[REMOVE ADS]

Sky's the limit, the tempations

I was typing fast and misspelled Temptations in my subject line.
    Anyway, this LP was recently reissued in Japan. It's interesting album because it contains songs like Throw A Farewell Kiss and I'm The Exception to the Rule which had been previously recorded by The Velvelettes. Also Man and Unite the World, two songs that are rarely Anthologized. It would be the last Tempts studio LP to feature Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams, who does not appear to be on all of the tracks. A another one of its tracks- Smiling Faces Sometimes would be reworked by Norman Whitfield for the Undisputed Truth. The mix on Throw A Farewell Kiss is kind of odd. It seems like Dennis Edwards' vocal is buried underneath the instruments. Any other comments or fans of this album?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-14-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: spelling error

I have mixed highs and lows on this album. I was right disappointed with that stereo mix of "Unite the World" and I thought "Love Can Be Nothing.." was far too long. The 2 Velvelette covers were OK but didn't add to those previous versions.

However, there was "Smiling Faces Sometimes" which I consider a masterpiece and takes the album into one of my favourites solely for that track.

Not an album I would like to see done in a deluxe edition, my choice would be Psychedelic Shack.

Co-incidentally, I was looking through that Japanese web site that were issuing albums from the Atlantic era. I was looking for the Temps "Bareback" - but I wasn't able to see it there. This album seems to be one that is consistently ignored by the re-issuers

I toyed with buying this new Japanese cd edition. But they are expensive and on balance I think 'Sky's the limit' is just too patchy and weak. Instead I bought 'The Temptations sing Smokey'. I am rather frustrated the Japanese have chosen to skip releasing so many of the Temps glory days albums in favour of the early 70's titles which I don't particularly care for. I don't understand the rationale for this latest crop of Motown titles from Japan at all.

Interesting that you should bring up this L.P. at this point in time Kamasu.

I have a C.D. version of "Sky's The Limit" issued by Universal for the British/European market that bizarrely, as it sticks quite faithfully to the original cover-art, doesn't state the year of re-issue. Even more strangely neither the cover nor the disc-artwork mention that "Ball of Confusion" is included as a bonus-track on the release!!

Anyway, I gave the C.D. a spin the other day, any was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Previously I'd been 50/50 about it, and I'd thought their version of "Smiling Faces" was waaaaaaay to long and that the version by UNDISPUTED TRUTH was much better. This time around I saw "Smiling Faces" in a completely different light and it is currently a tune I HAVE to listen to two or three times a day!!

It does strike me, however, when I listen to the L.P. that Motown/Whitfield were using it to showcase the vocal talents of EDDIE KENDRICKS in preparation for him going solo as DENNIS EDWARDS is only really prominent on "Unite The World" and "Love Can Be Anything" with some of the tracks being virtually EDDIE KENDRICKS solos.

I've found THE TEMPTATIONS version of "Smiling Faces" on You-Tube, so here it is .....

Roger

I bought this CD a long, long time ago. Until it was mentioned on here, I hadn't even realised there was a bonus track of 'Ball of confusion'.

I've always preferred Norman Whitfield's change in the Temptations, to their earlier work.

Just my imagination is such a beautiful song, and the combination of the writers and the singers, with the musicians, make it one of the Temptations' best singles.

I'm the exception to the rule is a mighty fine recording - a very different style to other versions, but this is superior.

Man - is just a simple song - done with such finesse.

I recall 'ungena za ulimwengu' being a single here, but I don't remember it being played on either Radio Luxembourg or Radio 1.

The two long tracks 'Smiling faces sometimes' and 'love can be anything' are outstanding.

Overall - a brilliant LP. Yes, a 'deluxe' version would be fantastic. Not a 2 CD set crammed with outtakes or slightly different versions, but all the tracks which Norman recorded on the Temptations at this time, but were discarded for these 8 tracks on the released version.

