[REMOVE ADS]

Fox Theater Brooklyn

Anyone know where I can find out more about this old chitlin circuit venue ?
    I know it was used a lot by Murray the K for his big shows and that [[like many other similar venues) it was closed & pulled down towards the end of the 1960's.
    You get allsorts of info on shows at the Apollo in soul singers books but very little about the Fox.

Did it have its own in-house band that backed up visiting artists ?
    .... guess not as live shows were an infrequent event there.
    It was mainly used as a cinema, with live shows only being hosted there once in a while.
    How often did it host such shows & was this only because a ' touring package' had a New York slot but another ensemble was already booked into the Apollo ?
    There is quite a bit on-line about the theater's architecture & it's ownership, but little about the shows that played the theater [[apart from info on just about all of the Murray the K hosted events which were usually held twice a year).
    Anyone here actually attend any shows at the venue ?
    All help much appreciated.
    Attachment 5447

Yeah it went the way of most of the old, grand movie theaters across America. If I find something on it, I'll post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah it went the way of most of the old, grand movie theaters across America. If I find something on it, I'll post it here.
    I was a frequent visitor to the Brooklyn Fox Theater located on Flatbush avenue near Nevins St., I would hang outside the theater with my friend Alvin, one day in Sept of 1964, I went there to see Dusty Springfield who had Wishin and Hopin out she would not come downstairs to sign an autograph, I believe the Dovells the Tymes, The Supremes, Martha and The Vandellas, Milie Small and The Temptations were on the show. Rosalyn Ashford of the Vandellas came out to sign autographs from us kids, and no sooner after I got her autograph, Diane Ross came by with packages in her hand from nearby Fulton Street, I recognized her right away because I studied the Where Did Our Love Go picture sleeve, Baby Love had just been released, however Diane gave us autographs as well mine said
    Good Luck Diane Ross of the Supremes,. I eventually got in to see a show later that year I think it was the Thanksgiving Show, and they gave us The Shirelles Foolish Little Girl LP which I still have, I don't know much about the house band, but Murray the K was something else with his haaa vaa haaa vaaaeee . Now the location is the Con Edison payment center and yes I really miss the Brooklyn Fox Theater. That time I got autographs from Rosalyn Ashford and Diana Ross was the Fall 1964 Show. I think that was the show where there was trouble between The Supremes and The Vandellas because of the outfits, the gold lame pant suits the Vandellas already had that Diane may have in had in those bags for her group.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I was a frequent visitor to the Brooklyn Fox Theater located on Flatbush avenue near Nevins St., I would hang outside the theater with my friend Alvin, one day in Sept of 1964, I went there to see Dusty Springfield who had Wishin and Hopin out she would not come downstairs to sign an autograph, I believe the Dovells the Tymes, The Supremes, Martha and The Vandellas, Milie Small and The Temptations were on the show. Rosalyn Ashford of the Vandellas came out to sign autographs from us kids, and no sooner after I got her autograph, Diane Ross came by with packages in her hand from nearby Fulton Street, I recognized her right away because I studied the Where Did Our Love Go picture sleeve, Baby Love had just been released, however Diane gave us autographs as well mine said
    Good Luck Diane Ross of the Supremes,. I eventually got in to see a show later that year I think it was the Thanksgiving Show, and they gave us The Shirelles Foolish Little Girl LP which I still have, I don't know much about the house band, but Murray the K was something else with his haaa vaa haaa vaaaeee . Now the location is the Con Edison payment center and yes I really miss the Brooklyn Fox Theater. That time I got autographs from Rosalyn Ashford and Diana Ross was the Fall 1964 Show. I think that was the show where there was trouble between The Supremes and The Vandellas because of the outfits, the gold lame pant suits the Vandellas already had that Diane may have in had in those bags for her group.
    Fran, I know that area. It's not far from "Juniors" right?

yes, Juniors is two blocks up Flatbush avenue toward the Manhattan Bridge. But the Brooklyn Fox was the place to be for anyone who loved live music shows in the 1960's the nearby record stores always had the latest hits blarring outside the store to lure you in to buy.

cool memories, franjoy.....our American Soul stars ALWAYS had time for us fans and I hope all these johnny-come -lately Supreme & Diana fans take note that Diana even referred to herself as Diane back before they got too big.

Attachment 5452
    September 9, 1964 -- Murray the K's Big Holiday Show, Brooklyn Fox:
    Marvin Gaye, the Miracles, Martha & the Vandellas, the Supremes, the Contours, the Temptations, the Searchers, Dusty Springfield, Millie Small, Jay & the Americans, the Dovells, Little Anthony & the Imperials, the Shangri-Las, the Ronettes.

