[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Tamla617

I'm in the centre of London and I aint got mine either

Geez....I got mine....and I ain't even close to London.....I'm playing it on my show tonight....listen in....
    www.womr.org

John

Not received mine yet but.....

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.
    You saved £5.00 with Amazon.co.uk's Pre-order Price Guarantee!
    The price of the item[[s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.
    The following title[[s) decreased in price:
    A Cellarful Of Motown Vol. 4
    Price on order date: £11.99
    Price charged at dispatch: £6.99 Lowest price up to and including release date: £6.99
    Quantity: 1
    Total Savings: £5.00
    £5.00 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.

At least its back in stock now at amazon UK, so hopefully the daughter will be ordering my copy today.

Just got this mesage from amazon UK :

" Hello,

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

Various Artists "A Cellarful Of Motown Vol. 4"
    Estimated arrival date: September 09 2010 - September 13 2010"

Arrghhh !!!

nothing today!
    how does it take from friday to at least tomorrow to get here,or anywhere in great britain.
    has anyone got their order from amazon?tomorrow amazon are going to get get a phone call from me.i wont be ordering from them again,unless they are the only ones that have what i want or they are cheaper.
    hmv seem to manage ok.

Not got mine either mate! The status is showing as "Shipped" so it must be on its way! So far I have resisted the temptation to listen to the clips online but .....

adrian
    i havent listened to the clips either,i wat to hear them in full!be nice wouldnt it?cant wait for the excuses from amazon tomorrow....0800 4961081.

As I wrote on another thread my copy arrived from Amazon this morning in a shabby, dirt encrusted package, as if it has been at the bottom of a postman's sack for days. However, the wait is well worth it and I've abandoned all proposed jobs for the day and am wallowing in the music.....

Must have played this non stop now. STILL cant name a fav cut. Monitors one minute, Blinky the next, then Stevie. WELL, Ill just have to play the whole damn thing AGAIN. Only one Marvelettes this time [[shame), but love it. Whens Volume 5 due?..Paulo XXXX.P.S. Well done all involved for yet another Stunner!

Mine's arrived, from Amazon, in a nice, clean package. I heard the clips, and concentrated on Disc 1 last night.

The Fantastic Four is still, well, fantastic [[and my Dean-Weatherspoon guess from the clips was correct), The Monitors is a cracker [[great lead vocal from Sandra), and Eddie Holland's Twin Brother is fascinating, like Two Lovers but about, well, Two Brothers.

Disc 2 later...

I assume that the albums featured on pp. 8 and 20 of the booklet are part of the producer's collection. From the look of the jacket spines, they seem to have been taken from the shelf, played and then returned often. [[He also includes an artist/group's post Motown output within the Motown section as many of us did/do.)
    It is a nice, homey touch to see fans or campaign phrases associated with certain fans mentioned in the annotations- and the occasional, subtle slipping in of a word or phrase from an artist's album title in the write-up . Although I do see that Hip-O-Select isn't the only one to need an additional proof-reader.
    To me, the Paul Williams track sounds as if it had been written for the Supremes' featuring Mary Wilson on lead. Interestingly, Paul's vocals were recorded on 4 different days. Does this mean that there are alternate versions in the vaults?

honest man Guest
    WELL WELL WHAT AN AMAZING COLLECTION, Got to tell you my faves top 10 in cd running order, keep on trying F42 2doctor of love monitors 3 all i need is a chance robert dobyne 4 that's the way marvelettes 5it's company time versatones,[much better than tape version i've had for years]6 i need you now more...paul williams7 it's gonna be blinky8why don't you come home stevie 9 head over heels spinners 10in the summmer lollipops ,ok one more f4 take him back , excellent set thank you to all who contributrd to this project, just keeps getting better, got to say paul williams is my fave track followed by monitors. spinners, stevie, and the 2 f4 tracks, thanks millions, lastly the marvin gaye track three time loser, who else recorded this song, [maybe i have marvin on old tape]any help apreciated, cheers and thank you

