[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Music - Motown: Big Hits & More 6-CD Set

Hi everyone,

I Just wanted to quickly share some info with everyone here first, we have a new "My Music - Motown: Big Hits & More" 6-CD, 132 track CD set being released exclusively to PBS stations starting Saturday, November 24th, at 9pm. A "best of" previous My Music specials will be broadcast in most cities at this time.

The goal for me, for this collection was to feature many of the the biggest Motown hits, b-sides, album cuts, forgotten 45's and should've been hits and [[especially) USA regional radio favorites through about 1967-68. We had great input from radio dj's and programmers coast-to-coast for this upcoming all new compilation.

While more specific details will follow closer to our actual release date, I wanted to let you know the set will be mostly stereo, [[with just a few mono single versions), and some surprise new stereo mixes making their CD debut from my friend Tom Moulton. My heartfelt thanks goes to everyone at UME for allowing us to make this project happen.

Studio: TJL/Treasury Collection.com
    CD Title: PBS MY MUSIC - MOTOWN: BIG HITS & MORE

CD #1
    1. Money [[That's What I Want) - Barett Strong
    2. Shop Around - The Miracles
    3. Please, Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes
    4. The One Who Really Loves You - Mary Wells
    5. Do You Love Me - The Contours
    6. Stubborn Kind Of Fellow - Marvin Gaye
    7. You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells
    8. Two Lovers - Mary Wells
    9. You've Really Got A Hold On Me - The Miracles
    10. Come And Get These Memories - Martha & The Vandellas
    11. Beachwood 4-5789 - The Marvelettes
    12. Too Strong To Be Strung Along - The Marvelettes
    13. Hitch Hike - Marvin Gaye
    14. Fingertips - Stevie Wonder
    15. A Breathtaking Guy - The Supremes
    16. Mickey's Monkey - The Miracles
    17. Heatwave - Martha & The Vandellas
    18. Quicksand - Martha & The Vandellas
    19. I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying - The Miracles
    20. The Girl's Alright With Me - The Temptations
    21. Contract On Love - Stevie Wonder
    22. Leaving Here - Eddie Holland

CD #2
    1.The Way You Do The Things You Do - The Temptations
    2. I Want A Love I Can See - The Temptations
    3. You're A Wonderful One - Marvin Gaye
    4. In My Lonely Room - Martha & The Vandellas
    5. Every Little Bit Hurts - Brenda Holloway
    6. My Guy - Mary Wells
    7. Looking For The Right Guy - Kim Weston
    8. I Like It Like That - The Miracles
    9. Dancing In The Street - Martha & The Vandellas
    10. Baby, I Need Your Loving - The Four Tops
    11. Would I Love You - The Miracles
    12. How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You) - Marvin Gaye
    13. Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue) - The Temptations
    14. Needle In A Haystack - The Velvelettes
    15. Where Did Our Love Go - The Supremes
    16. Ask Any Girl - The Supremes
    17. Without The One You Love [[Life Is Not Worthwhile) - The Four Tops
    18. Something About You - The Four Tops
    19. You Lost The Sweetest Boy - Mary Wells
    20. Sweet Thing - The Spinners
    21. Baby Love - The Supremes
    22. My Girl - The Temptations

CD #3
    1. Come See About Me - The Supremes
    2. Shotgun - Jr. Walker & His All Stars
    3. Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas
    4. Don't Look Back - The Temptations
    5. I'll Be Doggone - Marvin Gaye
    6. Ooh Baby Baby - The Miracles
    7. Back In My Arms Again - The Supremes
    8. I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) - The Four Tops
    9. The Tracks Of My Tears - The Miracles
    10. A Fork In The Road - The Miracles
    11. It's The Same Old Song - The Four Tops
    12. Nothing But Heartaches - The Supremes
    13. Ain't That Pecular - Marvin Gaye
    14. Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While) - Kim Weston
    15. My Baby - The Temptations
    16. Everything Is Good About You - The Supremes
    17. I Hear A Symphony - The Supremes
    18. Uptight [[Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder
    19. My World Is Empty Without You - The Supremes
    20. Since I Lost My Baby - The Temptations
    21. Put Yourself In My Place - The Elgins
    22. Going To A Go-Go - The Miracles

