[REMOVE ADS]

VERNON BULLOCK @ Motown

Vernon Bullock went on to work with lots of acts; New Birth, Wee Gee, Bobby Wilson, Younghearts, Livin' Proof, Flavor, the Moonglows, etc.
    At Motown, he collaborated mainly with Harvey Fuqua & Johnny Bristol but also with Sylvia Moy and Mickey Stevenson.
    How long was he with Motown & anyone know why he left ?
    . . . TELL ME ... bout him please, coz IT'S not JUST A RUMOR ..
    Name:  IsleyBrosMotwnLP.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  43.9 KB
    Last edited by jsmith; 01-05-2024 at 08:12 AM.

Other songs he helped write @ Motown ...
    What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love) -- Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Vernon Bullock -- Jr. Walker & the All Stars
    Sweet Soul -- Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Vernon Bullock - Jr. Walker & the All Stars
    That's How It Is [[Since You've Been Gone) - Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Vernon Bullock - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    If I Could Build My Whole World Around You - Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Vernon Bullock - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

Here is some additional information about Vernon Bullock obtained via google search from a facebook posting.

Remembering Vernon Bullock [[1946 - 2015)
    Former Motown producer and writer Vernon Bullock [[1946 - 2015) died Wednesday March 18, 2015. As you know, during his career he worked with Motown [["What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)", "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You"), the New Birth and the Younghearts [[at 20th Century) as a producer and songwriter. He co-wrote with Johnny Bristol, Mickey Stevenson, Kim Weston, Sylvia Moy, Ivy Hunter, and Harvey and Gwen Gordy-Fuqua. He considered Harvey Fuqua his mentor, writing his most popular songs with him. He assisted Harvey in Artist Development, a department set up to refine the artists' stage presence and tighten their acts. Part of Bullock's responsibilities were to travel around the country taping various Motown artists' shows for the purpose of reviewing and refining their acts. He also moonlighted at various Detroit nightclubs, including the Twenty Grand, Vertigo West, and the Moon Supper Club, as a lighting director. He worked with Florence Ballard when the Supremes booted her in 1968. This was before he left Motown with Fuqua for Louisville, KY. New Birth was created by Bullock, not Harvey Fuqua. Bullock co-wrote many songs on early albums by New Birth, the Nite-Liters, and Love, Peace & Happiness. Bullock registered the name 'New Birth' in Detroit in December of 1969. The concept behind New Birth was to create a play that would use a repertoire of recorded songs to tell the story, hence a new way of putting on a concert -- a "new birth" of presentations. He introduced it to Fuqua in 1970 with the idea of establishing several acts separately who would perform as a self-contained show. The act that got the first hit record would get top billing, and the others would be supporting acts. Bullock later produced the Younghearts' two LPs on 20th Century Records, and he also did work for the Dells, Little Richard, Johnny Taylor, Booker T. & the MG's and many others. He will surely be missed!

He also wrote:
    "Were Gonna Be More Than Friends" Spinners.
    "Do You Love Me A Little Honey" Gladys Knight & Pips.
    "When Love Comes Knocking At My Heart" Tammi Terrell , Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.
    "If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love" Gladys Knight & Pips.
    "Get Away Heartache [[Keep On Moving)" Marvin Gaye.
    "My Fatherless Son" Four Tops.
    "I`m Gonna Make It Up To You" Kim Weston.
    "Into My Empty Arms" Barbara McNair.
    "I Feel Your Love Growing On Me" Brenda Holloway.
    "Serve Yourself A Cup Of Happiness" Monitors.
    "Yesterday`s Dreams" Four Tops.
    "I`d Still Love You" Chuck Jackson.
    "Let Somebody Love Me" David Ruffin, Chuck Jackson, Ivy Jo.
    "Ode To Benny B." Funk Bros.
    "I`ve Never Begged Before" Originals.
    "Up On Your Feet" Funk Bros.
    "When We`re Together" Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston.
    "Heaven Sent You I Know" Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston.
    "I Couldn`t Help Falling For You" Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston.
    "It`s Got To Be A Miracle [[This Thing Called Love)" Marvin & Kim, Barbara Randolph, Supremes & Four Tops.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  21.1 KB
    Vern Bullock also wrote songs for mickey Stevenson's Venture Records, along with Clarence Paul, for a few years during the late 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    He also wrote:
    "Were Gonna Be More Than Friends" Spinners.
    "Do You Love Me A Little Honey" Gladys Knight & Pips.
    "When Love Comes Knocking At My Heart" Tammi Terrell , Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.
    "If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love" Gladys Knight & Pips.
    "Get Away Heartache [[Keep On Moving)" Marvin Gaye.
    "My Fatherless Son" Four Tops.
    "I`m Gonna Make It Up To You" Kim Weston.
    "Into My Empty Arms" Barbara McNair.
    "I Feel Your Love Growing On Me" Brenda Holloway.
    "Serve Yourself A Cup Of Happiness" Monitors.
    "Yesterday`s Dreams" Four Tops.
    "I`d Still Love You" Chuck Jackson.
    "Let Somebody Love Me" David Ruffin, Chuck Jackson, Ivy Jo.
    "Ode To Benny B." Funk Bros.
    "I`ve Never Begged Before" Originals.
    "Up On Your Feet" Funk Bros.
    "When We`re Together" Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston.
    "Heaven Sent You I Know" Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston.
    "I Couldn`t Help Falling For You" Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston.
    "It`s Got To Be A Miracle [[This Thing Called Love)" Marvin & Kim, Barbara Randolph, Supremes & Four Tops.
    A great idea for a CDR compilation

Paul it would be even better as an Ace release with a few alternates!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Paul it would be even better as an Ace release with a few alternates!!
    Sure would - but pigs and fly come to mind unfortunately...