[REMOVE ADS]

honest man Guest

Will there be another cellarful of motown 4

Hello i was listening to a motown radio show last week,the presenter said there will be a COM 4 Released by Xmas, anyone know anything, fingers crossed. cheers.

There already was a cellarful 4 ... it came out a few years ago.

honest man Guest
    ok vol 5 then ,i thought so.cheers

No, definitely not. Rumour has it that there will be no more

If I may quote the Walt Disney Corp. "A Wish Is A Dream Your Heart Makes", so I will keep dreaming.

No Room for CFOM 5......UK Motown are surely working on a new Isley Bros compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    No Room for CFOM 5......UK Motown are surely working on a new Isley Bros compilation.
    Don't you mean a new DRATS/Ross multi disc collection of 'Baby Love'

Wouldn't mind another Baby Love as a bonus track...............on the Complete Originals albums set

You know what - never say never - maybe you should just write in and ask for volume 5 - it might just do the trick

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    You know what - never say never - maybe you should just write in and ask for volume 5 - it might just do the trick
    Paul - Who do we FANS need to write to get COM5 off the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post

Paul,
    Please supply an address that will be relevant to prompt such a release. In common with most companies these days, it is hard to contact anybody directly. Nobody appears to want to communicate with customers....unless of course they want to sell you something and it's in THEIR interest.

honest man Guest
    Paul i am writing in,WILL THERE BE VOLUME 5,please.......................................... .................................................. .......................

Paul, please tell us who we should write to for a volume 5! [[Bump!)

Use this one:

ume@umusic.com

It does not go directly to me but Motown and Select-related comments, suggestions and questions do get routed to me.

In the past I have used classic.motown@umusic.com but after a recent server switch it's been dormant.

I've e-mailed UME.....

If I get a reply I'll post the answer

Is there still enough good material left in the vaults? And is the Motown market large
    enough to still to warrant a release? There are now probably 2 generations of people
    to whom Motown is irrelevant and may not even know or care about it--those under a
    certain age. I would buy it of course...

Well, any search on sites such as Amazon will reveal the most obscure releases on many labels, with an extremely limited appeal. I'm sure Motown has enough interest . What's left in the vaults...who knows?

I think we have been spoiled with the releases we have had over the past 12 months, Shorty Long, Marvelettes Vol 2, Spinners, and the Supremes / Ross, with Mary Wells Marvin Gaye and Martha's 50th coming we can't really moan, I love the Cellarful series and will buy whatever is released, Harry. Andy, George, Keith Hughes, Paul Nixon have done us proud , if it was left to Universal alone we'd have Motown Anthems [[ this years same old hits package), but if this sells and keeps interest in Motown alive I'm all for it, if it hadn't of been for Diana Ross's Greatest Hits I had one Christmas there may have been one less member on this forum, everyone's interest must start somewhere.

With the cellarful series we also get some tracks that wouldn't otherwise normally see a release on Hip-O, for example tracks by artists who never had an LP release and in some cases made recordings but never saw *any* official release. We've seen a lot of stuff from the vaults for the more "major" artists, but I guess there's still something good there from the less well-known ones. I hope so, anyway!

I've also emailed UME, let's see...
    Last edited by calvin; 11-17-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Is there still enough good material left in the vaults? And is the Motown market large
    enough to still to warrant a release? There are now probably 2 generations of people
    to whom Motown is irrelevant and may not even know or care about it--those under a
    Have em' exposed to some oldies radio for at least an hour...if they are not moved by the likes of "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugarpie Honeybunch)", "Get Ready", "Baby Love", as well as "Good Lovin'", "Respect" and "Quarter To Three", surely, they must be made of stone.

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Thank for making me feel as fossil with the two generations bit, but you are right on the money. Those of us that were around the first time around when we were in our 19-35 prime consumer demographic, still appreciated the sixties stuff, and the 80's stuff, which had a lot in common with the 60's material, "Walking On Sunshine, Church Of The Poisioned Mind, Maneater, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, etc.a lot, or most of it was pretty good. The 19-35 year olds of today are listing to a gentleman whose last name is the color of my eyes, do a remake of a 90's song, which was the remake of an 80's song, which will generate more income than the previous two versions combined.........in a week, but sounded from afar like a Hare Krishna Chant gone amok. I would by Vol. 5 sight unseen as well.

