[REMOVE ADS]

Single edits that are blasphemous

While most single edits of classics are tolerable, there are some that I just can't stand. Mainly because they edit too many parts or the fade out too quickly! The ones I con't stand are...

Love don't love nobody- the Spinners
    Tell the World have I fell about cha baby- Harold Melvin & the bluenotes
    Always and Forever- Heatwave

These are the only ones that come to mine at the moment. But what single/radio edits do you all dislike?

"Queen Of My Soul" by Average White Band

ALL I NEED IS TIME by Gladys Knight and the Pips.

LET'S DO IT AGAIN by the Staple Singers

pshark Guest
    Give Up The Funk [[Tear The Roof Off The Sucker) They edited out Ray Davis's classic intro.
    On the other hand there's the rare occasion where they add to the single that you won't
    hear on the lp vers. James Brown's "Big Payback" for instance. The rare alternate has an
    emcee shouting out different cities. I prefer that version instead of the lp's.

Theres some criminal early fade outs on the brilliant Jam & Lewis 4 cd promo set
    Dianas "Reach Out Ill Be There " is an infamous bad edit
    Madonna's physical Attraction on the B side of UK "Borderline " "7
    I have a compilation that edits Ruby Turners "I'd Rather Go Blind"..what where they thinking?

Raphael Saadiq 100 year dash and Just one kiss from you. These songs just start to heat up. Why did he do that. There aren't any remixes either as far as I have found.
    Lorne

**Great Subject**

Eddie Kendricks Keep On Trucking
    Marvin & Tammi You're All I Need To Get By
    Heatwave Always & Forever
    Blackbyrds Walkin In Rhythm
    Commodores Three Times A Lady
    Stephanie Mills Never Knew Love Like This Before

There are surely MANY more... just can't recall at present. It seems that Stevie had 1 or 2 from late 60's or early 70's that got hacked up.

[[Opposite Note) Tower Of Power You're Still A Young Man... the full version finally grew on me, but I still prefer the single edit that I was so accustomed to.

As someone said there are far too many:

Runaway Child/Tempts
    Mighty Love/Spinners
    Bad Luck/Harold Melvin & Bluenotes
    Superbad/James Brown
    Talking Loud, Saying Nothing/James Brown

But probably the one that bothered me most was Mother Popcorn....arrggghhhhh !

Several of the Funkadelic Westbound 45's have crummy edits. The 'Music for my Mother' single has a poor splice that throws the whole feel off for a sec; Cosmic Slop edited out the awesome ominous drum/feedback intro and and only kept two or four bars of the pre-solo vamp taking all the tension/release elements out of that. They just should have took the album version as is and started the time-saving fade after the solo when the vocal outro kicked in, IMHO. Also, Standing on the Verge would have benefitted from keeping the full-length JB-like guitar/bass riff twice instead of just once and they busted up the groove by going back to the head too often. The version of Hit it And Quit it on the Greatest Hits [[sheephead cover) is a slight improvement over the official single........

Practically every single on the Hot Wax label faded out too quickly for my liking, which is strange as I don't have the same problem with Invictus.

The fadeout on 4 Tops "Reach Out I'll Be There" should have been longer also.