[REMOVE ADS]

What would Maxine Powell say to Mr Gordy about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0mxOXbWIU

Am I getting too old because I dont find this entertaining at all...it,s by Cee Lo Green who is dressed a la Berry Gordy

Is he dressed as Berry, John? He made me think of the guy who sang Crazy. I'm sorry to say I liked it. I think you are right that Miss Powell would be less enchanted. Too old? I don't know, but we youngsters can learn a lot from you and Maxine.

That was wonderful. Thank you Boyfromxtown. Dave, that is the gentleman that sang the hit "Crazy" from a few years ago.

Gnarls Barkley ~ well, he channels Motown and the Motown hooks better than anyone in the last few years.

Does he have to do it this way? No, of course he doesn't. Something is missing for him. And he'll shorten his career if he cheapens it too much. He had a bad time following up Crazy; nothing much happened for a long time, which is probably why he felt the need to come up with a gimmick.

I think Diana or Berry need to flick the pastie on his twinkie and tell him "there's no need for this kind of thing", that's no way to build a career with some longevity.

Cee-Lo has been known for being a bit outsider with his thoughts and ideas... you should get his mixtape, Stray Bullets. Excellent stuff.

I gotta a tell ya, other than the offensiveness of the lyrics, I love the heck out of the musical part of the song. i've never been one to shy away from salty language as you all know, but this just seems gratuitous. And did you all notice, the woman who plays the mother slapping the taste out of the mouth of the little boy, bears quite a resemblance to Lois Reeves!

I must have missed something. I am in France and watching some TV channel and there,s this woman singing a song with "F**king bitch" in the lyrics.

If this is what music is about these days, then there,s no hope for me.

theboyfromxtown wrote:

If this is what music is about these days, then there,s no hope for me.

Oh, please!...
    Now you're judging the entire music business by this one piece of work?...
    Ceelo wanted a way back into the spotlight and he found it, it's a hit and even bad press about it is better than no press
    as far as most people are concerned today. You've never heard profanity in a song before? Where have you been for the last 50, 60, 75 years? Besides, it's not aimed at you. Personally , I don't believe in "channeling" and I don't see any reference to Berry Gordy or Motown in it but that doesn't even matter. It's not something I would buy and Ceelo is not someone I'd pay to see but for sheer entertainment I think it's very well put together and I liked it. When I want to see and hear real music there are hundreds of other options available to me and anyone else not still hung up on yesterday...

I discovered this song a couple of weeks ago and love the **** out if it. It's tongue in cheek and about as offensive as a Sunday school picnic - lol!

Cee-lo has always explored things like this, all the way back to his Goodie M.O.B. Days and his minor R&B solo hit Closet Freak. He's very alternative in his personal life as well. I don't feel this was written just to pander to the radio, if so you don't base the hook on the word radio refuses to air unedited. Maxine Powell isn't the target audience for this song anyway, let alone 99 percent of what's on Top 40 or R&B radio. Everyone ages out of certain songs sounds and concepts eventually. I once had a elderly woman come up to me at the FYE I managed and declare the Mary J Blige album playing was offensive to her and I told her well back in the day her mother was probably offended by Frank Sinatra so things never change. The great thing about music is it provokes a reaction with it's listener, be it good or bad. No one has to love this song, but just to dismiss it as pandering because of the F word isn't real correct either. He would've Just rewrote Crazy if he wanted to accomplish this in a It's The Same Old Song way...

Good post Glenwood.

Mrs. Powell herself is pretty crazy!

But I'm sure she wouldn't like it; I watched the video, liked the song but wasn't impressed with all the kids around for that of song.

But times change.............

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Good post Glenwood.

Mrs. Powell herself is pretty crazy!

But I'm sure she wouldn't like it; I watched the video, liked the song but wasn't impressed with all the kids around for that of song.