I'm curious.... It has been determined that after the tape logging/library system was established in Detroit, the greater majority of Detroit session dates were written into the logs. Motown's California office did not appear to keep such accurate records in the 60's.
    And yet, some of the songs listed as having been recorded in California [['Your Kiss Kiss', 'Little Miss Loser') or Los Angeles [['You Gave Me Love To Live For') state 'recorded before' such and such a date. How was this date arrived at? Is the 'recorded before' date determined by the date Detroit received a finished master sent for consideration for release? Or was a subsequent version, recorded by yet another artist, discovered in the vaults which lists the CFOM4 date as a component in its log? Or was there some other indicator that helped to pinpoint the date listed in COM4?
    Last edited by pj1; 09-04-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Paul or Keith,
    Please refresh my memory- The David Ruffin track , 'In The Cool Of The Night' credits Norma Jean Toney as composer. Yet the write-up mentions the song being a "Smokey cool tune". Is there a connection between Norma Jean and Smokey Robinson- or was it just a reference to musical styles?

Just musical style - sorry my use of the word smokey meant smokin'

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Just musical style - sorry my use of the word smokey meant smokin'
    Paul,
    Thanks for responding. The capitalization of the 'S' in the word 'Smokey' threw me.
    Are you also able to answer my post of 4:11 A.M. ? Thank you most kindly.

Paul,
    I decided to do a small piece of research. Going to The Supremes- ''There's A Place For Us'' cd, sessions for 'Little Miss Loser' show log dates of March 3, 7, 13 and April 15, 1965. Although 7 of the 12 "TAPFU" tracks credit Marc & Hal as producers [[joined by Harvey Fuqua on all but one) and 4 others note the involvement of Mickey Stevenson [[one solo, one with Hank Cosby, and two with Ivy Jo Hunter), the production slot of 'Little Miss Loser' lists only one of its composers, Ron Miller. And Rom was a co-writer of 4 of the songs on the album [[2 produced by the Marc-Hal-Harvey team , and one by Mickey-Ivy Jo)
    Brenda's version was recorded several months before, utilizing Marc Gordon & Hal Davis as producers. I wonder why they just didn't produce the Supremes' version of 'LML' themselves?
    I always found Ron Miller's comment in J. Randy Taraborrelli's first book on Diana issued in 1985 to be puzzling. " A couple of the songs like 'Big City Babies Don't Cry' and 'Little Miss Loser' were very jazzy; we were just searching for a direction. None of the stuff ever came out. I hope it never does- for her sake as well as mine".
    I, for one, am glad it did come out... and feel the same about Brenda's version!
    Last edited by pj1; 09-05-2010 at 08:36 PM.

In yesterdays Times [[of London) newspaper Playlist magazine supplement ...
    ..... they have a 'PLAYLISTED' Our Tracks of the Moment 'Top 10' ..........
    ......................... at No.3 in this Top 10 .............................
    ............ Gladys Knight & the Pips "The Day You Take One" .........
    A gloriously feel-good 'lost' Motown treasure. Just one to be found on 'A Cellarful of Motown'.

............. Can't say fairer than that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received mine today. First of all, a mighty thank you to Paul and everyone involved in the project. The series are going strong and the amount of quality music languishing in the vaults should surprise no one any more, still I can't believe most of these things weren't released at the time. I don't want to come off as a critic [[the only one so far?), but after an initial listening round I believe this is the weakest volume so far, albeit slightly. Not because the series has taken an inevitable step away from its Northern Soul-ish origin, because so I have the during the last two years, but because there were very few songs that stood out to me. This has, in other words, not anything to do with the quality of the music, it has to do with my personal tastes and, supposedly, my expectations [[I had literally goosebumps all over during the opening songs that only newly discovered Motown songs can give you). A couple of favorites so far:

- The Lollipops - In The Summer
    Who is this girl singing lead? She's absolutely fantastic. "Sweet Sweet Love" from ACoM V3 floored me, and I couldn't stop smiling during this song. A special thanks for including Lollipops in this volume as well. Can't wait to hear more from them!

- The Fantastic Four - Keep On Tryin' [[Til I Find Your Love) & Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy
    Five words: Sweet Sweet Sweet James Epps. What a marvelous singer! I don't know how he makes me shiver with his voice everytime I hear it, only that he does. He put so much energy and enthusiasm into the late-1960's Motown recordings and it comes through on these two songs as well.

- Holland & Dozier - Lead Me And Guide Me
    Eric [[Silly Wasn't I) have spoken highly of "I've Got A Right To Cry", and it fulfilled all my hopes about it, albeit being just a demo. Great vocal by LaBrenda, and a rocking production from Holland and Dozier, bearing some resemblance to their early work with Martha & The Vandellas among others.

