[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

"Berry Gordy's Motown" to open on Broadway March 11th 2013.

Last edited by Roberta75; 08-27-2012 at 02:46 PM.

August 27, 2012 at 2:57 pm
    'Motown: The Musical' finds its Berry Gordy, Diana Ross
    By Susan Whitall The Detroit News0Comments Brandon Victor Dixon will play Berry Gordy in the new Motown: The Musical, to debut in April 2013 [[Handout photo)Producers of the Berry Gordy-penned, Broadway-bound "Motown: The Musical" have announced the actors who will portray Gordy and his muse and greatest female star, Diana Ross, as well as other production details.
    Brandon Victor Dixon, nominated for a Tony for his role in "The Color Purple," will play Gordy. Valisia LeKae, who's appeared in "The Book of Mormon," "Ragtime" and "The Threepenny Opera," is set to play Ross, the ambitious teenager from Detroit's Jeffries projects.
    The musical, with a book written by Gordy and featuring songs from the vast Motown catalog, will begin preview performances March 11, 2013, and will open on Broadway at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre [[205 W. 46th St.) a month later, April 14.
    The musical will be directed by Charles Randolph-Wright, and Gordy is a co-producer of the show, along with Kevin McCollum and Doug Morris. It's been Gordy's dream to tell the story of his early struggle, when the self-described slacker of the Gordy family, lucky to have a job on a Ford assembly line, cadged a loan from his skeptical family to launch a Detroit-based record company that became an international sensation.
    An 18-piece orchestra conducted by Ethan Popp will reproduce the "Sound of Young America," choreography will be directed by Patricia Wilcox [["Blues in the Night") and Warren Adams [["Toy Story: The Musical"), costume design will be by ESosa [["The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess") and scenic design by David Korins [["Bring It On: The Musical").
    A special pre-sale of tickets for "Motown: The Musical" will start Sept. 23 for Citibank cardholders. Tickets will go on sale to the general public Oct. 1
    Casting for the roles of other Motown greats, including Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson, will be announced soon.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz24ml3GT9I

Even though the story will only be "the basics", with the music, this has the potential to be a huge Broadway hit and bring Motown back to the people, especially the young people.

smark21 Guest
    Broadway tickets are so expensive that they’re out of reach for most young people. Unless by young people you mean children who might be taken to the show by a parent or grandparent.

and it's all about ****MISS DIANA ROSS!!!!****[[as it should be...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Sure it is. They don't even know where she comes from! hehehehehehehe!

"is set to play Ross, the ambitious teenager from Detroit's Jeffries projects."

you startin that bullshit again? It's about Motown. Diana is just the first role they announced the casting on. Quit actin like Levi, Marvin, and everybody else is just some footnote.

There are gonna be some real footnotes; some of the keen fans of the lesser knowns have to be prepared to be disappointed, more so than for Motown 25.

I wonder who's playing Mary Wilson Florence Ballard and Cindy Birdsong LOL
    Please stay positive

Motown fans have to realize that this musical is about Berry Gordy's life- with motown artist and music as the back drop. This is not about every single person who was signed to that label. The play has to have "main" characters and a "good" story that will keep you entertained for 3 hours. Look for big story lines for Mary Wells, Diana, Berry, Smokey and Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Motown fans have to realize that this musical is about Berry Gordy's life- with motown artist and music as the back drop. This is not about every single person who was signed to that label. The play has to have "main" characters and a "good" story that will keep you entertained for 3 hours. Look for big story lines for Mary Wells, Diana, Berry, Smokey and Michael.
    My thoughts exactly. I might add Marvin and David to your list. Although the Four Tops were a big group, they were not controversial and it is controversy that sells.

Yes, I meant to add in Marvin.

Who will the villian/s be?

the sub title for this show is...
    "An Evening With Diana Ross"...and I Can't Wait!!!!!!

If my memory is good, they were only looking for a Diana, Berry, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Those looked like the main characters.

I'm sure that an important part of this musical will be the love between Berry and Diana. The dynamic duo. Against all odds reaching for the stars- "the impossible dream". It can't be too focused on Diana- but she will be one of the main characters and I think that the relationship and what they accomplished together will be a huge part of the overall theme. In essence, yes, this will be about Diana and Berry and Smokey and little Michael Jackson.

the sub title for this show is...
    "An Evening With Diana Ross"...and I Can't Wait!!!!!!
    Hmm! That brings back memories from the bicentennial year
    Name:  dr.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  69.1 KB

....and Marvin. Can't forget Marvin. Maybe he will be the "troubled man".

