[REMOVE ADS]

Martha & The Vandellas 50th Anniversary

September 27th 1962.......I'll Have To Let Him Go hit the stores! Not so much of a success as it could have been....it was their second release that gave them the popularity they deserved. Martha and The Vandellas 50th anniversary this week and what great music has come from Martha during this time. Looking forward to more news on the Complete Singles Collection complete with unreleased material due sometime soon.....any more news on this Hip O Select!!! Thank you Martha for all the hard work and wonderful music you have given over this time

Quote Originally Posted by cheekylincs View Post
    September 27th 1962.......I'll Have To Let Him Go hit the stores! Not so much of a success as it could have been....it was their second release that gave them the popularity they deserved. Martha and The Vandellas 50th anniversary this week and what great music has come from Martha during this time. Looking forward to more news on the Complete Singles Collection complete with unreleased material due sometime soon.....any more news on this Hip O Select!!! Thank you Martha for all the hard work and wonderful music you have given over this time
    Wow, can't believe it's been 50 years. Martha Reeves is the First Lady of Motown Records and the face of that label. She's a proud, beautiful, dignified, intelligent woman who looks as good today as she did when she started out.

Miss Martha Reeves performs all over the world and is in demand everywhere. Her voice is stronger and better that it has ever been. God bless you Miss Martha. I love you so much.

Roberta.

Wow 50yrs,and martha still going strong[you go girl]i've always felt that martha and the vandellas were so soulful that they could have sung on[stax]just as easily as[motown]we love you martha and as you sang so soulfully-come and get these memories and you and the vandellas have given us fifty years worth of em to get...martha and the vandellas forever!!!

I think some props should also be given to Annette, Roz, Betty, Lois and Sandy, LOL!

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Mickey Stevenson sang with the other Vandellas on the track? The original version, I'm guessing the one Motown released [[and not the one listed on their Gold set), had more of a Mary Wells quality to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Wow, can't believe it's been 50 years. Martha Reeves is the First Lady of Motown Records and the face of that label. She's a proud, beautiful, dignified, intelligent woman who looks as good today as she did when she started out.

Miss Martha Reeves performs all over the world and is in demand everywhere. Her voice is stronger and better that it has ever been. God bless you Miss Martha. I love you so much.

Roberta.
    Roberta,

I second that emotion, er, notion.

Roberta,

Why do you always claim Martha as the First Lady of Motown Records when she wasn't or isn't? Martha as the face of Motown? Please explain, I don't understand.

Tyrone

Congratulations to Martha and all the Vandellas!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Roberta,

Why do you always claim Martha as the First Lady of Motown Records when she wasn't or isn't? Martha as the face of Motown? Please explain, I don't understand.

Tyrone
    Hey, we all have our favorites! Mine has always been Wanda, even though the Marvelettes were only briefly the #1 girl group at Motown. Even if Diane might be the only one who could really claim the title as the First Lady of Motown, nothing wrong with Roberta or anyone enjoying and lauding their faves.

Happy 50th Martha & the Vandellas, I hope they rerelease the Watchout album on CD that as well as Dance Party were two fabulous albums.

Yes Kenneth, that is true. I was just wondering, that's all. As a matter of fact, I do not consider Diana as the First Lady of Motown - perhaps Ray Singleton or Mabel John can wear that crown or Claudette Robinson.

Tyrone

"First Lady Of Motown" has a nice sound to it. Does anybody else refer to Martha by that title besides Roberta? The first lady of Motown of whom I was aware was Mary Wells. As far as I know, Martha is still based in Detroit, and as an ex-councillor the title is rather appropriate for her.

I believe Claudette considers herself the First Lady of Motown:

http://www.claudetterobinson.com/

Interesting question, which I have also had every time I read Roberta's posts. Outside of Roberta, I've never heard of anyone else calling Martha that. In the early sixties, I've always heard of Mary Wells being referred to as the First Lady of Motown. In recent years, I've heard many people referred to that way, including Diana and Claudette.

