[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Cellarful Of Motown Volume 4

...now available for pre-order at HMV @ £8.99

http://tinyurl.com/3ax3fya

The Superb 4th Instalment of The Acclaimed Lost & Found Series, featuring 50 Stunning Never Heard Before Motown Treasures from the likes of Stevie Wonder, Brenda Holloway, Marvin Gaye, Edwin Starr, The Spinners Plus Many More. Also included in the 2 disc set is a beautifully designed 20 page booklet with detailed sleeve notes and annotations by Motown connoisseur Paul Nixon plus gorgeous original photos from the Motown photo archive.

With no sign of the goodies drying up in the Motown Vaults, it's with great pleasure, after exhaustive research that we bring you the fourth volume in this stunning series that can proudly boast the release in total of over 200 vaulted examples of Detroit's finest sounds that astonishingly never made it past the recording studio.

Featured are the usual 'out on the floor' thumping Motown scorchers plus newly discovered ballads and sophisticates. Some of the greatest discoveries on this collection include an amazing unheard classic 'Why Don't You Come Home' recorded in 1968 by the young music genius Stevie Wonder. Also featured is an absolute stomper 'Born To Be Bad' from UK Favourite Edwin Starr and possibly the most special discovery of all, an undeniable 1963 classic 'Three Times Loser' by the incredible Marvin Gaye, proving that despite the declaration that just about every vaulted Gaye track has been discovered, the Cellarful series continues to unlock a piece of music history.

Both Brenda Holloway and Barbara McNair close a CD each with examples of how artists explored their repertoire while there are more than enough core Motown floor fillers to excite and seduce the staunchest Motown fan.

This sensational 2 disc set proves that the Quality Control team at Motown potentially missed many great recording that could have become huge hits. The mystery remains as to how these fantastic gems were consigned to the Motown Vaults, but their loss is your gain some 40 years down the road! We defy you to keep your feet still as you listen to these newly restored treasures that have been lovingly rescued thanks to the grace of modern technology.

Grape

Does it say anything about the Temptations track?

...it says what it says xtown

...here's a reminder of what we have to look forward to...

Disc One

1.01 Kidnapped - The Blackberries
    1.02 Keep On Tryin' [['Til You Find Love) - The Fantastic Four
    1.03 Your Kiss Kiss - Marvin Gaye & Oma Page
    1.04 My Baby Moves Me - Brenda Holloway
    1.05 Cool Cool Baby - Jr. Walker & The All Stars
    1.06 The Girl I've Chosen To Be My Bride - Joe Stubbs
    1.07 You Didn't Show Girl - The Temptations
    1.08 My Baby Changes Like The Weather - The Vows
    1.09 Doctor Of Love - The Monitors
    1.10 All I Need Is A Chance - Robert Dobyne
    1.11 The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    1.12 Ain't Gonna Tell You - Frank Wilson
    1.13 Dancing U.S.A. - The Contours
    1.14 That's The Way I See Him - The Marvelettes
    1.15 Have A Little Patience [[And Wait) - Mary Wells
    1.16 Three Time Loser - Marvin Gaye
    1.17 Lead Me And Guide Me - Holland & Dozier
    1.18 It's Company Time - The Versatones
    1.19 Twin Brother - Eddie Holland
    1.20 Think Of The Times - Carolyn Crawford
    1.21 You're What's Happening Baby - Four Tops
    1.22 I'll Turn To Stone - Dennis Edwards
    1.23 I Need You More Now Than Ever - Paul Williams
    1.24 Daddy, Cool - Oma Page
    1.25 The Real You - Barbara McNair

