[REMOVE ADS]

This is one of the best mixes I've ever heard from Johnny and Valerie's vocals are the TRUTH!
    Almost makes me wanna try to download it.
    This is also the first time I ever saw you post a direct link, Jimmy Mack.
    Dang. Congrats!....

The original demo from Valerie can be found on Diana Ross - Surrender:Expanded Edition. It was released in 2008. Hard to believe it was just a demo....

topdiva1 Guest
    Valerie Simpson sang most of the hard parts and notes that Ross could not hit - for many years on many albums - trust and believe.

NOT on the Deke Richards or Michael Masser productions, she didn't!
    Just on the Nick & Val productions... maybe.

WHOOOA if there is any voice I know its Diana,,,,,Val may have sung background and at somtimes sung along but Val never sung [[on record) any notes that Diana couldn't hit. Listen to Nick and Val live performance and you will notice Val couldn't hit the same notes that Diana and Gladys Knight hit on certain songs.This is probably another Urban Legend that once showed its ugly head but Val will quickly say..............WTF ?

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    This is one of the best mixes I've ever heard from Johnny and Valerie's vocals are the TRUTH!
    Almost makes me wanna try to download it.
    This is also the first time I ever saw you post a direct link, Jimmy Mack.
    Dang. Congrats!....
    Splanky...thanks so much!
    John

This is great... and Val done the song much BETTER.

It aint that different from Dianas vocal...

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Valerie Simpson sang most of the hard parts and notes that Ross could not hit - for many years on many albums - trust and believe.

Which albums? Which songs?

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    Which albums? Which songs?

All the Ashford and Simpson produced material - Val stated in some interview s that she had to "overdub, and redo for Diana - to make her vocals POP" - Of this statement I am certain - however I am sure people will disagree - I hope that their is someone out there who also read this. If so - let me know - thanks.

TopDiva
    I will not deny that Val made that statement although, I have never read that article, but perhaps she meant overdub with Diana's own vocal as HDH did with "Hanging On". To me Overdub does not necessarily mean to sing over her or for her. Of the two albums that Nick and Val produced for Diana I hear Nick, Val, Ullanda and Ray in the background and sometimes Diana but never on lead. On the third album with the "Boss", Diana voice had changed somewhat but it was still her. On the Boss I always heard another voice in the "background" but, could never really make out who it was.

I have heard a few stories like this as well, and I do not dispute what Valerie may have meant to say, but after working with the multitracks on many of Diana's songs produced by Nick and Val, I can confirm that it is 100% Diana on the tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    after working with the multitracks on many of Diana's songs produced by Nick and Val, I can confirm that it is 100% Diana on the tapes.
    Oh Andy, you weren't suppose to come in and dispell that rumor so quick. LMAO. For the record, Diana addressed this on Oprah and she said that it was her hitting those notes [[on the Boss album).

Remeber the fun we had with this youtube link?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJTFPwX_KM4

Someone with more than enough time found out [[and let us hear the proof) of the range of Diana Ross, she has a range of 3 octaves.

If Valerie had to overdub or redo Diana, please give us a link and let us all hear.

Sure Diana needed some help now and then, but since she has such a distictive voice I'm sure the fans will hear if it's Valerie or Diana hitting the notes.

oh, and let me be not mistaken...I love Valeries voice!

MissLish Guest
    I have heard a few stories like this as well, and I do not dispute what Valerie may have meant to say, but after working with the multitracks on many of Diana's songs produced by Nick and Val, I can confirm that it is 100% Diana on the tapes.

Thank you for clarifying this.

topdiva1 Guest
    To you all - case closed and many thanks to those you also had heard this story - both ladies are among my top favs.

Thanks Andy
    I was trying so hard to get my point across but no one does it better than you. You are the master.

topdiva1 Guest

100 percent Diana - 100 percent Tammi - in either case Valerie Simpson - made those ladies voices pop - through her production of them and when needed "assiting them vocally", and Val has said so - so their is you 100 per cent. You beeter ask Val.

Motown PROTECTS Motown without revealing to much and by skirting the real funky truth.

Well its certainly Diana doing all those high whoops in the middle of "The Boss" Ive listened to Nik and Vals Ross produced tracks thousands of times over the years and I dont hear no Val doing Diana high bits -Diana could always sing high the proof is in hundreds of her recordings..

Valerie Simpson is looking at this thread and the responses of her doing it better than Diana. I bet she's giving some of y'all the Rock eyebrow. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Well its certainly Diana doing all those high whoops in the middle of "The Boss" Ive listened to Nik and Vals Ross produced tracks thousands of times over the years and I dont hear no Val doing Diana high bits -Diana could always sing high the proof is in hundreds of her recordings..
    HELL! There's a video demonstrating that Diana can reach HIGH notes. People be tripping! LMAO!

damn right Midnightman some folks must be smoking stuff they shouldnt...

topdiva1 Guest
    Nobody said that Diana Ross could not sing - what was said was at times her voice was PERHAPS enhanced - Do not get it twisted, girls!!!

Thats not what you posted it was infact ..."Simpson sang Most of the hard parts & notes Ross could not hit for many years on many albums - trust and believe.."...and its total bullshit you got it twisted and youve been corrected..

You said it Nomis! And erm, twisting the truth... Sounds like something Tony Turner would do ;-)

I don't care who sang on DR's cuts, but on this song Valerie's version wipes the floor with Diana's [[even though Diana was following Val's original lead note for note).