A Google search informed me that Berry Gordy affectionately dubbed Claudette as "The First Lady of Motown," for being the first female artist signed to Motown's first vocal group. I think Mabel John was the second.

For anyone around in the early sixties, we knew Mary Wells as the First Lady of Motown. She was the soloist with the big hits. Most of the other female singers then were part of groups including Martha, Gladys, Wanda, Claudette and Diana [[who was still unknown and a member of the No Hit Supremes).

In later years , after Mary Wells left Motown and became a non-person to Berry, and the Supremes became a super group; Mary's reference as First Lady of Motown seemed to fade away.

In later years, Diana seemed to often be called First Lady of Motown . Although I am a fan of Diana, Mary Wells will always be the First Lady of Motown to me and, probably, to all others of my generation, who enjoyed the Motown music of Martha & the Vandellas, The Miracles, Marvin Gaye, Mary Wells, the Marvelettes, and others.

As for Martha, she had been around for fifty years and is still recording. Congrats to her and a tip of the hat to Roberta for being such a strong fan of the lady. When Martha sings, I will always come and get those memories

I would venture to say that Martha Reeves does deserve the title First Lady of Motown. After all, she has pushed the Motown Sound and the Motown Museum in Detroit far longer than some of the other ladies, plus she still lives in Detroit. Some may say she earned the title by default! I remember reading one article where they deemed Diana the Queen of Motown and Martha the Princess of Motown. Well the queen has abdicated and the princess has taken over.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Roberta,

Tyrone
    Hello Tyrone, I call Miss Reeves The First Lady of Motown Records because I personally believe that is what Martha is. I love the lady and her voice. I have had the pleasure of meeting miss Reeves on more than one occasion and she's always real, real sweet to me and she send me autographed photos and has autographed her albums for me. When any documentary is made about Motown they always go to Miss Martha for a quote or interview. Her global hit Dancing in the Streets is the Motown sound IMO. Miss Reeves has been singing for more than 50 years and sound better today than any of her Motown contemporaries. Martha Reeves is a beautiful, classy, dignified, down to earth lady and a global icon and to me that makes her The First Lady of Motown Records.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Motown1050 View Post
    I would venture to say that Martha Reeves does deserve the title First Lady of Motown. After all, she has pushed the Motown Sound and the Motown Museum in Detroit far longer than some of the other ladies, plus she still lives in Detroit. Some may say she earned the title by default! I remember reading one article where they deemed Diana the Queen of Motown and Martha the Princess of Motown. Well the queen has abdicated and the princess has taken over.
    Tell it like it is Motown1050.

Bless you.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Hey, we all have our favorites! Mine has always been Wanda, even though the Marvelettes were only briefly the #1 girl group at Motown. Even if Diane might be the only one who could really claim the title as the First Lady of Motown, nothing wrong with Roberta or anyone enjoying and lauding their faves.
    Thank you Kenneth and God bless you dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Interesting question, which I have also had every time I read Roberta's posts. Outside of Roberta, I've never heard of anyone else calling Martha that. In the early sixties, I've always heard of Mary Wells being referred to as the First Lady of Motown. In recent years, I've heard many people referred to that way, including Diana and Claudette.

A Google search informed me that Berry Gordy affectionately dubbed Claudette as "The First Lady of Motown," for being the first female artist signed to Motown's first vocal group. I think Mabel John was the second.

For anyone around in the early sixties, we knew Mary Wells as the First Lady of Motown. She was the soloist with the big hits. Most of the other female singers then were part of groups including Martha, Gladys, Wanda, Claudette and Diana [[who was still unknown and a member of the No Hit Supremes).

In later years , after Mary Wells left Motown and became a non-person to Berry, and the Supremes became a super group; Mary's reference as First Lady of Motown seemed to fade away.

In later years, Diana seemed to often be called First Lady of Motown . Although I am a fan of Diana, Mary Wells will always be the First Lady of Motown to me and, probably, to all others of my generation, who enjoyed the Motown music of Martha & the Vandellas, The Miracles, Marvin Gaye, Mary Wells, the Marvelettes, and others.

