[REMOVE ADS]

Any Brownstone fans out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkcQtFKUF48

Sure miss this group. Was very sad when it was no more.

One of its members Nicci Gilbert was featured on the reality TV show R&B Divas. After watching the show, I AM Not a fan of hers.

Never watched it. Just interested in the group.

Loved Brownstone ..

Nicci Gilbert, I believe, is a daughter of CLAY McMURRAY, the famed Motown song-writer/producer, who used to post here.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Loved Brownstone ..

Nicci Gilbert, I believe, is a daughter of CLAY McMURRAY, the famed Motown song-writer/producer, who used to post here.

Roger

Yes, she is his daughter. I have a few Brownstone discs. They were no En Vogue , SWV or Destiny's Child. They were just OK.

I think En Vogue knocked most out of the park in that time era. I did enjoy Brownstone, a lot, though. SWV, not so much. They all had their merits. Personal taste, I guess.

smark21 Guest
    The 90’s were almost as big an era for girl groups as the 60’s: Brownstone, En Vogue, Jade, SWV, Expose, Wilson Phillips, Destiny’s Child, Spice Girls, TLC, and others. I enjoyed some of Brownstone’s songs, especially Grapevyne and their cover of the Eagles’ I Can’t Tell You Why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9HG0nGe-g
    Good point, Smark....the 90's were a great era for girl groups. Always loved Jade's, "Dont Walk Away"....can it really be 20 years! Expose did some great songs, too. Where are the girl groups these days?

Never been a fan of Brownstone but I did like 5 Miles to empty and their cover of I Can't Tell You Why which I thought was a genius move by whoever produced them. Not to sound negative but I
    didn't get much pleasure out of most 90's girl groups...of course En Vogue killed there were some nice things done by a few others but to me there was just too little distinction and individuality among the groups. If you listen back in time, each group had a different recognisable sound . The Supremes didn't sound like the Marvelettes, The Chantels didn't sound like the Shirelles, The Cookies
    didn't sound like the Dixie Cups, etc. In the 90's some of the groups especially with the stylized
    instrumentation of the day sounded so much alike I lost track of who was who...

That depends on how you look at it. Brownstone didn't sound like TLC. Jade didn't sound like Envogue and Destiny's Child didn't sound like the Spice Girls. They all had their own distinct sound just as much as the 60's groups.

Yea, I guess if I had listened to more of each group's material I would agree with you. It's
    just that I heard very little that knocked me out enough to collect it. I liked En Vogue but I
    didn't buy any of their music either. As far as TLC was concerned nobody sounded like them
    although a few tried to bite their style like Blaque. Them I dug the mess outta, in fact I still
    have the vibe magazine with Left Eye on the cover after she passed away. Otherwise most
    of the girl groups of that era didn't make any change in the game, they just played, some well, some not as well. I never got The Spice Girls....Didn't do anything for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loZyFKJGxXc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLjyPBQk_Os

The 90's seemed to be a real 'hay day' for girl groups. I'd forgotten how many were out there then.
    Last edited by blueskies; 10-18-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    One of its members Nicci Gilbert was featured on the reality TV show R&B Divas. After watching the show, I AM Not a fan of hers.
    Hey Kamasu
    I felt the exact same way. She was not as supportive to the other cast members and had this heir that she was above them. And at times her attitude was STANK!

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Hey Kamasu
    I felt the exact same way. She was not as supportive to the other cast members and had this heir that she was above them. And at times her attitude was STANK!
    Exactly. Did you see the last show where she "forgot" to introduce Syleena at Essence Fest? She didn't forget. She had been beefing with Syleena for several shows. If Syleena said "up," Nicci would argue for down...just because.

smark21 Guest
    While there was certainly overlap in terms of the producers some of the R and B oriented 90s girl groups had which could create a certain homogeneity in the music, certainly one can tell the difference between the biggest groups of the era in terms of their sound. En Vogue were the most polished, TLC had the distinct voices of T Boz and Left Eye, SWV had the gospel yet nasal lead sound of Coko, Wilson Phillips had the California white girl harmonies, and Spice Girls were very pop, with shared leads on every song and they didn’t try to conceal their accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Exactly. Did you see the last show where she "forgot" to introduce Syleena at Essence Fest? She didn't forget. She had been beefing with Syleena for several shows. If Syleena said "up," Nicci would argue for down...just because.
    Kamasu I saw it. It's funny, I know Nicci have some pipes but she came out on the bottom vocally out of the 5 from what I heard from the program, she was FLAT. Now Keke showed out after all that whinning LOL. Brownstone put out some good product, but after seeing Nicci in action on R&B Divas, if that was any indication how she operated in the group, I can see why Brownstone is no longer together.