[REMOVE ADS]

Soul Spin - Four Tops

I believe that this album did not include/have any singles lifted for the US and UK?

Are there any tracks that you think would have been successful as singles?

Is this album unique amongst Motown artists and their albums in not having any singles included/taken from it.

Just a thought......

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I believe that this album did not include/have any singles lifted for the US and UK?

Are there any tracks that you think would have been successful as singles?

Is this album unique amongst Motown artists and their albums in not having any singles included/taken from it.

Just a thought......
    No U.S. or U.K. singles .. but "Barbara's Boy"/"Look Out Your Window" was a 45 in a lot of European countries ..

"Barbara's Boy" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGkzzvMgM9g

"Look Out Your Window" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euub3orKgj4

Roger

One of my favorite albums by the Tops. Their version of "Light My Fire" could have been issued as a single successful. The backgrounds were just so cool:

I liked "Barbara's Boy". Tony Blackburn played it a lot, so I was surprised that it wasn't released as a single in the UK. Perhaps the lyrics were too controversial.

I agree that Barbara's Boy was perhaps a missed opportunity. Though to my ears it is a shameless crib of the shout 'Bernadette'.

I've been listening to this album a lot lately. It is one of my favourite Motown albums. Levi does a better job on some of the covers than the original artists in my opinion. Testament to his incredible talent for interpretation.

RossHolloway Guest
    Didn't the group perform a live version of LMF on a television show. Seems I remember seeing just a short clip of their performance and it sounded even better live

I like the version of "California Dreaming"
    on the L.P.

Does anyone know who is singing lead on it??

Roger

Lawrence Payton is singing the lead on "California Dreamin'"

BB reached no.18 in the Dutch Top 40

http://www.top40.nl/the-four-tops/barbara-s-boy_1545

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Didn't the group perform a live version of LMF on a television show. Seems I remember seeing just a short clip of their performance and it sounded even better live
    Yes they did back in 1970. I cannot recall the program though at the moment.

The songs "Nothing" and "Stop The World" are highlights from the album for me. And I like the bonus "Sizzle, sizzle, sizzle me baby, light my fire, woooooo!" in their version of "Light My Fire."

I agree that the Four Tops' versions of many standards or other popular songs was simply outstanding. Their voices were so seamlessly in harmony that they could sing anything from "Macarthur Park" to "California Dreaming" to "Eleanor Rigby." And remember, that their version of "It's All in the Game" was also a remake of a much earlier song by [[I believe ) Tommy Edwards. I really think they were under rated. They weren't as flashy and didn't have the great choreography of the Tempts, but they were great in their own right.

The song Nothing is quite something, I remember playing it multiple times when I first discovered it. I did the same thing when I got the CD.