Berry and Miss Ross will be 'the sun',,,
    there will be a few smaller planets that revolve around them from time to time, but it will be Ross and Gordy who 'shine'...
    did you all get a ticket yet?

What about Janie Bradford?
    Raynoma Mayberry Liles Gordy Singleton?

ummmmmmmmm...probably NOT!!

ummmmmmmmm...probably NOT!!
    LOL, you're probably right. This is Berry's "story" afterall.

And with the magic of Broadway, I'm sure the loan was $80.00, that Diana was still a virgin, and he alone discovered the Jackson 5!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    What about Janie Bradford?
    Raynoma Mayberry Liles Gordy Singleton?
    LOL. Unless you want this play to be nine hours long I doubt it.

Roberta

Mary, you are being bad.

As I recall in Berry's book, he said this equipment was not in good working order on Night 1, so one assumes things remained intact.

This reminds me of a joke I heard about 30 years ago on Princess Anne's Wedding night. Some comic was having his first opening night ever. And he said, "Coincidentally, Princess Anne is also having her first opening tonight."

smark21 Guest
    What I’m most interested in the show is what songs will be performed, how will they be arranged and performed [[hopefully not too Broadway), and which songs will be used to advance/tell the story and develop the characters and which songs will be performance spots.

I suspect the producers will hire an ensemble chorus of 5-10 men and women to perform as various group members.

It will be interesting if this show will be good. And will it be a Jersey Boys hit or a Baby It’s You flop?

If it's a hit, Hip-O-Select may have to step up its release schedule a bit for Diana Ross, Diana Ross & the Supremes, & Marvin Gaye. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Stevie Wonder's heart was so moved by the play as to authorize expanded editions of his Motown catalog and the inclusion of his 1972 singles in the Complete Motown Singles

smark21 Guest
    HEre's the official website for the show:

http://www.motownthemusical.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If my memory is good, they were only looking for a Diana, Berry, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Those looked like the main characters.
    That is because this is going to be a fluff piece! I met Berry Gordy's former accountant today in Manhattan by the way.......

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is because this is going to be a fluff piece! I met Berry Gordy's former accountant today in Manhattan by the way.......
    Well, if anyone could verify that it is going to be a fluff piece, it would be Berry's former accountant

But seriously, I tend to agree with you. It is a musical - a jukebox musical at that - and they tend to be fluff pieces. A strong book usually eliminates the fluff, but in this case the book of the musical is by Berry and so it will probably be a slight book, just enough to string the Motown hits together.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Is the accountant presenting his version on Broadway? It'll be interesting to hear the story from 2 different perspectives- although Berry's would likely offer observations from a longer time-frame than the accountant.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Is the accountant presenting his version on Broadway? It'll be interesting to hear the story from 2 different perspectives- although Berry's would likely offer observations from a longer time-frame than the accountant.
    Nah, where did I say that or where did you hear that? You still are having a problem reading and understanding things I see.

‘Motown: The Musical’ picks its stars to play Berry Gordy and Diana Ross

Brandon Victor Dixon, a Tony nominee for 'The Color Purple,' and Valisia LeKae, an understudy in 'The Book of Mormon,' land coveted roles
    Comments [[1)
    By Joe Dziemianowicz / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Monday, August 27, 2012, 3:07 PM

Updated: Monday, August 27, 2012, 5:39 PM
    Courtesy of Motown: The Musical

Brandon Victor Dixon, who will play Berry Gordy in ‘Motown, The Musical’

We heard it through the grapevine — and from the producers.

Brandon Victor Dixon, a Tony nominee for “The Color Purple,” and Valisia LeKae, an understudy in “The Book of Mormon” and “Ragtime,” will star as Berry Gordy and Diana Ross on Broadway in “Motown: The Musical.”

The show, set to premiere in the spring, is based on Gordy’s life and woven together by hits from the massive Motown catalogue.

Gordy, 82, one of the show’s producers and its book writer, said on the musical’s website: “I’m extremely proud to be bringing this story to the big stage.”

The story tracks his rise from boxer to music mogul and 1960s starmaker who launched the careers of Ross and the Supremes, Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson and others.

“There are so many similarities between the Broadway philosophy and the Motown philosophy,” said Berry, who noted that both are motored by “collaboration and community.”

Courtesy of Motown: The Musical

Valisia LeKae, who will play Diana Ross in ‘Motown, The Musical’

He marveled at Motown’s inclusive popularity. “Blacks, whites, Jews and Gentiles, cops and the robbers” all embraced it, he said.

