[REMOVE ADS]

Rare Earth / Peter Rivera / Motown Museum

I came across this; thought it was worth sharing. It's a letter from Peter Rivera [[the original lead singer of Rare Earth, to the Motown Museum):

To the Motown Museum [[Hitsville)

To Whom It May Concern:

This is not an easy letter to write but I feel compelled to send it. On a recent visit to Detroit, I had the opportunity to see Hitsville on W. Grand Blvd. What made it special was that my son was with me. I was telling my family of the Museum for years. He’s enjoyed my 35 year musical career and has been proud of his father as my other children and relatives are. I walked in and paid the fee to tour the museum and met the staff. They were all very gracious to me and we were shaking hands and enjoying meeting each other. They knew all my songs and were happy to meet me in person. As we toured I was telling the kids how we would record and have fun with Marvin, Stevie, Gladys and other Motown greats. I watched my sons face as I told him of my history. There were lots of smiles.

As we toured Hitsville, I know he and I were looking forward to seeing an acknowledgement of my involvement with Motown. We soon realized that there was no such thing. No pictures, no album covers, absolutely no proof that I ever existed. I was stunned. I was embarrassed. I shrugged it off and explained that maybe it was an oversight. I hope he understood but I’m pretty sure he was hurt. I know he felt bad about it. Worst of all he felt embarrassed for me. It was very uncomfortable.

I realize that Motown was a family company. That’s what the slogan was during the early years. I was very blessed to have had the experience of being [[in my mind) part of the Motown “Family”, and to suddenly realize that we [[Rare Earth) didn’t matter enough to even be mentioned was very hurtful.

We sold millions of records and made millions of dollars for the company.
    We were the “white group” that made it with Motown. I was the “blue eyed soul brother” that hung with David Ruffin, Marvin etc.

To this day I am giving autographs to fans who ask me why I’m never included in any of the company celebrations. I don’t know what to say to them. I want to know: HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ?

What would you say to your kids if you were me? My records are still in movies, major commercials and are still in rotation on radio.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY????????

Life will go on and then someday it will be over. Family will continue and some of us will be fortunate enough to have carved out a legacy and left a mark in musical history. It would make me feel good to know that children and relatives of Rare Earth members [[some of which are deceased) would be able to reminisce with pride about their fathers and have a good feeling that these fathers mattered enough to be mentioned and acknowledged as part of a tremendous time know as the “Motown Era”.

Sincerely
    Peter Rivera
    Original Lead Singer/Drummer of “RARE EARTH” 69-75

http://www.peterivera.com/
    Last edited by marybrewster; 08-16-2012 at 09:52 AM.

I'm not sure when this letter was written but I was at the Museum at the end of May and there were Rare Earth records on the wall. The guide that I had mentioned then and the formation of the rare Earth label and their hit versions of Motown standards. Granted, there wasn't much mention of a lot of Motown groups but it did seem as though they tried to get at least one album cover on the wall for most of them. I was just surprised at all the attention the museum gave Marvin Gaye. He had two display cases! I wonder if those cases get changed out every now and then to focus on other performers. Frankly, I was surprised at the lack of Supremes and Stevie and Temptations materials.

Hi all...its right there at the top of my wish list to visit the Motown museum someday...but from all the accounts ive heard/read about there does seem to be a lot more they could do with it in regards to honouring each and every Motown atrist...ive seen so many black and white press photos of some of the really obscure Motown atists that surely a whole wall montage with a brief history would not break the bank..i bet they dont even own a complete collection of 45s and albums..and im sure even the most casual of visitors are aware that Motown was not just Stevie,Diana,Marvin and Smokey...it would be like going to the Natural history museum and they have not covered a particular era of evolution...why?

RossHolloway Guest
    That is unfortunate, but why haven't they ever been included on any of the Motown specials?

I am so happy that Pete wrote that letter and let them know! Many years ago, I was associated with the Museum as a volunteer. In those days everything was rather amatuerish [[mostly due to lack of funding). However, I too felt that there was either a conscious effort to leave some folks out [[Florence Ballard!) or they just focused on the a few handful of artists. As time went on, they did improve the displays and some were very well represented via pictures, stage costumes, records, etc.

I too must question why groups like Rare Earth, the Marvelettes, the Velvelettes, Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers and solo artists like Jimmy Ruffin, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, are always given the short shift? Even the ladies that performed with the Supremes after Diane left are never included in the Motown TV specials or even mentioned.

Rare Earth was VERY identifiable with Motown and the "Motown Sound". They need to be included and recognized right along with the rest of them! They were great and Pete is right! This reminds me of Mary Wilson's "My Life" speech back in 2000 when they would not allow her and ABC TV inside.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-16-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Pete
    You tell it like it is.
    I don't think it is racism,
    but pure ignorance of the importance of ALL
    Motown artists.

Edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Pete
    You tell it like it is.
    I don't think it is racism,
    but pure ignorance of the importance of ALL
    Motown artists.

Edafan
    I'm pretty sure they'll do something to try to make up for it. I just wished they would get it right the first time!!!

