[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes Christmas songs Recordings?

Patricia, who is spearheading a movement to get The Marvelettes inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame posted a Facebook comment regarding how cool it would be if the group recorded an album of Christmas material. I got to thinking that if that had occurred, no doubt George Solomon would have discovered some tapes during his forays searching the legendary Tamla/Motown tape vault.

Then another thought struck me. Maybe The Marvelettes wouldn't have been interested in putting their soulful spin on traditional Christmas songs. They did nix the opportunity to record "Where Did Our Love Go." Maybe Berry Gordy might not have considered the release to have any commercial success, so the women were never given the opportunity to expand their scope. Ditto for Martha & The Vandellas.

Any other members of this site have any thoughts on this?

If I am not mistaken, the first Christmas lps Motown put out was in 64 or 65 and the Marv's had cooled considerably by then

RossHolloway Guest
    What year did the Miracles first Christmas LP come out? Was it 1963?

I don't think it was really their style but, if any Christmas recordings by the Marvelettes had indeed been given serious consideration, I suspect we would probably have heard just Gladys and/or Wanda, with The Andantes

What I'd have loved to hear would be some gospel style songs with the entire group and the Funk Brothers letting rip at full blast, led principally by Gladys, even if the voices of The Andantes were dubbed in, to create a fuller sound.

Alternatively, Wanda leading on tracks given similar productions as used on 'Don't Mess With Bill' & 'Hunter...', with a jazz flavour. 'You're The One' has a typically great Funk Brothers band track but, IMHO, those Smokey lyrics would have benefited from a lighter touch with the instruments. Wanda had subtle little ways with her voice, and would use a sigh or an intake of breath here and there, which could easily be missed, and needed to be showcased. Given the simplest of arrangements, she would have had no problem tackling Peggy Lee's 'Fever' ....

Yes Ross it was December 1963.

So that would make the Supremes the second to issue a Christmas lp? I don't really keep up with seasonal or broadway show tunes releases.

It would make sense for the Miracles to be the first since they were selling a lot of records by late 1963. I would have thought that Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells might have done some Christmas tunes as well

RossHolloway Guest
    I believe that Kim Weston also cut a Christmas track in 1963, and if I'm not mistaken Marvin did a live Christmas track, maybe from a performance at the Apollo also in '63.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I believe that Kim Weston also cut a Christmas track in 1963, and if I'm not mistaken Marvin did a live Christmas track, maybe from a performance at the Apollo also in '63.
    Kim Weston's "Wish You A Merry Christmas" was recorded in 1962, but not released until 1993.

Not the Marvelettes style I'm glad to say.