[REMOVE ADS]

Backing Vocals by The Supremes

Somebody posted this debate before but only one or two people commented, I think because the title was ambiguous. However their contributions to Mary Wells songs [[I think they backed her more than any other artist) has raised interest which is extending beyond those for Mary, so I am resurrecting it, in the hope that knowledge and ears better than mine can contribute. Flo's foghorn soprano or Diana's nasal twang often cut through and of course some may just have only 1 or 2 of the ladies on there, rather than 3 or 4 [[with Barbara - or Betty on the Primettes stuff for other labels).

I am trying to compile a list of background vocals recorded by The Supremes in their early days, for Motown and other [[Detroit) labels. There will never be a definitive list, because even those involved struggle to hear themselves on the track or not. I have corresponded with Andy Skurow some time ago and this is a combination of mine and his [[see portion of his original email below - i hope you don't mind me sharing, Andy). As he explains he was got Mary Wilson and Barbara Martin to listen to The Singles box sets and more, as there was an intention to include a list in the "Meet The Supremes" liner notes, which was abandoned.

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES: The Backing Vocals

The Primettes:
    1. Tears Of Sorrow
    2. Pretty Baby [[feat. Mary)
    3. I Found A Love – The Falcons
    4. Let Me Be Your Boy – Wilson Pickett
    5. My Heart Belongs To You – Wilson Pickett
    6. I’ll Get Along Without You – Al Garner
    7. I’ll Get Along – Marv Johnson
    8. All I Need Is You – Marv Johnson
    9. Lonely Nights – Gene Martin
    10. Return Of Stagger Lee – Don Revel
    11. Baby Won’t You Change Your Mind – Al Garner
    12. She Shot Me Down – John Lee Hooker [[Mary)
    13. Roll On – Walt Jessup
    14. Puppet On A String – Gino Washington
    15. Bouquet Of Flowers – James Velvet
    16. When I Needed You – James Velvet
    17. Brenda – Eddie Holland
    18. Just Ain’t Enough Love – Eddie Holland

Motown Backing Vocals:
    19. Itsy Bity Pity Love – Debbie Dean
    20. But I’m Afraid – Debbie Dean
    21. Love Me – Pete Hartfield
    22. Angel In Blue – Joel Sebastian
    23. Blue Cinderella - Joel Sebastian
    24. Strange Love – Mary Wells
    25. Come To Me – Mary Wells
    26. Bad Boy - Mary Wells
    27. The Day Will Come – Freddie Gorman
    28. What Makes You Love Him – Sammy Ward
    29. Small Sad Sam – Bob Kayli
    30. Tie Me Tight – Bob Kayli
    31. Whose Heart [[Are You Gonna Break Now) – Don McKenzie
    32. I’ll Call You – Don McKenzie

1. The One Who Really Loves You – The Marvelettes
    2. I’m Finally Through With You – Mable John
    3. I’m Gonna Stay – Mary Wells
    4. Big Joe Moe – Singin’ Sammy Ward
    5. Everybody’s Talking About My Baby – Debbie Dean
    6. What About Me – Eddie Holland
    7. Sleep [[Little One) – Herman Ward
    8. I’ll Cry A Million Tears – Mickey McCullers
    9. Hold On Pearl – Bob Kayli
    10. I’m Hooked – Bunny Paul
    11. We’re Only Young Once – Bunny Paul
    12. I’ll Make It Up To You Somehow – Amos Milburn
    13. Back To School Again – Morocco Music Makers
    14. It Should Have Been Me – Kim Weston
    15. Mickey’s Monkey – The Miracles [[Mary)
    16. My Heart Is Like A Clock - Mary Wells
    17. Whisper You Love Me Boy - Mary Wells
    18. What Goes Up Must Come Down – Holland Dozier
    19. Not Now, I’ll Tell You Later – The Temptations
    20. Can I Get A Witness – Marvin Gaye with The Temptations
    21. You’re A Wonderful One - Marvin Gaye
    22. Have A Little Patience And Wait - Marvin Wells
    23. Set Me Free – Lee Alan
    24. You’re Gonna Love My Baby – Barbara McNair
    25. The Touch Of Time - Barbara McNair
    26. Going To A Go Go – Brenda Holloway [[Mary & Flo)

Andy's email follows:

