[REMOVE ADS]

no one ever mentions the commodores

is there something wrong with them.
    i know they fell between gaps with their style,never a "real" funk band.i really liked machine gun and caught in the act lps,hot on the tracks and movin on were ok.
    and zoom lp [[over here) commodores in the states.that was a good album,imo.
    i just wonered if there was an unwritten rule that we dont mention them.

I love the Commodores. This is Supremes spam forum here LMAO

so thats 2 of us then!

No there are more Commodores fans... I love them. There was a thread on the old forum that discussed Lionel Richie vs the Commodores [[Lionel solo vs group recordings). I wish Motown would release more the the albums on CD.

smark21 Guest
    I remember hearing in the mid to late 80's about the Commodores taking a gig in Sun City in apartheid South Africa back when the artists' boycott was in effect. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I posted a thread a while back about a Commodores reunion including Lionel. But I don't think the talk ever came to much. Is there anything pending regarding a reunion of the Commodores.

And Robbert is right..........I'm sure the thread got changed into something about why Diana needs to reunite with the Supremes, any Supremes, male Supremes, Mary and Cindy, whatever.

MissLish Guest
    Who or what are the Commodores?

I was involved in a discussion about country music the other day. I said my country collection consisted of Kenny Rogers, Jerry Reed, Johnny Lee & the Commodores.

The Commodores where on their way to supplanting a great many groups in my record collection and all of a sudden someone discovered Lionel Richie. Although I liked him in the early funkified days of the Commodores, when he started all of this Truly, Lovely, Countrified soul and pop within the group, I fell off in a big way. I still like and enjoy all of their stuff and some of his single material Like Love Can Find a Way but when he made Dancing on The Ceiling I dam near threw up.

Now Clyde and Company made a couple of decent albums and had some minor hits with Going to The Bank and Painted Picture [[which I treasure), hell most folks didn't even remember him singing lead on "Brickhouse"....go figure.....

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I love the Commodores. This is Supremes spam forum here LMAO
    True, hahaha
    Commodore's early stuff was great. Then they fell victim to the Placebo Syndrome. They even got bigger than EWF in the late 70's. But both bands at that time were watered down

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I remember hearing in the mid to late 80's about the Commodores taking a gig in Sun City in apartheid South Africa back when the artists' boycott was in effect. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
    There were a bunch of artists who did that lol I would've criticized them too lol

MissLish Guest
    Wasn't that Lionel Richie one of Miss Ross's song writers?

A band that was so much more than just ballads... It's a shame people tend to just think of them now as the group Lionel Richie left behind. They had the chops to pull off a wide variety of genres and make it seem natural. The post Richie material was good even though now people seem to think the only thing they put out was Nightshift...

Loved this cut.......

I loved them - I have all their albums up to and including Midnight Magic. Their early stuff is great but I started to lose interest when they went down that Wimp Rock route! Saw them on the Motown Legends tour last year with Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, The Miracles and Jr. Walker's All Stars. They were great - very funky!

So let's not mention em now..hehehehehe..i'm sorry i just don't like the commadores!!!

I like them. I just find them a bit boring after a while. The only Commodores album I can listen to all the way through is "Natural High".

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    Who or what are the Commodores?

MissLish - you continue to shock me.

i like the C's but i also remember when lionel was over-played on the radio with his solo music and i'm still recovering.

The Commodores were originally an instrumental band. I don't think they were intended to do lead vocals though they tried to do an album while with Motown during the early years. It wasn't until after "Machine Gun" came out in 1974 that Lionel Richie and Walt Orange traded lead vocals. While Lionel sung on the ballads [[and the occasional dancer like "Slippery When Wet"), it's Walt who sung "Brickhouse", which is as well known as "Three Times a Lady".

I don't quite get the criticism of their music, they were just as pop-leaning as a certain popular girl group and yet they don't get the respect here? LMAO! Maybe it's Lionel that's the reason many of y'all don't talk about them.

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    MissLish - you continue to shock me.

LOL! Well if that is the case, TopDiva, then Miss Lish is doing her job. LOL!

My favorite song during their Lionel years.

Ronald was my landlord a couple of years ago he told me how Diana ross co signed the original Commodores contract as witness,I gave him a copy of Posners "Motown" and Nelsons "Where Do Our Love Go" to read,he also told me he used to remember Russ Terrana hanging in the studio..he was a nice man hes done alright for himself he has several properties in New Zealand..