[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Detroit sequins

Detroit sequins

Hi,this is my first post on this forum and was wondering if anyone has any facts on the 3 girl line-up The Sequins,they had a release on The Detroit Sound label called Try My Love.I have a promo picture of the girls dressed in of course sequin outfits.The picture came from Dave Hamiltons house on W Philadelphia[[i was a visitor on many times)and was lucky to of been a friend of Daves[[he was a super super guy i miss him god bless.He said to me that they were far better than The Supremes at the time.What i think may have happend is that Duke Browner took the group on,added a member and re-named them the Lollipops.Anyone have any facts.Thank-you for your time in reading this post.Kind regards Richard Gilly Gilbert

Gilly

I haven't heard about the Lollipops connection before. Whenever I've asked people in Detroit about The Sequins, all I've got is a blank look. One problem is there were so many groups with that name.
    Last edited by acooolcat; 09-24-2010 at 08:03 PM.

The Lolllipops has a release on Impact so there is a Duke Browner connection Gilly. Off hand I can't remember what, and didn't the Sequins have a release on Renfro? I'll look up the release dates, and see if there is a clue. Love to Nicola.

There were female soul groups called The Sequins who had releases on Red Robin [[1956?), Terrace [[1962/63), Ascot [[1964), Detroit Sound & Renfro [[in 1966) Gold Star [[1970) and Crajon [[1971/72 -- some of this outfits 45's were picked up for release on Fantasy).
    The three ladies that made up the Gold Star / Crajon / Fantasy group are known but little is known about the other group's members.
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-24-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Weren't the cuts made by the Renfro group cut in LA ??
    I guess that would make them a west coast outfit.

John have you been reading Soul Harmony Singles?
    I was just looking for the release dates in that book,
    The Lollipops had releases on Impact in '66, and VIP in'69

there were at least 7 different girl groups called The Sequins, maybe as many as 10 different groups.

1. The Sequins on Terrace, United Artists and Ascot are the same group - they were from somewhere on the East Coast and as far as I know were white

2. The Los Angeles group on Renfro

3. Another Los Angeles group on A&M

4. The Detroit group on Detroit Sound - I doubt they've anything to do with the Lollipops

5. The Chicago group on Gold Star, Fantasy and Crajon

6. There was a Sequins group on Cameo in 1959 - maybe from Philadelphia

7. The Sequins on Red Robin - from the East Coast but I doubt they've any connection to the Terrace, Ascot group as they predate that group by a good six years.

8. Jimmy Burke with The Sequins on Fortune - a 1960 Detroit release. Unlikely to have any connection to the Detroit Sound group

9. Janice Rado and the Sequins on Rado - a 1960 release from Los Angeles

10. Jesse and The Sequins on Boxer and Profile - 1959 Chicago

Gilly, could you post that photo ?
    Last edited by davie gordon2; 09-24-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Sequins on Red Robin were a male group.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-25-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks Robb - I couldn't find anything about them other than the titles which don't help identifying if they were male or female.

Thanks to all so far,the first reason i had this Sequins/Lollipops conection is on visiting Duke Browners house 1987 [[hear i go again)i got my Sequins 45 from him,well i know these guys would pass their latest release around to each other so he could have gotten it from anyone as it wasnt one of his creations.Secondly the three girls look very much like three of the Lollipops promo picture.Now with being a bit thick i dont know how to post a photo,maybe my old friend Mr Clegg will teach me.[[Love to Ches) Gilly

Gilly,
    ... ... to post a photo, click on the 'Go Advanced' button below the Quick Reply Box ..... type in your message as usual... then click on the attachment icon [[paperclip above box) ... select 'add files' ... 'browse' to find the digital image of your photo on your computer and UPLOAD ... an icon for it should then appear in the attachments box at the btm ...
    ... just hit the 'Insert Online' button at btm right & its ATTACHED to your message.
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-25-2010 at 05:05 AM.

Here's the disc...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A bit of advanced googling finally turned up some concrete info. on the Detroit Sound group
    http://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.co...our-heart.html

Great find, Davie. Thanks.

It would be really nice to have some more details about Taylor and Turner. I thought there might be a connection with Dr Kyle, but there wasn't. I also spoke to the Brooks brothers involved on the TAY 45, but they counld't recall who Taylor or Turner were. The other link I followed up was via Card records - and although I spoke to that label's owner, I drew a blank there too.

Hi Gang,

Finally got logged onto the new set up.

I have a pic of the Lollipops [[Duke Browners group) and when Gilly and I compared the pic with the Dave Hamilton's Sequins, two of the ladies appeared to be the same people. [[or identical twins!).

Hence our wondering if there was a connection. I'm not sure when the Lollipops pic was taken, whether it was whilst at Harry Balk's Impact set up or when Duke Browner produced two singles on them for VIP in '69.

Anyone got a confirmed line up for the Lollipops of Detroit fame?

Best,

Dave

Hi Gilly,
    Thanks to you setting us up with the deal and us getting a lot of paperwork, I can tell you that Dave had an artist's management contract with the Sequins who on 14th March 1967 were Brenda Rowland, Brenda Knight and Merlene Druskell, all minors as the contracts were witnessed by their parents. This corresponds with the link Davie provided and goes into greater detail.

Cheers

Ady

Conclusion

Name:  03-10-2010 21;24;55.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  87.7 KBName:  03-10-2010 21;24;55.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  87.7 KB
    After all these years I still maintain there is a visual connection between these two groups, the bombshell is the picture marked Lollipops is not the Impact group as everyone wants to believe. sorry about putting a picture up twice
    Attached Images Attached Images