[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    guess you don't visit the itunes chart too often.. do you think that over 30's bought 12 million Lady GaGa singles last year? ..or almost 4 million digital copies of "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen?..singles outsell digital albums, but millions of digital albums [[including Classic Motown) are sold on itunes every month..

Yes, but it's still only a drop in the water compared to what sales used to be.

Most of the music is simply stolen.........or downloaded..........or used for a while........or whatever they are calling it these days.

smark21 Guest
    I see several people are staking a claim that Motown the Musical will be a guaranteed hit. While I think it has a good chance to hit, I don’t think it’s a guarantee. Motown 50 was a big fizzle. Also, oldies radio has played certain Motown songs down to the ground over the years and some of these same songs have popped up on way too many soundtracks, commercials, and contestant performances on shows like American Idol and The Voice. So there may be Motown fatigue out there.

On the other hand, oldies radio has been phasing out 60s songs for the past few years now, so maybe some of the overplayed songs have been given a chance to “breathe”, so to speak.

I don’t think this show will be groundbreaking theater. But then groundbreaking theater rarely occurs on Broadway anymore…too much money is invested by corporate types. And the main audience for most Broadway shows are tourists. What will make Motown the Musical a hit, both at the box office and with those who love musicals, will be the entertainment values and showmanship put into the production. Great songs well performed and excitingly arranged and cleverly deployed in the show with fun costumes and stage effects and you’ll have a hit. And anyone expecting a detailed fact oriented stage documentary or a book that will depict Berry and Diana’s atrocities and crimes against humanity will be severely disappointed.

And anyone expecting a detailed fact oriented stage documentary or a book that will depict Berry and Diana’s atrocities and crimes against humanity will be severely disappointed.[/QUOTE]

We must be talking crimes against Mar.................hold on, that's Marv!

Again this play put's Motown back on the map,back in the spotlight,front center,a lot of young people will get the chance to know Motown music,and Motown History,i'm happy that Mr.Gordy is behind this play,love it,and
    Please stay positive

and front and center in all of it will be...
    ***************DIANA ROSS!*********************

The lovely Miss Mary Wilson is giving Berry Gordy's Broadway Musical a nice plug on her website. http://marywilson.com/

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Again this play put's Motown back on the map,back in the spotlight,front center,a lot of young people will get the chance to know Motown music,and Motown History,i'm happy that Mr.Gordy is behind this play,love it,and
    Please stay positive
    I'm with you dear REDHOT. I am positive that this musical will be a big hit.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

I expect Mr Gordys Motown Musical to be quite successful and no, I don't believe he needs to use the project to explain to anyone whatever business decisions he made over the course of his career as regards his record company. The man is in his 80's and is entitled to celebrate his accomplishments in any way he sees fit and tell the Motown story as he sees it and wants people to remember it. To use an overused phrase in todays political lexicon...HE BUILT IT. Anyone wishing to tell a different story is entitled to write a script, secure financing, and get it produced...otherwise...STFU. If people don't like the finished product they will not support it and it will not be a success.

A helluva good post Stu. Sounded like a lawyer letter except for the STFU line. Very well put.

MaryB.......glad to hear MaryW is giving the Musical a plug.

All Motown fans should be happy for all of this; it could be one of the last Hurrahs.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And anyone expecting a detailed fact oriented stage documentary or a book that will depict Berry and Diana’s atrocities and crimes against humanity will be severely disappointed.
    We must be talking crimes against Mar.................hold on, that's Marv![/QUOTE]

I am in Detroit right now. I getting ready to go out for drinks. I'll let you know if anyone is even talking about this show. Duh? LOL!!!

A helluva good post Stu. Sounded like a lawyer letter except for the STFU line. Very well put.

MaryB.......glad to hear MaryW is giving the Musical a plug.

All Motown fans should be happy for all of this; it could be one of the last Hurrahs.
    Hi Rob...

