[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Scherrie and Susaye "Partners"

I have recently rediscovered this gem. IMO it was WAY ahead of it's time. I am truly LOVING "I Found Another Love" [[why wasn't this released as a single?) and "Another Life From Now". Scherrie works the HELL out of "ALFM"; at times, I swear I am listening to Jennifer Holiday. Very "I Am Love"-esque.

Anyway, to my questions:

Does anyone know who the male voice is on "Another Life From Now"? [[forgive me if this has been answered before).

Also: being as Joyce Wilson lent her vocals to some of the songs, were these recording done when Joyce was in consideration to replace Mary Wilson?

Lastly: does anyone have any further information on Kathy Collier or Vennette Gould or Carmen Twillie, the three other ladies that lent their vocals to this album? Outside of Kathy and Venette working together on Tata Vega's "Full Speed Ahead" album, Kathy working on a Jennifer Batten album, and Vennette working on an Elton John album, it looks like Carmen has had the most success, as a singer and actress.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I have recently rediscovered this gem. IMO it was WAY ahead of it's time. I am truly LOVING "I Found Another Love" [[why wasn't this released as a single?) and "Another Life From Now". Scherrie works the HELL out of "ALFM"; at times, I swear I am listening to Jennifer Holiday. Very "I Am Love"-esque.

Anyway, to my questions:

Does anyone know who the male voice is on "Another Life From Now"? [[forgive me if this has been answered before).

Also: being as Joyce Wilson lent her vocals to some of the songs, were these recording done when Joyce was in consideration to replace Mary Wilson?

Lastly: does anyone have any further information on Kathy Collier or Vennette Gould or Carmen Twillie, the three other ladies that lent their vocals to this album? Outside of Kathy and Venette working together on Tata Vega's "Full Speed Ahead" album, Kathy working on a Jennifer Batten album, and Vennette working on an Elton John album, it looks like Carmen has had the most success, as a singer and actress.
    I too always thought this LP was years ahead of its time. I believe I read, the male voice on Another Life was Eugene McDaniels. But I'm not really sure. It's been a long time. Joyce Vincent's contributions were done after Dawn and Tony Orlando had disbanded. But I think she had already been considered as Mary Wilson's replacement by the time the Partners sessions took place. Maybe Susaye Greene can clarify. I also agree Carmen Twillie's name is more familiar as a session singer. I hope this album gets reissued, if not by Universal/ Motown, then by SoulMusic.com, which seems to like these kinds of lost gems.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-07-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Would be grate if this got a CD release. I remember hearing some of the tracks when the album was first released in the UK but never purchased it.

Thanks Kamasu and master.

Of all things, I found a CASSETTE tape of this over the weekend ; .49 at the Goodwill. Best .49 I've spent in a long time.

I wonder if this had come out a few years later, when the Mary Jane Girls and Klymaxx were hitting, if this album wouldn't have hit also.

It's hard to dispute the talents of Scherrie and Susaye. The material was there; is it the "same old song" of lack of promotion? Make one wonder: if this would reached it's fullest potential, would there have been a "Partners II"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I too always thought this LP was years ahead of its time. I believe I read, the male voice on Another Life was Eugene McDaniels. But I'm not really sure. It's been a long time. Joyce Vincent's contributions were done after Dawn and Tony Orlando had disbanded. But I think she had already been considered as Mary Wilson's replacement by the time the Partners sessions took place. Maybe Susaye Greene can clarify. I also agree Carmen Twillie's name is more familiar as a session singer. I hope this album gets reissued, if not be Motown, then by SoulMusic.com, which seems to like these kinds of lost gems.
    I wonder if this is the same [[Eu)Gene McDaniels. Looks as though he passed last year.....

http://genemcdaniels.com/

It is always so easy to blame things on lack of promotion. I'd be curious to know how many female duos have had commercial success in the record business [[Heart comes to mind). What is the track record? Also, was it a good idea to market basically what was left of the Supremes as just a duo? There was barely any interest in the last lineup. Why would Motown believe that there would be interest in this project- instead of getting behind these talented ladies as individual, solo artist.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 09-06-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Timing is critical in the music industry; you need the right sound and the right look at the right time. When you don't have it all together at the right moment, it won't happen.

There are many talented people around and all the promotion in the world won't result in very many of them turning into Justin Bieber.