CD #4
    1. Get Ready - The Temptations
    2. He Was Really Saying Something - The Velvelettes
    3. This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You) - The Isley Brothers
    4. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations
    5. Truly Yours - The Spinners
    6. Shake Me, Wake Me - The Four Tops
    7. Whole Lot Of Shaking In My Heart [[Since I Met You) - The Miracles
    8. You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes
    9. I Guess I'll Always Love You - The Isley Brothers
    10. Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever - The Four Tops
    11. What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted - Jimmy Ruffin
    12. Blowin' In The Wind - Stevie Wonder
    13. Reach Out, I'll Be There - The Four Tops
    14. You Keep Me Hangin' On - The Supremes
    15. Heaven Must Have Sent You - The Elgins
    16. Beauty Is Only Skin Deep - The Temptations
    17. All I Need - The Temptations
    18. I'm Ready For Love - Martha & The Vandellas
    19. Standing In The Shadows Of Love - The Four Tops
    20. Since You've Been Gone - The Four Tops
    21. [[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need - The Miracles
    22. A Place In The Sun - Stevie Wonder

CD #5
    1. Love Is Here And Now You're Gone - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    2. The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    3. Jimmy Mack - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    4. Don't Mess With Bill - The Marvelettes
    5. Bernadette - The Four Tops
    6. I Got A Feeling - The Four Tops
    7. I'm Losing You - The Temptations
    8. 7-Rooms Of Gloom - The Four Tops
    9. I'll Turn To Stone - The Four Tops
    10. I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder
    11. More Love - The Miracles
    12. You're My Everything - The Temptations
    13. Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    14. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    15. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    16. I Wish It Would Rain - The Temptations
    17. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
    18. Too Busy Thinking About My Baby - Marvin Gaye
    19. I Second That Emotion - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    20. If You Can Want - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    21. The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game - The Marvelettes
    22. Reflections - Diana Ross & The Supremes

CD #6
    1. Dance Party - Martha & The Vandellas
    2. Jamie - Eddie Holland
    3. Let Me Go The Right Way - The Supremes
    4. The Only One That I Love - The Miracles
    5. Third Finger, Left Hand - Martha & The Vandellas
    6. Forever - Marvin Gaye
    7. The Impossible Dream - The Temptations
    8. There's No Stopping Us Now - The Supremes
    9. More, More, More Of Your Love - The Miracles
    10. Come On And See Me - Tammi Terrell
    11. I'm Still Loving You - Kim Weston
    12. Keep On Loving Me - Frances Nero
    13. Stop Her On Sight [[S.O.S.) - Edwin Starr
    14. If My Heart Could Tell The Story - Edwin Starr
    15. Behind A Painted Smile - The Isley Brothers
    16. I've Passed This Way Before - Jimmy Ruffin
    17. You'll Lose A Precious Love - The Temptations
    18. [[Lonliness Had Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need - The Temptations
    19. Just A Little Misunderstanding - The Contours
    20. It's Easy To Fall In Love [[With A Guy Like You) - Martha & The Vandellas
    21. It's A Good Feeling - The Miracles
    22. What's So Good About Goodbye - The Miracles

We know there's many artists and songs that didn't make this first set of 6 discs, Before considering future volumes, I want to encourage your direct input and feedback. Please feel free to email me directly with questions, considerations and your thoughts at any time. tjlproductions@aol.com
    Last edited by tjl; 10-25-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Since I am not exactly familiar with how those sets actually work, I've got a Q... Will we be able to buy it from somewhere [[ amazon/amazon.co.uk) or?!?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by MrTopCat View Post
    Since I am not exactly familiar with how those sets actually work, I've got a Q... Will we be able to buy it from somewhere [[ amazon/amazon.co.uk) or?!?

Thanks in advance!
    Sorry, these sets are only licensed for PBS in the US. They are made for public broadcasting in the states.

RossHolloway Guest
    That would make for a great starter collection for someone new to the Motown Sound. Good luck and I hope you sell a million copies. The only song that I'm not familiar with is on Disc 6, the Miracles -The Only One I Love
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 10-25-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Could you please explain to me why such a compilation would not be made available for the public to buy.... Am I getting it wrong or the set's actually being made for public radio in the US... smh

P.S - I am not trolling, just curious

If I understand correctly, the set accompanies an upcoming PBS pledge special. It will be offered as a gift when you pledge a certain amount to the PBS television station that is running the special.