Just that I was in Detroit and visited the Motown Museum a few weeks ago. A good friend from my college days is CEO of the museum and they're doing some terrific things there for the legacy and history of Motown as an integral and unique part of Detroits history. As for Mr Gordys musical project...I've know people out here in L.A., including several visits with Mr Valli personally over the past several years, and I'm really pleased to say that Franki's take over this whole Jersey Boys thing is greater than what he earned throughout the entire rest of his career. He's a really stand up guy and I'm happy to see the success...not just financial, but also for the legacy of just what he did back in the day towards the evolution of popular music. I'm glad that Berry Gordy now has the opportunity to do the same thing for just what he did. It's a phenomonal story.
    Last edited by StuBass1; 09-13-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    ..I've know people out here in L.A., including several visits with Mr Valli personally over the past several years, and I'm really pleased to say that Franki's take over this whole Jersey Boys thing is greater than what he earned throughout the entire rest of his career. He's a really stand up guy and I'm happy to see the success...not just financial, but also for the legacy of just what he did back in the day towards the evolution of popular music. I'm glad that Berry Gordy now has the opportunity to do the same thing for just what he did. It's a phenomonal story.
    JERSEY BOYS has done a lot to revitalize the career of Frankie and the 4 Seasons. And he will actually be competing with JERSEY BOYS for a week when he performs on the Broadway Stage for a week.

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons on Broadway
    Broadway Theatre
    Name:  Frankie-Valli.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  38.4 KB

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, the singing group chronicled in the Tony-winning musical Jersey Boys, makes its Broadway debut in this limited-run concert event.

Synopsis:
    The legendary singing group brings its classic music to Broadway for a seven-performance engagement.

Show Dates:
    Performances from 19 Oct 2012
    Closing 27 Oct 2012

Hi Rob...

Just that I was in Detroit and visited the Motown Museum a few weeks ago. A good friend from my college days is CEO of the museum and they're doing some terrific things there for the legacy and history of Motown as an integral and unique part of Detroits history. As for Mr Gordys musical project...I've know people out here in L.A., including several visits with Mr Valli personally over the past several years, and I'm really pleased to say that Franki's take over this whole Jersey Boys thing is greater than what he earned throughout the entire rest of his career. He's a really stand up guy and I'm happy to see the success...not just financial, but also for the legacy of just what he did back in the day towards the evolution of popular music. I'm glad that Berry Gordy now has the opportunity to do the same thing for just what he did. It's a phenomonal story.
    I find posterstelling other posters on this site to STFU amusing. The closeBroadwayBerry fan club [[Who alsomight be card-bearing members of the elite Motown Alumni Association [[MAA)?)seems to forget that unless you’re God…you don’t create alone.
    Motown wasconceived by Gordy, but he certainly did not go it alone as he built the Motownlabel during its critical formative years. Hell, Americastill had dual-labeled water fountains. Motown’s cross over sound required the entertainers, the musicians andkey Motown folks to create the fledging record label as a collective group – oras a family. Theysold it together. Obviously, BB’s memoryonly goes back to his LA Limo days. Andnot everyone wants to hang on to BB’s tuxedo coattails. Some Motown kids have simply wantedacknowledgement and respect as having been part of the Motown family.
    To assume thatBroadway Berry’s bountiful blessings to the world will be more than the Motownmusic itself would be asking too much of an old man in his eighties stilltrying “To Be Loved”. Again, BB can tell HIS version of HIS storyhis way. Story telling is an artform. And it also helps to have hadUniversal as a former backer; and now Sony.
    But, BB’s storyis considered a historically inaccurate version of Motown history according tosome university scholars and others who study Motown in its rawest form.
    It is alsorather comical that some posters have to mention their “thiscloseconnections”as a way of stating their own self-importance to Motown whether they were everrelevant or not. I find being low-keyis the best-key. [[Although - not a 2ndhand piano key.)
    Again, the MotownHistoricalMuseum is a thirty-something lifeless,rundown house that has been under the direction of an ineffective group ofboard members that have allowed it to deteriorate and contribute to Detroit’s inner-cityblight. Where has all that Motownmuseum grant, fundraising and Universal money gone? Financial accountability and oversight …where is it? It certainly has not shownup in the exterior/interior/inventory or educational and outreach programs forthe citizens of Detroit.
    There are manyreal people who are touched by Motown music … but never touched by the elusiveBB’s selective Motown magic memory.
    Didn’t the MotownMuseumbuild or buy a restaurant somewhere at one time? And to hurriedly abandon buildings … andleave important Motown history and ledgers behind has always been troubling andpuzzling. It’s a good thing that theDetroit Historical Society’s trustees are better at inventory and financialaccountability because Detroit’smusic scene needs preservation of its past; and elevation of its future as acompetitive music entertainment city. Maybe the MotownMuseumcan be donated to the Detroit Historical Society.
    I do want toreiterate that the Motown tribute show will make money … most of the qualityrun Motown tribute shows with a similar non-storyline or same storyline makemoney.
    So, let BroadwayBarry’s storyline compost pile form in the front of the theatre. Most people will know not to step in it andsimply enjoy the music.