The common fall back is there was no promotion, poor management, egos, drugs, abusive partners.

But when the talent, the timing, the sound isn't all there at the right time.........you end up where most of the world ends up..........you tried and you didn't hit the big time, but it was fun trying.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    It is always so easy to blame things on lack of promotion. I'd be curious to know how many female duos have had commercial success in the record business [[Heart comes to mind). What is the track record? Also, was it a good idea to market basically what was left of the Supremes as just a duo? There was barely any interest in the last lineup. Why would Motown believe that there would be interest in this project- instead of getting behind these talented ladies as individual, solo artist.
    You're probably right, but I do question: WAS there any promotion by Motown? I know Scherrie and Susaye performed as a duo on Merv, but other than that? Was the LP reviewed in Rolling Stone? Any ads in Cashbox or Billboard [[or whatever 'zines were around at the time)? Did Scherrie and Susaye perform in concert? [[How I'd love to see that.....even now!)

As far as famous female duos, off the top of my head, I came up with the Judds. I did have to cheat and did a little Google search and also came up with a Taste of Honey.

Regardless, I think it's an amazing release, worthy of a re-issue. IMO it certainly is another chapter in "the story".

Maybe Susaye will give us the story.

But I believe it was always said there was a change of heart about issuing this album. I'm sure there was no Rolling Stone review and I don't recall any ads in the trades.

As far as famous female duos, off the top of my head, I came up with the Judds. I did have to cheat and did a little Google search and also came up with a Taste of Honey.
    Don't forget about The Weather Girls [[aka Two Tons Of Fun)

When Partners was released, J & R Music placed it right in the front of the store with all the other best selling albums of the day. I thought I was going to have to look in some obscure bin for it at the store and remember being pleasantly surprised to see it so prominently displayed.
    A few months later I was in San Francisco and Scherrie was playing an afternoon Sunday tea dance at the Troc and she did some of the songs from the LP sung live to backing instrumental tracks.

I had to ask my source [[Good ol' Motown Fan) about Partners. He says there was promotion done by Motown in the form of ads placed in national magazines. There were reviews [[mostly raves) in several magazines, SOUL being one of them. It was nationally distributed at the time. There were articles in Sepia and Blues & Soul magazines. Motown Fan still has the article from Blues & Soul. Lots of promo copies were mailed to radio stations and record stores. Motown Fan bought his promo copy from a record store. He was surprised to hear "Leaving Me Was the Best Thing..".played on a small radio station in Farrell, PA.. Scherrie & Susaye didn't do a lot of TV shows, but the record was promoted.

Thanks Kamasu and master.

Of all things, I found a CASSETTE tape of this over the weekend ; .49 at the Goodwill. Best .49 I've spent in a long time.

I wonder if this had come out a few years later, when the Mary Jane Girls and Klymaxx were hitting, if this album wouldn't have hit also.

It's hard to dispute the talents of Scherrie and Susaye. The material was there; is it the "same old song" of lack of promotion? Make one wonder: if this would reached it's fullest potential, would there have been a "Partners II"?
    There was a total lack of promotion AND distribution with distribution being a big factor in my opinion. You could not find that album anywhere in my area [[Detroit Metro) at the time of it's release. I found a sealed copy of it later but I can't remember where now.

I wonder if this is the same [[Eu)Gene McDaniels. Looks as though he passed last year.....

http://genemcdaniels.com/
    Yes the Gene Daniels that was famous for the hit, "A 100 Pounds of Clay" from '61.

You're probably right, but I do question: WAS there any promotion by Motown? I know Scherrie and Susaye performed as a duo on Merv, but other than that? Was the LP reviewed in Rolling Stone? Any ads in Cashbox or Billboard [[or whatever 'zines were around at the time)? Did Scherrie and Susaye perform in concert? [[How I'd love to see that.....even now!)

