[REMOVE ADS]

Now the Bitter Now the Sweet, The Supremes

Now the Bitter Now the Sweet from the Floy Joy album is another one of those rare Supremes' tracks recorded I assume in Detroit as one of the last projects before Motown moved to Los Angeles. Does anyone know if the group recorded the track together, or did Jean record her vocals seperately from Mary and Cindy, and the Andantes are heard behind them. I particularly like the interwoven added vocals of Mary and Cindy repeating the bitter and sweet lines seperately, that technique was also used on the groups track "Over and Over" Smokey at the helm again the genius did the group well, it was Cindy's last project with the group for a few years too sadly.

I really like Now The Bitter,Now The Sweet,for the same reason Franjoy,Mary Cindy and Jean sound great,Mary really is the SEXY one on this track lol
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Now the Bitter Now the Sweet from the Floy Joy album is another one of those rare Supremes' tracks recorded I assume in Detroit as one of the last projects before Motown moved to Los Angeles. Does anyone know if the group recorded the track together, or did Jean record her vocals seperately from Mary and Cindy, and the Andantes are heard behind them. I particularly like the interwoven added vocals of Mary and Cindy repeating the bitter and sweet lines seperately, that technique was also used on the groups track "Over and Over" Smokey at the helm again the genius did the group well, it was Cindy's last project with the group for a few years too sadly.
    I am not sure of any of the details of the recording. I do feel that the song was very sophisticated and ahead of it's time. It was a great song that is still very listenable.

Mary does sound especially sexy on Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet. Smokey really knew what he was doing in producing the ladies.

I wonder when that song was written because Smokey Robinson allegedly co-wrote it with his childhood friend Cecil Franklin. I also wonder if there's an edited version that could have been a single?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I wonder when that song was written because Smokey Robinson allegedly co-wrote it with his childhood friend Cecil Franklin. I also wonder if there's an edited version that could have been a single?
    When was ntbnts written is it a vault track I assume it was written esp for this project. JMC did some fabulous work during the 70-72 period, probably the best of all the post Ross groups.

Thanks a million Marv. for posting this fine collage of 70's Supremes photo video inserts, it is in synch perfectly with the song. As the ending line says better do as best you can.
    I wish Cindy had stayed in the group a little longer, we may have gotten to hear the song on stage.

I love this song. Always thought it would have made a great single. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

Thanks for posting about this track. I loved the LP 'Right On' and then 'new ways but love stays', but for some reason, I really, really didn't like the LP 'Floy Joy'. I never knew why - although one reason was because it was so very short.

For me, this was a major turning point. I began to 'go off' the Supremes, and generally Motown at this time. I appreciate that at the time I was still growing up, and my music tastes were beginning to evolve.

It's only now that I can look back, and think - the Supremes with Jean, Mary and Cindy - ought to have been a far, far more successful trio, with more releases, and I can listen to these tracks with admiration and enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Thanks a million Marv. for posting this fine collage of 70's Supremes photo video inserts, it is in synch perfectly with the song. As the ending line says better do as best you can.
    I wish Cindy had stayed in the group a little longer, we may have gotten to hear the song on stage.
    You're welcome Fran. This song was simply brilliant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    Thanks for posting about this track. I loved the LP 'Right On' and then 'new ways but love stays', but for some reason, I really, really didn't like the LP 'Floy Joy'. I never knew why - although one reason was because it was so very short.

For me, this was a major turning point. I began to 'go off' the Supremes, and generally Motown at this time. I appreciate that at the time I was still growing up, and my music tastes were beginning to evolve.

It's only now that I can look back, and think - the Supremes with Jean, Mary and Cindy - ought to have been a far, far more successful trio, with more releases, and I can listen to these tracks with admiration and enjoyment.
    Glad you enjoy the Supremes, but there is a Gordy person who was responsible for the success of the Supremes with it s lack of promotion, but Floy Joy was shorter than the right on and new ways and touch for that matter but the gem on side 2 track one almost made up for its short comings.