Totally agree with Mirage on the MAA ~ just another coattails group that contributes nothing. And I'm sure it has nothing to do with Berry Gordy.

LOL...STFU was not intended for any specific poster here or anywhere else...just anyone who believes they have the Motown story right but not the time, inclination, backing, or ability to tell the story better than the man who started it all and was there every step of the way. Certainly others have written books, tried to do films [[SITSOM for example told a compelling story) and otherwise advanced their stories and involvement in Motown...so I say instead of bitching about Berry Gordy telling the story from his perspective...tell YOUR story or STFU. If your version is not commercially accepted...so be it...then nobody obviously cares. Two things everybody has...opinions and a** holes.

As far as the Museum...granted it's not the Smithsonian, but during my recent visit it brought back many fond memories and contained a lot of the feel and vibe from back in the day. It was a terrific experience, especially seeing the children, grandchildren, and many other relatives of the original people who worked at Hitsville back in the day taking part and pride in the facility. Those houses were NEVER the Taj Mahal...but of few tiny houses that made music history and they are in a very good state as of this day. Lamont Doziers daughter videotaped our entire visit and tour as we spoke of what went on there back in the day and what was going on all around the city as a result of Mr Gordys efforts on West Grand Blvd. Berry Gordy is someone to be celebrated for his success and giving the opportunity for success to so many...whether some of those individuals were ready to accept the responsibility for that success or not. He did the city proud with a minimal financial investment and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. MANY others tried and failed to accomplish a fraction of what Berry Gordy did. Perhaps the naysayers could write a play about some of those folks.
    Last edited by StuBass1; 09-14-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    JERSEY BOYS has done a lot to revitalize the career of Frankie and the 4 Seasons. And he will actually be competing with JERSEY BOYS for a week when he performs on the Broadway Stage for a week.

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons on Broadway
    Broadway Theatre
    Name:  Frankie-Valli.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  38.4 KB

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, the singing group chronicled in the Tony-winning musical Jersey Boys, makes its Broadway debut in this limited-run concert event.

Synopsis:
    The legendary singing group brings its classic music to Broadway for a seven-performance engagement.

Show Dates:
    Performances from 19 Oct 2012
    Closing 27 Oct 2012
    I suspect that Frankie and the groups appearance on Broadway will only serve to enhance the Jersey Boys shows and vice versa. Frankie and Bob Gaudio own virtually the entire Four Seasons catalogue. Ca-Ching
    Last edited by StuBass1; 09-14-2012 at 05:10 PM.

