[REMOVE ADS]

New dvd is not Diana Ross,it's Diana Ross And The Supremes[[Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong

I just got my New Diana Ross dvd in the mail yesterday,to find out it's a Diana Ross And The Supremes[[Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong) Show from Paris 1968,they cut some songs out,and they also tryed to cut Mary and Cindy out too,[[but couldn't)I got a copy of this show maybe 10 years ago,my copy of the show is longer,then this new one,i don't like how they tryed to edit Mary and Cindy out of the dvd,dont be fooled by the cover,it's a Diana Ross And The Supremes Show,they should have left it[[show)alone,
    Please stay positive
    Last edited by REDHOT; 09-26-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Name:  sp4.jpg
Views: 4964
Size:  30.9 KB

Pretty bad image quality [[it was B&W tv in France in 1968...)

Name:  sp1.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  34.8 KB

But still... it brings back such good memories of seeing them live in 1968!

What do you mean they tried to cut Mary & Cindy out? Besides some songs missing it's a different edit somehow?

Redhot, this is not a fan or group of fans putting out the DVD. This is some company trying to make a profit.

Fans know all the details of who the Supremes were, although we might not always agree on who exactly is "in" and who is "out".

This DVD is being flogged to the public and for them, it makes little difference that is doesn't say "and the Supremes"; it was Diana Ross and some other girls.

It's just like Motown The Musical; there may not even be other "girls" in it; or at least not ones with names. At least Berry appears to have invited Mary Wilson to the Opening and it appears she will be going.

It is 50 years after the fact. Memories are slipping away.

Thanks for the screen caps. I thought it was to be in color? The quality doesn't appear to be any better than the youtube clips. But overall ok I guess, in the sense that it is a DVD of the Supremes live.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Redhot, this is not a fan or group of fans putting out the DVD. This is some company trying to make a profit.

Fans know all the details of who the Supremes were, although we might not always agree on who exactly is "in" and who is "out".

This DVD is being flogged to the public and for them, it makes little difference that is doesn't say "and the Supremes"; it was Diana Ross and some other girls.

It's just like Motown The Musical; there may not even be other "girls" in it; or at least not ones with names. At least Berry appears to have invited Mary Wilson to the Opening and it appears she will be going.

It is 50 years after the fact. Memories are slipping away.
    I don't think so, I happen to have this show given to me by my friend the late Philip Howell, the announcer is speaking in a french dialect and he announces the group as The Supremes with and Diana Ross. The show is fun filled and definetly a Supremes show with the focus on Miss Ross, however the Supremes were still a big part of this show, it may be 50 years later, but I don't remember the act without the Supremes at this point I will always remember who the Supremes were long before they were Called Diana Ross and THE SUPREMES.f

Interestingly, the cover on the DVD I received is different from the one pictured on Amazon [[and I bought it from Amazon). This one does mention "feat. THE SUPREMES"

Name:  sup paris 68.jpg
Views: 2941
Size:  91.5 KB

seems like the focus these days is on Ms. Ross and not the Supremes, and time is trying to erase their image, so we must keep reminding that it is not so.

The final cut on the DVD features French singer Claude Francois joining the Supremes to sing "I'll Be There." He sings the French version of the song as the Supremes sing the English words. This DVD is from a live broadcast on February 3, 1968, on the Claude Francois show.

Francois had a hit with a French language cover version of a Motown song: "Stop Au Nom De L'amour." You can probably guess the English title!

Claude Francois co-wrote and sang the song "Come d'Habitude" which was a huge hit in France. A cover version of the song, with English words, was released by Frank Sinatra. The English title: "My Way."

If you search for Claude Francois + Supremes on youtube you'll find several cuts from this DVD. You can also hear his "Stop Au Nom De L'amour" and "Comme d'Habitude."

He died in 1978 at the age of 39, accidentally electrocuted in his bathtub.

Name:  cf supremes 3 fev 68.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  41.8 KB

Les Supremes!

Name:  sp 5.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  36.9 KB

Sorry to hear that Claude Fancois has passed,you could tell that he loved The Supremes,at the end when he comes out to sang Reach out,i'll be there,you could tell he was having fun singing with The Supremes,Diana didn't know the words to Reach Out LOL,and i'm not puttin her down,i'v seen all The Supremes make a mistake here or there,
    Please stay positive

So it turns out that they do indeed say Diana Ross [[featuring the Supremes) on the DVD cover. So what exactly is the problem?

Diana didn't know the words, or was it more like Diana, Mary and Cindy were thrown off by the host rendition of the song?

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Sorry to hear that Claude Fancois has passed,you could tell that he loved The Supremes,at the end when he comes out to sang Reach out,i'll be there,you could tell he was having fun singing with The Supremes,Diana didn't know the words to Reach Out LOL,and i'm not puttin her down,i'v seen all The Supremes make a mistake here or there,
    Please stay positive
    Yeah, Claude Francois was great. He died in an accident in 1978. He was electrocuted in his bathtub. He recorded his on version of "Reach Out and Touch" [[ "J'Attendrai" ):

I've had this entire French Television appearance on the "Claude Francois Show" on VHS for years. The only memorable things about it is when they all claim to be the same age, "23" and the finale with Claude. Other than it, it was pretty run of the mill.

I just love that the French have always loved and cherished black artists. Watching several documentaries on Josephine Baker recently, it must have been exhilarating for black artists to be treated as equals in La Belle France. Still, it remains a lost dream for Diana, after living in Paris for an extended amount of time, to be unable to bring Josephine's life to the silver screen. As much as I enjoyed Lynn Whitfield, in the HBO movie, her portrayal only made me yearn to ponder how fabulous Diana would have been in that role. I got a chance to see Josephine in her final US tour in 1973. There were only 6 [[six) people in the audience....but like a trouper, she came out and did the show. It all seems so surreal now.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    seems like the focus these days is on Ms. Ross and not the Supremes, and time is trying to erase their image, so we must keep reminding that it is not so.
    Fran, that would be impossible! The Supremes image is now firmly rooted in pop culture and can never be erased now. But yeah, a little reminding can only be a good thing. I will not be buying this DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Fran, that would be impossible! The Supremes image is now firmly rooted in pop culture and can never be erased now. But yeah, a little reminding can only be a good thing. I will not be buying this DVD.
    I don't blame you, you are not missing much other than some great choreography from the group especially on Thoroughly Modern Millie, Mary and Cindy really move great, the vocals are turned down almost to a wimper, while Ross is heard like a loud speaker at maximum volume. Flo would have had a fit over this volume. I would truly love to see the Copa Show any year esp. 65, 66 or 67 on DVD but I guess the powers that be will not be showing this if it is even on film footage.

Here is a copy of the other DVD cover for this same DVD. This one is more accurate: