[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    LOL ! No,just doing my part to keep a certain style of jazz alive,that's widely forgotten today.
    [[and I'm saving the best for tomorrow night. ) IT'S ON !!!!!!!!

I remember when this album was released. The "pure" jazz critics hated it. This was Miles comeback album,from taking a 5 year hiatus. Many thought he would have returned to his roots of straight ahead/post bop jazz,and not leave off in the electric funk fusion of the 70s.

This was a new band that was backing up Miles. [[Mike Stern,Bill Evans,Marcus Miller,Sammy Figueroa etc;.Drummer Al Foster was the only senior member of the Miles camp)

Miles always march to the beat of his own drum. [[love it or hate it, it's Miles !)

Thumbs up

Don't forget,tonight's the night. 9pm-midnigh [[cst)

http://whpk.org and iTunes [[look under College/University)

Great stuff on here. Classic, Blues, Jazz, Funk, R&B, Soul, Gospel, Country it's all in the mix. It's a mix of all.

one of my all time favorite Leny and Verdine White playing a real tight section. Yeah, every time i hear it.

soounds smooth somehow

my first encounter with fusion in life a band called OPA from the south. Love there music. Airto Moira and Flora Purim also perform on the albums.

Thanks again for posting the clips,Ollie. I hope you will be tuning in,as well.

I'm getting my selections together,and heading out the door. I'll talk to you at 9pm.[[cst)

Gary you are a master, your show is popping...oK time for another Stella, if ya'll aint listening to him now, shame on you !

http://www.whpk.org/stream/

Amen, Kdubya...I'm over here, partyin' like it's 1974...LOL Gino Vanelli right now...I'm in heaven

Thanks gang !

and I'm just getting warmed up.

I KNEW your article would go there...BUT....what did I say?...A marketing idea!!! HELLO!

Keep playin' that "urban", "jungle" music, G.! Now, I'm back in 1976...Time travelin' thru the music tonite, yes SIR...

One of my favorites from Lenny White

cool stuff

Will do,the night is still young.

great GeeTee, keep doing what your doing

Thanks ollie,and thanks everybody for listening. The 3 hours zoomed,but I hope I was able to get my point across musically.
    I want to thank my co-host,Ms Tina M. Howell for sitting in,and help putting the word out.

In case you missed it or want to hear the show again,the podcast link is up and ready. Thanks again,and who knows,when we might cross this musical path again. [[I still didn't get a chance to play everything,but you get the idea of where I'm coming from) :-) Good Morning ! http://whpk.org/temp/201008122100.mp3

If any members on SDF living in or near the Long Beach area, this weekend is the Long Beach Jazz Festival. [[8/13-8/15)

Friday night is the reunion of Wayne Henderson and Joe Sample of the Legendary Crusaders. rummer Stix Hooper will not be on board,due to the fact that he's operarting a business out of Washington state,and is no longer working as a musician. :-[[
    Also missing from the reunion show is saxophonist Wilton Felder. Felder collasped with what was later diagnosed as a growth on his spine that paralyzed him from the waist down. He's unable to play his horn at the moment.
    Filling in for Felder is Steve Grove [[aka Euge Groove) ,Joe's son Nick Sample on upright bass and drummer Moyes Lucas.

Saturday's show will be a all-star tribute to the late saxophonist Gtover Washington Jr. led by keyboardist Jason Miles and featuring saxophonist Ronnie Laws and vocalist Chante Moore.

Sunday's bill will include singer Al Jarraeu,keyboardist George Duke, bassist Marcus Miller revisting the album he produced for Miles Davis in 1986 "Tutu" ,with trumperter Christian Scott and vocalist Laura Izibor.

Special thanks to A.Scott Galloway,for alerting me about this fantastic show. [[I wish I could be in Long Beach this weekend)
    This lineup has contemporary jazz / jazz fusion marked all over it. [[no "smooth jazz" here,so there's still hope !)

I'm sending my prayers for Wilton Felder,and hope he recuperates and gets well.

get the idea, yes. Good vibes come from speakers that blow out real music, played by people with a good taste. Good show. Will listen to it completley this evening. Thx for the link.
    Sad to hear Mr Felder isn't doing well, i hope he'll be back as before. Admirable musician and human being.

Man, dude I wish I could be in Long beach for this show. Guess I'll have to settle for this !

Appearing August 14 at Country Club Hills......going to check on tickets now, I had forgot about this set......

Although I have some reservations about this set....hmmmmmmmmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Uh Oh, tickets that are left are a bit pricey for me......maybe next time lol.........guess I'll have to make a run to Peabody's .....and Smokey on the 24th is sold out...oh well

I heard about the George Duke/David Sanborn show too late in order for me to go,but I'm going to try and get a ticket for this show.

Name:  herbie hancock.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  26.5 KB

Saturday August 21st at Chicago Symphony Center 7:30 pm
    http://cso.org

Kevgo, the Wave is still here on the West Coast. In the early '90s, I thought this station was the bomb for smooth jazz listening . I can't express my surprise and disappointment the first time I heard the likes of Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder, Anita Baker, etc., being played. I have nothing against these artists, as a matter of fact, I like them, but not as a part of the "smooth jazz" format. Needless to say, I'm no longer as loyal a listener.