As for Martha, she had been around for fifty years and is still recording. Congrats to her and a tip of the hat to Roberta for being such a strong fan of the lady. When Martha sings, I will always come and get those memories
    Bless you my dear Milven.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I believe Claudette considers herself the First Lady of Motown:

http://www.claudetterobinson.com/
    Her, Mary Wells [[who signed two years before Martha), Mable John, Johnnie Mae Matthews [[the founder of Northern Records and the one who helped Berry meet up with distributing labels for his early recordings with Tamla and Motown) or the Gordy sisters [[Esther, Anna and/or Gwen) would probably be the real "first ladies".

The Marvelettes were the first ladies of the early "Motown Sound" and Martha and the Vandellas were the first ladies of the "Motown Sound" that came after 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Hello Tyrone, I call Miss Reeves The First Lady of Motown Records because I personally believe that is what Martha is. I love the lady and her voice. I have had the pleasure of meeting miss Reeves on more than one occasion and she's always real, real sweet to me and she send me autographed photos and has autographed her albums for me. When any documentary is made about Motown they always go to Miss Martha for a quote or interview. Her global hit Dancing in the Streets is the Motown sound IMO. Miss Reeves has been singing for more than 50 years and sound better today than any of her Motown contemporaries. Martha Reeves is a beautiful, classy, dignified, down to earth lady and a global icon and to me that makes her The First Lady of Motown Records.

Roberta
    Mary Wells carried Motown for the first three years, which I think is just as important. Martha [[or Martha, Rosalind, Annette and Betty if we're gonna be politically incorrect about it) carried it for about that same time. Then Diana carried it for another three years before the Motown "Sound" was ditched altogether.

Is this set still on for release this year so I can add it to my xmas wish list?

I must confess that due to a few things in and out of my control, no, with apologies. The release has moved to early 2013, which remains the 50th anniversary - of the Vandellas' all-important first hit.

I will also let on that one of the "things" is a bit of serendipity that will enhance the overall package. Exciting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    I must confess that due to a few things in and out of my control, no, with apologies. The release has moved to early 2013, which remains the 50th anniversary - of the Vandellas' all-important first hit.

I will also let on that one of the "things" is a bit of serendipity that will enhance the overall package. Exciting stuff.
    I'm sure it will be well worth the wait, as are all the Hip-O sets.

I must confess i had to Google the word "serendipity", top answer was "Finding luck in unexpected places", this sounds very exciting!!!!!. Maybe hidden away in a very darkened corner was a tape box that said "Dancing in the Street" sung in German.
    Whatever the songs are going to be, it is going to be brilliant and even if it has been moved to early 2013, it is something to look forward to.

Can't imagine what it could be......throw us a line hwume and give us something to keep us going!

Quote Originally Posted by cheekylincs View Post
    Can't imagine what it could be......throw us a line hwume and give us something to keep us going!
    Could it be that the first recording of Dancing In The Street has been found - the one that allegedly the record button wasn't pressed!!!

I forget--did Kim Weston actually record Dancing in the Street?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I forget--did Kim Weston actually record Dancing in the Street?
    I believe she did but I've never seen it!!

If so Id think it would have been a great release on an anthology ...

Kim recorded it much later for Motorcity Records. I don' t recall reading that she ever recorded it while at Motown. But it would be great to hear it if she did.

Rumor has it that Kim turned it down in 1964, but Kim tells a different story that they handed the song over to Martha. Neither side has said that Kim actually recorded a version [[for Motown).

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Rumor has it that Kim turned it down in 1964, but Kim tells a different story that they handed the song over to Martha. Neither side has said that Kim actually recorded a version [[for Motown).
    Who first brought up that Kim was first giving the song?

Glad to hear of this set.

I hope it includes the correct mix of 'Never Leave Your Baby's Side'!

For those that have never heard the original mix, or forgotten what it sounded like, here it is [[stretched slightly by our very own Midnite Johnny) : -

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 10-31-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Reminds me of Youve Been In Love Too Long.