Late December, 1964--Murray the K's Christmas Show -- Brooklyn Fox:
    Chuck Jackson, Ben E. King, the Drifters, the Shirelles, Dick & Dee Dee, the Shangri-Las, Patti LaBelle & the Bluebells, the Vibrations, Dionne Warwick, the Zombies, the Nashville Teens, the Hullabaloos.

It was for the September show that Diane went out & bought outfits the same as Martha & the V's had been wearing .... naughty lady, it caused a stink BUT Diane just rang BG to get him on her side ..... devious cow !!!

thanks for posting this i may have been right the things that were in those bags, when Alvin and I got autographs from rosalyn first then Diane caused the fracass that set a terrible rivalry from The Supremes and Vandellas. wow. I don't see Mary in this picture i wonder where she was, and the Supremes Diane and Flo are not wearing the gold lame suits. That is the same hairdo diane had the upsweep when I got her autograph.

The Tempts, Marvin Gaye, and Dovells whom I had a crush on were the finest things on that show.

J. Smith do you have any more photos and dates from these Brooklyn Fox shows

Yes, I have both more photos & more Murray the K show dates & line-ups.
    The Fox Theater was a movie house most of the time, with live shows featuring only a few times each year. So the venue would not have had its own house band I guess.
    On those Murray the K shows, there were always 10 or so different acts [[pop + soul), I wonder which of the acts backing musicians go to play on these shows as I can't see it working if each act used its own musicians.
    From pictures of those shows, the band was badged up as Murray the K's band and was about 14/15 strong .... so I guess guys were selected from a few of the total number of musicians available.
    I'll post some more stuff later, but here's a start .........
    Attachment 5453

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    thanks for posting this i may have been right the things that were in those bags, when Alvin and I got autographs from rosalyn first then Diane caused the fracass that set a terrible rivalry from The Supremes and Vandellas. wow. I don't see Mary in this picture i wonder where she was, and the Supremes Diane and Flo are not wearing the gold lame suits. That is the same hairdo diane had the upsweep when I got her autograph.
    Fran, Mary is behind Murry the K and next to Diane.

smark21 Guest
    Good thread. Was there a theater in the Bronx that presented shows like the Fox in Brooklyn? Recently I went to a concert at the Paradise Theater on The Grand Concourse. The theater has been refurbished and restored and it was a beautiful venue for the show. I know in its heyday in the 20’s and 30’s it was one of the great movie palaces. Perhaps they had rock and r and b shows as well in the 50s and 60’s?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Yes, I have both more photos & more Murray the K show dates & line-ups.
    The Fox Theater was a movie house most of the time, with live shows featuring only a few times each year. So the venue would not have had its own house band I guess.
    On those Murray the K shows, there were always 10 or so different acts [[pop + soul), I wonder which of the acts backing musicians go to play on these shows as I can't see it working if each act used its own musicians.
    From pictures of those shows, the band was badged up as Murray the K's band and was about 14/15 strong .... so I guess guys were selected from a few of the total number of musicians available.
    I'll post some more stuff later, but here's a start .........
    Attachment 5453
    This brings back memories, this is probably photographed in the 50's I see the dinner Bickford's which is no longer there, and the thoroughfare is Flatbush Ave looking north and the nevins st. subway. Thank you much, maybe we should start a Brooklyn Fox Facebook Page.lol. with J.Smith as the information source PR.

Attachment 5455
    September 4, 1963 -- Murray the K's Holiday Revue, Brooklyn Fox:
    Ben E. King, Little Stevie Wonder, the Drifters, the Miracles, the Tymes, the Chiffons, Randy & the Rainbows, the Angels, Jan & Dean, the Ronettes, Jay & the Americans, Gene Pitney, the Dovells, Dionne Warwick, Dick & Dee Dee.

I was 14 years old that day [[4/9/63) -- just getting into soul recordings via the namechecks that the Beatles gave to the tracks they had covered and the artists they liked a lot.

Perhaps Caesar can recall some things about the show & post what he remembers about the theater, the other acts & how the show went on here.
    Last edited by jsmith; 10-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.

WOW!!! What memories. I used to attend all of those shows and @jsmith, I too was 14 years old that day [[4/4/63). I remember that we got to see the best of both worlds, soul and pop

Attachment 5463

The theater back in 1965. By all accounts, the record shop along the block [[right hand side of the picture) was well thought of by 45 buyers at the time.

