[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    It was only the constraints of time that stopped the issue of a lot of these recordings. The market would have been flooded.

That's quite correct 144man

It was just not possible to issue all these records.......some were not good enough , for commercial release it's true, but many are just , if not , better, than tracks voted for.
    Which brings me to a question I was going to ask.
    There must have been layers of "Quality control" before they reached the OFFICIAL meetings.
    It would not have been possible for the top table to have listened and evaluated ALL recordings .So there must have been some filtering out at a lower stage.....and with that comes personal taste,friendships, jealousy,envy.............all kinds of factors that affected the potential chances of 100s of cuts.

As a collector, and Massive fan of the Motown Artists and Sound, I am really happy to get these Lost and Found and Cellar Full Discs, along with the Anthologies and even the Spectrum discs, reason being, that as long as there are these Gems sneaking out of the Vaults for the Fans it Keeps the interest alive in Motown and its Legacy, and for the Casual buyers there are always the 'Gold's' greatest Hits and another collection to buy. Since these anthologies have seen the light of day it has brought Brenda, Kim, Velvelettes,Chuck, Mable, Chris Clark over on Tour to the UK, and if it was not for these relases, myself and many others would never have been able to see these legends perform Live, and for that reason I will carry on buying these cd's.

well, I JUST Have to say that I am so grateful that this music is finally, albeit slowly, being made available for all us MOTOWN FANS! MAY IT LONG CONTINUE!! Thanks to Paul Nixon, HW Etal, we should be forever thankful.YES, some of the tracks would never have had a chance of getting past quality control and to the top of the charts, BUT, arent they fantastic, in their own way? I love many other forms of music, including Jazz, Jazz-Funk,Trance, Techno [[DETROIT), Hard House, and other idioms.BUT, give me Wanda, Levi, Martha, Tammi etc etc...and Im in heaven. Mono, Stereo,Quad..who cares? Just give me that Sound of young America....ta..LOL..PAULO XXXXX P.S. Who said Its Whats In the Grooves that Count??

You just did!

...HMV just cheered me up...

Your order’s in the post and should be with you soon. If you’ve pre–ordered, we'll aim to get it to you on the day of release [[UK deliveries only).

Qty Format Artist Title Price Estimated Delivery

1 CD VA A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN VOLUME 4 £8.99 2-5 days

Actually...the original motto on the Gordy label was "It's What's in the Grooves that Count"...BAD grammar! The graphics were changed to correct grammar in 1967.

Mine's ln the post as well. YIPPEE!!!

and only£6 99p on play.com

Gordy

Perish the thought that I'm a tight [[squeak squeak) wad....but I could only find the £8.99 copy.

On my mp3 player, the Cellarful of Motwn and the Connosieur Series are in rotation all the time. Some of what is released on the COM series are better than some of the albumtracks that were released and I still listen to those. I've even put a few of the songs from COM on compilations for friends and on music cd's for events and they always fit the mood of the party or the event just fine.

And I prefer the unreleased to another hits compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by GORDY View Post
    and only£6 99p on play.com
    http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1606...4/Product.html

It's £8.99 on Play unless you can find a different link!

My copy arrived today and I have just started listening to CD1

...mine too rovereab ...listening to it right now ...great to hear each song in its entirity ...after only hearing the samples earlier ...loving the Joe Stubbs track as I write ...you open the cd case and are hit with a glorious photo ...that every UK Motown fan will warm to ...the essays and annotations are more thorough than ever ...the pics are exquisite ...the whole production looks classier ...thank you so much ...to Paul Nixon ...Chris Jenner ...and Keith Hughes ...a fantastic job ...amazingly well done!!!

...now to Disc 2

Grape

honest man Guest
    grapevine and rob who did you order from, i preordered with amazonuk. i am so jealous lol, cheers

I've ordered with amazon too....

BUT to ease the pain, I've linked on to the mp3 "play all tracks" on CFOM vol 1.......and it sounds better than ever, not played it for a while.
    The quality of these vaulted tunes is remarkably high..

"Lucky Lucky me" indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    grapevine and rob who did you order from, i preordered with amazonuk. i am so jealous lol, cheers
    HMV. Same price £8.99. They usually manage to get pre-orders delivered by the Sat prior to the Mon release date.

Have just finished playing it so here are my initial thoughts.

