[REMOVE ADS]

Who Should Make a Tribute Album to Diana Ross

If you could choose between a legendary artist or a newcome rto do a tribute album to the great career of Diana Ross, who would be your choice? Also, what songs would be included? My pick from one of D.R.’s peers would probably be Barbra Streisand, as the two of them have been compared so many times. I’d really like to hear her take on Ross’s music. As for newcomers, there’s a new girl out there named Bri Heart, who sings many types of songs beautifully. I’d include songs from eras of D.R.’s career: The Supremes Through Every Day is a New Day.
    Last edited by Koach; 10-11-2012 at 07:51 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Brandon Flowers

The First Lady of Motown Records, Miss Martha Reeves would be my first choice.

I think she could really rework those Diane Ross classics yet put her own style in them.

Roberta

"Martha Reeves Yodels Diana Ross Classics!"

Beyonce & Rhianna

I'd pick Busta Rhymes.

Why not just take all the covers of songs artists have already done of her solo material and compile them? Such as...

Whitney Houston & Teddy Pendergrass - Hold Me aka In Your Arms
    Shirley Caesar - Reach Out And Touch [[Somebodys Hand)
    Vicki Carr - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    Andy Williams - Touch Me In The Morning
    5th Dimension - Love Hangover
    Aretha Franklin - It's My Turn
    The Braxtons - The Boss
    Mariah carey - Theme From Mahogany
    Amerie - I'm Coming Out
    Dottie West - Last Time I Saw Him
    Steps - Chain Reaction
    Julio Iglesias - When You Tell Me That You Love Me
    Club 69 - Muscles
    Mariah & Luther Vandross - Endless Love
    Valerie Simpson - Remember Me [[Demo)

Shantel Baker and Pearlie Salters

I think Randy Crawford could do it. She has a fantastic voice [[and I've never understood why she is so under-appreciated in the US). Saw her perform last year; unlike some of her peers, she has maintained her perfect voice.

What has diana done to deserve a tribute album???

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    What has diana done to deserve a tribute album???
    LOL.

I'd much rather see Diana just release an album of new material. Mary's should be out any day now; I believe it was mentioned October?

I always thought Diana covered Love Hangover after the 5th Dimension released it.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I always thought Diana covered Love Hangover after the 5th Dimension released it.
    Diana's was recorded and released first, but only as an album track. Once the Fifth Dimension put out their version, Motown released Diana's as a single.

How about Bettye LaVette! ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N78CJIT1RI

After giving this topic much thought, I came up with this off the wall suggestion. Diana Ross recordings are unique and a musical tribute trying to "recreate" the originals would be pointless. Perhaps a left field choice, at least in my opinion, would be having Macy Gray add her own unique spin to iconic Ross recordings.

While Macy may not be interested in such a project proposal, her upcoming release coming at the end of October is a tribute to the 40th anniversary of Stevie Wonder's "Talking Book" album. I must also add that Jody Watley did a very good version of "Love Hangover" a few years back and could also do a wonderful job.

I once heard a radio interview with Marianne Faithful stating that she rerecorded "As Tears Go By" some 40 years after she first sang it, because now she had the life experience to bring real emotion to the lyrics Mick Jaggar had written for her. I treasure a Lamont Dozier compact disc where he sings many of his iconic H-D-H era compositions, which feature stripped down arrangements. With this almost acoustic approach and the male voice, the songs take on an entirely new persona.

Most likely, Diana would prefer to look forward, rather than looking backwards in the rearview mirror of her life. However, imagine for a moment what she could bring to "Reflections," "My World Is Empty Without You," and "Where Did Our Love Go." revisiting the songs of her youth, but with the life wisdom she has gained.

That said, I usually feel disappointed with "cover tribute" albums. Maybe the reality is that you can't do justice to the music of the iconic voices - Billie, Aretha, Diana, etc.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 10-21-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more to ad

Good choice. Diana Ross is Macy Gray's idol.

Randy Crawford is a good suggestion. And I loved Erika Bydu's[[Sp?) Love Hangover on BET.