[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: I'm Outta Here!

I'm Outta Here!

Well……….tomorrow, October 31st will be my last day at work after working there for 31 years. God has blessed me to live to see this day and I am sooo grateful. Also, I will be moving to my new home in Valdosta, GA on November 9th. I am truly excited; a little scared of the unknown as I’m leaving children, mother, sisters and childhood friends not to mention my “friend” for the past 17 years. [[He’ll just have to make quarterly visits. LOL)

I didn’t want to leave Philly but my block had deteriorated to the extent that I can’t bear to live around folks who don’t have a clue nor do they want one. The summers are the most unbearable with fussin/cussin, fighting in the wee hours of the morning, children running amok causing property damage, the street being used as an auto body shop, people bar-be-queing on the porch, trash everywhere, gun shots, helicopters flying overhead not to mention young men congregating on the corners selling drugs. In a nutshell a living HELL.

My new development is nice and quiet comprising of working folks who have nothing better to do at night but to be asleep. Also, I befriended the former owner and he assured me that I will be very happy living there possibly adding 10 more years to my life! What really made me happy was when I asked him about rodents and he said in the 6 years that he lived there he never saw one inside or outside the home. That SEALED THE DEAL for me as in any urban area rodents is a problem and I was being overrun and I had a cat!

So after tomorrow, I won’t be on the forum for maybe 3-4 weeks as my computer and such is already in GA and I will be incapable of participating on the forum. I’ll miss peeking in but as the Terminator would say, “I’LL BE BACK”!

Also, I forgot to mention the snow and ice. I slipped on the ice in 2003 and had a severe concussion that has caused me to have migraines almost daily thus causing me to get dizzy alot. So no more shoveling and digging myself out when we have those back to back storms. Also my home was two storied another dangerous condition for us seniors so now everything is on one floor.

Hope you're happy in your new home, Nosey. Something tells me you will be. The south is a big change of pace after living up north.

Congratulations and best of luck in your new home, Nosey.

Congratulations on your new move and the new chapter in your life. Change can be daunting but a good thing. I'm sure that you will enjoy your new surroundings.

Congrats, Nosey, I so envy you in so many ways...take care...

BC has had a heavy snowfall prior to Halloween this year; makes me want to flee the coop too!

But it is bright blue sky today, colder than a witch's tit, but it's not New York City underwater.

So I won't squawk anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by nosey View Post
    Well……….tomorrow, October 31st will be my last day at work after working there for 31 years. God has blessed me to live to see this day and I am sooo grateful. Also, I will be moving to my new home in Valdosta, GA on November 9th. I am truly excited; a little scared of the unknown as I’m leaving children, mother, sisters and childhood friends not to mention my “friend” for the past 17 years. [[He’ll just have to make quarterly visits. LOL)

I didn’t want to leave Philly but my block had deteriorated to the extent that I can’t bear to live around folks who don’t have a clue nor do they want one. The summers are the most unbearable with fussin/cussin, fighting in the wee hours of the morning, children running amok causing property damage, the street being used as an auto body shop, people bar-be-queing on the porch, trash everywhere, gun shots, helicopters flying overhead not to mention young men congregating on the corners selling drugs. In a nutshell a living HELL.

My new development is nice and quiet comprising of working folks who have nothing better to do at night but to be asleep. Also, I befriended the former owner and he assured me that I will be very happy living there possibly adding 10 more years to my life! What really made me happy was when I asked him about rodents and he said in the 6 years that he lived there he never saw one inside or outside the home. That SEALED THE DEAL for me as in any urban area rodents is a problem and I was being overrun and I had a cat!

So after tomorrow, I won’t be on the forum for maybe 3-4 weeks as my computer and such is already in GA and I will be incapable of participating on the forum. I’ll miss peeking in but as the Terminator would say, “I’LL BE BACK”!
    God speed dearest Nosey and may his love and light shine upon you and may he keep you safe and strong in your new home.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Best of luck. May your move go smoothly, and your new home be all you hope for.

Life is a journey........a new adventure. Best of luck, Nosey!

Quote Originally Posted by nosey View Post

Nosey, Philly has changed a lot in the last 20 years or so. I remember when areas like West Philly had a strong community feeling to it and everyone had fun together in the community. Church on Sundays, Atlantic City on Friday nights and partying in CC on Sat. I congratulate you on your well deserved retirement. I do understand how you feel about seeing a place you once loved go steadily downhill. Your life and happiness is most important so enjoy your new home and hold on to the fond memories of the good ole days in Philly. That's what I've kept from my Philly days!

Marv

When things change that much, maybe it's for the best that you head for the hills...thinking of you and praying that you'll make a nice adjustment to your new home, Nosey.

Best,

Mark

Best of luck, nosey. Do you have family & friends in Valdosta? Haven't been there in many years but understand it is very nice with friendly people. The South has changed alot for the better.

Good luck to you Nosey. I found your post very nicely put. Your description is identical to some parts of the city in northern England which I travel to work in each day.

Fortunately the place where I live is 35 minutes, and another world, away.

It seems urban problems don't have international boundaries. Drugs and lack of respect for anything and anybody have blighted these places. And I can't see the way ahead.

Good luck Nosey. I too am from Philly and I don't think I'll be staying here very much longer either. It's ashame to see the neighborhood I grew up in turn to crap so quickly but there's not much anybody can do about it, I tried fighting for it but I just hit a dead end.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and expressions. Tony, my parents are from the general area so I have quite a few 1st cousins there who are retirees as well. So they're waiting on me! I can't wait to be able to go at the drop of a hat: going to Mobile with them for Mardi Gras, Daytona Raceway, tailgating in Jacksonville and my old love from 42 years ago lives in VA so I'll be going to see him and he'll come to see me as well not to mention that'll I'll be flying to Philly to see my children, my friend, etc.

Floyjoy, I saw the shift happening about 15 years ago and told my nephew to invest my money aggressively. I took a hit like everyone else but I was able to bounce back some so I'll be ok financially because I'm an excellent money manager and the cost of living there is really cheap compared to Philly.

I did a little dance in the parking lot this morning thanking God for blessing me with a job that was 90% a joy to work at allowing me to be a helpmate to my husband and allowing me to provide a decent home for my children. So as of 4:00p today, I will have served my time!

And Nosey, what will the first song you play in your new abode be? And if you're reading this after you 'shut down' for 3-4 weeks, what song DID you play?