But I'd also like to see extended / deluxe versions of 'All Directions', 'Masterpiece' and although we've had 1990 released, anything from that time, could be on the 'masterpiece collection.

I have the same cd re-issue roger and gordy mentioned and love it. It made sense to put Ball
    of Confusion on it as a bonus track because although the single tore up the streets of New York it was never on any album. We've discussed this release before, I remember noting the irony of the Tempts covering too Velvelettes songs just before they would acquire the
    husband of a Velvelette as one of their new lead singers....Aside, as much as I loved JMI
    and as big a hit as it became, Gonna Keep On Tryin Til I Win Your Love is my favorite Eddie
    led track on the album. That guitar rollicking under his tenor just knocked me the funk out.
    I had no idea at the time how much turmoil was going on with the group and you know what? I'm glad because my ignorance allowed me some sonic bliss. I wasn't crazy about Love Can Be Anything, it's rare that I complain about any piece of music being too long
    coming from a jazz fanatic [[ hey, I like the full version of Pharoah Sanders The Creator Has A
    Master Plan clocking in at over 30 minutes!) but in this case I agreed it could have used an edit.I have this duet fantasy of Dennis and Cal Street singing Throw A Farewell Kiss together.LOL!....

Which CD release included the bonus track. Was it the one issued through BMG on WL72743?

I have the later reissue [[1992) issued on 530-101 and that is just a straight reissue.Name:  530101b.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  43.8 KB

That one, booty. 530 101-2...Ball Of Confusion plays after the original album tracks are done...If you didn't want buy it all over again for that one track I'd suggest talking to a friend
    or checking your local library to see if they have a copy and then burn it....

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Which CD release included the bonus track. Was it the one issued through BMG on WL72743?

I have the later reissue [[1992) issued on 530-101 and that is just a straight reissue.Name:  530101b.jpg
    Well Booty .. the plot thickens, as that 530-101 release looks to be EXACTLY the one I have ..

Just to check that I'm not going insane I've got out the C.D. [[again) and it DOES include "Ball Of Confusion".

This is a scan of the disk itself, as you will see it is the U.K./European release as it has "MADE IN THE E.U." on the disc .. This comes up on my C.D. player display as having 9 tracks on it, whereas the L.P. artwork only lists 8, and track 9 is "Ball Of Confusion". Not that there appears to be ANY difference between what is on the original L.P. artwork and what is on the minimal artwork printed on the C.D.

Name:  skysthelimitcd.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  76.4 KB

Which brings up a number of possibilities .. such as ..

Only the U.K./Europe release had the bonus track and you have the U.S. release.

or ..

Only some of the C.Ds have the bonus track ..

or ..

It is there and you've never noticed.

or ..

I'm totally delusional. Eek! !

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post

I have the CD with this particular catalogue number, but the back covers looks different and the tracklist on it contains "Ball of confusion". The booklet and the CD also list the track. The CD is different than the one posted, its in pink with a blue M logo. Since I don`t a have a scanner I tried to find it on google but no luck. No mention about the country of manufacture but copyright is 1993. Two different CDs with the same catalogue number?

Quote Originally Posted by soulstevie View Post
    I have the CD with this particular catalogue number, but the back covers looks different and the tracklist on it contains "Ball of confusion". The booklet and the CD also list the track. The CD is different than the one posted, its in pink with a blue M logo. Since I don`t a have a scanner I tried to find it on google but no luck. No mention about the country of manufacture but copyright is 1993. Two different CDs with the same catalogue number?
    Interesting post soulstevie .. I have a few C.D.s with that pink design with the blue "M" and they are all U.K./Europe releases .. for example this one from MARTHA REEVES & THE VANDELLAS which was manufactured in France ..

Name:  martha and vandellas cd.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  79.8 KB

Perhaps the U.S. release didn't include the bonus track, the U.K./European one did and there was a mix-up with the artwork on one of the batches that were manufactured, with the U.S. artwork being used with the U.K./European disc?

