[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson How Lucky Can You Get

She knows how to sell a song!

I don't get it?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I don't get it?
    I don't get it either. I like how this performance shows off Mary's voice, but I do not understand why she felt the need to change the lyrics to the song that was written for "Funny Lady," the sequel to "Funny Girl." The song is a sardonic lament. The lines are "Someone I am crazy for is crazy for me," NOT "Someone I am not crazy for..." She changed the meaning throughout the song.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    I don't get it either. I like how this performance shows off Mary's voice, but I do not understand why she felt the need to change the lyrics to the song that was written for "Funny Lady," the sequel to "Funny Girl." The song is a sardonic lament. The lines are "Someone I am crazy for is crazy for me," NOT "Someone I am not crazy for..." She changed the meaning throughout the song.

I understand why some people don't get it because they know very little about Mary Wilson or her life's story. If you understood some of the things she has gone through, the lyric change would make perfect sense. Very witty indeed.

I am not sure what the controversy is. She personalized the lyrics. This just may be IMO Mary's best TV appearance.

I like the performance of the song also. She shows more..........feeling here! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I understand why some people don't get it because they know very little about Mary Wilson or her life's story. If you understood some of the things she has gone through, the lyric change would make perfect sense. Very witty indeed.
    Marv, I know Mary's life story. I just don't care for changing the lyrics. Call me a purist. Leave the lyrics alone. Call Fred Ebb and ask him if you can change his words.

Marv, I know Mary's life story. I just don't care for changing the lyrics. Call me a purist. Leave the lyrics alone. Call Fred Ebb and ask him if you can change his words.
    Then you understand why she merged Leon Russell's , "A Song For You" with "How Lucky Can You Get". You saw the audience's reaction also? Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I don't get it?
    I saw Mary sing this song many times in the UK after The Supremes disbanded. When she got to the line 'I Don't Sing In That Key' - frankly, many times she didn't, and the audience laughed because they thought she was joking. Sorry if this upsets Mary's fans but it it the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyfield View Post
    I saw Mary sing this song many times in the UK after The Supremes disbanded. When she got to the line 'I Don't Sing In That Key' - frankly, many times she didn't, and the audience laughed because they thought she was joking. Sorry if this upsets Mary's fans but it it the truth.
    She was joking. Didn't you view the clip I posted above? It was tongue in cheek and the audience laughed then too. She was brilliant with this song/performance.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She was joking. Didn't you view the clip I posted above? It was tongue in cheek and the audience laughed then too. She was brilliant with this song/performance.
    Thanks for posting Marv....and they said she couldn't sing lol!

As great as these two clips are,I will never forget Mary performing this medley of "A Song For You/How Lucky Can You Get" at The Supremes' final performance, Theatre Royal, Drury Lane,in London 1977.

Inspired by the occasion, tears rolling down her face and, at times, howling from the bottom of her soul, Mary seemed not to need a microphone for much of the song.

She beat the band, and stopped the show right there, right then. The cheers and standing ovation nearly brought that roof down.

Although I enjoyed the 'Red Hot' album, I just wished it had included more material like that....

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks for posting Marv....and they said she couldn't sing lol!
    Right? LOL!!!! She sangs!

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    As great as these two clips are,I will never forget Mary performing this medley of "A Song For You/How Lucky Can You Get" at The Supremes' final performance, Theatre Royal, Drury Lane,in London 1977.

Inspired by the occasion, tears rolling down her face and, at times, howling from the bottom of her soul, Mary seemed not to need a microphone for much of the song.

She beat the band, and stopped the show right there, right then. The cheers and standing ovation nearly brought that roof down.

Although I enjoyed the 'Red Hot' album, I just wished it had included more material like that....
    I have read accounts of that night and always wished I could have been there. I witness a scene very similar to that one in the Fall of 1991 when Mary was in concert at Wayne State University in Detroit for the American Cancer Society. She at one point raised the mic high over her head, brought it out to her side and then lowered it below her waist and her voice was so powerful that you could here her all the way out to the lobby. She held a note for the longest time! Whew! The audience jumped to their feets.

After the 'Story of the Supremes' finished its run at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London, the performance costumes were then shown at exhibitions around the UK.

When it opened in Bath, Somerset, at the Assembly Rooms, in July/August 2009, Mary was - as I believe was usual - there for the opening, attended by the Mayor and local dignitaries.

I expect it was part of her own script for her to do so but, to illustrate a point, she stopped her line of conversation and sang a line or two from 'I am Changing' , then chuckled, and went to continue speaking.

As applause began, she paused, and sang some more lines from that song.

Even with a fairly basic mike clipped to the lapel of her jacket, when she raised her voice in crescendo, it carried all the force of being hurled back against the wall behind.

Another quite extraordinary moment.....

Westgrand thanks for sharing !

If you don't like a singer changing lyrics, you must HATE Bettye! haha

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    oof. She sure killed it for me! But not in a good way. Too bombastic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    If you don't like a singer changing lyrics, you must HATE Bettye! haha
    Impossible! Miss Bettye sings from her heart and experience and people love her for that. Lyrics be damned! hehehehehehe.......