You have managed to tell us from your posts that you areaging; moved from Detroit to LA; you are one of Broadway Barry’s loyaldisciples; you like to visit family [[including grandchildren) in what is leftof Detroit; stop into “Grand” Old Hitsville because it looks like the same asit did 50+ years ago[[because it is the same although some cheap paint has beenslapped on it); attended college - either Howard or Harvard with Interim MotownMuseum CEO & astute Board Treasurer,Allen Rawls [[friend); and you like to drop as many names to link yourself toother Broadway Barry names as a way of communicating to us that you areimportant by association; and the “To Be Loved” Sony production is going to bea huge Broadway-Jersey Boys type tribute success story and will pay homage toBB His way. Guess that about sums upyour posts.
    Psychiatrists say that as we get older that our consciencebecomes reactive and we attempt to right past wrongs; mellow out; try to changethe world by becoming a humanitarian; and we rediscover God. However, these same docs also state thatother aging individuals cling to their real or imagined personas; inflatedself-importance and egos; become more self-absorbed; and desire more self-adulationas they upload birthdays; and they talk about God as if he were an extension ofthemselves.
    People either mellow out as they get older or they need tosign up for a “Charlie Sheen” anger management course.
    Each of us creates the patterns in our lives at everystage. To seek justice even for one isto seek justice for all. BB and his mobof disciples have not played well with the Motown family since new personnelshowed up at Motown one day packing a more direct approach to handling BB’sMotown business matters. Success,millions and maybe a “forced” move to LA left Detroiters and a Motown family ofentertainers wondering what the “hell” happened to Detroit’s happy family.
    Perhaps the “harmony” in the Donovan building was controlledby someone other than BB. The murky Detroit River smells pretty foul sometimes.
    How does a museum with all its entertainment connections,federal-state-city grant monies, sold-out fundraisers backed by sponsor dollarsand in-house tourist and other revenues account for where its money has beeninvested since it became a museum and designated Detroit historical landmark?
    No question - The Motown Historical Museum looks just like itdid over 50 years ago; but it’s less exciting to visit than when Motownentertainers and musicians actually made music there and held impromptu jamsessions. This is 2013 and the musicindustry is not 1960. Kids want morethan a nostalgic run-down former Motown house to stroll through; they want avibrant music place to have jam sessions. They want to imagine and create more music to add to the myth of the DetroitSound.
    This sounds like an educational community outreach program.
    Did I ever state in a post that I dropped by Detroit and Hitsville to see that there is no“Harmony” in that particular park? Did Ialso mention that while touring West Grand Boulevard, I visited the Motown Historical Museum on a Sunday withan associate and it was closed; attended a costly sold-out fundraiser only todiscover that it actually took a major financial “hit” instead of producing a hit?
    Next time I visit the outdated and decrepit museum, maybe I’llsee if God is available to video-tape the walk-through. I think He has a pretty big marquee name toshow that I’m well connected.
    Thanks to whomever runs this site for allowing myself andothers to vent here. I can now cancel myanger management session scheduled for next week. Thanks.
    Sorry I can’t get the run together words from straying intoeach other. I’ll figure it out when Ihave time.
    Agree with Robert’s MAA comment. And agree that Berry Gordy deserves what hegets. Cha-ching.

Geez...If it's me you're referring to...all I really said was that it's terrific that Mr Gordy is getting the opportunity to tell his amazing story from his own perspective. Anyone wishing to tell the Motown story from their perspective is welcome to do the same..but don't just sit there and bitch about the fact that Mr Gordy got The Neiderlander family to give his musical a shot at their theatre.

I did have a very enjoyable visit to The Motown Museum and recommend it to music fans who happen to live in or plan on visiting Detroit, and yes, Allen R is a friend and it was terrific visiting with him and his hosting us at the museum.

You sound quite bitter about ANYONE leaving Detroit for greener pasteurs...sorta like you got left behind...Sorry about that.

As for name dropping...just name mentioning. Also spent a great afternoon with Funk Brother Joe Messina back there talking music, Motown, and life in general.

As for the rest of your post...I really didn't understand much of the gobble de gook you wrote so I really can't comment on all of that. You sound quite angry and bitter. Sorry about that too.

Geez...If it's me you're referring to...all I really said was that it's terrific that Mr Gordy is getting the opportunity to tell his amazing story from his own perspective. Anyone wishing to tell the Motown story from their perspective is welcome to do the same..but don't just sit there and bitch about the fact that Mr Gordy got The Neiderlander family to give his musical a shot at their theatre.

I did have a very enjoyable visit to The Motown Museum and recommend it to music fans who happen to live in or plan on visiting Detroit, and yes, Allen R is a friend and it was terrific visiting with him and his hosting us at the museum.

You sound quite bitter about ANYONE leaving Detroit for greener pasteurs...sorta like you got left behind...Sorry about that.

As for name dropping...just name mentioning. Also spent a great afternoon with Funk Brother Joe Messina back there talking music, Motown, and life in general.

As for the rest of your post...I really didn't understand much of the gobble de gook you wrote so I really can't comment on all of that. You sound quite angry and bitter. Sorry about that too.
    Sadly, Marvage seems terribly bitter and apears to have a very unhealthy obsession with both Mr. Berry Gordy and the Motown Historical Museum.