I don't see anything I don't already own. But I do like Tom Moulton's stereo mixes. The Only One I Love is on "Depend On Me," the disc of early albums by the Miracles.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-26-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Yes I think reese is correct. PBS gets money from corporate sponsors and the federal government, but they also have pledge drives a few times per year where they ask the viewing public to make contributions. They usually run some special programs during this time - it could be that there will be a show with clips of Motown performances or something, then they offer you this cd set if you make a contribution of some certain amount.

Back in 2005 they did something like this with Motown. I think the TV program was called Motown, The Early Years [[I didn't see it), and they were offering a 4-cd set, The Motown Box, to contributors. The Motown Box has many extended stereo mixes. I bought that box on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Box-V...1203783&sr=1-1

However, to add a twist - apparently the 4th cd of the box offered directly by PBS was different from the 4th cd of the box sold on amazon. [[Yet these 4th disks were only about 35 mins in length and all the songs could have been included in both sets! Why did they do this?). I just searched and found that this was discussed on a thread in this forum:
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1166341336

@tjl
    Any word on how much one will need to contribute to get this box?
    Will the box also be available online at the PBS shop?
    Last edited by calvin; 10-26-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added remark on length of 4th disk in Motown Box

PBS usually wants people to pledge $100.00 or more to get the gift/CDs and DVDs.

Naturally I am drawn right away to the tracks by the Supremes; interesting this set ends at "Reflections", and sorry to see that "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" is credited to the DRATS; should simply be the Supremes.

Never-the-less, a good Motown 101 set. Thank you TJ for bringing these quality shows to PBS and for all you do to keep Motown "alive".

Cheers.

what no "baby love" missed a trick there by not including it couldv'e sold a lot more if that had been included lol

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Yes I think reese is correct. PBS gets money from corporate sponsors and the federal government, but they also have pledge drives a few times per year where they ask the viewing public to make contributions. They usually run some special programs during this time - it could be that there will be a show with clips of Motown performances or something, then they offer you this cd set if you make a contribution of some certain amount.

Back in 2005 they did something like this with Motown. I think the TV program was called Motown, The Early Years [[I didn't see it), and they were offering a 4-cd set, The Motown Box, to contributors. The Motown Box has many extended stereo mixes. I bought that box on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Box-V...1203783&sr=1-1

However, to add a twist - apparently the 4th cd of the box offered directly by PBS was different from the 4th cd of the box sold on amazon. [[Yet these 4th disks were only about 35 mins in length and all the songs could have been included in both sets! Why did they do this?). I just searched and found that this was discussed on a thread in this forum:
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1166341336

@tjl
    Any word on how much one will need to contribute to get this box?
    Will the box also be available online at the PBS shop?
    Calvin,

Thanks for posting, I was not aware of this . This may sound weird even to some of you fellow Motown Lovers. But I remember tallying the songs by composers on the set available from Amazon, and HDH compositions, from what I recall, were twice as many as the runner up. Even subbing the 4th disc from the PBS only set that number is pretty much the same.

I recently purchased and listened to some compilations that I wasn't familiar with that were influenced by West Grand Blvd, some Philly, Northern Soul, and even music recorded in the same city. If you consider that some of the tracks on this new set were B-Sides or album tracks, it makes me appreciate even more "The Sound Of Young America".

TJL, thank you for your involvement. I look forward to the extended mixes.

Which ones are new stereo mixes TJ?

I'll be able to confirm after I have the actual pressed discs in hand - - I can share Mr. Moutlon has been working on a new stereo mix of [[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need [[with an extended ending) from the Miracles - one of my favorites. He's also been hard at work on his absolute favorite, "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" from The Marvelettes [[stereo, no faded ending).

They'll be many surprises I think in here for all.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    That would make for a great starter collection for someone new to the Motown Sound. Good luck and I hope you sell a million copies. The only song that I'm not familiar with is on Disc 6, the Miracles -The Only One I Love
    Yes, that title jumped out at me as well. I've never heard that title before. I have all the Miracles albums but over the years didn't play them as much as some others, but it sounds totally unfamiliar.