Roger

Well Roger, that´s the design with one difference: Theres a silver ring of about 1,5 cm around the middle hole. And there I just found "Made in Germany". The Martha Reeves above is a reprint since it originally came out when Motown was still distributed by Ariola/RCA in Europe. Your picture shows a CD during the Polygram era.

Quote Originally Posted by soulstevie View Post
    Well Roger, that´s the design with one difference: Theres a silver ring of about 1,5 cm around the middle hole. And there I just found "Made in Germany". The Martha Reeves above is a reprint since it originally came out when Motown was still distributed by Ariola/RCA in Europe. Your picture shows a CD during the Polygram era.
    I think we might have cracked the mystery soulstevie .. I have C.D. versions of the "M.P.G." and "How Sweet It Is" LPs by MARVIN GAYE with that design [[also "Made in Germany") .... here is an example ..

Name:  how sweet it is cd.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  85.1 KB

Looking through my C.D.s it looks like ALL the "Pink with a Blue "M"" releases were U.K./European Polygram distributed releases. Presumably your copy of "Sky's The Limit" is a Polygram distributed one as well?

My "Sky's The Limit" C.D. makes no mention of Polygram at all and states it is a "Universal Music Company" release.

Presumably when the Polygram distribution deal for the U.K./Europe came to an end Universal decided to re-print the current Polygram release of "Sky's The Limit", and used the same art-work as on the U.S. release without realising that there was a bonus track on the U.K./European release.

Roger

I absolutely love the original album version of Unite The World. The lyrics, production, and Dennis Edwards vocals are superb.

It's rarely mentioned when people speak of great Temptations tracks, but, in my opinion, it's fantastic piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I think we might have cracked the mystery soulstevie .. I have C.D. versions of the "M.P.G." and "How Sweet It Is" LPs by MARVIN GAYE with that design [[also "Made in Germany") .... here is an example ..

Name:  how sweet it is cd.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  85.1 KB

Looking through my C.D.s it looks like ALL the "Pink with a Blue "M"" releases were U.K./European Polygram distributed releases. Presumably your copy of "Sky's The Limit" is a Polygram distributed one as well?

My "Sky's The Limit" C.D. makes no mention of Polygram at all and states it is a "Universal Music Company" release.

Presumably when the Polygram distribution deal for the U.K./Europe came to an end Universal decided to re-print the current Polygram release of "Sky's The Limit", and used the same art-work as on the U.S. release without realising that there was a bonus track on the U.K./European release.

Roger

Seems you`re right Roger. You get confused with the constant re-releasing of the same albums during the eras of the various owners. That has really improved. Universal now concentrates on Hip-O, additional stuff like the Smokey Robinson Solo line and very few selected things else.

I have a black & silver one with the big "M". First time I'm trying to upload an image, I hope it works...

Also made in germany.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Calvin ..
    It looks like that "Big M" design was standard for the U.K./European polygram releases, though the colours varied somewhat ..

I have a 1986 re-print of the "Masterpiece" L.P. that has a variation on the design you've posted ..

Name:  masterpiece cd.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  86.1 KB

Mind you, the Temptaholics here on SDF will have kittens when they see the photo that Polygram used to go with that particular C.D. release ..

Name:  masterpiece cd cover.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  97.6 KB

Roger

Just checked, I have the same one - silver background and black M - with the same mid 60s pic of the Tempts. I actually bought that one from a used cd shop in Germany, though it says on the CD "Made in France by PMDC".

Little known fact-smiling faces was to have been the temps next single,but after eddie left it was given to the undisputed truth.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Little known fact-smiling faces was to have been the temps next single,but after eddie left it was given to the undisputed truth.
    Another little known fact .. it did come out as a 45 in the U.K. a year later, in October 1972 [[TMG 832), as a belated follow up to their post-Eddie hit "Take A Look Around" .. it never hit though, and I can't recall it getting any airplay ..

http://www.45cat.com/record/tmg832

Roger