[REMOVE ADS]

New Supremes 50th Anniversary Book/Magazine

Does anyone have any information on the new Supremes 50th Anniversary Book/Magazine that's being released early December?

With so many of you fans "in the know" I was certain I would hear something by now.....

I've been reading all about it on Facebook; looks like it will be available on Amazon and at B & N, among others.

Hmmm... I haven't heard anything and my friends usually alert me to anything 'Supreme' but I'll email Scherrie, Susaye & Lynda tonight to see if they've been contacted. A lot of the time these things go ahead with no collaboration form any of the group members.

Mark Bego's Facebook page lists Dec 8, 2012 as the publication date. Mark states that many collector's have allowed rare photos to be included, and each member of the Supremes will be featured.

Last edited by carole cucumber; 11-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Mark Bego's Facebook page lists Dec 8, 2012 as the publication date. Mark states that many collector's have allowed rare photos to be included, and each member of the Supremes will be featured.

No disrespect to Diane Ross or the Supremes but I'd much rather buy and read a book about the 50th anniversary of the First Lady of Motown Records Miss martha Reeves.

Roberta

It sounds similar to magazines I've seen recently devoted to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

smark21 Guest
    This magazine is being produced by Mark Bego, an author who specializes in quickie celebrity biographies. He posted about this magazine on his Facebook page. The front cover includes a small picture of DMF and a big picture of Mary Wilson taken from the Life’s Been Good to Me photo shoot. On Facebook Bego mentions the magazine will include some rarely seen pics of the Supremes that the fans have provided over the years. I remember a few years back Mary Wilson asking fans for pics of the Supremes for a proposed coffee table book. I wonder if these are the same pics? Mark Bego and Mary are friends. As the coffee table book has yet to see the light of the day, maybe this will be the closest we’ll get to a Supremes coffee table book?

I remember sending her photos for that coffee table book. It was so many years ago, that I forgot what I sent. Will this magazine be available at newstands or is it something special that has to be ordered on line?

Name:  mw.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  94.8 KB
    Last edited by milven; 11-19-2012 at 10:42 PM.

smark21 Guest
    According to Bego on his facebook, the magazine will be available at Barnes and Noble, Target, and Hudson News stands and wherever magazines are sold. I guess I’ll buy it.

This is GREAT news,i can't wait,The Supremes from the 70s,Mary Wilson,Cindy Birdsong,Jean Terrell,Lynda Laurence,Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene were the BEST.
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It sounds similar to magazines I've seen recently devoted to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.
    True. There have also been entire magazines devoted to Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Elvis, Even I have to admit a tribute magazine like this for The darned Supremes is long overdue.

It's too bad that he is the one doing it. IMO it is a bad decision to have just Mary on the cover. Most people in the grocery checkout line will just think it is an Essence magazine. He should have had the Supremes on the cover in all their glory.

Mary looks great. The cover looks great. I look forward to her Supremes magazine.

i agree totally with skooldem

I can't believe there hasn't been a Life Magazine on the Supremes and Temptations or Diana Ross or at least a MOTOWN one. But it's not out there because they don't see a demand for it.

This looks like it will be a minor production. Mark is a bit player who has little else to do. This type of thing from him never sells. It looks like it is most aimed at the Mary Fan Club........which is fine, but small.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This looks like it will be a minor production. Mark is a bit player who has little else to do. This type of thing from him never sells. It looks like it is most aimed at the Mary Fan Club........which is fine, but small.
    If Diana was on the cover would you be fawning all over it?

Quote Originally Posted by helga View Post
    If Diana was on the cover would you be fawning all over it?
    He'd be pissing in his pants and not letting anyone forget it!

I am alright with the pictures on the cover to some degree but the title "My Supremes" is a bit miss leading in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    This is GREAT news,i can't wait,The Supremes from the 70s,Mary Wilson,Cindy Birdsong,Jean Terrell,Lynda Laurence,Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene were the BEST.
    Please stay positive

It is not positive to say one group of suprems is better than an other and florence Balrard Blonide was the best supreme anyway

I'd be appreciative of a Miss Ross one, which is realistic; as is a Stevie Wonder one. Or a Motown one, which is the most realistic.

Regardless of who we like, these lesser Supremes ones, are not gonna happen other than in some mini-fanbase home published affair. Even if I were their husband, I couldn't delude myself ~ nor do they. But a few fans do.

RedHot is always positive and kind.

Diana Ross had a fabulous coffee table book already published with just pictures of her. I wonder if Mary couldn't get a real publisher for her book and just decided to put out what she could. Can you imagine the controversy if Diana put out a Supreme book and called it MY Supremes?

Jobetrob, here is: Diana Ross Going Back [Hardcover] from not long ago [[2006)

Name:  Looking Back.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  4.7 KB

It features different photo shoots she did with famous photographers during her career. Great book. It is gorgeous. Very classy.

http://www.amazon.com/Diana-Ross-Goi...rds=diana+ross

Yes, I have the Diana Ross Going Back coffee book and it was a great coffee book. Again, the book/magazine mentioned here entitled "My Supremes" is not a good feel because of the title.

I'd be appreciative of a Miss Ross one, which is realistic; as is a Stevie Wonder one. Or a Motown one, which is the most realistic.

Regardless of who we like, these lesser Supremes ones, are not gonna happen other than in some mini-fanbase home published affair. Even if I were their husband, I couldn't delude myself ~ nor do they. But a few fans do.

Redhot is a kind lovely person with a beautiful soul and a great positive outlook on life.

I mean no disrespect to Miss Diane Ross or any of the 60's or 70's Supremes but I'd much rather buy and read a magazine or book about the 50th anniversary of the First Lady of Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

How would you know anything about being realistic when you are still fawning over Diana Ross a woman that has not seen success in going on 30 years?