In addition to playing Harpo in “Color Purple,” Dixon’s Off-Broadway leads include “The Scottsboro Boys” and “Rent.” He told The News that he admires the man he’ll portray on stage.

“Berry has always held a special place in my esteem,” he said. “I have love and respect for what he did, not just for music, but for us as a global community. His work truly changed the world, so this is a very special honor. Also, it’s just plain awesome.

“My introduction to Motown was through the Jackson Five,” he continued, “and Michael Jackson has always been my greatest inspiration.”

Earlier this summer, an online casting call went out for a young actor to play a young Michael Jackson, little Stevie Wonder and a pre-teen Gordy. That casting and other roles will be announced later.

While relatively unknown in New York, LeKae’s regional work has turned heads. Her 2010 portrayal of Sarah in a Chicago production of “Ragtime” earned her a Jefferson Award nomination. And in a 2008 production of “Dreamgirls” in Raleigh, N.C., she was applauded for the “steely strength” and “electricity” she brought as Deena, a role based on Ross.

Adds “Motown” director Charles Randolph-Wright: “I asked everyone auditioning for these icons not to copy them but to evoke them.” Valisia “walked in,” he said, “and the audition and the temperature changed. It is an exhilarating performance.”

The creative team of “Motown” includes choreographers Patricia Wilcox and Warren Adams and designers David Korins [[set), ESosa [[costumes), Natasha Katz [[lights) and Peter Hylenski [[sound).

The show will begin previews on March 11 and officially open April 13 at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. Tickets will go on sale to Citibank cardholders on Sept. 23 and the general public on

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz255x2nSKg

I'm really looking forward to this I just hope the world doesn't end in December of this year like their calling for [[again!) lol

Attachment 5406

Berry Gordy and the Cast

Looks like this is really going to happen. Exciting. When do tickets go on sale? Dare I say that we just may get to see a "Supremes" reunion at the opening. Discuss. LOL.

Is that the lady with the 60's style wig the actress playing Diana Ross? If so, she is already learning her character. Do something to stand out in a group picture. So funny.

Is that the lady with the 60's style wig the actress playing Diana Ross? If so, she is already learning her character. Do something to stand out in a group picture. So funny.
    She must be!

This could easily be what's needed to bring Motown to a whole new generation and could easily blow Motown 50 right out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    That lady to the right of Mr. Gordy has Diane's 1960's hair down. I bet this will be a great musical. I wonder who is playing the First Lady of Motown Miss Martha Reeves?

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Looks like this is really going to happen. Exciting. When do tickets go on sale? Dare I say that we just may get to see a "Supremes" reunion at the opening. Discuss. LOL.
    Tickets go on sale October 1st to the general public. It would be nice if all living Motown artists were at the opening performance

Thanks for replying. It would be nice if as many as possible could attend. The only problem with that- is that a wonderful evening will be messed up because some will cry foul that they are not represented in the play.

no musicians then..........

no writers........producers...........arrangers...... ...

at least nobody has mentioned them on here

How much would a ticket cost for this?.....I'm in New York next year.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    no musicians then..........

no writers........producers...........arrangers...... ...

at least nobody has mentioned them on here

How much would a ticket cost for this?.....I'm in New York next year.
    The Motown Story included artists, writers and producers and arrangers so I'm sure all will be included in the musical to some degree. Pricing: $66.50 - $135.50. Tickets can also be gotten at discount. A $135 ticket can usually be gotten for about $ 85. It's expensive, but nothing is better than live entertainment.

Thanks
    I'd like to see it..........but suspect It would be a frustrating evening for me.
    I'll wait for a few reviews.

They only advertised for a few principal characters: Berry, Diana, Smokey, Marvin, Stevie and Michael.

I can see this being huge; and also huge in terms of generating interest in the original music.

But for real fans, I can see considerable frustration; as in: Did you like their version of Dancing in the Street and Get Ready? As in many producers, arrangers, writers, background artists and artists that weren't in the top tier of hitmakers or were members of groups that had many members pass through them ~ all getting lumped together as "others" in group sing alongs.

That was just a preview. I don't think that is an actual medley or scene from the musical.

I love it,these young people is gonna put Motown back on the map,back in the spotlight,yes Motown is forever.
    Please stay positive

smark21 Guest
    Yes, it is the actress cast to play Diana Ross. Her name is Valisa LeKae.