[REMOVE ADS]

The Smokey Robinson Show: 1970

Over the years, I have seen bits and pieces of this show [[mainly, the Supremes performance of "Up the Ladder" and their duet with Smokey on "Someday").

Am curious to know: why was it titled "The Smokey Robinson Show" when he was still with the Miracles? It's hard to believe this was used as a "launching pad" for his solo career, when he actually didn't leave the group until 2 years later. And why did only some of the Miracles perform? Claudette wasn't there, Pete wasn't there, Marv wasn't there.....or at least on camera.....

by this time Smokey was the STAR.Wasn't this jus a special I kinda forget it...I keep thinkin about the show he hosted in the 80's.

Yes this was a one hour special and indeed it was the show intended to break Smokey out of the Miracles. On two occasions, the most recent earlier in 1970, he said he wanted to come off the road, concentrate on his family and the business side of Motown.

The problem with this special, unlike the ones on the Supremes and Temptations, is that it showed no versatility on Smokey's part. There were no comedic skits, just awkward and corny short dialogue after each act sang and then did a song with Smokey himself. Additionally, it was recorded much earlier than it aired. By the time it was broadcast, the Supremes were hot with Stoned Love, Stevie with Heaven Help Us All and the Miracles with Tears Of A Clown, but none were performed on the special.

Tears had been released in the UK and became a huge hit. Because recordings with Smokey and the Miracles had dried up because of Smokey's intention to leave, Motown US released the single here and it was equally huge. This resulted in Smokey signing on for two more years to take advantage of the group's sudden resurgence. In truth, the Miracles were a big R&B act, but hit and miss with pop audiences. Their fees shot up after the success of Tears.

It has been speculated that Smokey announcing his retirement was simply a ploy to increase demand. Others say when he did become involved with the business end of Motown he did little more than sign checks. In any event, again in the 70's he remained largely a hit and miss artist. Only one lp, Quiet Storm, did well and a couple of singles made the Pop Top 30.

Smokey didn't break out until 1979 with the release of Where There's Smoke and the single Cruisin.' His sales were greater in the early and mid 80s than they had ever been. Meanwhile the Miracles, with Billy Griffin, enjoyed a greater success until the late 70s when they left Motown and then disbanded

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Over the years, I have seen bits and pieces of this show [[mainly, the Supremes performance of "Up the Ladder" and their duet with Smokey on "Someday").

Am curious to know: why was it titled "The Smokey Robinson Show" when he was still with the Miracles? It's hard to believe this was used as a "launching pad" for his solo career, when he actually didn't leave the group until 2 years later. And why did only some of the Miracles perform? Claudette wasn't there, Pete wasn't there, Marv wasn't there.....or at least on camera.....
    This special was not intended to launch Smokey anywhere. When he did decide to "retire" it was just long enough for him to ditch his group The Miracles in 1972 and have it not cause hard feelings among the fans and general public. Smokey sat out roughly a year after his big "farewell" and was back in business singing, recording and performing in 1973! So much for wanting to focus on his job as Vice President of Motown and his family!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Pete hurt his leg playing sports and couldn't participate. I wouldn't have expected Claudette to perform, as she had long since ceased being an on-stage member of the group. Although I suppose they could have seated her in the audience, like she wason some episodes of Smokey's 80s series THE MOTOWN REVUE.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This special was not intended to launch Smokey anywhere. When he did decide to "retire" it was just long enough for him to ditch his group The Miracles in 1972 and have it not cause hard feelings among the fans and general public. Smokey sat out roughly a year after his big "farewell" and was back in business singing, recording and performing in 1973! So much for wanting to focus on his job as Vice President of Motown and his family!
    Smokey Robinson had fully intended to retire from performing and spend more time with his family when he left The Miracles. However, after a short time at home, he found that he still had the itch to perform. So with his wife Claudette's suggestion, he started recording and performing as a solo act in 1973.

It's the filmed "last concert" of The Miracles I'm really wanting to see from start to finish - where Claudette did rejoin the group and sing. I'm not certain, but that may have been the filmed hand-off to Billy as well, and vaugely remember seing some excerpts on the "Motown on Showtime" special where Claudette, Bobby, Pete, Ron, Smokey, Billy and Marv are all there.