Motown did not promote that album in any identifiable way that I remember. Scherrie and Susaye performed at least one of the songs "Leaving Me Was the Best Thing You've Ever Done" on the Mike Douglas Show [[incidentially, Mary Wilson had debuted her single "Red Hot" on the same program in the Fall of 1979.). The album was reviewed in the Michigan Chronicle and the Black Collegiate Magazine as I recall. There were no concerts to my knowledge. Female duos? Mel & Kim come to mind and Salt & Pepa although Spinderella may take issue with that! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Don't forget about The Weather Girls [[aka Two Tons Of Fun)
    or Zhane! The were pretty popular in the mid-90's and also on Motown.

smark21 Guest
    Though not a pop or r & b act, the Indigo Girls are another female duo with a long lasting career.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Though not a pop or r & b act, the Indigo Girls are another female duo with a long lasting career.
    They were very popular too and had a good following.

Wikipedia suggests "Partners" was planned as a Supremes release with Joyce Vincent -Wilson as a candidate to replace Mary Wilson. When this didn't happen perhaps Motown decided that the album was still worthy of release by the duo [[although Joyce was used for backing vocals). I remember a promotional interview with both Scherrie and Susaye in Blues and Soul at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Wikipedia suggests "Partners" was planned as a Supremes release with Joyce Vincent -Wilson as a candidate to replace Mary Wilson.
    Furthermore, If this is the case then it should be re-released to compliment the reissue of the two box sets i.e "This is the Story" and "Let Yourself Go".

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Wikipedia suggests "Partners" was planned as a Supremes release with Joyce Vincent -Wilson as a candidate to replace Mary Wilson. When this didn't happen perhaps Motown decided that the album was still worthy of release by the duo [[although Joyce was used for backing vocals). I remember a promotional interview with both Scherrie and Susaye in Blues and Soul at the time.
    Good information MasterBlaster: I took a look at the promotional interview with S&S from Blues & Soul. There was a picture too. There was some promotion done for the record. What record company [[a business) like Motown would spend money on making a record and not promote it? It doesn't make sense. I've seen 12 inch singles for Leaving Me...and 7 inch promo copies of the same record. These were obviously intended for radio DJ and dance club promotion.
    My dad did not live in a major city in 1979 but he had no trouble finding Partners. He bought a promotional copy for less than a buck. And he said the record store owner [[it was a small, independent shop) was not sure about Partners and didn't know if it would sell. But he did order a few more copies just because my dad bought the promo and told him who Scherrie & Susaye were. All of those copies sold because my dad checked. I read somewhere that Partners allegedly sold between 50,000 and 60,000 copies even with "limited" promotion. If true, that's still a lot of records. Still Partners did end up in the cut-out bins and my dad bought more copies.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.

There were rumours that it sold 5 or 6 times more than that as well.

Partners probably got caught up in the time when Mary Wilson went to Diana about the Supremes and Diana agreed that if there were no original members in the group, it should be allowed to die and Berry let it die [[a huge mistake for the remaining Supremes). Then Partners went from being a Supremes release to Susaye and Scherrie with little interest remaining in the remnants of the Supremes.

There really was LITTLE interest. The Supremes At Their Best and Mary Scherrie and Susaye did not chart on the Top 200 album chart. You couldn't even find At Their Best in Canada; I had to "special order" it.

It was one of those instances where you might have had a good album, but this wasn't Where Did Our Love Go in early 1964; the timing wouldn't work. This was around the time when the Supremes got boo'ed at Madison Square Garden for singing "new" songs when the crowd wanted the old songs.

I read a very negative review somewhere-either Rolling Stone or some album compilation book. I trust their disco song they did on tv wasnt representative of the whole album which I havent heard.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Partners probably got caught up in the time when Mary Wilson went to Diana about the Supremes and Diana agreed that if there were no original members in the group, it should be allowed to die and Berry let it die [[a huge mistake for the remaining Supremes). Then Partners went from being a Supremes release to Susaye and Scherrie with little interest remaining in the remnants of the Supremes.

There really was LITTLE interest. The Supremes At Their Best and Mary Scherrie and Susaye did not chart on the Top 200 album chart. You couldn't even find At Their Best in Canada; I had to "special order" it.

It was one of those instances where you might have had a good album, but this wasn't Where Did Our Love Go in early 1964; the timing wouldn't work. This was around the time when the Supremes got boo'ed at Madison Square Garden for singing "new" songs when the crowd wanted the old songs.
    I bought "The Supremes At Their Best" and Jean Terrell's " I Had to Fall In Love" at the same time in September 1978 at Peaches Record Store in Denver Colorado. They had a huge quantity of both albums. With the release of "At Their Best" a few stations played "Up the Ladder to the Roof" .