That's what happens when "the power that be" comes in and mix things up,for #s & $$$.

I know what you mean GETEE. They ditched the "Kool Jazz " station here in NYC several years ago. I missed it for only a moment mainly because it had gotten a bit ridiculous playing artists such as Michael McDonald and Seal on a regular basis. What they had become was an Adult Comptemporary mess masquerading as a Jazz station. I was lost, but now that I've found Planet Jazz out of Montreal [[ http://planetejazz.ca/) , I'm cool again. Montreal is truly the Jazz Capital of North America. They have such an appreciation and respect for Jazz [[in all of it's forms ) that I have not seen here in the States in many,many years.

In order to hear "real good music" of any genre, it's mainly on the internet,low powered college or community oriented radio,or satellite radio. [[if you feel you want to play to be satified) If you're waiting on commercial radio to be your outlet, keep waiting .........

When the FCC allow major corperation to buy chains of radio stations,that was the end there. Clear Channel is the #1 villian,when it comes to radio. [[there are others the follow along the line,but Clear Channel monopolized the game !)

Thank God, I never landed a job in commercial radio. I love the freedom I have to do what I do,and still have a life.
    If you notice last night,I played very few Public Service Announcements,and focused more on the music.
    [[ I couldn't have gotten away with that on commercial radio,or as Donald Trump would have say "You're Fired !" )

We don't even have a commercial station the plays mainstream,bop,or big band jazz. You have to hear it on the left end of the dial. I find it funny that we have one of the largest jazz festivals in Chicago,but no jazz on the airwaves. [[except "smooth jazz")

Look at the lineup for this year's Chicago Jazz Festival. http://www.chicagofestivals.net [[go to the right side,and click jazz festival)

By the way, lots of good feedback from last night show. Thanks for listening,and Part 3 may be coming sooner than you think. [[stay tuned .............)

Gary are you shhhhhhtttttnnnnnnnn me ? What line up ? O man O man we are losing it, I thought the only drought was the African Fest, now this.......Ramsey & Norman Brown......but really no one else, uh excuse me Ernie Watts is cool, but I'm just saying......

What can I say ? I don't know who's in change of putting the lineup together,but it is what it is. The local acts on the other stage,are worth seeing. I guess I'll have to settle for the Hyde Park Jazz Festival. http://hydeparkjazzfestival.org
    The best of the best of Chicago jazz musicians and vocalists,and it's FREE !

That's a busy weekend here, too, for festivals. I do believe that the North Coast Festival is that weekend, too, at Union Park. Quite an interesting, eclectic lineup, too... And, I like that venue...Comfy, cozy and just steps away from the El

Flip a coin,see what it lands on,and make your decision from there. lol :-) Lot's of options ......

One of the World's best Jazz Festivals is the Annual Montreal Jazz Festival that runs for 2 consecutive weeks every July! They've been at it for over 25 years and know how to put on great shows and concerts.

Now, if you want to talk about losing it. Ever hear of the "Kool Jazz Festival" aka " The Riverfront Jazz Festival" in Cincinnati? It has morphed into a hip-hop throw the sink in type stadium concert thing. It's been going steadily down hill for over 20 years now.

I remember the Kool Jazz Festival. I guess some things will never stay the same. As I mentioned earlier,the Long Beach Jazz Fest,sounds like the place to be this weekend.

Went to "Kool" in Cincy and Milwaukee as well as here in the city, in fact when e mail's came along, it inspired my address..........now as far as travels go
    I have been a traveling man most of my life just ask somebody..........

Kdub
    Attached Images Attached Images  

nice logo,very fitting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee[[HPK) View Post
    I remember when this album was released. The "pure" jazz critics hated it. This was Miles comeback album,from taking a 5 year hiatus. Many thought he would have returned to his roots of straight ahead/post bop jazz,and not leave off in the electric funk fusion of the 70s.

This was a new band that was backing up Miles. [[Mike Stern,Bill Evans,Marcus Miller,Sammy Figueroa etc;.Drummer Al Foster was the only senior member of the Miles camp)

Miles always march to the beat of his own drum. [[love it or hate it, it's Miles !)
    And singer Randy Hall on the title-track

Yep,and a few other Chicago musicians were on that album. [[Felton Crews and Robert Irving III)

Well I'm glad to see that this thread has grown some legs. [[thanks Cozmic and Ollie for the youtube clips)

The first two recordings of Kenny G, I happen to like,until he fell off. [[at least it had some soul to it)
    You're welcome GeeTee [[i'm late with this, lol). Yeah, and indeed great clips yall !

I remember buying Kenny G's debut-album and the second albumtrack being an instant favorite, although a more vocal song :

This was in that mode of Jeff Lorber's vocal productions.