These sets are usually available via Amazon resellers after they've been out a while. The ones offered through PBS sometimes have additional material [[more in the DVDs, I think though, than in the CD sets).

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    The Miracles The Only One I Love is the B-side of the single Ain't It Baby, from 1961. It's also on the LP Cookin' With The Miracles - the Hip-O "Depend on Me" set has both the LP and single versions.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-04-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added LP the song is on

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    I'll be able to confirm after I have the actual pressed discs in hand - - I can share Mr. Moutlon has been working on a new stereo mix of [[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need [[with an extended ending) from the Miracles - one of my favorites. He's also been hard at work on his absolute favorite, "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" from The Marvelettes [[stereo, no faded ending).

They'll be many surprises I think in here for all.
    Thanks for the info tjl.

Will this new stereo mix of 'Come Round Here' use the vocal take that was used on the original 45 mix? [[assuming it survived). Smokey recut his lead several months later which was used on the original stereo L.P. mix.

And it will be interesting to see if the new mix of 'The Hunter Gets Captured' has the extra verse missing from the single & stereo L.P mix.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 11-04-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    The Miracles The Only One I Love is the B-side of the single Ain't It Baby, from 1961. It's also on the LP Cookin' With The Miracles - the Hip-O "Depend on Me" set has both the LP and single versions.
    Wow! Interesting choice. I'm going to guess that this song is a favorite of TJ Lubinsky's, who has never made it a secret that The Miracles are his favorite group of all time.

Surprisingly, "The Only One" was a pick from Joe McCoy - former program director of WCBS-FM 101.1 for 21 years - - from back when they flipped to Oldies through about 2005 [[before they flipped to Jack, then back). Joe writes in a short essay how he though that should have been the "A" side, and programmers would have pushed it. He also [[along with many of the dj's in New York including Cousin Brucie) picked "Dance Party" by Martha & The Vandellas as their #1 - "should have been a single and would have been huge" selection - which is how that tune ended up on Disc #6. This was a surprise to me, as at least a half-dozen programmers and dj's all voted this song, their #1.

Now, in full disclosure, "Would I Love You" - - that is mine all the way [[that's my wedding song) and favorite Miracles tune of them all. So is, "It's A Good Feeling", for the best example of a line dance popular in the area called the "Waggoner Walk".

"Would I Love You" was also a top pick from both Jerry Blavat and Harvey Holiday in Philly - - a mega hit in the Philly/Jersey and Pittsburgh markets [[and still played in heavier rotation than any other Miracles tune in Philly/Jersey), with the exception of "Tears Of A Clown" across all stations in the market to this very day.

As for "Come Round Here" I can't say for sure on the vocal - as the song sounds so completely breathtaking in this incarnation - - it has the breadth of the woodwinds and strings, but all the stomp of the 45 - Tom Moulton really outdid himself for this one, and hearing the Miracles clearly crooning a very soulful "Come Round Here, Honey Honey - I'm The One You Want, Honey Honey" gives this tune a whole different spin. Again, a big record in Philly/Jersey. Tom shares how the complexities of this song made it for one of the greatest mix challenges in his career, particularly on our short turnaround time [[just a couple weeks).

On the Marvelettes, that's a good question for Mr. Moulton himself.

I just heard his stereo "Get Ready" where he did a new mix as well for this set - pretty amazing. On this one, I asked him for the feel of the single version mix style [[with Melvin in front and the "baby get ready [[ies)" also in front big and bold, but in stereo. He did not disappoint. To me, it sounds very much like the 45 version, except - in stereo and with an extended fade.

There's also a planned surprise coming for "A Place In The Sun" a special alternate mix that is extended with the 45 feel, more of a choir-type record, as the mono version of that song - - always gives me chills.

- tj

Again, I can't thank UME and everyone involved enough - especially Harry and team for allowing us access to a few specially selected gems I really wanted to attempt for this set, specific songs that we just never had time to explore on other TJL/treasurycollection.com/PBS releases.

More specific details to follow.
    Last edited by tjl; 11-05-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Noticing the absence of Marvin's "Pride & Joy" - it was his first R&B & POP top ten together, y'know...