Disc 2

2.01 Miss Lonely Heart - The Vandellas
    2.02 The House That Jack Built - J.J. Barnes
    2.03 The Philly Dog - Earl Van Dyke
    2.04 Whole Lot Of Shakin' In My Heart [[Since I Met You) - The Utopians
    2.05 Only A Lonely Man Would Know - Ivy Jo
    2.06 It's Gonna Be Always - Blinky
    2.07 Somebody's Waiting For Me - The Contours
    2.08 A Bird In The Hand [[Is Worth Two In The Bush) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    2.09 Don't Let Me Be Lonely - Tammi Terrell
    2.10 Why Don't You Come Home - Stevie Wonder
    2.11 You Can Do It - The Miracles
    2.12 You Gave Me Love To Live For - Debbie Dean
    2.13 Head Over Heels In Love With You Baby - The Spinners
    2.14 I'd Cry - Chuck Jackson
    2.15 In The Summer - The Lollipops
    2.16 Just Let Me Thank You For Loving Me - The Originals
    2.17 I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again - Dennis Edwards
    2.18 Sock It Too 'Um - Jr. Walker & The All Stars
    2.19 Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy - The Fantastic Four
    2.20 Born To Be Bad - Edwin Starr
    2.21 She's All I Need [[In This World) - Marv Johnson
    2.22 Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch - Shorty Long
    2.23 Hey Girl, Come On Do The Pearl - The Agents
    2.24 In The Cool Of The Night - David Ruffin
    2.25 Little Miss Loser - Brenda Holloway

Last edited by grapevine; 08-06-2010 at 04:34 AM.

I have pre ordered mine with Amazon for £11.99, but if HMV are selling it for £8.99 I will be changing my supplier!
    I am really waiting for the Mary Wells and Tammi Terrell tracks, plus the Temps along with their solo efforts.

dickiemint, it is £8.99 with Amazon I just checked my order?

Cheers jaybs, I just checked too, apparently I will have the difference refunded to the cheapest price after release, it is a kind of price promise on Amazon!
    2 weeks and counting!

You Bet! two weeks can't pass soon enough and then the Tammi CD later in the year!

I've just ordered mine from HMV, I have an interest free [till next March] Amazon card, seemingly I get half as many loyalty points if I use it at Amazon than I do anywhere else, so by using it at HMV I get loyalty points from them & double the Amazon points that I would have got by using it with them, err go figure that.

I buy my cd's with a BT credit card and I get all these points that automatically reduces my BT phone bill.

It's fab.....now I can bore the pants off Paul Nixon AND be happy about paying for it!

I pay cash! Is that getting old fashioned now John? [[LOL)

David.

Of course it is....I think it says in history books that it originated in the seventies although it has come back into fashion at least three times since then!

You'll have to wait until it comes back into fashion again..
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 08-06-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Just ordered my copy - can't wait for it to arrive.

It is interesting that once again the "Tamla Motown" logo is featured on the cover. Does anybody know why this is?

Eamonn

i pay for mine with a debit card and then we've got less money to buy food,bargain!......priorities!

I had to laugh because I originally ordered it through Amazon UK because I figured the release date in the US might be a month or so later. A week or so ago, I saw on the forum that CFOM4 was now available for pre-order on Amazon US releasing the week after the UK. So I canceled my UK order that would've taken a week to arrive here in California and re-ordered it through Amazon US figuring I'd still get it at about the same time--but with free shipping using my Amazon Prime 2-day delivery. Everything's great, right? Just a couple of days ago, I got a notice from Amazon.com that the US release has been bumped back yet another week making it available 2 weeks after the UK release. Can't win for all the losing! Don't these people know I need my Motown fix?! LOL Four weeks and counting here in the US... ;-)

It features the Tamla Motown logo because it's a British release, and that was the logo all Motown releases came out with in Britain in the 60s and 70s, regardless of what label they were originally on in the US - so that's the logo that instantly says "Classic Motown" to British fans.

Drat!

Just got this in an email from Amazon:-

Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item[[s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Various Artists "A Cellarful Of Motown Vol. 4"
    Estimated arrival date: September 03 2010 - September 07 2010

Yes, ditto:

"Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item[[s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Various Artists "A Cellarful Of Motown Vol. 4"
    Estimated arrival date: September 08 2010 - September 14 2010"

The question is.... do I just order from Amazon US or do I bite the bullet and take a trip to London and pick it up in person? Ahhhh to be on the horns of a dilemma!

Thom

Can you make it early or late September when I'm not on vacation. And can you give me some notice so I can get the vacuum out and try to remember how it works!

I'd show you how a vacuum works but I doubt your carpets would get clean!

There was just so much one could do with his statement!!

