[REMOVE ADS]

phillysound cats outside productions

Hello, Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose!!

As a Phillysound fanatic I am, finally and grace to the book that accompanied the 40th PIR Anniversary box set, I knows the complete [[or about complete) PIR & associate labels discography.

Another thing equally or more important is the OUTSIDE PRODUCTIONS by G & H, Thom Bell, Baker-Harris-Young, Bobby Eli, Vincent Montana, Bobby Martin, Richard Rome. I wonder if there is a document, book, web,... that compiles those enormous and diverse "unofficial" Phillysound. From many years ago, I knows those cats have produced a host of jazz, gospel, funk, disco, rock, soul and pop acts [[lola Falana, Elthon John, Fania All Stars, B.B. Kind, John Handy, Stanley Turrentine Dee dee Bridgewater, Nancy Wilson, Wilson Pickett, laura Nyro, Spinners, Cuck Mangione, Grady tate, Astrud Gilberto, Sister Sledge, Sons Of Robin Stone, Deniece Williams, barbara Mason, Eddie Holman, First Choice, Blue Magic, Impact, temptations, Jimmy Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Galdys Knight & The Pips, Gabor Szabo, Jean Knight, Bobby Hebb, Freddie Scott, Keith Barrow, Engelbert Umperdink, Jackie Moore, melba Moore, Sweet Inspirations, Dee Dee & Dionne Warwick, Stylistics, Philly Devotions, Whispers, Black Ivory, Touch Of Class, Friends Of Distinction, Continental Four, Black Sugar, Goody Goody, Cecil parker, Joanna Gardner, Eugene Wilde, Cashmere, Loleatta Hollowway, Carol Williams, Salsoul orchestra, Salsoul Strings, Tradewinds, Night people, Mighty Clouds Of Joy, Four Tops, Curtis Mayfield, Linda Clifford, Mystique, True Reflection, South Shore Commission, Dusty Springfiled, Bee Gees, barbara Streisand, LTD, Atlantic Starr, Rose Royce, Ultra High Frequency, Quikest way Out, Broadway Express, Troy, tapestry, Crusaders, Billy Bass, Ben Aiken, Delfonics, Johnny Mathis, Showstoppers, Brenda & The Tabulations, Sharon McMahan, Charen Cotten, Dianne Steinberg, ecstassy passion & Pain, the Intrigues, The Persuaders, Little Anthony & The Imperials, I-Threes, The Wailers,, Holly Maxwell, The Dells, Gentle persuassion, Charles Mann, Ronnie Dyson, Clyde McPhatter, Ben E. King, Major Harris, Margie Joseph, Doris Troy, Betty Swann, Anacostia, Mondo grosso, vivian Reed, Movin Violation, Lavenders, Pattie & The Emblems,...)

I think were interessant to made a exhaustive list with those philly productions by any one of the different philly-cats [[produced - writing and or arranged by - list). I consider essential from a phillysound lover point of view. Any one can approving some info? Thanks in advance.

Cheers to all

Another time, the automatic "corrector"! I should to have write "Any one can apporting [[do not "approving") some info"...

For example, I knows those Philly Cats outside productions [[before, simultaneously and, some of them, after left the PIR family):

- Gamble & Huff: Soul Survivors [[for Crimson); Patti & The Emblems [[?); The Lavenders [[?); Danny & The Juniors [[?); Dee Dee Warwick [[?); Sweet Inspirations, Archie Bell & The Drells, Wilson Pickett, Temptations and Dusty Springfield [[Atlantic); Joe Simon [[Spring); Jerry Butler [[Mercury), Chambers Brothers [[Columbia);...

- Norman Harris: Whispers and Grady Tate [[for Janus); Eddie Kendricks [[Motown); First Choice, Loleatta Holloway, Double Exposure, First Choice [[for his own label Gold Mind and for Salsoul); Four Tops [[ABC); Blue Magic [[WMOT);...

- Thom Bell: Chubby Checker [[Cameo); Delfonics [[Cameo & Philly Groove); Johnny Mathis and Ronnie Dyson [[Columbia); Dionne Warwick [[WB); Deniece Williams [[?); Eloise laws [[?); Dee Dee Bridgewater [[Atco); Spinners [[Atlantic); Stylistics [[Avco Embassy);...