As for the Supremes in the background: There was supposed to be a list included in the new Meet The Supremes package. Did you get it yet? It’s really wonderful, I’m particularly proud of it. However, as we compiled the list, we all had some difficulty narrowing down what was and wasn’t the Supremes. I mean, I came up with my list, which slightly differed from three other people who have ears as confident as mine. When we sent the songs in question to Mary Wilson and Barbara Martin, they had trouble deciphering if it was them. As a result, I decided to cut the list out because I couldn’t be definitive. Maybe I’ll include it in a book one day with a warning label. Anyway, here’s the list of what I feel is the Supremes on backgrounds. Again, because it’s not definitive, you may disagree on some, and that’s okay. Here it is as it would have been written in the collection had we completed the research:

Supremes In The Background

In the early days of Motown, the Supremes sang background on many sessions, but without supporting paperwork it’s difficult to determine exactly which songs. The Supremes weren’t alone in the background, either – sessions sometimes included all or one of the Ray-Ber Voices, or an Andante, a Marvelette, or a Vandella; a guy, a chorus, or a combination of any of them. It’s best in these cases to rely on ears, and our team has put together the most comprehensive list to date where we can actually hear the Supremes. Most of these songs are available on The Complete Motown Singles series from Hip-O Select. Some are from the early albums. There are others not included here that remain unreleased.

1960 Lupine Sessions:
    All I Ever Want Is You – Al Garner
    Baby Won’t You Change Your Mind – Al Garner
    I’ll Get Along – Al Garner
    And several tracks with the Falcons

1961:
    Angel In Blue – Joel Sebastion
    Blue Cinderella – Joel Sebastion
    But I’m Afraid – Debbie Dean
    Come To Me – Mary Wells
    The Day Will Come – Freddie Gorman
    I’ll Call You – Don McKenzie
    Itty Bitty Pity Love – Debbie Dean
    Small Sad Sam – Bob Kayli
    Strange Love – Mary Wells [[TBD)
    What Makes You Love Him – Sammy Ward
    Whose Heart Are You Gonna Break Now – Don McKenzie

1962:
    Big Joe Moe – Singin’ Sammy Ward
    Everybody’s Talking About My Baby – Debbie Dean
    Hold On Pearl – Bob Kayli [[TBD)
    I’ll Cry A Million Tears – Mickey McCullers
    I’m Gonna Stay – Mary Wells
    Sleep [[Little One) – Herman Griffin [[TBD)
    What About Me – Eddie Holland [[TBD)

1963:
    Back To School Again – Morocco Muzik Makers
    Can I Get A Witness – Marvin Gaye
    I’ll Make It Up To You Somehow – Amos Milburn
    I’m Hooked – Bunny Paul [[TBD)
    It Should Have Been Me – Kim Weston
    Not Now, I’ll Tell You Later – The Temptations
    We’re Only Young Once – Bunny Paul
    What Goes Up Must Come Down – Dozier/Holland [[TBD)
    Who Wouldn’t Love A Man Like That [[1963 version) – Mable John [[TBD)
    You Lost The Sweetest Boy – Mary Wells

1964:
    Set Me Free – Lee Alan
    You’re A Wonderful One – Marvin Gaye

1965:
    The Touch Of Time – Barbara McNair

Well Mark, how’s that? Is it similar to your list? I didn’t really go into the albums, like the Mary Wells albums, because the list was dropped before I got that far. I also didn’t go into the unreleased recordings, because then it would have taken a lot longer to tackle.
    Last edited by markdtiller; 11-04-2012 at 04:22 PM.

I don't believe it's the Supremes on Eddie Holland's "Just Ain't Enough Love," Mary Wells' "Whisper You Love Me Boy," and "Honey Boy." It's the Andantes. Carolyn Crawford's "Keep Stepping [[Never Look Back)" sounds more like the Marvelettes to me than the Supremes and Lee Alan's "Set Me Free" sounds like the Vandellas to me as well.

Here's the link to an earlier discussion centring on their non-Motown recordings:
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...backing+vocals
    Lots of useful info, particularly from robb_k

bradsupremes

I agree, my ears tell me that's The Andantes on Eddie Hollands 'Just Ain't Enough Love'. Three part harmony, but with neither Diana nor Florence audible. Whoever else was there, I can hear Jackie Hicks...

Agreed - Mary Wells version of 'Whisper...' is also The Andantes. Same backing track as Mary Wells, but different voices on Supremes version, with Mary Wilson predominant...

Agreed - Mary Wells version of "Honey Boy' is The Andantes. Same backing track as Mary Wells, but different voices on Supremes version, with Florence clearly audible.

Am very pleased to read that two others are also hearing The Marvelettes on background of Carolyn Crawford's "Keep Stepping". I posted on Facebook Marvelettes page about it, but Kat said The Marvelettes did not sing background for anyone. I can't find reference to the Marvelettes ever recording this track, but just can't help but wonder if, for some reason, Gladys or Wanda's voice has been wiped, and Carolyn's voice dubbed over - or, the track was prepared with all Marvelettes on background, but a lead vocal by Gladys or Wanda was never recorded.....