- Joe Stubbs - The Girl I've Chosen To Be My Bride
    Can't help loving this song [[figure out that pun if you can!) since Joe is a favorite singer of mine. A solid performance from him here over an interesting backing track. I wouldn't be able to put down George Gordy's production signature on paper if I were asked to, but this one made me interested to learn more. The flute is a nice [[not dated!) touch.

- Dennis Edwards - I'll Turn To Stone
    Familiar rocker this one, and although I hold Four Tops version in higher regard Dennis give the Tops' a run for their money. Good vocal from him, production is tight and possibly the most dance-friendly version of them all [[not blaming the Tops', Barbara's and The Supremes' respective versions to be creepers).
    Last edited by mr_postman; 09-10-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Mine's arrived, from Amazon, in a nice, clean package. I heard the clips, and concentrated on Disc 1 last night.

The Fantastic Four is still, well, fantastic [[and my Dean-Weatherspoon guess from the clips was correct), The Monitors is a cracker [[great lead vocal from Sandra), and Eddie Holland's Twin Brother is fascinating, like Two Lovers but about, well, Two Brothers.

Disc 2 later...
    There's a much better version of that song still in The Vaults. I am told that that other version will be released in the not-too-distant future.

What surprised me about this set..was it seemed that much of the material sounded like standard R&B sounds of the 60s..
    Ex: The Oma Heard song reminded me of "Hypnotized"...they didn't have the Motown "stamp" on them but the melody
    was interesting...and the arrangements...[[the Tammi Terrell song grew on me)...The Stevie Wonder song sounded like a song
    ahead of its time..like it should have been on the "Key of Life" album...It shocked me that Motown recorded "regular" good
    songs without the Motown Sound...

My favorites are: Gladys[[The Day) from disc one..that should have been a single!!,Dr. of love,Daddy Cool..the jr.tracks..Martha,Miracles...that one stood out,Earl Van Dyke...Blinky...my favorite one on the whole set was the one
    "Somebody's Waiting for Me " Contours..another one that should have been a single!!...Twin Brother was interesting too..

Thanks to all involved in this project..am enjoying these sets..

Depends opon your interpretation of better
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  21.1 KB

There's a much better version of that song still in The Vaults. I am told that that other version will be released in the not-too-distant future.

Hi all, I´m very late because I had a heavy accident with a tree in the forest. Now my hock is three times broken and I believe I can´t go to work until the end of the year. The broke was very complicated and I had an operation during three hours and now I must be quick before the hurt calls me again to come in the bed.

For me personally this collections have three tracks which describes the cream of the crop. The Tammi Terrell song is very amazing and The Andantes give her the perfect vocal backrounds. The Blinky song is a further milstone because the production is sophisticated for Blinky´s deep soul style. And finally - everyone knows that I think - Oma Heard with Daddy cool. I love to hear when she sings "Daddy cool today I know you lost your favorite fool" I would be so thankful somebody can send me the complete lyrics and then I would like to know who sings the backround vocals, could it be The Temptations ?????????

Thanks very much for every help..........now the hurt calls me, but I´m very thankful for that short visit on the boards .....

Get well soon, mrlonleyheart. I'm sorry about the accident and the pain that has come with it. On the brighter side, perhaps you'll find more time to be with your dearest and [[of course) with your music collection.

Smile

Have to say this is a fantastic series - many thanks to all concerned.

As everyone says, we all have our own taste - usually it takes a few plays for tracks to stand out enough to become firm favourites. Right now, I would have to vote for my top three as:
    1) In The Cool Of The Night - David Ruffin [[fantastic sound and vocal)
    2) You Didn't Show Girl - The Temptations
    3) It's Gonna Be Always - Blinky
    But this could all change tomorrow.

Surprise for me is The Vows as the vocal performance is fabulous. The one I'm really struggling with is the Tammi track - I need to persevere on this!

If I was to vote for my favourite track of the whole series, out of the numerous stand out cuts, it would be the Isley Brothers - I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love - just love the vocals on this one. This kinda puts me in my place because even the sleeve notes point to this song not being the best material [[clearly I have to disagree).

Can't wait for volume 5.

In my opinion I hear Diana Ross and The Supremes on the Mary Wells track, can somebody confirmed ?????

