[REMOVE ADS]

Dennis Edwards on "TCB" , stepping into Ruffin's Shoes, and MIss Ross!

revvy Guest
    Thanks for that upload. Dennis is certainly one of the greatest singers ever. His voice is so masculine, soulful and has that gruff edge that I just love. Levi Stubbs had a similar sound. I loved Dennis the very first time I saw him...and that was TCB! He came from the Contours [[yes, the "Do You Love Me?" Contours). There is some footage of him singing with them also on youtube, I believe. He was very young in that clip!

here, he talks about replacing his idol/friend,David Ruffin..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYqis...feature=fvwrel

Dennis has one of soul music's awesome voices, and is a terrific stage performer, and his voice has been heard on many of the Tempts' chart hits in the UK. And guess what? Most Brits, even many who are listeners/collectors/radio DJs etc, will never have heard of him!

I call that "Jean Terrell Syndrome";
    Jean, Dennis and the singer [[don't know his) who took Smokey's spot in The Miracles [["Love Machine", Etc) all found themselves in the same boat as the decades passed..maybe "UnSung" should do a 'replacement lead singer syndrome" episode..

Replacing a legend is maybe the hardest thing to do in show business,although some make thier own name in a group[dennis edwards]is the best example,folks get used to seeing or hearing a certain artist and that's it for many folks..while many of us kids in d.c.knew dennis from the[contours]we felt he didn't belong in the temps at the start and poor[billy griffin]who was this pretender tryin to be smokey? We were rough on those guys back then haaaaaaa,but ain't it funny how time changes perception -try imagining[cloud nine]without dennis or[if you're ever in the neighborhood]without billy on lead.

Following on from my earlier comment, those Brits I referred to would probably be unable to name ANY of the Temptations. Period. Indeed I reckon they are more likely to have heard of Jimmy Ruffin rather than brother David, simply because of his run of UK hits late 60s/early 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    following on from my earlier comment, those brits i referred to would probably be unable to name any of the temptations. Period. Indeed i reckon they are more likely to have heard of jimmy ruffin rather than brother david, simply because of his run of uk hits late 60s/early 70s.
    soulwally,not so strange many folks only care about the singing and think nothing of the singers,i've known folks who would buy a record and as soon as it's no longer played on the radio they would toss it...into the trash,some folks only want the singing!

Jean actually did an admirable job of replacing Diana although she isn't remembered by name much either. But she did very well until the politics and infighting and changing sounds and times sidelined the group.

I was watching the Contours video of 'Do You love Me' on the Motown DVD just the other night. Dennis Edwards is stuck there at the back - yet even with the relative anonymity he catches your attention in the same way that Diana does. A real star in waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I was watching the Contours video of 'Do You love Me' on the Motown DVD just the other night. Dennis Edwards is stuck there at the back - yet even with the relative anonymity he catches your attention in the same way that Diana does. A real star in waiting...