Oh and according to Scherrie Payne, Diana Ross had the Supremes retired on her own without any input from Mary Wilson. Just keeping the facts together here.

I had never heard til these posts that Partners was to be a Supremes release. Has Susaye said so?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I had never heard til these posts that Partners was to be a Supremes release. Has Susaye said so?
    I've never heard that before either. Although, I liked "Luv Bug" the duet of Ray Charles and Susaye Greene, the album was just not commercial sounding in my opinion. It got NO airplay in Detroit and I have never heard any of the songs on radio anywhere else. I found out about the album and it's release from Carl Feuerbacher. I found one sealed copy in a store about a year after it's release.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I too always thought this LP was years ahead of its time. I believe I read, the male voice on Another Life was Eugene McDaniels. But I'm not really sure. It's been a long time. Joyce Vincent's contributions were done after Dawn and Tony Orlando had disbanded. But I think she had already been considered as Mary Wilson's replacement by the time the Partners sessions took place. Maybe Susaye Greene can clarify. I also agree Carmen Twillie's name is more familiar as a session singer. I hope this album gets reissued, if not by Universal/ Motown, then by SoulMusic.com, which seems to like these kinds of lost gems.
    It was Gene McDaniels.

Me too-At Their Best right in record stores in my area, as well as Jean's which I have somewhere.

Partners was not promoted in the Washington DC area at all. In fact, I couldn't find a copy of it until 4 months after it had been released and that was in a Georgetown record store that I just happened upon. I believe Susaye has stated before that the project was NOT a Supremes project but perhaps she will weigh in on this issue. I love this album and would buy a cd version in a hot minute.

You are wrong,wrong, wrong! The success or lack of for the album "Partners" released in late 1979 had nothing whatsoever to do with the Supremes being boo'ed at MSG in March of 1977! What you should consider is this:

During the time that the Supremes disbanded in June of 1977 and 1979 when Scherrie & Susaye released "Partners", Motown had signed and released material on a number of new acts to the label. These acts would include:

Rick James
    High Inergy
    Switch
    Teena Marie
    Bonnie Pointer

Each of these acts/artists scored hits during the time between when the Supremes disbanded and "Partners". Motown has always had a policy of promoting acts that had hit records [[ironically to have hit records you need adequate promotion!). These factors played into why there was not a decent marketing campaign behind "Partners".

This wonderful album deserves the Hipo Select Expanded treatment.
    I believe there are sufficient out-takes and recordings from that time line to warrant a second disc.

Slow dance
    Special Love
    We'll Get By
    Fantasy
    Fly
    When I Looked At Your Face.

Hopefully Susaye can shed some light on these sessions and ofd any put-takes

Scherrie and Susaye did a fantastic job of not only recording this material but as writers as well. I remember hoping "I Found Another Love" would be released and extended. This song did get played in the clubs but, I don't think I ever heard it once on the radio. It was one of those hidden gems. Susaye and Scherrie was some bad*+)+ss singers together and compliment each other on song. "Love Bug " was a different song to listen to but, a great album filler and the wine and cheese kind of mix. Motown messed up letting these two slip through their hands, there was a WHOLE LOT of talent here. Joyce would have been good but I think S & S could have done it as a duo.

Over a week and I am STILL LOVING "I Found Another Love". How this slipped through the cracks is beyond me.

As I said before, I'd like to see Partners re-issued on David Nathan's SoulMusic label, but I'm afraid Universal/Motown is going to realize what a gem it's sitting on and not license it and continue to sit on it.

[QUOTE=tamlaUK;122909]I believe there are sufficient out-takes and recordings from that time line to warrant a second disc.

Slow dance
    Special Love
    We'll Get By
    Fantasy
    Fly
    When I Looked At Your Face./QUOTE]

I seem to recall "Fly" released as a single in the UK. If so, strange that a non-album track was given a single release. Would love to hear this and the complete album.

Fly & When I Looked At Your Face were on the Soundtrack to "Moi, Fleure Bleue". The LP version of Fly is a minute longer than the single and there are two versions of WILAYF ... one with Scherrie and the other with Jodie Foster.

Oops, I forgot ... The soundtrack also has an instrumental of WILAYF, so 3 versions altogether.