The Supremes aren't on "What Goes Up", That's the Four Tops and the Andantes, and I think those are the Vandellas on "Brenda".

Brad I have removed "Honey Boy" and Whisper You Love Me Boy" by Mary Wells and Carolyn Crawford's "Keep Stepping" as a few people seem definite it's The Andantes & The Marvelettes respectively. Lee Alan track was on Andy's list so leaving that there for now.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I don't believe it's the Supremes on Eddie Holland's "Just Ain't Enough Love," Mary Wells' "Whisper You Love Me Boy," and "Honey Boy." It's the Andantes. Carolyn Crawford's "Keep Stepping [[Never Look Back)" sounds more like the Marvelettes to me than the Supremes and Lee Alan's "Set Me Free" sounds like the Vandellas to me as well.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 2935
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Vandellas were given print credit on Lee Alan's record, so we KNOW they were on it. I think the poster means to imply that The Supremes were singing on it as well? Is that it? I don't think I heard other female voices on Lee Alan's record. I think it is only The Vandellas.

Cindy Birdsong is one of the backing vocalists on Wilson Pickett's classic hit "634-5789"

"Augmented by Diana Ross of the Supremes they [the Andantes] backed Marvin Gaye on [YOU'RE A] WONDERFUL ONE, amongst many others."

Dave Godin, Hitsville USA #8, August 1965

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    "Augmented by Diana Ross of the Supremes they [the Andantes] backed Marvin Gaye on [YOU'RE A] WONDERFUL ONE, amongst many others."

Augmented by Diana Ross of the Supremes, Wonderful One sounds like Florence Ballard augmented those backing vocals. Sounds like just the Supremes in the background imo

I thought it was said that "You're A Wonderful One" was the Andantes with Flo.

I thought it was said that "You're A Wonderful One" was the Andantes with Flo.
    It is Mary, Diane and Flo on "Wonderful One".

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Augmented by Diana Ross of the Supremes, Wonderful One sounds like Florence Ballard augmented those backing vocals. Sounds like just the Supremes in the background imo
    It is only the Supremes singing background on "Wonderful One".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Cindy Birdsong is one of the backing vocalists on Wilson Pickett's classic hit "634-5789"
    Yes, you're right, I forgot that - with the other Bluebells
    I will add it to my other list

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is only the Supremes singing background on "Wonderful One".
    Dave Godin put on record that it was the Andantes on "Wonderful One" after his trip to Hitsville at the personal invitation of Berry Gordy. What reason would he have had to lie?

If you listen to it, Flo's voice is unmistakeable. I was at a talk with Mary a few years back at the London V&A gown exhibit and she confirmed they backed Marvin on two cuts: "Come And Get A Witness" - she couldn't remember the name of the other one, but I have no doubt this is it. Maybe the Andantes are on there but it doesn't sound like a big chorus . How would Berry necessarily remember who sang background on what?

Dave Godin put on record that it was the Andantes on "Wonderful One" after his trip to Hitsville at the personal invitation of Berry Gordy. What reason would he have had to lie?
    He was just mistaken. Mary Wilson says that it was Diane, Flo and herself. Marvin Gaye had even mentioned it as well.

I heard this song over and over as a kid as it was a favorite of my father and my uncle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_a_Wonderful_One

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    If you listen to it, Flo's voice is unmistakeable. I was at a talk with Mary a few years back at the London V&A gown exhibit and she confirmed they backed Marvin on two cuts: "Come And Get A Witness" - she couldn't remember the name of the other one, but I have no doubt this is it. Maybe the Andantes are on there but it doesn't sound like a big chorus . How would Berry necessarily remember who sang background on what?
    Mark, it is true that the Supremes are on "Can I Get A Witness" [[you can really hear Florence loud and clear above the male voices) and "You're A Wonderful One". There are NO Andantes on that record.

Here is Marvin with the girls [[Mary, Diane and Flo) on background with male singers giving "Can I Get A Witness" a nice work out. You really hear Florence Ballard!!!

honest man Guest
    Wherever i lay my hat-Marvin Gaye, sure it;s the girls on background,any offers, cheers.

honest man...i was listening to WILMH only today and thinking its deffinately the girls on there...you can hear Diana very clearly

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    honest man...i was listening to WILMH only today and thinking its deffinately the girls on there...you can hear Diana very clearly
    But wasn't that track from Marvin Gaye's second album in which The Vandellas were featured on the back cover?