I think it may be time to stick Mirage on ignore.

Best regards,

Roberta

Geez Roberta...Ya Think???

Geez Roberta...Ya Think???
    LOL StuBass1.

Yes. I've already placed dear Mirage on ignore.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Sadly, Marvage seems terribly bitter and apears to have a very unhealthy obsession with both Mr. Berry Gordy and the Motown Historical Museum.

I think it may be time to stick Mirage on ignore.

Best regards,

Roberta
    This reply is for Marv… sincere apologies. You are being accused by “Roberta” of being me. I’m sure I would never meet your standards.
    Obviously, there are some raw nerves out there when Motown is discussed from a purely “accountability” assessment. There is no problem with anyone making money and providing jobs to the real Motown family or tribute artists.

Integrity is always at issue when money changes hands. Wanting the best for Detroit and its citizens is a positive motive. Unfortunately, I neither claim Detroit as home or as a city I have never left.

I consider myself an equalizer of circumstances for a cityt hat needs a nonprofit museum that actually is proactive within its community.

And a Museum with such a glorified music history should fight for the same. 1985to 2012 … [[nothing but architect renderings of a dream that vanished with its funds)

It took Paul McCartney’s visit and funding to refurbish a 2ndtier Motown piano … Gordy and his Museum minions never gave it a second thought as it sat ready to be Donovan dumped. It took a Beatle to breathe new life into it while creating headlines and a $10,000 NYC Museum Fundraiser that raised an “undisclosed amount” for the Museum. Harmonies do repeatthemselves. A
    “cool” million dollars+ to benefit the Museum?

Bitterness about Gordy – tickles my ivories. What I find reprehensible is a pattern of financial Museum mismanagement and morally objectionable behavior toward former Motown alumni and a city already facing blight and flight.

Defensive replies are atypical and so-expected. Vested/connected interests always ignore and denythe facts and deflect the truth.

Where is the DetroitNews or Freep when a real unbiased journalist is needed to delve into the possibility that the Motown Museum may have lost millions during its nonprofit life span? How much does it cost to slap paint on an old house by its maintenance man? Or place a refurbished piano paid for by a former Beatle in a room? How many educational outreach programs to schools has the Museum funded?

Hell,what ever happened to the “Harmonie” handouts or the Motown 50 Gala fundraiser where big names and glitz were to bring the Museum funds to renovate, expand or do something?

Perhaps, the local Detroit journalists are cleaning out a dusty record bin for a review; writing a book; or maybe they are posting on a site under assumed aliases? Wait…no ethical journalist writingfor a major city daily would be posting here – it’s a conflict of interest.

Amusing - A name dropper thinks of himself as a name mentionerand considers 35+ years of Museum math “gobblede gook”. “Mr. Gordy got The Neiderlander family togive his musical a shot at their theatre” – Sony dollars did that for him. Rent money is a major motivator.

Appreciate that someposters have put me on Blocked and Locked. It says a lot about the company I don’t keep.

We can understand Roberta mixing the two names, if indeed she did.

Mirage is bitter over Berry Gordy's success. Marvage is bitter over Diana Ross's success.

I'm sure there are others who share the views, but there are few who publicly espouse it.

You made your point. I don't see that much will ever be done about it. It points out that there remains many disaffected ex-Motowners around.

We can understand Roberta mixing the two names, if indeed she did.

Mirage is bitter over Berry Gordy's success. Marvage is bitter over Diana Ross's success.

I'm sure there are others who share the views, but there are few who publicly espouse it.

You made your point. I don't see that much will ever be done about it. It points out that there remains many disaffected ex-Motowners around.
    What did I confuse? Now I'm confused. LOL

Roberta

What did I confuse? Now I'm confused. LOL

Roberta
    The accomplishment of what Gordy achieved through hisembarking on a difficult quest that created his Motown record label shouldnever be diminished by anyone. It was anextraordinary achievement during an extraordinary time in American history byan African-American man. Gordyenvisioned music as a way to unify rather than divide people. Motown music broke through the water fountainline.

Making money is certainly not a crime. Money is a great motivator.

Those who are bitter toward Gordy or someone in his innercircle, about having been slighted by them in some way, whether real orperceived, need to get over it and redirect that animosity toward positivechange in the music scene and Detroit.