Elegant....now dont put that smiley tongue back in your mouth...you don't know where it's been!

As long as it keeps you happy Elegant....then I'm happy

...and who cares about carpets..bring it on?

I can't believe you passed on "on the horns of dilemma", John.

Lorne

Lorne- Have I? I better ask for a second chance...!

Amazon UK

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    The question is.... do I just order from Amazon US or do I bite the bullet and take a trip to London and pick it up in person? Ahhhh to be on the horns of a dilemma!
    www.amazon.co.uk will do it for you - very fast delivey is my experience.

Rob

I may not be as fast as I used to but I still can give a good delivery...

Won't touch that one!!..[[Just saw the comment and read between the lines!!)

Just l listened to the 29 second samples for all tracks on Amazon
    Fantastic set....

Deserves your full support
    100% Motown ..some wonderful dancers
    Loved to hear The Miracles track....from "Special Occasion" era on first impression...my favourite Smokey period.
    Just playing them again....and they sound ten times better than first listen.
    HDH track needs explaining...no doubt the liner notes will do so.Assume this to be La Brenda Ben?

Buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Just l listened to the 29 second samples for all tracks on Amazon
    Fantastic set....

Deserves your full support
    100% Motown ..some wonderful dancers
    Loved to hear The Miracles track....from "Special Occasion" era on first impression...my favourite Smokey period.
    Just playing them again....and they sound ten times better than first listen.
    HDH track needs explaining...no doubt the liner notes will do so.Assume this to be La Brenda Ben?

Buy it!
    Silly Snakepit- didn't see the samples CFOM4 thread!

Yes Larry, just done the same. By the sounds of it the vast majority are Sixties tracks [[barring the Lollipops, Paul Williams, Blinky, David Ruffin?). Particularly like the Fantastic Four's Keep On Tryin' Til You Find Love [[Dean-Weatherspoon by the sound of it), the Monitors' Doctor Love [[Sandra on lead) and, of course, the Originals' track [[Hank Dixon on lead), the JJ Barnes and the Joe Stubbs tracks.

It's brilliant to hear there was more from Paul Williams besides Feel Like Givin Up and Once You Had A Heart. Wonder if there's more?

Soulwally

Agree with your comments....would be nice to sweep up on Paul Williams tracks.
    Originals track good...knew you'd like that.
    100% Motown stuff here...a better set that I thought we could expect , if I'm being honest.

Monitors, Contours, Fantastic 4
    I thought David Ruffin was about "MWWE" or "Feelin' Good" period 69ish? could be wrong
    Loved the Miracles as it sound from about 67/8 , which I love with Smokey's stuff from that era.
    "I'd cry" by Chuck Jackson wasn't what I was hoping...alas.
    Can't wait for this CD

Tammi's track sounds AMAZING! The production doesn't sound typical of Fuqua/Bristol or any other Motown regulars to me, based upon the snippet. [[By the way, "Lone, Lonely Town" also sounds almost unique for Motown. Does anyone know its Producers & Writers??)

"Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" seems to have a grandness very slightly akin to Brenda's "Every Little Bit Hurts". The Andantes again sound angelic! Strong, yet Tammi sounds in NO WAY overpowered or challenged. I think, like "All I DO...", this song will add yet another dimension of appreciation for those unaware of the greatness of her solo artistry.

I HAVE to also say that there are MANY cuts that I know are going to become favorites of mine real fast! Somebody's truly doing some things real, real right at Universal. BRAVO!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Yes Larry, just done the same. By the sounds of it the vast majority are Sixties tracks [[barring the Lollipops, Paul Williams, Blinky, David Ruffin?). Particularly like the Fantastic Four's Keep On Tryin' Til You Find Love [[Dean-Weatherspoon by the sound of it), the Monitors' Doctor Love [[Sandra on lead) and, of course, the Originals' track [[Hank Dixon on lead), the JJ Barnes and the Joe Stubbs tracks.