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    While more specific details will follow closer to our actual release date, I wanted to let you know the set will be mostly stereo, [[with just a few mono single versions), and some surprise new stereo mixes making their CD debut from my friend Tom Moulton.
    That it will be mostly stereo with new stereo mixes is the deal-breaker for me. besides, I have all of these songs, sometimes in multiples.

I'll pass.

TJ Lubinsky's great love of this music comes through every set he puts together, especially in the lavish attention to detail. Of course I must have everything on this set...but I may just have to pledge to PBS and get it anyway, if only to get the Marvelettes "Hunter Gets Captured" with no hurry-up ending and no fade, which even the recent great box set didn't have!
    Last edited by kenneth; 11-05-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks for the update tj.

It will be interesting how to hear how the new stereo mix of Get Ready turns out.

Whilst not a sonic masterpiece, the mix done by Lawrence Horn that was used as the single just has something about it. Too bad the original stereo mix was so poor.

A shame we will not be able to get this set in the UK - I guess I'll have to make do with the stereo mix I did using the Singing Machine Karaoke backing track mix & isolated lead vocal.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 11-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.

It's too bad that these PBS shows don't get aired in Europe. Bad not only for the fans but also for the artists - many of whom depend on their European fans to continue performing.

If you can find an interested bonafide broadcaster/cablecaster in the UK - - please let me know or put them in touch with me. The entire catalog is available, and we'd love to see them running. In the past we've been told that there's no "interest" in multi-artist specials for tv broadcast in the UK when we've explored it.

It's the same reason our shows are not lciensed for DVD outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    It's too bad that these PBS shows don't get aired in Europe. Bad not only for the fans but also for the artists - many of whom depend on their European fans to continue performing.
    Yes it's a shame... There's even a "PBS America" station in the UK [[on Virgin Media and Sky) which could be showing these programs, but they tend to keep repeating stuff instead [[such as the Ken Burns documentaries - which are mostly very good, but I've seen them by now). Maybe if we wrote to them...?

http://www.pbsamerica.co.uk/1/Home
    Last edited by calvin; 11-12-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Just ordered mine on line from my local PBS station here in Nashville, Tennessee.
    $150.00 pledge/donation to a very good cause gets the 6 CD SET.

WNPT.org

tjl,
    Now that the show has aired and the set is finished , can you provide a list of all the tracks which are new Tom Moulton stereo mixes found only on this collection?

Now if only TJ could somehow get Otis Williams, Ron Tyson, Dennis Edwards, Richard Street and Theo Peoples together and have a real Temptations Reunion for an upcoming My Music Special. That would be something to see and purchase a DVD of.

There's several tracks [[unused mixes) originally created for Stereo Motown Box that didn't make that project due to tight deadlines at the time of issue, plus a handful of remixes we did for our more recent TJL "60s Pop, Rock and Soul" CD set included.

Plus, these all new stereo extended mixes:

Get Ready - The Temptations [[new TM stereo extended mix)
    [[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need - The Miracles [[new TM extended stereo mix)
    A Place In The Sun - Stevie Wonder [[new TM extended stereo mix)
    The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game - The Marvelettes [[new TM extended stereo mix)

Question for TJ:

Will the album itself be made available for digital download at sites like ITunes, Amazon, and Rhapsody?

Thought I'd inquire about this.

Digital, no - we only license for physical cd's.

Just received my set today from Nashville Public Television 6 individual CDs each in its own jewel case. EXTENSIVE notes by Bill Dahl it will take me all evening to read them - Great Job TJ!

TJ:

Could you list all the new TM mixes for this set? The CD doesn't notate them [[as the Motown Box set did). Thanks.

JR

So, is this a continuing PBS Promotion? I see it was from November. Is it currently airing or airing again?

I dont need it.........but it still looks appealing and I'm not sure I could resist buying it.

If they had stuck a new version of some song like Remove This Doubt on it........I would be sold for sure.

Sorry for the delay in posting:

* are alternate stereo mixes we originally created for the orignal Stereo Motown Box that were not ready for issue at the time, mainly for deadline issues back in 2005. Most are unique to this release, all done by Tom. Some were issued on our TJL /treasurycollection.com "Rock, Pop and Soul" CD set, but have been touched up a bit on this package.

