[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Music of The Rolling Stones--where to start?

I’m reading Keith Richard’s autobiography and it’s great reading. I realized I’ve never really been into the Rolling Stones and maybe it’s time to add some Stones to my music collection. Right now all I have is Jumpin Jack Flash. Anything else you would recommend?

They've never been as consistent as the Beatles, so you could probably go with most of their albums right up until "Exile On Main Street". After that, it gets real spotty and uneven. I've personally had to cherry pick through most of their catalog since I can't get with their hollow sound. But like I said, mostly anything up to Exile should do you just fine.

Agreed on the spottiness after Exile. And Exile, although iconic, has a very muddy sound. 12 X 5 and Beggar's Banquet are 2 of my favorites. Aftermath and Let It Bleed are pretty consistent.

Forty Licks double CD is a good overview. The Some Girls album is mostly good. I like the 60s albums best though.

smark21 Guest
    Thanks for the suggestions. This morning I bought Hot Rocks a greatest hits collection spanning 64-71. Seems like a good place to start. The Keith Richards autobiography is an excellent book and well worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. This morning I bought Hot Rocks a greatest hits collection spanning 64-71. Seems like a good place to start. The Keith Richards autobiography is an excellent book and well worth reading.
    Heard that he dishes out some mean s**t about Mick Jagger.

I can't remember the title, but I read bassist Bill Wyman's book on his years with the band. It was quite good.