My ears tell me the same

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Have to say this is a fantastic series - many thanks to all concerned.

As everyone says, we all have our own taste - usually it takes a few plays for tracks to stand out enough to become firm favourites. Right now, I would have to vote for my top three as:
    1) In The Cool Of The Night - David Ruffin [[fantastic sound and vocal)
    2) You Didn't Show Girl - The Temptations
    3) It's Gonna Be Always - Blinky
    But this could all change tomorrow.

Surprise for me is The Vows as the vocal performance is fabulous. The one I'm really struggling with is the Tammi track - I need to persevere on this!

If I was to vote for my favourite track of the whole series, out of the numerous stand out cuts, it would be the Isley Brothers - I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love - just love the vocals on this one. This kinda puts me in my place because even the sleeve notes point to this song not being the best material [[clearly I have to disagree).

Can't wait for volume 5.
    Gotta agree with you that Vows track is a killer! I don't know why it never got released. It's just as good as the Miracles' version. In fact, the lead singer bests Smokey's interpretation. The Monitors' Doctor of Love track was also good, catchy hook, memorable melody. It reminds all that the Monitors had two lead singers: Sandra & Richard. Sandra Fagin had something special [[star quality). You could not keep your eyes off her when the Monitors performed live.
    As I predicted when this was annonced, Cellarful 4 is the best set yet. Good job Paul.

Thank you young sir and all those who have sent messages of appreciation, I know there have been rublings of dicontent with this 4th volume of the series, mostly on other boards so it's great to have the support for the set on here. Of course they are entitled to their opinion and in all honesty it took me a little while to grow to love a few of the tracks but in the main I am really happy with this set - and it's selling like hot cakes as well - so we must be doing something right.

Don't get too cocky, Mr. Nixon.
    I'll have you know that there are only about 47 tracks that I like on this release !!!

I've only done one quick listen to the set since mine came in, but the ones that jumped out at me are:

Cool Cool Baby-Jr Walker & The All Stars [[how about a Lost & Found on Jr Walker--who do I give my money to?);
    Only A Lonely Man Would Know [[this stunning tune has got me going through my collection pulling out more Ivy Jo);
    ...and I agree with the others re the nice The Monitors', Joe Stubbs, and Gladys Knight selections

I'm glad you included a pretty ballad from one of my favorite MT singers, Brenda Holloway...as a ballad-loving California girl, I've always said I wish I could go back in the various vaults after the Brits have left and pull out the ballads they threw back in : )

Been playing COM4 in the car going to and from the office for a while now.

It really is fantastic having new motown product from the 60s out on the street.

Keep trying to pick favourites but it seems to change depending on what part of the CD is playing at the time.

Love the Vandellas track most of all I think. The Jr Walker tracks take me straight down Mod Street, Hammond organ and Jrs sax, fantastic. The Monitors, Fantastic Four, Detroit Spinners, Blinky, Eddie Holland, Robert Dobyne, the list goes on and on.... Earl van Dyke's Spencer Davis type offering...mmmmm.

I think the cd shows yet again the soul of motown which maybe didn't get a fair chance when the label was looking for commercial high selling product over more gutsy offerings. Forgot to mention Ivy Jo Hunter, Marvin and David Ruffin, more gems.

As a Northern Soulie having spent years rooting around who knows where to find rare and unreleased gems, I'm glad Universal have given the keys to the chocolate box for someone to search out these beauties. Am taking the other 3 COM in the car tomorrow. Hopefully I'll allow myself to get COM4 out of the cd player long enough in the coming days to refresh my memory on these! But it will be a hard job!

I love the Vandellas track too but I wonder why it is credited to 'The Vandellas' rather than 'Martha and the Vandellas', it's clearly Martha on lead.

A typo error unfortunately that did not get picked up in time

I have been looking out in Mojo and Uncut Magazine, but haven't seen any adverts or reviews of this set in the magazines,and I was wondering how this set has faired with sales compared to the other volumes, I can't remember the other sets 'selling out' on pre order!
    For the record I think that this volume is only bettered by Volume 1, Thanks to Mr Nixon, all those who continue to seek out the lost recordings and the Artists who put their hearts and Soul into these recordings only for them to lay unheard for 40+ years, sorry it's to too late for some of them to get their dues.