** Are all new mixes made by TM, exclusively for this collection.

hope this helps;
    - tj

1. Mickey's Monkey - The Miracles * [[extended stereo mix)
    2. Heatwave - Martha & The Vandellas * [[alternate stereo mix)
    3.The Way You Do The Things You Do - The Temptations * [[extended stereo mix)
    4. Something About You - The Four Tops * [[extended stereo mix)
    5. It's The Same Old Song - The Four Tops * [[extended stereo mix)
    6. Ain't That Pecular - Marvin Gaye * [[extended stereo mix)
    7. Get Ready - The Temptations ** [[new extended stereo mix)
    8. This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You) - The Isley Brothers * [[alternate extended stereo mix)
    9. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations * [[extended stereo mix, no strings version)
    10. Shake Me, Wake Me - The Four Tops * [[extended stereo mix)
    11. [[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need - The Miracles ** [[new extended stereo mix)
    12. A Place In The Sun - Stevie Wonder ** [[new alternate extended stereo mix - made to feel more like the mono version of this song with choral group type emphasis)
    13. Don't Mess With Bill - The Marvelettes * [[extended stereo mix)
    14. Bernadette - The Four Tops * [[extended stereo mix)
    15. 7-Rooms Of Gloom - The Four Tops * [[extended stereo mix)
    16. More Love - The Miracles * [[extended stereo mix)
    17. I Wish It Would Rain - The Temptations * [[extended stereo mix)
    18. I Second That Emotion - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles * [[extended stereo mix)
    19. The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game - The Marvelettes ** [[new extended stereo mix)
    20. Keep On Loving Me - Frances Nero * [[alternate extended stereo mix)

This set is exclusive to PBS for some time.

Thanks for posting TJ I will print this and keep it with the CDs!

As Mr. Lubinsky pointed out, these sets are licensed to promote PBS stations in the US. But I see no reason why you couldn't choose to donate to a PBS station and get the premium from the UK. The web site for KOCE [[Southern California PBS) shows this gift is available for a $150 donation to PBS.

On this screen, if you enter MOTOWN in the box after the jump in the screen, you'll see the various offers for the pledges involving this set:

https://www.callswithoutwalls.com/Pl...?projectID=246

I haven't seen the special yet, so I might wait till it airs again and go for the DVDs on this one.

Where can I buy this set [[without having to buy a load of DVD's I already have)?

Just been listening to Mr Moulton most fabulous remixes on this set which whilst retaining their heritage are just BURSTING with brilliance, I've said for years this man is the one who should be let loose on the task of remixing the Motown catalogue.
    Even though I have heard it a million times or more my most favourite Motown track ever This Old Heart Of Mine sounds just sooooo fresh, Eddie and David never sounded so good and it's very apparent how much Tom loves his Motown with the wonderful work he has put into these tunes.

I finally got the set and love it, especially the new extended mixes! Just to add more info to the list of mixes TJL posted:

The Miracles - Mickey's Monkey has an extended mix on the original Motown Box, but the new one is extended even further [[50 seconds longer with a cold ending!)

Martha & The Vandellas - Heatwave is the same length as the original Motown Box, but this one is mixed better than the old one. [[There's also a third extended mix on their Gold CD.)

Four Tops - It's The Same Old Song has an extended mix on the original Motown Box [[which goes on longer than the new one) but the new one is an alternate mix.

Four Tops - 7-Rooms Of Gloom is an extended stereo mix of the alternate mix that first appeared on their Fourever box set in mono. The new mix also has an extended instrumental intro.

The Marvelettes - The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game has an extended instrumental intro and unfaded ending, but sadly doesn't include the extra verse.

