[REMOVE ADS]

alanbill1074 Guest

Jermaine Jackson Motown CDs

Possibly asked before but it is probably a simple question for someone to answer. Have any of Jermaine's Motown albums been issued on CD, "Let's Get Serious" aside? I decided to try and pick them up but aside from some imports from Estonia, I can't see any evidence of them. I am assuming these Eastern European releases are bootlegs?

Also I notice a "Greatest Hits And Rare Classics" was issued. Would this be a good introduction as his 70s material is pretty unknown to me.

I think they've all been issued on CD, but none are readily available now so you'll need deep pockets to pick them up.

1972 - Jermaine
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jermaine-Jac...254452&sr=1-27

1973 - Come Into My Life
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Come-Into-Li...2654823&sr=1-1
    1976 - My Name is Jermaine

1977 - Feel the Fire
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feel-Fire-Je...654630&sr=1-21

1978 - Frontiers
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frontiers-Je...654588&sr=1-16

1980 - Jermaine
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jermaine-80-...655509&sr=1-13

1981 - I Like Your Style
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Like-Your-St...2655534&sr=1-1

I'm not familiar enough with his music to answer the second question.

Btw, where do you see these imports from Estonia?

Not all of his Motown CDs have been issued on CD as far as I can tell. This is a great opportunity for Hip-O or Motown to reissue his albums in a box or something.

His 1972 self-titled album came out on CD, but only as a Japanese import.

For the cds I linked above, Amazon lists the label as "Motown" for all except the 1972 Jermain, where the label is given as "Pid" [[whatever that is). But as Johnny wrote above, that one has been issued by Universal in Japan:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jermaine-Jac...657457&sr=1-30

I'd also be interested in a box set of his Motown LPs, even just a "straight" reissue of these out-of-print cds without any bonus tracks. But I wouldn't want a Jermaine box to delay some other boxes I'd rather see, like Jr Walker.

All of these CDs seem to be bootlegs. One evidence: The "Jermaine 80" back cover contains a picture from the "You said"-sessions from 1992. Iīve seen these CDs on ebay from a seller in Estonia and Iīm pretty sure theyīre a waste of money, since they can only be vinyl rips. The only legitimate reissues have been "Letīs get serious" and the "Jermaine" from 1972 in Japan. Itīs a good idea to finally release them since several of his 80s album have been rereleased by Funkytowngrooves. Either they do it or Universal plans to do it by themselves. But FTG or BBR would be ideal since they release even the obscure 70s and 80s soul.

They could do a box the same way they did the DeBarge album collection, or the Eddie Kendricks and Gladys Knight & The Pips collections. The simplest way I can see is to do a box like Warner does with many of it's artists these days.

I'd also like to see a Switch box.

Quote Originally Posted by soulstevie View Post
    All of these CDs seem to be bootlegs. One evidence: The "Jermaine 80" back cover contains a picture from the "You said"-sessions from 1992. Iīve seen these CDs on ebay from a seller in Estonia and Iīm pretty sure theyīre a waste of money, since they can only be vinyl rips. The only legitimate reissues have been "Letīs get serious" and the "Jermaine" from 1972 in Japan. Itīs a good idea to finally release them since several of his 80s album have been rereleased by Funkytowngrooves. Either they do it or Universal plans to do it by themselves. But FTG or BBR would be ideal since they release even the obscure 70s and 80s soul.
    Wow Amazon should be much more careful about this, especially listing the label as Motown. I thought they were legit, though no way I would pay anything near those prices.

Well I donīt know what Amazon can do about it. These CDs are being sold by an outside seller and I assume that the seller provides the information. It might be that the seller doesnīt know these CDs are fake. He or she sees the Motown logo and gives this information.

It's easy to fake product, especially as something as an import. And, the sound of those CDs should tell the tale of if they are legit.

Well I'm convinced by Soulstevie that they aren't legit now. Fortunately I don't have any of those. I'm glad now that they were listed at high prices on Amazon, else I might have gone for them. If I had seen them on Ebay listed from Estonia, well that's a tipoff that something's not right.

I know there have been counterfeits on Amazon offered by third-party sellers. The Beatles Stereo Box Set once had marketplace sellers offering the box at half price or less, delivered from China - clearly fakes. Those offers disappeared later, I'll bet EMI and some buyers complained to Amazon.

Amazon should pull these listings, as they're clearly meant to deceive the buyer into buying counterfeit products.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-11-2012 at 11:49 PM.

For the older, "Detroit-era" Motown stuff, I sometimes check on DFTMC to see if an LP has been issued as a CD [[by just looking up a song from that LP and seeing which cds it has appeared on). But that doesn't work for post-1972 titles, like most of these from Jermaine. Does anyone know a good way to check that?

alanbill1074 Guest
    Thank you everyone for your responses. It does appear he's an artist that hasn't had his catalogue explored on the CD format yet, at least in Motown terms.

Get Greatest Hits And Rare Classics and Big Brother Jermaine - The Jermaine Jackson Collection. This will make a nice introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Get Greatest Hits And Rare Classics and Big Brother Jermaine - The Jermaine Jackson Collection. This will make a nice introduction to his Motown albums. .
    I agree. I never really enjoyed any of his Motown albums completely. I couldn't enjoy them from start to finish. For me, Greatest Hits...works just fine.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-12-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Funkytowngrooves have released three of his albums recently with bonus tracks! Dynamite [[w/the Michael duet) is next.

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/

Also two albums each so far by Rebbie and La Toya.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I agree. I never really enjoyed any of his Motown albums completely. I couldn't enjoy them from start to finish. For me, Greatest Hits...works just fine.
    Just shows that we all have different tastes. I think, at least his Motown albums, are of high quality all the way through, and I can listen to them from start to finish.