- Bobby Martin: LTD [[A&M); Manhattans [[Columbia); Intrigues [[?); Etta James [[?); Tavares [[?); Ecstasy, passion & Pain [[Roulette);...

- Bunny Sigler: Curtis Mayfield, Linda Clifford, Mystique; Bunny Sigler & Barbara Mason [[for Curtom); The Pips [[Casablanca); Gabor Szabo [[?); South Shore Commission [[Scepter);...

- Richard Rome: Tymes [[RCA); Chi-lites [[Brunswick); Ritchie Family [[?);

- Bobby Eli: Major Harris, Blue Magic, [[Atco); Eli's Second Coming [[TK); Atlantic Starr [[A&M);...

- Vincent Montana, Jr.: Fania All-Stars [[Fania); Salsoul Orchestra, Charo, Carol Williams [[Salsoul); Montana, Cecil Parker, Goody Goody [[PSW); Brown Sugar [[Atco);...

A few acts/tracks I can think of that you've missed Manny are ..

ODDS & ENDS - "Yesterday My Love" on Today .. written/produced by Thom Bell & Bobby Martin ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cur9DKtppvw

L.J.REYNOLDS & CHOCOLATE SYRUP - "Whats The Matter Baby" on Lawton, produced by Bobby Martin ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnh590yJ3P4

IMPACT - "Happy Man" on Atco[[Atlantic in the U.K.) - Producued by BOBBY ELI ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAZNCoNGf3I

Roger

Many thanks, Roger!

Some of these acts I knows before but I forget it. I have some tracks by Black Ivory and Impact on "Créme de la Créme, vol. 2" Atco compilation by various artists. In fact, in the case of Bobby Martin its so hard to find some artist or group that he don't have work whit [[producing and or songwriting, arranging, playing vibes,... Bobby Martin is perhaps the most prolific in the Philly family).

Some others I forget to mention:
    - Gamble & Huff Lp by Nancy Wilson [[Capitol?)
    - Dexter Wansel producing Carl Carlton, Margie Joseph and Grover Washington Jr.
    - Bobby Eli producing Jackie Moore, Engelbert Umperdink, Lola Falana, Sons Of Robin Stone, Rose Royce, Jean Knight, John Handy, Booker Newberry III
    - McFadden & Whitehead producing Melba Moore [[Buddah & Capitol)
    - Norman Harris producing Soul Train Gang, Wllie Wooten;

... and more later...

Cheers to all!

It was mentioned not too long ago on Facebook that the Nancy Wilson LP produced by Gamble & Huff is entitled "I'm a Woman".

After I'd heard about it, I mentioned that I'd most certainly like to hear it...I'll have to find out if a CD exists.

Best,

Mark

Now I'm A Woman by Nancy Wilson is not on cd.
    A few tracks have been released on the Nancy Wilson - Anthology from 2000 which you can find quite cheap at Amazon.com when you buy it from a seller /used.

I downloaded it some years ago from a spanish blog [[I knows this is "illegal"...). The quality of the sound is very bad and finally I destroyed the mp3's. But there is some standard as "Bridge..." by Simon & Garfunkel, a cover of Billy Paul's "Let's Fallin In Love All Over Again" [[*) and a precious one, the original [[*) of "Lonely, Loney" that The Intruders covered on "Energy Of Love" 1975 album.

In a recent interview with Kenny Gamble I saw on the net, he says that the two LP's he is most proud to have co-produced with Huff are Nancy Wilson's "I'm Now A Woman" and Lou Rawls "Unmistakably Lou", perhaps the most jazzy ones on the entire PIR and outside productions catalogue [[according to the fact that Thad Jones- Mel Lewis album is self-produced with a little hand by Bobby Martin and Monk Montgomery's "Reallity" is more funk).
    That's a demonstration of the natural utterance for Jazz by Kenny Gamble...

[[*) I'm not sure if "Let Fall In Love..." is original from Billy Paul "Feeling Good At The Cadillac Club" album or by Gail Anderosn's 45 of the same title, both on the Gamble label. I recall to have seen this same 45 on another rare label, also produced by Bobby Martin, before Gamble records was launched, but not totally sure...
    Last edited by manny; 09-28-2012 at 08:56 AM.