[REMOVE ADS]

Keith Urban & Nicki Minaj to American Idol

Keith Urban $3 million to judge American Idol Leanne Cater Aug 27, 2012 1 Comments Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on stumbleuponShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services2

Did he really do it? Only Keith Urban knows for sure but The Country Vibe says they have confirmation the Aussie-hottie has accepted a $3million contract to judge American Idol along-side Mariah Carey and whoever will round out the judging panel of 4 next season.

Carey is the only, officially, confirmed AI judge so far for next season [[unless the Country Vibe "sources" are to be trusted implicitly which would add Keith to that list.) The Hollywood Reporter claims Nicki Minaj is close to signing for a significantly higher number than Keith's alleged contract at close to $8.5 million but that's still a drop in the bucket compared to Mariah Carey's reported $18 million.

Enrique Iglesias is also reportedly negotiating to take a seat on the new 4-person AI judging panel which will see Randy Jackson move into a mentoring role next season.

Epic Country Bromances

Producers were said to have been set on pulling in a judge from the country music community and it had come down to Keith and Brad Paisley. Hope this won't cause any ripples in the Urban/Paisley bromance!

Never a big "Idol" fan, but the needle of my interest moved up with Mariah... a little higher with Keith Urban... and dropped completely with Nicki Minaj. You now have performers who have been producing hits for decades judging aspiring artists alongside the latest flavor of the week. She may bring viewers, but she adds zero to the credibility of the show and I will be missing another season of "American Idol".

Jerry:

I agree with you 150%. I nearly lost my lunch a season or two ago when they insulted our intelligence by having Miley Cyrus come on there in the capacity of "mentor" when most of the contestants could already sing rings around her.

I understand the importance of having younger, popular stars on to boost ratings, but there are plenty of seasoned veterans who are still popular with viewers who would be happy to do it.

Keith Urban did quite a nice job on Australia's version of The Voice so given his talents and charm I'm not surprised to see him appear on AI.

While I am a Keith Urban fan [[one of the few newer singers I follow), I doubt that this will make me suddenly start watching American Idol.

Best,

Mark

I believe that Mariah and Keith Urban will be great additions. The news of Nicki Minaj was quite disappointing. I haven't watched the show in a few seasons but I think it's sad that the focus has turned onto who the judges are. When the show started with virtually unknown judges [[with the exception of Paula Abdul) it was about fresh new talent. Now like everything else, it's about Hollywood sensationalism.