[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yes, though when Phillip and Donny are singing lead, Freda and Scherrie are doing background vocals!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Blue-I do believe I read something awhile ago that solved the whole John Kydd mystery--I believe he was/is a DJ and it explained about Jayne --cant remember it all though. I think she was some singer hangin around or something. I dont believe she was ever a bluebelle. Only Sundray was briefly after Cindy left.
    Yes, I have only ever heard of Sundray being a BlueBell replacing Cindy for a while [[touring only, no recordings, much like she did with The Three Degrees) not anybody else. Jayne made some solo records. However I just found an old thread by producer Rick Gianatos, which explains it all:
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1167940004
    Here's the relevant post:
    Jayne Edwards did a nice version for me which I made the B-Side of her Profile hit “I Got It.” The additional “verse” referred to above was actually Jayne’s creative ad libs in the vamp. She was a helluva soul singer. Unfortunately, I have lost touch with her. She was out in LA for all our recordings and touring, but a few years back moved back to Chicago.

Jayne was a member of Chicago girl group The Starlets. They were asked by a producer to record for him prior to their current record contract expiring. They recorded “I Sold my Heart to the Junkman.” The producer got antsy and put it out after getting such strong positive feedback. Since The Starlets were still tied up, he released it as The Bluebells [not Bluebelles]. When the song climbed the charts, he found Pattie Labelle and company to tour. He re-released THE SAME recording as Pattie Labelle & The Bluebelles [now with the extra “e”]. The B side on the original and the re-release was “Itty Bitty Twist,” cowritten by Jayne under her real last name, “Hall.”

Pattie eventually re-recorded “Junkman” for the album.

P.S. On a side note, I wonder which singer holds the record for being in the most girl groups, possibly Sundray:
    Ordettes, BlueBelles [[replacing Cindy), Third Generation [[Stevie's first backing group) Three Degrees, Ernie Terrell & The Heavyweights [[replacing Jean), FLOS [[replacing Jean), also was a "Marvelette" for Gladys Horton.

I have discovered two B/V credits by Freddi[[e) Pool[[e)!

FREDDIE
    Aalon - Cream City [[77)
    Giants - Giants [[78)

Cream City? Gross ...

Thanks Luke and Mark for the info. Is John Kydd still around?
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/3...tml?1055678888
    Apparently, this topic came up many years ago here.
    Last edited by blueskies; 11-10-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    Yes, I have only ever heard of Sundray being a BlueBell replacing Cindy for a while [[touring only, no recordings, much like she did with The Three Degrees) not anybody else. Jayne made some solo records. However I just found an old thread by producer Rick Gianatos, which explains it all:
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1167940004
    Here's the relevant post:
    Jayne Edwards did a nice version for me which I made the B-Side of her Profile hit “I Got It.” The additional “verse” referred to above was actually Jayne’s creative ad libs in the vamp. She was a helluva soul singer. Unfortunately, I have lost touch with her. She was out in LA for all our recordings and touring, but a few years back moved back to Chicago.

Jayne was a member of Chicago girl group The Starlets. They were asked by a producer to record for him prior to their current record contract expiring. They recorded “I Sold my Heart to the Junkman.” The producer got antsy and put it out after getting such strong positive feedback. Since The Starlets were still tied up, he released it as The Bluebells [not Bluebelles]. When the song climbed the charts, he found Pattie Labelle and company to tour. He re-released THE SAME recording as Pattie Labelle & The Bluebelles [now with the extra “e”]. The B side on the original and the re-release was “Itty Bitty Twist,” cowritten by Jayne under her real last name, “Hall.”

Pattie eventually re-recorded “Junkman” for the album.

P.S. On a side note, I wonder which singer holds the record for being in the most girl groups, possibly Sundray:
    Ordettes, BlueBelles [[replacing Cindy), Third Generation [[Stevie's first backing group) Three Degrees, Ernie Terrell & The Heavyweights [[replacing Jean), FLOS [[replacing Jean), also was a "Marvelette" for Gladys Horton.
    Mark, regarding Jayne Edwards and the Starlettes you have most of the story right. However, it was not because of the Starlets being tied up as the reason that prevented them from touring in the support of the single. It was because one of the girls in the Starlets killed her husband. That is what prevented them from touring making an opening for Patti & the Bluebelles.

OMG I never knew that story! - was it in Patti's book?

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    OMG I never knew that story! - was it in Patti's book?
    Nona Hendryx spoke about it in an inteview some time back.