Once upon a time, Gordy may have been a good man with goodintentions. A once well-intentioned mansometimes replaces those good intentions with indifference, ego and the needfor adulation.

The difference between a good man and a great man is theability to grow-up and grow-into a man that not only wants To Be Loved, but can return love.

If a man can graciously take credit for what heaccomplishes, but is also capable of taking criticism for past indiscretions;he may become a great man.

If a man is able to reunite both his real and extendedfamilies after leaving them behind for whatever reason; he may yet become agreat man.

A great man redeems himself when he owns what he did; makesamends for what he did and to whom he did it. Gordy might start by taking out his old musty Motown rolodex. It doesn’t have to be public; it only has tobe personal.

What Gordy left behind in the rubble of the Donovan building[[other than a very long paper trail &
    a future Best Seller) was his personal integrity and moral,if not ethical, obligations. To Gordy’scredit, maybe the way he moved up and out of Detroit to LA, was not actually his decisionto make alone. Maybe he was shoved inthat direction.

Motown family members and the City of Detroit didn’t care that Gordy wanted to moveup; they cared about how he made his move up without ever saying a polite andgracious good-bye.

Gordy is Detroitborn and bred. Most of the originalMotowners are Detroit. The people and the City shared Gordy’spassion and dream. Gordy, Motown and theMotor City grew up together.

Detroitcontinues to pay its respect to Broadway Gordy every time he enters the City tothrow a party. Whether that party evermakes money for anything other than the party is questionable.

Detroithas been left with nothing but an old Museum in disrepair [[never updated,expanded or modernized for the future).

It even took a former Beatle to provide his money to restorea second hand throw-away Steinway. McCartney is the Motown hero; Gordy, only a press release forMcCartney’s random act of kindness.

The NYC Steinway event raised a few dollars. Maybe the Museum can build a bust of BB ormaybe it can hire an outside independent accountant to do a “review” of itsnonprofit books. It was a nice NYC dayfor the event.

Motown the Musical is not a legacy. It’s a musical based upon a soundtrack thatdefines it. Motown music is thelegacy. The physical legacy that definesGordy in Detroit is the Motown Historical Museum.Gordy must be very proud.

President Reagan’s signature phrase was, “Trust, but verify”. A museum is a legacy built upon trust butthat trust needs to be verifiable.

Good men are many; great men are few. Nothing really more to say.

Touché’ on the raffle for preview tickets to BB’s MotownMusical starring tribute artists. It’s apoor man’s dream. [[not included transportation, NYC Hotel, meals, cabs) Quite a bargain.

Pass on it. Back to someweekend reading.

Sounds like Miss Ray maybe!

smark21 Guest
    Bits of the proposed show were performed the other night. Here’s a report:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/dailym...the_musi_1.php

smark21 Guest

Very nice indeed smark. I wonder why Martha Reeves wasn't at this event? Anyone know who is portraying Martha Reeves the First Lady of Motown Records in the musical?

Thank you again.

Roberta

Very nice indeed smark. I wonder why Martha Reeves wasn't at this event? Anyone know who is portraying Martha Reeves the First Lady of Motown Records in the musical?

Thank you again.

Roberta

Roberta – Sorry you didn’t get one of the gildedinvites. Better luck next time. Maybe you could call or email Herb Strather’sfriend, Susan Whitall, a Detroit News reporter, and ask her why Martha wasn’tby BB’s side.

But, then again Whitall obviously didn’t garner a covetedmedia invite either. She was AWOL. Norwas Billy Wilson of the fake Motown Alumni Association there. Maybe you and Billy could coordinate yourticket purchase and travel to the Big Apple together when “Motown the Musical”officially opens in the Spring.

If you want to find out about Martha or other invited guestswho were at the premiere, you might want to contact Brian McCollum, Detroit Free press reporter,who showed up for BB’s sleek peek of his honestlyenchanting bedtime story. Don’tknow how he managed to get an invite, but he was there along with other invitedmusic journalists. You guessed itRoberta, it was for media too.

Maybe McCollum is related to the other McCollum who is oneof the producers of the show. Not sure.
    Didn’t ask.