It's brilliant to hear there was more from Paul Williams besides Feel Like Givin Up and Once You Had A Heart. Wonder if there's more?
    You think that The Lollipops is a '70s track? I had thought that their contract was NEVER Motown's alone, but was shared with Harry Balk [[just as the contract with The Volumes and Detroit Wheels). Balks tenure with Motown was just the latter half of 1968, and into Spring 1969. Although, The Lollipops moving to Gordy may show that Motown signed them after Balk left. The uneleased Lollipops recordings I saw and heard were recorded in 1969. I didn't see anything from the 1970s.

Views: 2045
    I took the link on the other thread, but still can't find where the listening samples are. Can someone please walk me through that?

ROB Click on the links to mp3 songs and hit play all songs

The Lollipops track was recorded in Sept '69

...thank you for another fabulous collection Paul ...just got home and had to listen to the samples

http://tinyurl.com/3xs4xhz

...on first play ...CD 1's tracks ...2 ...3 ...4 ...5 ...6 ...8 ...9 ...10 ...19 and 20 ...and CD 2's tracks ...8 ...10 ...11 ...14 ...15 ...21 ...22 ...and 23 ...are those that I liked the most .

..the 3 that stood out IMHO were...

1 / 3 - Your Kiss Kiss ...by Marvin Gaye & Oma Heard
    1 / 4 - My Baby Moves Me ...by Brenda Holloway
    1 / 10 - All I Need Is A Chance ...by Robert Dobyne ...WHAT A FIND!!!

Another job ...VERY WELL DONE!!!

Views: 2016
    Yes, thanks, Paul.

But you can't please ALL the people, ALL the time.

I feel that you chose the WRONG version of Eddie Holland's "Twin Brother". The one I have on tape [[and that we considered for the "From The Vaults" LP series) was significantly faster, and more raucus. It is more on the pace of "I'm On The Outside Looking In". Not that the one you picked isn't a good song. Now, I assume we have little chance of that version escaping The Vaults, unless an Eddie Holland anthology is made. There ARE enough cuts for 2 CDs, right???

There was/is a very good reason for using the alternate version which may/may not become obvious a little later down the line. In the case of JJ Barnes The House That Jack Built the reason is that this is a Motown reworking of a track known up until now as Hole In the Wall.
    You are right about there being enough to fill up an anthology.

Can you imagine an Eddie Holland set containing all his demos of the songs that went to other artists.

I equate it to having a cd full of stuff of the quality of "Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me For A Little While)".

Must be a full moon out there tonight cos it's making my mind dream the impossible!

I expect to catch more than my fair share of turbulence for this, but!

Can someone explain the ga-ga phenomena that takes hold when these vault recordings become available? From the few Cellars and all of the Lost & Founds that have been purchased, my opinion is that Quality Control did a great job on 95 percent of what saw the light of day. The items coming from the vaults on the Cellar and L&F packages just don't seem to grab me - maybe about 10 percent of the output. For me these packages are generally like expensive reference books that only get pulled from the shelves for research to enhance knowledge. Part of my problem may be that I have a strong aversion to mono recordings. To me the quality of these finds does not rival the legacy of the known recordings.

I'll be throwing rocks down from the cross where I am surely to be nailed.

Why not just pray for a U.K. Eddie Holland Anthology containing Motown 604 + UA singles+ Motown non-lp single sides and lots of previously unreleased tracks ?

Views: 1977
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    There was/is a VERY GOOD REASON for using the alternate version which may/may not become obvious a little later down the line. In the case of JJ Barnes The House That Jack Built the reason is that this is a Motown reworking of a track known up until now as Hole In the Wall.
    You are right about there being enough to fill up an anthology.
    I'm taking this to imply [[and almost guarantee) that the versions we want WILL be released in the not too distant future. So, I now rest a little easier. Thank you, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post

Can someone explain the ga-ga phenomena that takes hold when these vault recordings become available? From the few Cellars and all of the Lost & Founds that have been purchased, my opinion is that Quality Control did a great job on 95 percent of what saw the light of day. The items coming from the vaults on the Cellar and L&F packages just don't seem to grab me - maybe about 10 percent of the output. For me these packages are generally like expensive reference books that only get pulled from the shelves for research to enhance knowledge. Part of my problem may be that I have a strong aversion to mono recordings. To me the quality of these finds does not rival the legacy of the known recordings.

