[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Sly or Doris?

Sly or Doris?

Man I was listening to this and I started to grab a plate out of the cabinet and put a dollar in it and pass that sucker! They slammed this jam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQZNkzP4kYw

This must have been around the time he was dating Doris Day. You do know they were in a long term relationship, right?

Marv, you're kidding, right?
    That's gotta be one of the oldest bullshit rumours in popular music this side of Pam Grier and Rosey being cousins and
    James Brown being a woman. The lie was addressed in a recent, highly recommended bio of Sly, too...

http://books.google.com/books?id=i-R...%20day&f=false

It was a great cover, though...

Cover ??? Sly took that Pop ,bubbly " Oh well that's life ,hee hee" sounding song , and turned it into a straight up, "I don't know chile , shii happens" ,blues song. Right at the start with that gospel organ intro ,you feel like a sermon is comin. Sounds like Sly is testifying. Rose is outstanding on this track. I feel that Sly ,used the original words and structure of the song ,but with the music and the delivery of his version ,puts a whole new Funky feelin on it. This is one of my favorite cuts ,from the first time I heard it back when the album first came out. It is one of the last of Sly's [[with the "Family"), greatest recordings.
    This was from the "FRESH" lp. One of the best cuts on it.

I never did hear confirmation that Sly was actually dating Doris Day. Her son was a producer at Epic, Terry Melcher,
    and that is how they met. But it is soooooo hard to believe that they actually had a real relationship.

I still prefer the High Keyes 1963 version of the song over all others ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpqL4v3bfpI
    ... their version was covered in the UK by Geno Washington. Sly's ain't bad either, but I'll leave DD's version well alone.

Hey what's so hard to believe about sly an doris,she was a hott chick back in the day and i don't remember reading anything about her denying it!

Isn't she also old enough to be his mother?

Randy,randy,randy what am i gonna do with you son?? What in the world does age have to do with it,i'm younger than sly and i would've dated doris day back in the day she was fiiiiiiine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Marv, you're kidding, right?
    That's gotta be one of the oldest bullshit rumours in popular music this side of Pam Grier and Rosey being cousins and
    James Brown being a woman. The lie was addressed in a recent, highly recommended bio of Sly, too...

http://books.google.com/books?id=i-R...%20day&f=false

It was a great cover, though...
    I am not kidding you. That was a big story back in the 70's. They had such a big age difference. I'll see what I can find. It is an old story afterall. Also, I always thought Pam and Rosey were cousins.

pshark Guest
    It was actually Rev Ike & Doris Day. And together they created Morris Day.
    [[Anybody wanna buy a bridge)
    +=

It isn't just the age difference and yes I know that doesn't really matter, but someone asked why it would be so hard
    to believe. Also, they were very different people. His extensive drug use was no secret. I think in reality she was
    a lot like the person she played on the movie screen.
    Anyway, what an odd match!!!

This is what Jet Magazine said about it [[Sly Stone and Doris Day ) at the time: last paragraph, page 63

http://tinyurl.com/2aafggp

Also, according to Jet Magazine, Pam and Rosey Grier are cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is what Jet Magazine said about it [[Sly Stone and Doris Day ) at the time: last paragraph, page 63

http://tinyurl.com/2aafggp
    "The hottest rumor in the music world"...

"Further rumor is that we'll hear Doris singing a mind bending version of this on Sly's next album"

Rumors, rumors...

Marv, like I said if you were paying attention, I know it was an old popular rumour
    back in the 70's and I don't care if it was mulled over in Jet, Ebony, Sepia, Tan,
    Right On and mentioned on Tony Brown's Journal. That doesn't make it true. Did you
    even bother to check the link to the Sly Stone biography I posted which addresses
    quite clearly how that rumour started and mentions Doris's son?
    BTW, Pam Grier herself said she and Rosey are not cousins...

Splanky, I didn't write any of this stuff. I was just a teenager in those days. I was merely trying to show where I had heard these things. It is a blessing that I can even remember trivia from over 30 years ago. Thanks for clearing up these misconceptions.

Marv