Hell, I would give you a recap on who was or wasn’t presentand include a detailed account of the post afterglow soirée, but whybother. It’s always “the same old song”with Broadway Berryand the mob that star-trek after him. Detroit to LA toNYC…

One suggestion for the opening performance of this honestly brilliant music story isthat you follow BB as he drives an expensive Chrysler taxpayer bailout car from Detroitto LA to NYC. Ford didn’t use bailoutmoney to keep its cars running. So BBand Chrysler are a perfect fit for this PR drive.

Note: The Motown music is worth the price of the ticketwhether you can afford a ticket to see it on Broadway [[hotel-dining-transportationexpenses separate) or see a similar Motown tribute show in a local communityvenue. It’s the music that sells theshow; not the mystique of BB and the clingy mob that he simply can’t shake asthey follow him.

You only have to listen to BB’s best friend, Smokey, speakabout Berryon a NYC Broadway stage to get all teary-bleary eyed.

Hope this helps you locate Miss Martha’s whereabouts.

Thank you Skooldem. Great interview.

http://www.motownthemusical.com/

There is an interview with Berry Gordy here.

I am really excited about this musical. If I am lucky, I will get to see it next year/summer.

Here is a new clip that shows some of the on stage performances.

To those that have seen the Jersey Boys, do they just use the music that made them famous, or did they also include new songs? I'm curious to know if Motown the Musical will just use Motown's famous songs, or if new songs have been written to help with the development of the storyline.

I don't remember any original songs written for the show, just Four Seasons songs and also some songs of the period like, Silhouettes and My Boyfriends Back.

Also saw Baby It's You, which had no original songs, just Shirelles, other Scepter acts and songs of the period like You're So Fine, Our Day Will Come, and even You've Really Got a Hold On Me. Critics did not like the show. I did. And I am confident that I will enjoy Motown the Musical for what it is, a musical about the life of Berry and his label. It is not a documentary.

Who's playing Supremes Mary Wilson Florence Ballard or Cindy Birdsong?
    Please stay positive

I don't know, but sometimes some of the actors play various roles so it is possible that an actor may appear as a Supreme, a Vandella, a Marvellette etc. Of course, not Diana or Martha or other lead singers

From the little that I know about this show, that may not happen here since some of the groups will have to appear together at the same time on stage - like maybe the Motown Revue or the Apollo. Anyhow, they're spendng enough money on this show, so they should have individual actors for each group instead of interchangeable actors

I would agree; I don't think there will be a lot of interchangeable actors. But I think they made clear the story is centred on Berry, Diana, Smokey, Marvin, Stevie, & Michael.

Previous Hot 100 Maroon 5 stays on top
    Billboard 200 Mumford & Sons top again
    R&B Songs Rihanna shines bright
    Country Songs Taylor Swift rocks
    Rap Songs PSY rules with 'Style'
    Rap Albums Kanye's GOOD Music tops
    Adult Pop Songs P!nk's 'Blow Me' is No. 1
    R&B/Hip-Hop Albums Miguel takes the lead

Here is an item from Billboard.com you should enjoy. Click on the link below to check it out.

Your message has been sent ! Close

Motown is coming to Broadway. ' Motown: The Musical,' opening on April 14, is bringing the legacy of Motown founder Berry Gordy to New York City's Lunt-Fontanne Theatre.

Berry Gordy Starts Motown

The musical will showcase interweaving stories of Gordy and the artist careers he's helped launch, including Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and more.

The launch event of the anticipated production brought out stars for a sneak peek performance. Aretha Franklin, Smokey Robinson, L.A. Reid, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Marcus Canty, and more attended.

"For years people said if I didn't do something live, real, on broadway, I should see a psychiatrist and so I am here," Gordy joked at the event.

"Motown: The Musical" opens on April 14 and runs through June 22. Previews for the show will begin on March 11.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 10-11-2012 at 06:01 PM.

