[REMOVE ADS]

Dee Dee Sharp - Picture Sleeve question

Please take a look at this non-U.S. picture sleeve from my collection. Is it indeed Dee Dee Sharp? I've never seen another photo of her in this particular outfit and, for some reason, it doesn't look that much like Dee Dee to me. And I have seen several sleeves from other countries where the label has put an incorrect artist's pic on the sleeve.

What say you, Dee Dee fans?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't think it's Dee Dee. If it is Dee Dee, it is a very young Dee Dee. Their is kind of a vague resemblance, but I still go with it's not her. I'll be very interested in what the Russi brothers have to say about this photo. They always seem to have the most accurate information on Dee Dee.

Could be wrong but I definitely think it IS her.

here's Dee Dee and if you compare the smile the girl in your picture sleeve has she appears to have the same smile as Dee Dee so i'll let you be the judge..

Name:  74000567.jpg
Views: 4355
Size:  28.3 KB

Looks like Dee Dee to me...

I also think it is a young Dee Dee.
    I have a 45 on the Karusell label.
    I'll have to check but I seem to recall it being from a Scananavian country: Denmark or Sweden maybe.
    Anyway, I'll check thru my thinks to see if I can find it & confirm the country.

That's a Swedish release - apart from Cameo/Parkway the Karusell label also had the Scandinavian rights to ABC, VeeJay and, very briefly, Motown.

It looks like a young Dee Dee to me - probably from a photo shoot that wasn't used in the U.S.

Name:  screen-capture-2.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  6.7 KBActually, now that I look at it, this shot of Dee Dee from the first ALL THE HITS BY ALL THE STARS LP shows that she is sporting a similar hairstyle and general look as the Karusell picture sleeve.

Looks like a young Dee Dee to me, I'll send it to her to confirm.

Hi, just saw this thread. Yes, it is her! And I love that pic sleeve you have. FABULOUS!!!! It IS, however, a very
    early shot of her when she first started in '62.

One of the great things about Cameo/Parkway 45s were the colorful pic sleeves that really stood out on the record racks
    in dept. stores--beautiful scripts with photos of Chubby Checker, the Orlons, Bobby Rydell, the Dovells, and, of course,
    Dee Dee. I only wish the CP box set had been larger in size and included many of these gems.
    There were also some very rare ones, like Patti LaBelle & the Blue-Belles "You'll Never Walk Alone".
    It would be great if a collector put them all together in a display book.

topdiva1 Guest
    Dee Dee Sharp's best photo album cover was 'HAPPY BOUT THE WHOLE THING'!!!!!!!

Does anyone have the French pic sleeve that was issued for her Gamble Record label single, "What Kind Of Lady"?

What this one ?
    Attachment 1370
    No, I haven't got one !!!
    I only have the UK Action label version of the 45 [[with no piccy sleeve).

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    What this one ?
    Attachment 1370
    No, I haven't got one !!!
    I only have the UK Action label version of the 45 [[with no piccy sleeve).

Great Cover - must find this for my beginning collection - thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    What this one ?
    Attachment 1370
    It's a French 45 from 1969.

She had a few EP's, too :

Great! Thanks for posting that as I love that photo on the What Kind of Lady single. In fact, all of these are great.
    If anyone has anymore of these wonderful gems please post. I'll call Dee Dee and have her check this thread out.
    Again, thanks!

Another couple of pictures of Dee Dee ....
    Attachment 1419

Attachment 1420

Great photos! Thanks for posting. Does anyone have a pic sleeve of "Good" b/w "Deep Dark Secret"??? This pic sleeve,
    if it does exist, is very, very rare.
    All U.S. pic sleeves on Cameo I know of are:
    "Gravy" b/w "Baby Cakes"

"Ride!" b/w "The Night"

"Do The Bird" b/w "Lover Boy"

"Rock Me In The Cradle Of Love" b/w "You'll Never Be Mine"

"Wild!" b/w "Why Doncha Ask Me"

"Willyam, Willyam" b/w "Where Did I Go Wrong"

"Never Pick A Pretty Boy" b/w "He's No Ordinary Guy"

"I Really Love You" b/w "Standing In The Need Of Love"

Can any others be confirmed?

The new double lp CD issued by Abkco coupling "It's Mashed Potato Time" album with "Do The Bird" lp is excellent sound
    quality. The graphics are nice too. There is an error, however, in the liner notes. Writer Ed Osbourne, who did
    interview Dee Dee for the project, mistakenly says her third top ten single, "Ride!", did not have an lp. That single
    was featured as the opener on her lp "All The Hits, Volume 2". He also writes that "Do The Bird" album was her
    second pop lp, that's also incorrect. It was her fourth! She also had "All The Hits, Volume 1", and if you include
    her duet lp, "Down To Earth" with Chubby Checker, it was her fifth. She had also done a gospel lp titled "Songs Of
    Faith", which Dee Dee says is to be issued on CD in December.
    Last, Osbourne credits her with making some great records after Cameo-Parkway folded, but fails to mention her
    stint with Atlantic where she made a handful of soulful 45s as well as a great duet single with Ben E. King.
    It is also interesting to note that Cameo never did feature her B sides on lps. The song "Why Don't You Ask Me?"
    on the "Bird" lp was later recut and issued as a B side to "Wild!" retitled "Why Don'cha Ask Me".
    Other than that, none of the B sides made their way on to her albums.
    Dee Dee performed this past weekend with Chubby Checker.

Any UK fans here on SD that plan to see Dee Dee perform at the end of this month on David Guest's Soul Spectacular?