[REMOVE ADS]

Happy Landing a 1962 Miracles Treasure

on the Motown Complete Singles Set 1962, I rediscovered a Treasure called "Happy Landing" a b side from the Miracles single "You Really Got a Hold on Me". It says that "Happy Landing" an uptempo dance track was issued as the single, but when DJ's got the single they turned it over and Yrgahom. became the new a side. "Happy Landing" should have been an a single exclusively, that is a dance record that would have charted complete with Smokey's fine lead vocals including Claudette's very recognizable vocals. Motown was in its infancy and it dance records were making a real scene and disc 10 in which "Happy Landing" is heard a song i remember from my camp days in the early 60's had lots of company from the Supremes Let me go the right way, Marvin Gaye's "Hitch Hike" & "Shake Shake Sherry" the Contours, and an unknown female group called LaBrenda Bien & The Beijiens. The Camel Walk, and Little Stevie's "Contract on Love" and the Vells posing as the early Vandellas without Martha on Youll never find a love so true. dance on Motown we loved ya..

It must have been a popular tune because the Miracles sing it on their first, very early, live album "On Stage." I've always loved the song.

In many ways, it has the same theme and surprise ending as "You Beat Me to the Punch," which of course was also written by Smokey.

when I bought the 45 it was because of "Happy Landing" being first on the radio & the charts BEFORE YRGAHOM was "discovered".

I like the song as well. It has some gospel feeling [[chord progressions, rhythm thanks to Marv Tarplin). The early Miracles had some great B-sides like Happy Landing, Fork In the Road, Baby Don't You Go, You're So Fine and Sweet, etc. I also like the Temptations' driving cover version of this tune which was left off of Temptations Sing Smokey, I think. Anyway, it can be found on their Lost & Found CD.

I'm humming that classic as i type this,one of the coolest motown classics ever!!!

Like Kamasu_Jr, I loved a lot of the Miracles B-sides [["Happy Landing", "Who's Loving You", "Would I Love You", "All That's Good", "A Fork In The Road", "Choosy Beggar", "You Must Be Love", "Give Her Up", etc.). I also like the version of "Happy Landing" [[with Eddie Kendricks singing lead) on Lost and Found: You've Got To Earn It [[1962-1968).
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 11-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    Like Kamasu_Jr, I loved a lot of the Miracles B-sides [["Happy Landing", "Who's Loving You", "Would I Love You", "All That's Good", "A Fork In The Road", "Choosy Beggar", "You Must Be Love", "Give Her Up", etc.)...
    Another Miracles B-side that I love is "Swept For You Baby".

Maybe next year we can get a Miracles Singles Collection similar to those on The Supremes and The Temptations, from last year, and the upcoming Vandellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I like the song as well. It has some gospel feeling [[chord progressions, rhythm thanks to Marv Tarplin). The early Miracles had some great B-sides like Happy Landing, Fork In the Road, Baby Don't You Go, You're So Fine and Sweet, etc. I also like the Temptations' driving cover version of this tune which was left off of Temptations Sing Smokey, I think. Anyway, it can be found on their Lost & Found CD.
    The Tempts version was truly "High Test".

johnjeb, you are on the money regarding the Miracles set, the reason being that Mr. Robinson never wrote a bad song in his life. Correction, most every song he wrote was.............baaaaadd!!!!

yes, Happy Landing was a fabulous track and it should have gotten a single status, another great a track which only got to #33 by the group was called "I Got to DAnce to Keep From Crying" r&b Motown at its best is that track on the Miracles Mickey"s Monkey LP I hope they can reissue that on on CD

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Another Miracles B-side that I love is "Swept For You Baby".

Maybe next year we can get a Miracles Singles Collection similar to those on The Supremes and The Temptations, from last year, and the upcoming Vandellas.
    God, I hope so! I'm lighting a candle for that one. The Sylvers did a version of Swept for You Baby that I'm nuts about. I like their cover better than Smokey's original.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    yes, Happy Landing was a fabulous track and it should have gotten a single status, another great a track which only got to #33 by the group was called "I Got to DAnce to Keep From Crying" r&b Motown at its best is that track on the Miracles Mickey"s Monkey LP I hope they can reissue that on on CD
    I love that track, too! In addition to the "Mickey's Money" LP, it was also on "16 Original Big Hits Vol. 2," the one issue of that series which was on Tamla [[Tamla 256). That was available on CD for a time, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to find nowadays.

I have I gotta dance on the 1963 Motown complete singles, but I would like to check out the Mickey's Monkey track listing as they were on fire in 1962- and 1963