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    The Supremes sang behind Marvin Gaye on You're A Wonderful One. I gotta admit they sang their asses off on that one. Andantes my Aunt Fanny! And weren't the Supremes, the Primettes or some of them on Eddie Holland's Brenda? Listen to the ending and you can tell whose voice that is.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.

the Vandellas might be on the back cover and they obviously sang backup on a couple of the tracks the funk brothers are also on there and they aint credited either lol...but its deffinately the supremes on WILMH

honest man Guest
    Mousville ,i thought it was The Supremes backing mainly because it sounds so much Like Diana Ross in background,i think we are onto something, cheers.

I dunno. The backing vocals on WILMH sound like the Vandellas to me. I think I hear Martha Reeves clearly on the songs fade. It doesn't sound like the Supremes.

that is an amasingly detailed list of their early work especially due to the lack of log recordings for those studio dates..but I have no doubt there was many other songs they contributed to we will never know but that list has blown me away !

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    that is an amasingly detailed list of their early work especially due to the lack of log recordings for those studio dates..but I have no doubt there was many other songs they contributed to we will never know but that list has blown me away !
    Well thank you on behalf of Andy and myself! See my other list for solo b/v recordings.

Who sang BG on Wilson Pickett's "For Better Or Worse"?

Was it The Supremes singing background on Wilson Pickett's "For Better Or Worse"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8U9tr2mGk

Views: 1697
    It SHOULD, given that it WAS The Vandellas, and they were credited on the record's label.

Marv Johnson never recorded "I'll Get Along". That was listed only because someone thought an uncredited acetate of that song was Marv Johnson because of Garner's falsetto. When Eddie Holland recorded "Just Ain't Enough Love", The Primettes no longer existed, and were called The Supremes. But I don't think they sang vocals on that song, anyway. I think it was The Andantes.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 2935
    The Vandellas were given print credit on Lee Alan's record, so we KNOW they were on it. I think the poster means to imply that The Supremes were singing on it as well? Is that it? I don't think I heard other female voices on Lee Alan's record. I think it is only The Vandellas.
    Hi Robb; I don't hear any other voices on Lee Alan's 'Set Me Free' besides Martha & the Vandellas [[or "Vendellas" as they're identified on the label). And according to the entry on TCMS-1964, Lee Alan remembers Marvin Gaye on piano, Stevie Wonder on drums & Smokey Robinson playing the horn. No wonder it's my favorite charity record from '60s Motown.

It was definitely The Andantes on Eddie Holland's "Just Ain't Enough Love" AND "Candy To Me". That 'blend' of harmony vocals is unmistakably Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks, and Marlene Barrow -- my favorite of all the girl groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Wescomo View Post
    Was it The Supremes singing background on Wilson Pickett's "For Better Or Worse"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8U9tr2mGk
    Bump: Anyone? It seems late in the game for a Supremes backing vocal. I definitely don’t hear Diana; Flo and Mary are plausible in some sense, in conjunction with other voices.

R Dean Taylor - No Longer A Rebel and Respectable Distance Away.

It's a shame that some fans are so intent on not listening to the male led songs that they miss out.

And if you're reading this Big Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

It's a shame that some fans are so intent on not listening to the male led songs that they miss out.

And if you're reading this Big Brenda
    Thanks for these. Are they confirmed?

And any ideas about Pickett’s “For Better...”?

Ideas of whether the Supremes are on that Wilson Pickett record. No.

Listen to this one with your ears and let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Bump: Anyone? It seems late in the game for a Supremes backing vocal. I definitely don’t hear Diana; Flo and Mary are plausible in some sense, in conjunction with other voices.
    No way. While the Supremes in the early days apparently were no different than the tons of other acts making the rounds who moonlighted at other labels, by the time of "For Better or Worse" the Supremes were rarely even recording background vocals for other artists at Motown, let alone at other record labels. By this time they had number one hits under their belts, the "undisputed queens of popular music". I would cross this one off the list Sans.

You are correct. They are unmistakably on these cuts.

Uh, is this a real thing among Motown fans???

My ears can't rule it out, but on this one I can't be sure.

You might be onto something here. I think I hear Flo and Diana.

Keep ‘em coming, y’all!

Well they are not on If You Need Me....there was a long thread on SDF about it some time in the Ice Age!

If I recall correctly it was concluded that it was Cissy Houston plus Dee Dee and Dionne Warwick who are also on Solomon Burke's cover version.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Uh, is this a real thing among Motown fans???
    Probably not....but there is one in particular who keeps telling me he is intending to play the male lead songs but never does. I was teasing him.