Hey guys your suport is really welcome, I was thinking the other day that it's the tenth anniversary of the first cellarful Of Motown 2 CD set - a groundbreaking relelase that was amongst the first to see the release of many, many Motown vaulted releases. Since that time I guess we need to be grateful that we have managed to release over two hundred forgotten Motown tracks. Harry and the guys over at Motown Select have done a seriously grand job in bringing us some of the greatest ever Motown packages the world has ever seen. Let us hope the future is just as rich.

Paul,
    I've informed UME of their 'position' in terms of licencees of Motown, compared to others [[i.e. the best ), letting them know our appreciation for existing products.
    As you say let's hope for more.

If the statement is true "There will be no more" sounds very dumb on the part of Universal... After all, both George and Andy have told us there's a ton of unreleased tracks that we all need to hear!

honest man Guest
    I Really hope that there will be more, would love to hear the cleaned up versions of the unreleased motown songs from you tube[someone posted a few months ago]The touch of venus-Marvin gaye etc, also those unissued Ivy joe Hunter songs from same links,please................, cheers.

Hopefully this wonderful series would continue until every track in the vaults was put out, so if there happens to be a "Cellarfull Vol 999" absolutely wonderful!!!!!

I got a response to my email today. "No current plans", but it doesn't sound like it has been ruled out.

Hi Calvin,
    Thanks for reaching out. There are no current plans for another “Cellarful” but I will be sure to share your thoughts with the decision makers.
    Thanks again,
    -Select Team

honest man Guest
    Maybe vol 5 in 2013,please....................................

Where Big Hits and Rare Classics , as well as Motown For Conisieurs were nice collections I remember when the first volume came out, I could not stop playing it, it was mind boggling that this material never made it out of the gate. If Volume 5 was only available to be downloaded, I would happily make it my first downloaded music, though I would prefer the current format.

Well

I didn't receive any reply from my e-mail..............seems compliments and praise are taken for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    Thank for making me feel as fossil with the two generations bit, but you are right on the money. Those of us that were around the first time around when we were in our 19-35 prime consumer demographic, still appreciated the sixties stuff, and the 80's stuff, which had a lot in common with the 60's material, "Walking On Sunshine, Church Of The Poisioned Mind, Maneater, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, etc.a lot, or most of it was pretty good. The 19-35 year olds of today are listing to a gentleman whose last name is the color of my eyes, do a remake of a 90's song, which was the remake of an 80's song, which will generate more income than the previous two versions combined.........in a week, but sounded from afar like a Hare Krishna Chant gone amok. I would by Vol. 5 sight unseen as well.
    Oi, don't generalise! For a start, I'm [[still) in that "19-35" demographic, and I've dedicated years to paying back my love for Motown by writing my never-ending Motown Junkies blog, despite being too young to remember a time when Marvin Gaye was alive.

Secondly, my parents grew up in Seventies Europe, and as far as they and their classmates were concerned, Sixties Motown might as well have been Cole Porter for all the relevance it had for young people listening to Philly soul, prog rock and punk - if it's not current, most people won't be as interested, and that's no more true today than it was in 1981.

But if it's great, many young people will make the effort to seek it out. I know several educated, musically-literate teenagers who've spent plenty of time and money on brilliant old records, or "new" records from Sixties acts. The issue isn't getting them to pay, or getting them to be interested, it's making it easy for them to give you their cash.

Anyway, yes, I'd happily pre-order a Volume 5 right now.

No reply from UME re CFOM

A response from radionixon, I thought this was a good day so far and it has been, but now.............. I am absolutely over the moon. In all seriousness nixon, if I may call you that, actually I just did, I am shocked that you are the age that you are. Kudos to your folks for exposing you to a wide range of music. My daughters favorite song when she was six was the then recently released, previously unreleased "Trapped" by Brenda Holloway, produced by Frank Wilson. She did not know it was previously unreleased, did not know that Brenda Holloway was one of my favorite Motown singers, if she asked me what else did Brenda Holloway do, I would mention Every Little Bit Hurts, which in 2004, she probably would not have heard on the radio.

My point being, regarding the music that we love the first Hitsville box set pretty much covered the songs that you hear on the radio, soundtracks to movies, background music in television shows, or commercials, relative to Motown music that one hears over and over again. What was/is so wonderful about CFOM, is that we all can discover a new taste if you will for our jaded palletes. After all, how many times can one chow down on Where Did Our Go?