The theater back in 1965. By all accounts, the record shop along the block [[right hand side of the picture) was well thought of by 45 buyers at the time.
    Could that possibly be Melody Records? I know it was located on Flatbush very close to the Brooklyn Fox. Melody Records dated way back to 78 rpms. The people that worked there were real music lovers and many of them went on to open their own successful music stores and music store chains, most of which survived til the download era arrived.

With the growing popularity of TV in the early to mid 60's; attendances at the Fox on an average night had slumped to around 100. The writing was on the wall, the theatre's 70 employees were given two weeks notice, and with the final film showing at the theater was 'Where the Spies Are' on Sunday, February 6, 1966. After that, the Fox ceased to be a moving picture theatre.
    The venue lingered in a kind of half-life for a brief span. Some rock-and-roll performances were staged there until April 1968, and later in 1968 the theatre was used by the Salmaggi Grand Opera Company. After a Humphrey for President rally that same year, the doors closed. For two years marquee letters spelled out "TEMPORARILY CLOSED: FOR RENT".
    The building was finally demolished in January 1971.

From the first photo above, it resembles a good deal the Fox Theatre in Detroit, which I'm happy to say was saved from the wrecking ball and completely restored by Mike Illitch of Little Caesar's. It's a fabulous venue, although I haven't been there since they showed movies like "99 Women" and "Big Bird Cage!"

The Fox Theater's were all part of a chain owned [[at one time) by the same guy.
    Guess he re-used the same architect's plans a few times.

The Fox Theater's were all part of a chain owned [[at one time) by the same guy.
    Guess he re-used the same architect's plans a few times.
    The theater was never the same once the shows stopped running.

What was the racial makeup of the audience since most of the shows featured soul & pop groups? The Uptown in Philly occasionally had a white group perform there. One such group stands out was the Mag Men who had a huge hit @ 1967 that landed them on the Battle of the Bands show. There were a smattering of white folks at the Uptown shows when I went. There was an old white man named Pops who was there all the time.

Yep....that was Melody Records. I know because that was my Dad's store and I worked there from 1962 until we had to close it when they tore down the Fox. I really appreciate the kind words, Milven. I got all choked up when I read what you wrote about us. Thanks.

Hi Mike, Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for the verification. Then your dad must be Leo. I don't remember him, but I remember your mom and and aunt and uncles and cousins [[and probably met you at your family functions - there have been a few sad ones in the last year). I sent that picture above to your step aunt and she verified that it was Melody.

You should be extremely proud of your family and that store. I may have been in that store, but don't remember. I remember the one that was on a corner of Flatbush and the final one that was just off Flatbush. But I have heard many stories about that store that went back to the 78 rpm days. How lucky the customers were to have people working in that store who who were so musically intelligent, that they eventually went on to create their own stores and chains. And it was in one of those stores that I was introduced to your family. Had I not walked into a drug store, that had a little record concessionin the back, to buy a record from your aunt; my life would have been entirely different and much less successful. That record concession - a descendant of your dad's store - eventually grew into a chain of record stores - and more. I am forever grateful to Melody Records, its descendants and your family for changing my life.

What happened to me so many years ago when, as a kid, I walked into a record shop to buy a record, could never happen if I was a kid today and downloaded my music from a computer.

Melody and your family served its customers well, and it is heartwarming to see them spoken so well of even now, so many decades later

Again, thanks to your family and Melody for changing my life and welcome to the forum. Please stay. Its an oasis of info for music lovers .
    Last edited by milven; 10-18-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    From the first photo above, it resembles a good deal the Fox Theatre in Detroit, which I'm happy to say was saved from the wrecking ball and completely restored by Mike Illitch of Little Caesar's. It's a fabulous venue, although I haven't been there since they showed movies like "99 Women" and "Big Bird Cage!"
    I spent many nights [[and dollars!). Enjoying great concerts at the Fox in Detroit.
    I hope to again in the near future.

Today's NY DAILY NEWS has an article about the Brooklyn Fox and other Brooklyn places pof entertainment back in the day

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1193282

Hello All
    First time I've had a chance to relax.
    We [[ THE ORIGINAL TYMES ) have very busy lately.
    We just finished THE MALT SHOPPE MEMORIES cruise.
    Had a ball, with a few artist from THE FOX days.
    All I can say is, those were the days.
    I first meet STEVE WONDER , JOHNNY MATHIS, TEMOTATIONS the list goes on.
    Murray The K, knew how to put a show together.
    Lately, I've meet some people that remember seeing us there.
    Lots of good times.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

testing Soulful Detroit