It's different strokes for different folks. I love the COM series and most of what's been released on the L&F series. The poorest of the latter was the Supremes set as I could hear the bottom of the barrel being scraped.

Views: 1970

I don't agree with your taste. Quality Control had a job to do [[get the best sellers released). My taste [[and that of a lot of other Motown fans) often is different from that of the masses. But, I love The Motown Sound so much, that getting gems like "Crying In The Night" - Monitors, "A Woman Won't Do Right"-Shorty Long, "Tears, Nobody and A Smile"-Serenaders, "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" -Versatones, "Until You Came Along"-Carolyn Crawford, "Suspicion"-Originals, "All I Do"-Tammi Terrell, etc. would be worth it, EVEN if I only liked 10% of the songs. But, I love The Motown sound so much, that even if 50% of what is released on these CDs is not quite as good as Motown's hits, they aren't much lower in quality, so , I still enjoy hearing them. After all, there are no people making 1964 recordings any more. So, this is my chance to hear new music I like. NO ONE is making vocal recordings now that I like to hear. Jazz is the only current medium where new music is made that I enjoy hearing. So, if they release previously unreleased 1946-69 music of the style I like at a decent quality level, I'm very happy. Can you tell me that "Love Woke Me Up This Morning" by Brenda Holloway isn't as good as 95% of what was released on her? "I Should Have Known Better"- Marvelettes? "A Tear From A Woman's Eye"-Temptations? "Any Girl In Love"-Kim Weston. Those are absolute gems, and certainly better than more than half [[if not 2/3) the cuts released on those artists.

You DEFINITELY have a problem liking these CDs if you only like stereo.

In my case, I got into the Motown Sound hearing the hits...especially the beat..
    "Uptight" and "Love is like an itching" grabbed my attention...I thought..wow these
    songs have such a STRONG beat..I had been into James Brown and Wilson Pickett [[I
    liked the screaming) before..

I then noticed that that type of music had a certain style that set it apart in general
    from other labels such as Stax or Atlantic...So I thought ok what other songs does this
    company make?...I ended up playing catch up and buying the Motown songs I had missed..along with the ones that came out..[[this was in late 1966)...that I got into
    popular music and Motown..

I basically have all the classic Motown records [[originals)...I thought well that is it..

Then the L&Fs and the Cellarfuls started coming out..so it is like buying Motown records all over again...I just LOVE that sound!...In my opinion..the Cellarfuls and L&Fs material

98% would have made good album cuts in the 60s..and some of it equal to the classics
    2% maybe I can see why it stayed in the vaults...Hats off to Paul Nixon and all who were involved in these projects..

A friend of mine says All that Motown stuff sounds alike..its boring..I said I like to hear
    different combinations of the same sound..I like House Music also, in a way it sounds alike but it dosen't..

Nabob,

You are incorrectly assuming that we are saying that CFOM and L&F tracks are BETTER than the cuts chosed by Quality Control, who in the main, picked the best, commercial discs to issue.
    But, if you liked a book by a favourite Author, would you not want to read ALL his/her output than continually read the same book over and over again. How would you know what you were missing?

I've purchased a lot of the collections providing tracks from the vault. The experience is that very few of the tracks have made their way into regular rotation. I am not saying that this is not good music. I'm just saying that very little of it makes me want to do something unnecessary. The comment was mostly directed toward being able to understand the fascination generated when unheard music becomes available.

Surely all the records that Quality Control issued was "unheard music" once upon a time?
    It just got somebody's vote at the expense of other tunes....like those on CFOM , L&F etc

Remember that because of Bille-Jean Brown & the QC 'Jimmy Mack' lay in the vaults for 3 yrs!!!! As I said it's different strokes for different folks - in other words personal opinion/choice.

It's easy to appreciate both sides of this debate [[and easy to see that I'm turning into an old fart, as I think that the not-released Motown stuff exceeds the quality of most of today's music by millions of miles). One earlier Cellar cut could easily have been a big hit, I believe: You've Got to Pay the Price, with the Supremes' version of lyrics tossed on top of the Al Kent song. Or maybe it's just because I adore the Al Kent song. And love Jean Terrell. And appreciate that you can hear the back-up vocals. It's complicated!