In my view COM4 is different from the previous volumes as the tracks & artists chosen don't all have what I think of as having a distinct Motown sound. The compilers have mixed things up a bit and it's worked out for the better. It all begins with the Blackberries 'Kidnapped' which is a real Motown stomper even though it's from the '70's [[I think). As side one progresses it goes through various styles & tempos which kept my interest although there are a couple of tracks which still have to grow on me. Side two is 24ct gold, again with a diverse range of artists and sounds. From Martha Reeves & The Vandellas brash 'Miss Lonely Heart' to Brenda Holloway's sublime 'Little Miss Loser' the quality never drops. Many of the tracks should have been singles and could have been hits. COM4 shows conclusively that Motown was just not always pumping out the same old song, however good it might be.

Picking out favourites is difficult as I have so many but I'll list a few. From side one I think that the big surprises are 'All I Need Is A Chance' - Robert Dobyne, 'Daddy, Cool' - Oma Heard & 'Have A Little Patience [[And Wait) - Mary Wells. Stand outs from side two are 'Only A Lonely Man Would Know' - Ivy Jo Hunter, 'It's Gonna Be Always' - Blinky, 'Don't Let Me Be Lonely' - Tammi Terrell & 'Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch' - Shorty Long.

The liner notes are great & readable without a magnifying glass which is even better. The photos are lovely especially that new one of Blinky. Lastly the two most important words are the final two written in the introduction which are 'so far'!

Grateful thanks to Paul N, Keith, Chris and all those involved in what is probably the most interesting edition of the COM series.

Now Copley. I'm surprised that you never mentioned the Marvelettes.

Was that not one that hit the spot?

Even though I ordered the set when it first went online with Amazon UK it is only just showing today ready for shipping can't cancel, but it has been Reduced to £6.99p, take of a £1 for postage and the packing, £5.99 amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Even though I ordered the set when it first went online with Amazon UK it is only just showing today ready for shipping can't cancel, but it has been Reduced to £6.99p, take of a £1 for postage and the packing, £5.99 amazing!
    I'm confused. Amazon is showing the price of £8.99 with free p&p. Where do you get the £5.99 from?

mines been dispatched from amazon today [[sat).some on motwntreasures already have theirs from hmv,i think.how do they get it quicker?amazons THE force in the market so why cant they get it at least as fast.never mind at least it is coming

I used to work in a music department...and let me tell you, we would get in SO much trouble for selling things BEFORE the street date [[yep, they track units sold and the date). Must be different rules in the UK to ship an item before it officially hits stores...every time I've preordered from Amazon.com, it ships the day of release, not before.

The overseas rate from Amazon.co.uk is £7.65...not sure where the £5.99 is coming from!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I'm confused. Amazon is showing the price of £8.99 with free p&p. Where do you get the £5.99 from?
    My copy was mailed today so it may arrive Wednesday? copley I said £6.99 less you mean aftee the approx costs for postage and packaging, when I looked at my order late last night then I saw it had been changed from £8.99 to £6.99 and that' what has gone through, Amazon often update prices.

Mine is on its way from Amazon too - At £6.99

Good heavens! Well that is incredible, how do they make any money at that price?

i had £2.51 lurking in my amazon account [[left over from a gift certificate),so it turns out i now only pay £4.48.i'd forgotten about the gift cert.and i dont remember ticking anything to use it.
    i dont know how anyone makes any money out of this tho'.i love getting it cheap,but the thing is if they cant make much money will they bother to do a com 5?

Mine hasn't dispatched yet, but it is now only £6.99!

thank you for the head's up about this, I still haven't heard the 3rd one so I better catch up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHH3VIwgdKg

Robert Dobyne - All I Need Is A Chance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpp8Sq8Aznc

Te Monitors - Doctor Of Love

These two tracks from Cellarful of Motown Volume 4 should get you all moist in anticipation and gagging to hear the other 48 tracks

Doctor of Love by The Monitors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpp8Sq8Aznc

All I Need Is A Chance by Robert Dobyne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHH3VIwgdKg

Not sure it's a good idea Lester to post them where they can be downloaded

Anyone got an actual UK release date yet. My local keeps informing me "Its been put back again, now showing early September."

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Anyone got an actual UK release date yet. My local keeps informing me "Its been put back again, now showing early September."
    It's released in the UK tomorrow Mon 30th Aug. Most people who pre-ordered it have now received it.

I received mine Friday, but won't have time to play it till tomorrow.

Does anyone agree that the vocalist on I've Got a Right to Cry [[Lead Me and Guide Me) sounds like Gloria Jean Williamson, lead of the Vells?

Could it be Ann Bogan? The vocalist sounds like her on the Andantes' "Like A Nightmare."

I don't have the best hearing but I agree that it doesn't sound like LaBrenda Benn from what little I have of hers.

I have now listened to the two CDs couple of times now and must say how impressed I am with overall balance of tracks that cover the different styles and years of Motown. I have to agree with the booklet comment about the Tammi track being a grower - it grew on me after a couple of plays. I suspect Motown might have been trying different styles of songs with her and to my ears she handles them all so brilliantly.