But times change.............
    I do not think this performer is dressed like Berry Gordy at all. everyone in a suit is NOT dressing like Mr. Gordy - what a silly comment - the song is interesting and written for a certain crowd of today and will find it's market. I do not imagine it getting much air play - thus it may not become a huge hit - however, the performer surely understands that and is making his own personal statement - as for the kids in the video - this is what we have come to - SHAME.

and

As for the remark that "...Mrs. Powell herself is pretty crazy!", is an insult to a woman that you may have heard of - but do not know personally. So. class yourself, you are hopefully old enough to know better, than that. Show some respect for a great lady.

Yes, Topdiva... Maxine Powell is not crazy, she's a force of nature!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Yes, Topdiva... Maxine Powell is not crazy, she's a force of nature!
    Why would someone call Miss Powell "... pretty crazy", from all I have read about her - she is well respected to this day by all from the Motown days - and some of Motown's biggest stars have sent their own children to her private classes. I agree she is a force of nature.

Tony Tony Tony...............this is the thing about you that causes the comments on here that you don't care for. One, you don't really know Motown that well. And two, how on earth can you of all people react to somebody making a comment on Maxine Powell after all you said about Berry, Mary, Diana, David..........and publicly. The Lord knows.........

Anyway, watch the video all the way through...........and then you'll see why several of us went "ahem" or "pretty crazy"; the lady is getting old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIZCG0auxzY

Maxine Powell was a great influence at Motown but not always to the best effect. I mean, was it she who taught the Supremes to sing really hearbreaking lyrics whilst grinning like Cheshire cats! Or wearing what looked like pj's and false eye lashes that were so heavy Ross's eye's almost closed! Just a thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKa3bkdhqzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11rvN-W3PY

topdiva1 Guest
    Tony Tony Tony...............this is the thing about you that causes the comments on here that you don't care for. One, you don't really know Motown that well. And two, how on earth can you of all people react to somebody making a comment on Maxine Powell after all you said about Berry, Mary, Diana, David..........and publicly. The Lord knows.........

Anyway, watch the video all the way through...........and then you'll see why several of us went "ahem" or "pretty crazy"; the lady is getting old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIZCG0auxzY

First of all - I am not Tony Tony Tony - and maybe that is why I do not know to much as a college student on Motown - However - I do have a friend that knows Tony Tony Tony as you call him and she says, "..honey Tony Turner is too grand to give a damn what is said about him - he can take it just the same way he dished it out - and in fact enjoys the comments I share with him, in utter laughter"

And as to Miss Powell getting old - so will we all - and maybe even you will not be in your right mind - or is it already to late for us all.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Maxine Powell was a great influence at Motown but not always to the best effect. I mean, was it she who taught the Supremes to sing really hearbreaking lyrics whilst grinning like Cheshire cats! Or wearing what looked like pj's and false eye lashes that were so heavy Ross's eye's almost closed! Just a thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKa3bkdhqzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11rvN-W3PY

It is my understanding that Miss Powell was the charm school teacher at Motown - and had nothing at all to do with the make up, fashion, or grinning classes conducted at Motown

Maxine Powell is not crazy I can tell you that right now. Even for a woman over the age of 80, she is brilliant and still has control of her faculties through the Grace of God.

Being able to work the name "Diana Ross" into any and every discussion, well that could be considered crazy to a lot of people.

The video for "F- You" has already gotten over 8 million views within the last month, so it is pretty safe to say that it is or will be a huge hit! Maybe some here don 't like it, I hated "The Macarana" and it still went on to be hit without my approval.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Maxine Powell is not crazy I can tell you that right now. Even for a woman over the age of 80, she is brilliant and still has control of her faculties through the Grace of God.

Good to see you posting Marv2 and thanks for the comment on Miss Powell - How dare they come for her!!!!

Yawn... we've been here too many times before, ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Good to see you posting Marv2 and thanks for the comment on Miss Powell - How dare they come for her!!!!
    Anytime. In the words of my Uncle John, they come for her, "because they ain't got good sense!"

John,
    I am with you [[perhaps we are from the same generation) there is nothing entertaining about someone having to curse and taking us back when we should be moving forward...

I speak to Professor Powell about every other day and TRUST me, there is nothing crazy about her! She's crazy to some people because what she says may step on their toes or damage their ignorance!

Xtown.....I just think you're old........but a "goodie".......