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I don't care who sang on DR's cuts, but on this song Valerie's version wipes the floor with Diana's [[even though Diana was following Val's original lead note for note).

Oh dear, once again, Miss Ross comes out on the losing end when being compared to another. Yep, Miss Ross is a no-talent heifer who slept her way to the top. Everyone is better and more talented that Diana Ross!

I give this one to Miss Ross. There is a vibrancy to her voice that sails through the song, something I find missing in Val's demo. Of course, Val's is a demo! so who knows what she would have done with the song if she was singing it for her own project.

And there is no way Val would have done any singing for Diana Ross. Diana has one of the most distinctive voices in pop music. Val's vocals would stick out like a sore thumb if she tried to overdub notes for her. Please!

Personally, I think Andy made it clear who is singing on Diana's songs written and produced by Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson. DIANA IS !!!

topdiva1 Guest
    In the end with or without vocal help - through her career Diana Ross has set the tone and the standard for greatness. While Diana may not be the world's greatest singer - she is perhaps the worlds greatest diva.

And that ain't twisted.

In the end it is a good record no matter how it was producer, engineered, or mastered. So enjoy the legend that is Diana Ross in one of her best moments - for debates and catty remarks like those made her for and against the great Miss Ross is a smal part of what hasmade and keeps her a SUPERSTAR - from day one.

REJOICE FELLOW POSTERS!!

TOPDIVA
    I think your right on that but in my opinion I always like to think of D as just a great Entertainer. Diva's don't always entertain me and sometimes they are in a Kingdom or Queendon alone. Diana truly entertaines me.

Diana is one of the greatest entertainers of all time.

MissLish Guest
    ..And the standard that all others are measured against.

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    Oh dear, once again, Miss Ross comes out on the losing end when being compared to another. Yep, Miss Ross is a no-talent heifer who slept her way to the top. Everyone is better and more talented that Diana Ross!
    It's about time you came around Miss Lish! We've been holdin the bus door open for ya for quite some time!

I haven't looked here for a few days and assumed after Andy's comment this post would have been put to rest. I'm really glad he posted. Let me add that not only are the vocals 100 percent Diana but with VERY few exceptions [[I can think of two) every released song you hear on those first two A&S produced LPs is one complete vocal take start to finish with no punch ins and no overdubs. Even on the few songs they combined two takes it was for an artistic choice. It's no secret that I've always been a fan but after having the chance to hear these vocals unmixed I have to tell you that I believe more than ever that Diana Ross is an incredible and often under-rated recording artist.
    Last edited by George Solomon; 09-23-2010 at 10:11 AM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Diana vocally has been underrated for most of her career- her ability to act out or interpret a song is way better then most - her dramtics and presence is all her own and like Tina Turner she is unique in her class.

Above all she is an entertainer, someone you go to see for the gowns, the hair, the staging, the dramatics. and yes The Voice - not to mention the history that she represents each and evry time she hits the stage.

Diana Ross seemingly belongs to generations of devoted fans - and even those who do not like her have still followed her just to criticize and yet be all up in it - in the know. Their will likely never be another Diana Ross - regardless of punch ins - over dubs and enhancements - true or false - SHE IS DIANA ROSS - of that you can be certain.

When the Motown Original Karaoke CDs came out, I was impressed at just how wonderful Diana's isolated solo vocals sounded. She didn't need any help from anyone. George Solomon and Andy Skurow are the ones who could tell us for sure more than anybody else here...and they have spoken.

If we could only get an answer or at least a response from George & Andy on whether Valerie's vocals were used and passed off as Tammi Terrell's on those later duets with Marvin and whether it is all just Tammi on "You're All I Need To Get By."

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marxthespot View Post
    When the Motown Original Karaoke CDs came out, I was impressed at just how wonderful Diana's isolated solo vocals sounded. She didn't need any help from anyone. George Solomon and Andy Skurow are the ones who could tell us for sure more than anybody else here...and they have spoken.

If we could only get an answer or at least a response from George & Andy on whether Valerie's vocals were used and passed off as Tammi Terrell's on those later duets with Marvin and whether it is all just Tammi on "You're All I Need To Get By."
    In the end what does it all matter - let us just enjoy the music!!!!

Just a technical point here. Diana did not follow this demo vocal note for note. This is a demo vocal of astonishing refinement and polish. Diana's was a performance.

PS. Val's wasn't really a demo. It was going to be on her "Exposed" LP. She sang her demos with much more simplicity. At least the ones that I've heard. She was great in the studio, really knowing what she and Nick wanted and they always brought out the best in their artists. I love their productions!
    Last edited by George Solomon; 09-23-2010 at 01:13 PM.

This post might be greeted with derision in some quarters but I love Valerie's singing. The Exposed LP was very solid and featured some excellent songs.

But Valerie's voice does not have the level of distinction of Diana's voice. The range was similar and Valerie's range may have been a notch more. But Valerie's voice was not that distinguishable from a whole bunch of voices out there.

It was not a voice that is as instantly identifiable as Diana's or Aretha's or Tina Turners; it wasn't as distinctive or memorable even though it was good.

Valerie's biggest strength was as a writer/producer.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Valerie's biggest strength was as a writer/producer.
    Now that I will definitely agree with although I think Nick did the Lyrics and Val did the music.

^ And you will be correct sir lol

Val can play the piano like nobody...

uptight Guest
    George, I agree. The vocal on this track does sound too refined to be an actual demo.