I also tried to figure out which extended mixes from the original Motown Box made it to this set and here's the ones I found:

Mary Wells - My Guy [[extended stereo mix)
    Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Loving [[extended stereo mix) [[it only has an extra "Baby I need your loving, got to have all your loving" at the end, so it's not really that extended.)
    The Temptations - My Girl [[extended stereo mix)
    Jr. Walker & The All Stars - Shotgun [[extended stereo mix)
    The Miracles - The Tracks Of My Tears [[extended stereo mix)
    Stevie Wonder - Uptight [[Everything's Alright)[[extended stereo mix)
    The Miracles - Going To A Go-Go [[extended stereo mix)
    Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted [[alternate spoken-word beginning, extended stereo mix)
    Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[extended stereo mix)

Late to the party [[is that a song title?) and inspired by comments on another thread, I sourced a copy of this set from a favourte EBay supplier where it was going for a song.
    To my delight it has arrived today and it's the 7 CD set new and still shrink wrapped. Sadly, lol, I'm gonna have to open it cos I'm dying to listen to it and read the CD notes.
    I assume "Every Little Bit Hurts" is mono rather than stereo?

The 7th CD is intriguing being one of the 20th Century Masters Millennium releases which I assume also includes different mixes. Other CDs in that series sound really good and, for example, The Marvelettes "When You're Young and In Love" has the spoken intro. Does there happen to be a list of the different mixes available on the 20th Century Masters series from a Motown perspective?

Is there any other source for obtaining the 3 sides from the 4th. disc:
    Kim Weston "Helpless"
    Brenda Holloway "Just Look What You`ve Done" and
    Marvelettes "Forever"
    I believe these are the only songs that are missing from the commercial CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Late to the party [[is that a song title?) and inspired by comments on another thread, I sourced a copy of this set from a favourte EBay supplier where it was going for a song.
    To my delight it has arrived today and it's the 7 CD set new and still shrink wrapped. Sadly, lol, I'm gonna have to open it cos I'm dying to listen to it and read the CD notes.
    I assume "Every Little Bit Hurts" is mono rather than stereo?

The 7th CD is intriguing being one of the 20th Century Masters Millennium releases which I assume also includes different mixes. Other CDs in that series sound really good and, for example, The Marvelettes "When You're Young and In Love" has the spoken intro. Does there happen to be a list of the different mixes available on the 20th Century Masters series from a Motown perspective?
    Other CDs in that series sound really good and, for example, The Marvelettes "When You're Young and In Love" has the spoken intro.

Where does the spoken intro WYYAIL appear mystery?

Good question Paul, and of course it isn't spoken but sung [[my bad). First the drum roll, then a cymbal crash then -t's "Young and in love, young and in love" then back to the usual. Only it all sounds fantastic and I just listened again. Not sure it ever sounded better.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Other CDs in that series sound really good and, for example, The Marvelettes "When You're Young and In Love" has the spoken intro.
    Where does the spoken intro WYYAIL appear mystery?
    Is the spoken intro version the same as the one that appeared on the “Forever More” collection

Yes "Forever More" has a spoken intro version - it's a bit like the one the Marvelettes 20th Century Masters Millennium release [[which has a sung intro) but with the addition of a spoken intro first. Obviously enough to confuse an OAP like me - but how many different versions of WYYAIL by The Marvelettes are there?

I was looking at buying this collection, but as I’m in the UK it’s shaping up to be about £100, even for a used set. It’s a shame because I would love to get my hands on these extended mixes. It would be good if they were available separately in some way, perhaps in a ‘Motown: The Extended Mixes’ type album. Something like a bit like the Philadelphia International Tom Moulton Remixes set.

Again, it looks like a really great set, but £100 for a collection of songs that I already own, just isn’t worth it for me, even with those extended mixes…
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-19-2022 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I was looking at buying this collection, but as I’m in the UK it’s shaping up to be about £100, even for a used set. It’s a shame because I would love to get my hands on these extended mixes. It would be good if they were available separately in some way, perhaps in a ‘Motown: The Extended Mixes’ type album. Something like a bit like the Philadelphia International Tom Moulton Remixes set.

Again, it looks like a really great set, but £100 for a collection of songs that I already own, just isn’t worth it for me, even with those extended mixes…
    Tom keep a good look out on EBay, for example, as I bought my set this month from a US CD dealer from £31.75 including postage - and it's the 7 disk set and brand new in shrink wrapping. But, of course beware as you could pay nearly that much for one volume. Good hunting.

Thanks mystery. And good find on your part!

Am I right in saying Disc 7 is Vol. 2 of the Millenium Collection ‘Best of Motown 70s’ CD…? That's this one…https://www.discogs.com/release/8639...1970s-Volume-2