MissLish Guest
    how appropriate; ES back up in the hizzous; and stuff.

and diva back to ask to be removed down the road.......

It's very clear...........our love is here to stay.

Elegant........welcome back.

Mrs Powell is a wonderful woman- what she taught Diana,Mary and Martha they still say they remember to this day...

I think she's outstanding.. I hope Im doing as half as good as she is when I turn her age! And I know she's up there!

Wait I thought this was about Cee-Lo... lol

Well, it is about Cee Lo and whether his way of presenting is in favor or whether Mrs. Powell's is.

I think many of us understand Cee Lo is a "today musician" and is doing his best to stay current and popular but we still favor Mrs. Powell. I'll tell you one this about Mrs. Powell and I say this in her defence all the time ~ the lady stands her ground, you give her a microphone and you'll never get it back and she will E NUN SEE ATE clearly while standing her ground and she might give you back your interview ~ if you learn how to carry yourself properly.

I was told that she did not like Diana Ross giving up her microphone at Motown Live at the Apollo to Patti Labelle and El Debarge and George Michael and Jesse Jackson and Emmanuel Lewis and Randy Jackson and she told Diana so. But she said as long as you keep that microphone away from pushy Supremes and keep a few steps in front of them and E NUN SEE ATE clearly - she supposed it was acceptable that one time only.

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elegant_soul View Post
    and diva back to ask to be removed down the road.......

which would then be the most scandalous of all..

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightTurner View Post
    I think she's outstanding.. I hope Im doing as half as good as she is when I turn her age! And I know she's up there!

Professor Maxine Powell is one grand dame - and we all, I am sure can still learn from her. Thanks for this post DwightTurner and welcome to SDF

BEWARE!!! WITH TURNER IN YOUR NAME THEY MAY THINK YOU ARE TONY TURNER'S RELATIVE.. LOL

Well, it is about Cee Lo and whether his way of presenting is in favor or whether Mrs. Powell's is.

I think many of us understand Cee Lo is a "today musician" and is doing his best to stay current and popular but we still favor Mrs. Powell. I'll tell you one this about Mrs. Powell and I say this in her defence all the time ~ the lady stands her ground, you give her a microphone and you'll never get it back and she will E NUN SEE ATE clearly while standing her ground and she might give you back your interview ~ if you learn how to carry yourself properly.

I was told that she did not like Diana Ross giving up her microphone at Motown Live at the Apollo to Patti Labelle and El Debarge and George Michael and Jesse Jackson and Emmanuel Lewis and Randy Jackson and she told Diana so. But she said as long as you keep that microphone away from pushy Supremes and keep a few steps in front of them and E NUN SEE ATE clearly - she supposed it was acceptable that one time only.
    Did Maxine really say that? LMAO!!!! I doubt she chastised Diana for giving up to mic to Hurricane Patti. I'd give it to Ms. LaBelle too lol

And really didn't Maxine taught all the Motown acts? Why focus on Diana? Maybe because she was Maxine's brightest student? Pin the tail on Miss Ross? LOL

Cee-Lo ain't from Motown lol

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Professor Maxine Powell is one grand dame - and we all, I am sure can still learn from her. Thanks for this post DwightTurner and welcome to SDF

BEWARE!!! WITH TURNER IN YOUR NAME THEY MAY THINK YOU ARE TONY TURNER'S RELATIVE.. LOL

LOL you're right.. Thanks for the welcome to SDF..but Im an old member.. i just couldnt remember my email to get my password and stuff reset..LOL... However, when people used to see my name they would ask if I were Spyder Turner LOL.. LOL

topdiva1 Guest
    DwightTurner - then you already know how some of these posters are. STAY SHARP!!!

And just to show that the Motown sound is not dead but still being heavily copied this great song has indeed become #1 in UK today.

Here is the clean version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxod...layer_embedded

I heard he's making MAD LOOT off the song, and there's further proof [[#1 in UK). It's being used in movies and soundtracks and stuff. Great news for Cee-Lo. Y'all should really check out his "Stray Bullets" mixtape though. Great stuff.

topdiva1 Guest
    Miss Powell I believe will still think this rather tasteless.