[REMOVE ADS]

The Detroit Free Press gives Bettye some love.

Oh this book definitely sounds like a HOT one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    I'm buying this book and the CD because I JUST HAVE TO. I read the Free Press article to my dad. He bent over with laughter over the line about Bettye knowing everybody in Detroit over 50 and she's seen 'em either drunk, nekkid or.broke and sometimes all three. He finds it interesting that Bettye offers different opinions on Ted White and Ike Turner and says most Detroiters knew there was a lot more to the Ted White/Aretha situation than she's admitted.. I wonder why my dad and Bettye never met? He says the church folk used to talk about the Whites and he'd be right there listening. It's a wonder my dad and Bettye never met. They both remember the old Detroit. My dad says he's only talked to Bettye once by phone but she was busy and told him to "slow your roll pardna" because he wanted to interview her about some forgotten matter. He said he wishes there was some Anthology of Bettye's early recordings that we could listen to while reading. Did Bettye ever get in touch with the estate of Ollie McLaughlin about her Karen recordings? Those are the ones my parents first bought.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-25-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Marv,

HOT doesn't begin to tell the story of Bettye's book! This is definitely going to be a MUST BUY.

Kamasu,

If you've grown tired of books that try to reinvent the wheel by white-washing facts as we've known them for decades, then this is the book for you. I've got a bunch of "autobiographies" which have altered reality to the point that I don't know why they bothered to write a book at all.

As for Bettye, she chose to go in the other direction & has penned a no-holds barred, take no prisoners approach. Bettye didn't throw a rock & try to hide her hands. And there's no question as to her honesty where I'm concerned, as Bettye also portrayed her OWN self in an honest light.

If there's any justice in the world, this book should be a best seller & those screams that you hear are the sounds of some whom have had the lights turned on & the covers pulled back, exposing some things that they likely wish weren't.

THIS is the book that I expected to read from a straight-shooter, pull no punches, survivor named Bettye LaVette! Having witnessed Bettye live & in living color, it couldn't have been written any other way!

Hey Kamasu
    We, and others, have tried to find Ira McLaughlin, to no avail. Those Karen songs cannot be re-issued with permission, and no one can find them to try to get them. B would LOVE to have them re-issued.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    I've got a bunch of "autobiographies" which have altered reality to the point that I don't know why they bothered to write a book at all.
    You're right Juice. There is ONE exception : "Rage To Survive", by Etta James [[and again David Ritz).