[REMOVE ADS]

COME TOGETHER; BLACK AMERICA SINGS THE SONGS OF LENNON & McCARTNEY

Another great compilation from ACE/KENT; This one celebrating soulful interpretations of songs by Beatles John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Once again, I discovered tracks I was not familiar with like Ticket To Ride by Wee Willie Walker, And I Love Her by the Vibrations and Back In the USSR by Chubby Checker. The liner notes are informative, mentioning a lot of tracks that didn't make the set. I would have preffered Aretha's Long And WINDING ROAD OVER LET IT BE. I also wonder how many soul or R&B acts had No. 1 hits with Beatles' songs. I can only think of Got To Get You Into My Life by Earth Wind & Fire.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-02-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I also wonder how many soul or R&B acts had No. 1 hits with Beatles' songs. I can only think of Got To Get You Into My Life by Earth Wind & Fire.
    I wonder how many R&B artists have issued Beatles covers as singles. "And I Love Him" by Esther Phillips. It didn't go to #1, but it got to #11 on the Billboard R&B singles chart.

Hi!

My favourite is Ray Charles' Yesterday.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I wonder how many R&B artists have issued Beatles covers as singles. "And I Love Him" by Esther Phillips. It didn't go to #1, but it got to #11 on the Billboard R&B singles chart.
    I wonder too. Probably too many to keep track of. I think Day Tripper by JJ Barnes might be one of the earliest soul covers. For a while, Mary Wells had the only Beatles tribute album, according to liner notes in Come Together. Heikki, I like Eleanor Rigby by Ray Charles.

my fave version of "Yesterday" is by Vicki Anderson & the JB's [[flip side of "Message from the Soul Sisters). Fave version of "Come Together" by Mary Wells, produced by Mary & Cecil Womack, recorded in Birmingham, for Jubilee on the unreleased "Love & Tranquility "LP[[title changed to "Come Together")& released on CD in about '95.

An alternative view : while I like the beatles a lot, I think that their music did not lend itself to soul styles at all, and I personally find this to be one of the poorest Kent CDs ever.

amithesameboy, i am so glad that all of the wonderful R&B singers who have covered their material over the years disagree with your opinion. as do I. ;-)

I've always liked Stevie Wonder's version of "We Can Work It Out". I heard it just today on satillite radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Amithesameboy View Post
    , I think that their music did not lend itself to soul styles at all.
    I don't think so, Amihesameboy. Personnally I've never been a Beatles fan [[always prefered the Rolling Stones) but I have to admit their catalog is one of the richest in music history.

That's the reason why so many artists covered their songs and I think this compilation is a brilliant idea. Here is one of my favorite Beatles covered song, Phil Flowers "I saw her standing there" :

To think I worked 21 years on a Liverpool based radio station and I did not like the Beatles at all, yes they wrote a Few good songs, but the best versions came from others which I did like, of course you can guess which came up on the play list more!

always loved Ike & Tina Turners version of all rock songs, including the Beatles "Come Together" & "Get Back" great LIVE routines by Tina & the Ikettes.

Today is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' single Love Me Do.

Come together is my fav from the beatles,but for the life of me i can't figure out what they're talking about!!