Yep,and a few other Chicago musicians were on that album. [[Felton Crews and Robert Irving III)
    And they were part of Randy's band too when he went solo. Former drummer and nephew of Miles, Vince Wilburn, Jr. was part of Randy's band as well. Vince toured also with Cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    One of my favorites from Lenny White

cool stuff
    Awesome album indeed ! "12 Bars from Mars" ... great silly title lol !
    I also often played "Time" with that tight break of Lenny with Marcus Miller.

GeeTee the selection reminds me of a 2 club i used to play, Cape Coast and Mile Smiles. Always jazz fusion as we called it back then. Chidrummer great peace from Lenny, what a creative output and drummer.
    I think this is smooth as can be. Earlier than the rest but smooth.

how about

always loved this version of this classic tune. Chet Baker on Trumpet, Paul Desmond Altsax, Ron Carter Bass, Steve Gadd Drums and Don Sebesky conducting.

and

wow life is good with so much music to choose from.

oops

Cool

I grew up during the 1970's listening to Smooth Jazz and i'm a big fan of Fusion and to me Smooth Jazz is the music that cats like Grover Washington,Jr,Bob James,David Sanborn,Norman Connors,Earl Klugh..etc were putting out.

Let me post some of my favorites......

Wilbert Longmire - Diane's Dilemma[[1979)

Richard Tee - Now[[1980)

I like the term contemporary jazz instead of smooth jazz,because the artist mentioned above,was the style they were playing.

Wow paul1970. The late, great Richard Tee and you might as well say Stuff back in the day. I haven't seen the cover of Champagne in years. I remember Wilbert being quite proud of this record. Plenty of heavyweights were on this one too. They only played Love's Holiday in Cincinnati at the time though. We all thought he was going to be the next George Benson. That didn't quite happen, but Longmire's rhythm guitarist, Sheldon Reynolds did end up getting the gig with Earth Wind & Fire some years later. Good memories.

Cool

Wow paul1970. The late, great Richard Tee and you might as well say Stuff back in the day. I haven't seen the cover of Champagne in years. I remember Wilbert being quite proud of this record. Plenty of heavyweights were on this one too. They only played Love's Holiday in Cincinnati at the time though. We all thought he was going to be the next George Benson. That didn't quite happen, but Longmire's rhythm guitarist, Sheldon Reynolds did end up getting the gig with Earth Wind & Fire some years later. Good memories.

Yeah with Wilbert's talent he should have been at least as big as George Benson or Earl Klugh was.

Here's his version of Love's Holiday which to my mind is better than the EWF/Maurice White version..

Wilbert Longmire - Love's Holiday[[1979)

When I was doing my show last week, I had some Wilbert Longmire with me,but didn't have the time to play him. I have all three of his Tappan Zee albums,and they're very good. If all goes well,we might end up doing a follow up next month,and I will make sure to play some Wilbert Longmire.

In fact,Wilbert is still active musically in Cincinnati,and you can find him on Facebook.

Sheldon Reynolds did end up getting the gig with Earth Wind & Fire some years later. Good memories.
    I wonder if Sheldon was already part of Byron Byrd's Sun, back then. He recorded with them somewhere between 1979 and 1982.

smooth jazz is just a way of getting people who wouldnt know jazz if it landed on them to listen to something so they can say i like jazz.like its got some style to say it.i like jazz,who do you like then? "micheal bubble".what about stevie wonder?is he jazz? all the jazz artists [[fusion,jazz/funk you name it) from 70 whatever have done jazz",smooth" funk ,rough funk,where does the generic jazz get to its smallest point?lift jazz,supermarket jazz,driving my car jazz,airport jazz.soul singers singing jazz,jazz singers singing soul.soul/jazz,jazz/soul.smooth soul.
    we got soul singers that sing ballads,mid tempo and uptempo......still soul singers not just one kind of soul singer.
    what about grover's"mister magic" and "feels so good" or george duke dont let go,reach for it,from me to you yet we have a list of smooth operators that at sometime have done something "smooth".depending on the style of his/her last album any artist can get from one jazz genre to another that doesnt make sense,feels so good-a secret place a lot of what is called smooth is latin so why did latin get left out?latin/smooth,latin/funk, we're going to vanish into so many genres and sub genres generated by music press critics we wont even know what label to put on the stuff we used to know what it was called by.
    as for spiro gyra listen to the album before morning dance,another similar group mezzoforte from iceland they're good aswell bit rough a bit smooth.[[didnt mean it. not rough jazz) just an observation,its all good to me
    Last edited by tamla617; 08-21-2010 at 11:04 PM.

It's just a label. In regards to Grover's CTI recordings and a few of the George Duke recordings that you mentioned,I would say that they would fall under the category of contemporary jazz/jazz fusion. It had a R&B feel with some funk and rock mixed in between.

As I said before,you would not hear on so called "smooth jazz" because it's too funky for that format.

geetee
    you're right,of course.you wouldnt get mister magic on any smooth jazz compilation.
    btw i think the spyra gyra track is "pigmy funk",something like that [[its not a genre either!)its so unlike anything they did before or since.i'm not able to find out as i'm nowhere near my stuff.the album was self titled on arista 77/78.worth a listen anyway.