[REMOVE ADS]

Patti settles up

• Enlarge PhotoAssociated Press/Matt Sayles, File - FILE - In this June 26, 2011 file photo, singer Patti LaBelle accepts the lifetime achievement award at the BET Awards in Los Angeles. The R&B diva has agreed to pay $100,000 …more to a Manhattan woman who accused her of hurling curses and water at her and her 18-month-old daughter during a dust-up over parenting in an apartment building lobby. [[AP Photo/Matt Sayles, File) less

NEW YORK [[AP) — R&B diva Patti LaBelle has agreed to pay $100,000 to a Manhattan woman who accused her of hurling curses and water at her and her 18-month-old daughter during a dust-up over parenting in an apartment building lobby.
    Roseanna Monk and her husband, Kevin, filed a lawsuit against LaBelle last year.
    The couple lives in a Manhattan building where the Grammy Award-winning singer stayed while appearing in the Broadway musical "Fela!"
    The couple's lawyer, Sam Davis, tells the New York Post [[http://bit.ly/TkIYJy ) LaBelle settled the case even before being deposed. The Monks will donate the money to a children's cancer charity.
    LaBelle's publicist declined to comment.
    According to the lawsuit, LaBelle chastised Roseanna Monk, threw a bottle of water and launched into an obscenity-filled tirade during the Nov. 11, 2010 argument.

There had been no news on this case in a while. I had a feeling that they had reached a settlement. Thanks for posting.

Good. Now that's over.

Patti Labelle's Diva attitude and behavior has tainted her image and hurt her concert sales in my opinion. I have a feeling that having to pay $100,000 is not going to be easy on her bank account.
    What about the young man her handlers beat to a bloody mess? That case hasn't been settled.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.

This doesn't make sense.

If all that happened is Patti swore at her and threw a bottle of water at her, $100000 is one hell of a lot to pay.

If Patti hit one of them with the bottle of water and did some damage, that is another matter.

Or if Patti Labelle has no intention of paying the judgement, like many other entertainers, that is another matter as well. If you go look on line, you will see most of the Jacksons have unpaid judgments; Aretha Franklin doesn't pay all her bills; and the IRS runs after Martha Reeves.

maybe its the homeowners assoc. ins. payin this ridiculous sum, I would not think Patti LaBelle would have an extra 100,000.layin around.

The woman and her child felt threatened and were verbally accosted. You don't act that way in front of children let alone a pregnant woman. Now she can look forward to the case involving the Westpoint Cadet which was denied as well. Except the camera says different.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    maybe its the homeowners assoc. ins. payin this ridiculous sum, I would not think Patti LaBelle would have an extra 100,000.layin around.
    http://newyorkpost.com/p/news/nation...vrvJcdnmLUuT5J
    This link was on the other thread about this. She was being paid $50K per week for a three-month Broadway gig, so maybe she salted some of that away. This is such a let-down regarding one of my favorite performers.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    The woman and her child felt threatened and were verbally accosted. You don't act that way in front of children let alone a pregnant woman. Now she can look forward to the case involving the Westpoint Cadet which was denied as well. Except the camera says different.
    The child's mother is donating the $100,000 to a children's cancer charity so she obviously wasn't doing this for money.

I think the Westpoint Cadet will be getting a lot more than $100,000 for the terrible beating he received.

It seems like Miss Patti has some anger management issues she needs to deal with.

Roberta

You are absolutely correct Roberta. Maybe she and Mel Gibson could team up for those anger management classes.

I'm never in favour of supporting aggressive, violent anybodys. And Patti Labelle has been involved in too many of these incidents.

But this doesn't make sense. It's way too much money for very little. Why the heck do it to give it all away? Everyone gave away money??? Patti Labelle, the plaintiff and her lawyer. Give me a break.

My guess is there is more to this; this "settlement" might be for publicity purposes only for both sides with no actual money ever being paid.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I'm never in favour of supporting aggressive, violent anybodys. And Patti Labelle has been involved in too many of these incidents.

But this doesn't make sense. It's way too much money for very little. Why the heck do it to give it all away? Everyone gave away money??? Patti Labelle, the plaintiff and her lawyer. Give me a break.

My guess is there is more to this; this "settlement" might be for publicity purposes only for both sides with no actual money ever being paid.
    The lady announced that she is giving the $100,000 to a specific children's cancer charity so I don't think she was in it for the money or the publicity.

You can't threaten and yell at a child.

Roberta

I'm glad this matter has been settled, and I hope she and the young cadet can also come to terms. It's always disappointing to see someone you've admired for some time involved in such asinine incidents.

Best,

Mark

You're right. The college student she ordered her goons to beat up because he was standing too close to her precious luggage hasn't been settled. The kid was on his phone asking his parents when they were going to pick him up at the airport when he was brutally assaulted.

I just read about the cadet incident. He was busted to a rank of private and scheduled for deployment to Afghanistan, after he was originally to graduate as a second lieutenant this December. He'll have to wait at least three years before he'll be eligible to re-enroll and complete officer training because the Houston PD notified West Point about the incident from the standpoint that he was drunkenly harassing Patti LaBelle and standing too close to her limo and luggage. What?! I didn't see where charges were not filed, so I'm thinking a settlement in that case might be a little harder to reach.

I know that I shouldn't judge things that I'm not personal witness to, but this doesn't pass the smell test for me. I love her music and part of my affection for it was the class with which she's always comported herself. With two anger incidents, I'm more a fan of her music than I am of her and that is absolutely sad to me.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 09-09-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Ummmmm...not so fast!

A judge here in N.Y. ruled that Ms. Monk violated the terms of the agreement by running off at the mouth about the settlement on tv. Yesterday, the case went back to court.

http://wonderwall.msn.com/music/patt...-1707149.story

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Ummmmm...not so fast!

A judge here in N.Y. ruled that Ms. Monk violated the terms of the agreement by running off at the mouth about the settlement on tv. Yesterday, the case went back to court.

http://wonderwall.msn.com/music/patt...-1707149.story
    Ahemmmmm........ It is a bit strange that details from a settlement were made public. Now what's to stop others for going after celebrites,etc over just about any little thing? I hope they reverse it now.