HomeShows Restaurants NewsDiscountsJobs< Previous Next >

Motown — The Musical
    Company: Kevin McCollum, Doug Morris, Berry Gordy
    Category: Performer

Paid: yes

Description:

Kevin McCollum, Doug Morris, Berry Gordy | New York, NY

Contract
    Production [[League)
    $1,754/week minimum

Personnel
    Producers: Kevin McCollum, Doug Morris, Berry Gordy
    Dir: Charles Randolph-Wright
    Casting: Telsey + Company / Bethany Knox

Other Dates
    LUNT FONTANE THEATRE [[NYC)
    1st Rehearsal: on/about January 14, 2013
    1st Preview: on/about March 11, 2013

Other
    Music Super: Ethan Popp
    Choreog: Patricia Wilcox and Warren Adams
    General Mngt: Bespoke Theatricals

Seeking
    Strong Male and Female Actor/ singers for a new musical
    Book: Berry Gordy
    Music and Lyrics: Various Motown composers
    See Breakdown!

Breakdown
    SEEKING:

[LITTLE MICHAEL JACKSON] Male, ages 8-11. Also plays Little Stevie Wonder and Young Berry Gordy. Must be charismatic and have a great high tenor singing voice, like Michael Jackson in “I Want You Back.” ALSO SEEKING UNDERSTUDY. [[PRINCIPAL ROLE)

[MARVIN GAYE] Male, 20s, to portray the physical and vocal likeness of Marvin Gaye. Must have a fantastic soaring high tenor singing voice. Should also move/dance well. [[PRINCIPAL ROLE)

[SMOKEY ROBINSON] Male, 20s, to portray the physical and vocal likeness of Smokey Robinson. Must have a fantastic soaring high tenor singing voice. Should also move/dance well. [[PRINCIPAL ROLE)

[FEMALE SINGERS] African-American, females, 20s, attractive with a slender build. Must be 5’4” to 5’8”, move very well and have an amazing pop singing voice to cover Diana Ross and others. [[FEATURED ENSEMBLE ROLE)

[MALE BASS] African-American, male, 20s. Attractive with a solid low C and must also move well. [[FEATURED ENSEMBLE ROLE)

Appointments
    Open Call

Response Method[[s):
    At Audition
    Audition Date:
    Saturday, November 10th, 2012
    10 AM – 2 PM
    Sign in begins at 9 AM
    Unofficial sign-up lists will NOT be honored
    ߦ A monitor will not be provided. The producer will run all aspects of this audition.

Audition Notes:
    Prepare a Motown song; show range. Bring sheet music in the correct key; an accompanist will be provided, but may not transpose. Please bring a photo and resume, stapled back-to-back.

6817 Franklin Ave
    Hollywood, CA
    At Franklin Avenue & North Highland Avenue

There are 6 principal parts - Berry, Diana, Michael, Marvin, Stevie & Smokey.

I'm there will be shoutouts to other acts and other artists and people and their songs; but the main story is going to be about those 6 people.

Mary Wilson is advertising Motown the Musical on her website, appears to have been invited to the opening and appears to be going.

Probably some fans of the less well known Motown artists will be disappointed but they'll be about the only ones. It was only because Motown was so successful that there is such interest in the backup singers, musicians, producers, writers and everyone involved
    in all aspects of Motown.

MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL - AUDIENCE REACTIONS

They even recreate a scene from M25.

Excellent. A hit already.

I read an article today about the preview show. I won't post it because it had to many factual errors. One thing that was interesting, and it was something I had suspected. A major theme of this musical is the romance between Diana and Berry. They mentioned something about Paris. They said the play was basically a "love story" and that even though Berry doesn't sing, his character and the Diana Ross character sing Marvin and Tammi duets to each other.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 10-25-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Well of course Berry will sing. It is a musical. And I think you answered an earlier question posted by someone else. It appears that they will use the music, not only by the singers and groups in concert; but to also move the story along in song.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I read an article today about the preview show. I won't post it because it had to many factual errors. One thing that was interesting, and it was something I had suspected. A major theme of this musical is the romance between Diana and Berry. They mentioned something about Paris. They said the play was basically a "love story" and that even though Berry doesn't sing, his character and the Diana Ross character sing Marvin and Tammi duets to each other.
    Well the romance between Diane Ross and Berry Gordy is a true love story. I am looking forward to this musical and while I think it real nice that the Berry and Diane love story is the theme of the movie I hope the First Lady of Motown Recods Miss Martha Reeves is prominently featurred.

Roberta