This Mary Wilson and the Supremes career retrospective will make a nice gift for the holidays. The cover looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    How would you know anything about being realistic when you are still fawning over Diana Ross a woman that has not seen success in going on 30 years?
    Some would disagree that she has not seen success in thirty years. She's extended her tour twice , and it wasn't performing in tents , fairs, and high school auditoriumns. It was at big venues like Radio City Music Hall. A recent Grammy and a paycheck of half a milion for a one night birthday party gig. That is not success ? The lady remains an icon.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Some would disagree that she has not seen success in thirty years. She's extended her tour twice , and it wasn't performing in tents , fairs, and high school auditoriumns. It was at big venues like Radio City Music Hall. A recent Grammy and a paycheck of half a milion for a one night birthday party gig. That is not success ? The lady remains an icon.
    You are trying to reason with a person who is as bitter as Bettye LaVette.

Place this person on ignore.

Roberta

There were also 2 Hit albums on the billboard charts in the last 10 years. On TV she made and co/produced 2 moves that had good ratings. The DVD release for the Central Park concert was so successful it even charted on Billboard. Even if Diana Ross never achieved any success after 1970 she was already a legend. The legendary Diana Ross. The men love her, the women love her, and some can't stand it. Cause they are losers. LoL.

smark21 Guest
    Mark Bego will soon be publishing his first novel, according to his facebook page. It’s a mystery story in which the head of a record company is murdered after a concert celebrating the 35th Anniversary of his label, “Motor City Records”. Two of the leading suspects are based on Diana Ross—a tempermental diva and the star lead singer of a girl group.

Too funny
    I love it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Roberta

I think Mary was and is a very sexy and beautiful woman but whoever is making this magazine made a big mistake. I love Mary but she is not as marketable as The Supremes or Diana Ross. It should've been a picture of Diana, Mary and Florence.

As everyone knows, I am a MAJOR ***** DIANA ROSS*** fan...
    however, Mary Wilson CAN say "My Supremes" because she was in the 'group', with Florence, before Ross, and she stayed, long after Ross left, till the very bitter end!
    Miss Ross does nothing, really, to maintain The Supremes legacy[[as Paul MC Cartney or Mick Jagger do, for example) so if this is Mary Wilson's thing, then LET her do her thing... without her efforts, there'd be NOTHING going on to keep The Supremes flame lit...and again, this is coming from a major Ross fan, but a Supremes fan FIRST and FOREMOST!!

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I think Mary was and is a very sexy and beautiful woman but whoever is making this magazine made a big mistake. I love Mary but she is not as marketable as The Supremes or Diana Ross. It should've been a picture of Diana, Mary and Florence.
    There is a picture of Diana, Mary, and Florence it's just not as big as Mary's

IMO that title could have worked if every grouping of Supremes was on the cover with Mary in the middle. I say that only because she was there from the begining until the group was disbanded.
    Hey I just thought about something, Scherrie and Susaye are the only Supremes that never left the group.

Miss Ross does nothing, really, to maintain The Supremes legacy[[as Paul MC Cartney or Mick Jagger do, for example)
    What would you have her do to maintain the legacy? Mick has never left the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney still plays Beatles songs and participates in Beatles projects but he certainly has his own solo career, too. While she's obviously stepped back from her success with the group, Diana has always played Supremes songs in her shows and let's not forget that she certainly tried with the RETURN TO LOVE tour to bring the Supremes back in a major way [[what a wasted opportunity all around). Still, Mary has been the torchbearer for the Supremes so the title "My Supremes" makes perfect sense to me as I imagine it's a look back through Mary's eyes and her memories. As someone else pointed out, can you imagine the outcry if Diana, the lead singer for a majority of the group's amazing success, dared call them "My Supremes"? Hell, she called the songs she actually sang lead on "her" songs and people lost their minds, even though Mary had been singing lead on them for years and years with no one crying foul [[least of all Diana herself). That's why Mary's response to RTL always bothered me; she'd been singing lead on those Supremes songs for decades and Diana never said one word about it or tried to belittle her about it [[even after DREAMGIRL came out) and then when Diana wants to sing them again herself with Supremes, Mary does all she can to torpedo it. It seemed petty to me. Of course, I realize that Diana brought a lot of her problems on herself and obviously makes it hard for people to give her the benefit of the doubt...

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Well said, When you reach icon status...you don't need to prove anything anymore. You've become part of the world's consciousness, a part of our culture and history.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Roberta
    Roberta, that was cold-blooded, but just too funny. I wouldn't have even said that about Ms. LaVette
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Looks great! Cant wait to get it. Mary has kept the legacy alive and succeeded on her own!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Looks great! Cant wait to get it. Mary has kept the legacy alive and succeeded on her own!
    She has done just that1 Exceeded all expectations and I am proud of her.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-21-2012 at 09:27 PM.

I wish I would have known this magazine was going to come out. I could've placed an AVON ad in it and made a Supreme AVON fortune!

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I am alright with the pictures on the cover to some degree but the title "My Supremes" is a bit miss leading in my opinion.
    Well, Mary was the sole original member who was in for the entire ride, start-to-finish, of the Supremes.

F*ck the Supremes.

Marvelettes/Vandellas for life.

But nah seriously, Mark Bego is lower than low. Whatever.

I don't anything about Bego - why is he "lower than low"?

Mark Bego is highly respected by many people including Motown people who post here. Can we have a little celebratin and not just hatin???

Mark Bego is a noted and well known celebrity biographer and a Native Detroiter. I don't know why anyone would hate him or call him lower than low.

Mark Bego is a Super cool guy,again i can't wait to get this magazine
    Please stay positive

As an author, not a person...lol