As a reminder, this album is set to be released November 26, 2013.

It's available for pre-order on Amazon, listed at $21.68. I'm going to shop around on this one [[I'd guess Amazon's price will drop a little closer to the release date.....); if anyone happens to find a bit more inexpensive, please post? Regardless, I'll be picking up for my collection. A must-have for so many reasons!

http://www.amazon.com/Partners-Scher...cherrie+susaye

I played the album recently. In fact, I found a nice copy of it so bought a second copy of it. I like the album but think it suffers a bit from having nothing but original material. I think on a "Supremes" type LP, it was always good to hear their versions of already well known songs. I think too the material is a little too "safe," to me there are no truly standout tracks. But the two girls sound wonderful and the album had beautiful production. It's worth another listen, absolutely.

Would make a great Hip-O expanded set along with an expanded version of "Mary Wilson."

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I played the album recently. In fact, I found a nice copy of it so bought a second copy of it. I like the album but think it suffers a bit from having nothing but original material. I think on a "Supremes" type LP, it was always good to hear their versions of already well known songs. I think too the material is a little too "safe," to me there are no truly standout tracks. But the two girls sound wonderful and the album had beautiful production. It's worth another listen, absolutely.

Would make a great Hip-O expanded set along with an expanded version of "Mary Wilson."
    This is a good idea but I don't think it would fit in any realistic Universal Hip O plans right now. It appears they are struggling to continue with the release of any classic, hit albums etc.

We need to support them in whatever they release.

I think it has been mentioned before, I I wonder what kind of expense there would be in putting a couple of albums like this together for an "online only" release on some label.

These types of albums that were not hits are "classic" to a certain group of fans.

supremester Guest
    I was very aware of Partners here in Portland. I saw ads - probably in Soul - and a few stores had a copy or two. I remember the ads because they looked like a couple to me and with that title.......... it was prominently promoted in SF and LA - I thought it was going to hit as it was mentioned a lot. I bought a DJ copy at some point. Supremes At Their Best appeared as a single copy at Tower Records and stayed a single copy at Tower Records. I thought it looked like some foreign telemarketing thing. Everywhere had a dog eared copy until it was scrapped. Terrible cover - just the worst I've ever seen - they deserved better.

[QUOTE=marybrewster;191670]As a reminder, this album is set to be released November 26, 2013.

It's available for pre-order on Amazon, listed at $21.68. I'm going to shop around on this one [[I'd guess Amazon's price will drop a little closer to the release date.....); if anyone happens to find a bit more inexpensive, please post? ..........................

http://www.blowitoutahere.com/scherr.../4988005783226

Blowitoutofhere for $13.76. That sounds pretty reasonable.

I have to respectfully disagree with the assertions that Partners was promoted. I was a DJ in Louisiana and never even knew the album had been issued. We never got the album or single. The same with Mary, we got the lp and that's it. It seems these albums got some minimal, contractural promotion in selected markets where Motown felt there might be an audience.

As far as reviews, the only one I read was in Billboard and they called the lp uneven. It was mostly an album of solo performances rather than duets which made it confusing. It wasn't a true duet lp from start to finish. Suzanne dePasse, when confronted by concerned fans, proclaimed "those ladies need to find a sound." I never heard any of theirs or Mary's stuff on the radio. Mary did do a lot more promotion, appearing on Dinah, Merv and other local shows, but nothing national. All Scherrie and Su did to my knowledge was a Mike Douglas. Motown was in pretty bad condition in 1979 and were swimming in red ink. They just didn't have the budget to give these albums a big push. They were concentrating on the Commodores, Diana, Stevie and breaking out with Billy Preston & Syreeta. Tons of new artists were signed, released product that went nowhere which did nothing to expand Motown's diversity or spur record sales. Rick James, High Inergy and Switch had done well in prior years but now were languishing. Only Rick made a comeback

This release is just around the corner!

Where have you all ordered from? Best price?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There was a total lack of promotion AND distribution with distribution being a big factor in my opinion. You could not find that album anywhere in my area [[Detroit Metro) at the time of it's release. I found a sealed copy of it later but I can't remember where now.
    At the time of release in my city in CA. It was displayed very well at the local Tower of Records and Record Factory with all the new current hit albums. I bought it the day it was released.