The CD booklet is brilliant too, great information and pictures, so overall a fantastic purchase.

Many thanks to all involved - I guess you must have great fun putting these CDs together!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Not sure it's a good idea Lester to post them where they can be downloaded
    Paul I feel your pain! As badly as I want to hear them all NOW, I definitely hope that no one rushes to post these songs where they can be heard for FREE! They're just coming out, let them at least begin to [[financially) justify all the work that went into their production and release. Especially if we hope for more in the future. Yet another reason that the music industry is in such a sorry state, imho.

Thanks Positive exactly my reasoning - I don't want to be a killjoy but the double CD is so cheap why jeapordize it's sales by bootlegging it - go out and buy it and you might just get another volume - share the tracks around - harm the sales figures and you can say goodbye to anymore

...... harm the sales figures and you can say goodbye to anymore ......
    well amazon.co.uk are already sold out of copies, so I guess they're doing good business on the CD !!!
    I'm getting my copy as a b'day pressie next week [[amazon stock willing) !!!!

Paul, I don't think you're being a killjoy at all - just being realistic. Nobody's going to get rich off these CD's so I'd say it's nothing less than a duty
    for Motown fans to buy the actual cds. Now I don't know exactly how Universal view the Cellarful series - it gets them justifiably good press but
    I'm sure the accounts departments wouldn't think twice about pulling the plug on the entire reissue line if they didn't at least break even.

We're talking about CD's where one track is working out at less than 25P a throw. You can't buy a packet of crisps for that. You're also getting
    throroughly researched booklets, unseen photos and the thrill of being excited about a new release just like you felt when you were in your teens
    and hearing Motown tracks for the first time. I've been collecting for close to 45 years now and it's been a long time since I looked forward with
    eager anticipation to a new release - and that's what these are - brand new vintage product. I don't know how you've managed to persuade
    Universal to keep the list price of the series so low .. but they're cheap enough that people show buy extra copies to give as presents to
    a younger generation that needs educating.

If you want to hear what the tracks sound like there's always the samples at Amazon - personally I've been trying to restrain myself from
    listening to them as I want to hear the full tracks on my own stereo system.

I'm not expecting to love every track on COM4 but it doesn't bother me in the slightest - over the years I've spend a fortune on albums that have
    a few great tracks. I think we should all be grateful that the COM series even exists - no US label would dream of keeping the unit costs so low
    on "product" that's not going to make any dent in the spreadsheets. I've said some harsh things in my time about the major labels but this is
    one of the few times I'm happy to see my money going into a corporate maw - because there ARE people in those conglomerates that actually
    love the music as much as I do. As I said nobody's going to get rich off the COM series - I don't know if any of the artists are going to see
    a cent in royalties but I'll leave that to the accounts departments to figure out. Just get out there and start contributing to keeping the
    Velvelettes in lipstick.

Fan the flame.

Now available on CD Wow

Price 17.99 US, free shipping. Ship time 7 - 10 days.

Good price and I have done very well with them.

dba

Now here's the FAIR way to go. Another preview of Tammi's song. Quite welcomed too!

http://www.we7.com/#/song/Tammi-Terr...Lonely-Tonight

Got the call this morning that my copy had arrived. Rushed down, got it, and playing it now. Very interesting.

Davie....you be the sensible one!

I'm still awaiting for my copy to arrive.

What a great compilation! Thank you Paul and everyone else involved.

For the first time in the series I had an outright favorite track after just one play. For what it's worth my Top Three tracks at the moment are [[1) Blinky: It's Gonna Be Always [[2) Marv Johnson: She's all I need [[In This World) [[3) The Monitors: Doctor of Love. There are several other tracks not far behind. Also I think the best vocal performances are [[a) Male: Edwin Starr on Born to Be Bad; and [[b) Female: Brenda Holloway on Little Miss Loser.

It's nice to see three tracks here composed by the under-rated team of George Gordy and Allen Story. After all these years I'm only just beginning to appreciate their work.

Talking What a set!

Paul and everyone involved in bringing these tracks out of the vaults, Thanks, mine arrived this morning and has not been off the CD player yet, can't pick a favorite yet, but like the Stevie, Fantastic Four and Gladys Knight tracks are stuck in my head, I need to have a few more listens but really enjoying this set.

how has the world and his wife got this and i havent???
    has any one in the states got it yet? i'm not not sure who on here lives in the uk or the states
    i know the bank hols got in the way but i'll be bouncing if i dont see it on my door mat tomorrow!