jean Supremes/Andantes unreleased/alternate takes. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!
    Name:  Supreme+Jean+4.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  83.5 KB

The rest of the complete Motown singles box sets Some more Temps, Martha Reeves... The more Motown, the better

Whatever happened to the Smokey Robinson & The Miracles album series?

Duke Fakir was interviewed recently on a Boston radio station and mentioned he would like to see the Four Tops' Norman Whitfield recordings released.

The Tops & Temptations were in Boston recently and Duke did a brief interview. He was asked if the two groups ever had to compete for songs. Duke answered that they each had their own producers and pretty much stayed with those producers. He then briefly mentioned working with Norman Whitfield in later years and that these recordings remained unreleased. He didn't elaborate further. It was a nice surprise hearing that interview.

And as a brief aside, this same interviewer, an accomplished author and newspaper columnist in his early 60s and mostly a lover of rock music, once told Diana Ross that his favorite Supremes song was Stoned Love! I got quite a chuckle out of that.

We've gotten so much great stuff that it's hard to believe how much great stuff is still in the vaults!

I'd love to see Junior Walker & All Stars and the Originals complete LP series, a gospel anthology, the Workshop Jazz anthology, "rare classics/lost and found" type sets of Gladys Knight & the Pips, Yvonne Fair [[including of course her great LP), the latter day Contours, and that unreleased Martha & Vandellas Copa concert!

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    The first Ross solo LP was rereleased with bonus tracks, but I think it was a Universal, not a Hip-O, issue. It has a few bonus tracks including the Bones Howe [[I think it was) sessions including "Time and Love" [[same track as the Jean Terrell led Supremes). I like the LP but I didn't find the newly issued tracks to be that suited to Diane's voice.

Although her second LP "Everything is Everything" was kind of a mish-mash of different styles and material, I like the Hip-O expanded edition of that one a lot more including some of the alternate takes of "I'm Still Waiting" and "Come Together," amongst other bonus tracks.

I also heard an interviewer mention Nathan Jones to her as one of her recordings. She said NOT!