[REMOVE ADS]

Feature on the Dells, Record Collector magazine

Latest UK Record Collector magazine has a feature on the Dells to mark their retirement. 'Good bye to soul's greatest group', it's billed on the front. It's a good piece, too, by Garth Cartwright, who talked to Marvin, Chuck and Mickey in 2006 in connection with a book he was writing, and then topped it up with another interview with Chuck this year. A couple of irritating mistakes [['Melvin' for Marvin at one point; Ed Abner instead of Ewart), and no mention of my favourite Dells album, The Mighty Mighty Dells), but it's great for a British general interest music mag to feature such a great black group.

Soulwally,

Thank you for posting this, as The Dells have long been one of my most revered groups.

I'm happy to see The Dells acknowledged, yet so sad to read about the subject matter. For all the days of my life, there have been The Dells. When I was a little kid of 8 hearing "Stay In My Corner" [[never knowing that it was an updated version) & watching the adults grind to it & being amazed by Marvin holding THAT NOTE...to falling in love a relatively few years later with music of The Dells accompanying me, this is just a day that I never considered would come.

The line-up that most of us have grown-up with reformed in the year that I was born, which means that they've been a part of my life for all of my life. And having admired them for years before they began receiving a semblance of the acclaim that they so richly deserve, it was a thrill to have actually met them & to sit & talk music with them & to just hear them talk shop.

So, kudos the Record Collector Magazine for giving our Dells their props, while I understand it's not possible, I just wish that they were writing about the fellas taking one more bow, just one last time so that we can give them all of the applause & love that they so richly deserve.

Do you know how I may order this issue?

I agree with you Juice , be tis better they retire as a group than be advertised as one of those oldies groups with members that were not part of the original group. The Dell's are a institution , and deserve to be respected as such. "Stay" was a surprise to me as a remake also back in the day but both have stand the test of time. Memories oh those memories!!!!

The Dells music has also been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Each song brings back a specific memory. One that is special to me is "Give Your Baby A Standing Ovation". Loved it! I wished all of the Dells happiness and peace in their retirement. Sorry to see them go though.

Marv

Hi Juice, and everyone, here's a link to the relevant page on the RC website, with order details down the left-hand side.
    http://recordcollectormag.com/articl...is-like-it-was

Bettye and I were just listening to the Dells a week or so ago. I was playing a few tunes and she came in the office, sat down, and I kept skipping around the catalogue and we talked of their greatness.

Soulwally,

Thank you for that link. It's much appreciated!

Daddy,

I agree with you whole-heartedly. There's one thing about this that I can rest easy with & it's the fact that there will WILL NOT be 4 sets of "So & So's Dells" running around.

Marv,

I've said it from the day that I first walked through these doors & what I said was that The Dells were our national treasures. Having actually met them has done nothing to diminish my feelings about them. All of these years later, I still love The Dells & may God bless Marvin, Mickey, Chuck, Verne & their families.

K.K.,

I second that emotion!