I remember the first time I went to the Museum, they had 45's of the first Motown/Tamla releases along with pictures of the artists. I was shocked to see a photo of Debbie Dean. In later years this display was gone and it seemed to me on visits over the next ten year, more and more disappeared. I got tired of going to the museum and seeing the same stuff, with heavy emphasis on Michael Jackson and Marvin Gaye. There is enough room to put a couple of more display cases on the second floor that could highlight the lesser known groups. I plan on going again this October. I hope I will not be disappointed again. Vince - St. Louis

Interesting. Certainly a group like Rare Earth, a popular band with significant record sales deserves recognition at such a museum, as well as many other lesser known artists, producers, songwriters, etc. Coincidentally, I will be in Detroit next week and plan to visit the museum. A longtime friend of mine going back to my college days, Allen Rawls was just appointed to the position of interim CEO of the Motown Museum where he has served in the capacity of treasurer for some time [[we even survived a bad car crash together along with our mutual friend Vince Smith, although my dads 3 day old Cadillac I borrowed didn't fare so well Lol). Allen told me that he gets to pretend he's Berry Gordy every day...missing only the checkbook. Allen is also a very successful architect in Detroit and active in many community affairs. We're both looking forward to the visit and I plan to bring my brother Bruce along. Bruce used to work there writing lead sheets for Jobete as a teenager and also played on sessions there including Stevie Wonders For Once In My Life.
    Last edited by StuBass1; 08-17-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Entertainers. SMH. That's like saying if someone was "employee of the month" 40 years ago at Burger King, that if they visit that establishment today that their plaque is suppose to still be up on the wall. Is every writer, musician, singer that ever worked for Motown suppose to have some kind of mention, or honor everytime Motown is mentioned? Some great music was created there, thats it. That was their JOB. They didn't discover a cure for AIDS or other diseases. They didn't create alternative energy. They simply made music that many people have enjoyed over the years. No one is obligated to honor anyone. One would think that he doesn't have to prove his legacy to family. Is a photo on the wall the only way he feels his life can be validated? I've always wondered why entertainers think they are more special than "regular" people.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Entertainers. SMH. That's like saying if someone was "employee of the month" 40 years ago at Burger King, that if they visit that establishment today that their plaque is suppose to still be up on the wall. Is every writer, musician, singer that ever worked for Motown suppose to have some kind of mention, or honor everytime Motown is mentioned? Some great music was created there, thats it. That was their JOB. They didn't discover a cure for AIDS or other diseases. They didn't create alternative energy. They simply made music that many people have enjoyed over the years. No one is obligated to honor anyone. One would think that he doesn't have to prove his legacy to family. Is a photo on the wall the only way he feels his life can be validated? I've always wondered why entertainers think they are more special than "regular" people.
    You missed the whole point as usual! All I know is that my teams trophies are still up in the display cases at my high school!

Rare Earth was the first successful self contained band to record for Motown years before the Commodores came along. They deserve much recognition at that Museum and elsewhere!

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You missed the whole point as usual! All I know is that my teams trophies are still up in the display cases at my high school!

Rare Earth was the first successful self contained band to record for Motown years before the Commodores came along. They deserve much recognition at that Museum and elsewhere!

Marv
    Marv
    I agree with you.

Ed

Like probably a lot of posters on this site, I have an extensive collection of Motown memorabilia and a very eclectic collection of Motown albums. In the early 70s, there was a record store in San Francisco, I believe it was called The Record House, that carried almost every Motown album released, often at reasonable prices like $2.99. It was there I was introduced to rare albums by Motown acts like Puzzle [[a Chicago Transit Authority sounding pop, rock and soul band), Gloria Jones, Jackie Jackson. I own most of the Rare Earth albums, including the recent CD Anthology, "Fill Your Head" released by Hip-O Select. When I first visited the Motown Museum in the 80s, Hitsville U.S.A. Was underwhelming. I heard that tons of important memoribila was tossed out when the company moved to Los Angeles. I have often thought about living my collection to the Motown Museum. However, though I have visited the Motown Museum several times since then, I never get the feeling that they are set up to receive such collections, or that they care. I heard that the dearly departed, Esther Edwards, was part of the problem. I heard that she often blocked attempts to modernize the museum. Unfortunately, while it was nice that a Gordy family member oversaw the museum, it would probably better be handled by a new outside party with a curator's sense of running a museum.
    i am heartbroken for Pete Rivera that he had to experience that lack of visibility. Rare Earth was a huge contribution to the Motown legacy. They had 4 Gold/Platinum albums, several Top 10 hits along with giving Motown legitimate entree into rock ' roll, they obviously broke an important color barrier. It now reminds that they have never been mentioned on either "Motown 25", Motown 40" or "Motown 45". That is really a shame. I maybe could understand like one hit wonder, R. dean Taylor [[but even he was an important songwriter), Charlene or Shorty Long. But Rare Earth signaled a new era for Motown, as it matured from a singles driven company to an album label. Motown should be very proud of their contribution. Pete Rivera has ever right to feel slighted by this careless oversight.

Like probably a lot of posters on this site, I have an extensive collection of Motown memorabilia and a very eclectic collection of Motown albums. In the early 70s, there was a record store in San Francisco, I believe it was called The Record House, that carried almost every Motown album released, often at reasonable prices like $2.99. It was there I was introduced to rare albums by Motown acts like Puzzle [[a Chicago Transit Authority sounding pop, rock and soul band), Gloria Jones, Jackie Jackson. I own most of the Rare Earth albums, including the recent CD Anthology, "Fill Your Head" released by Hip-O Select. When I first visited the Motown Museum in the 80s, Hitsville U.S.A. Was underwhelming. I heard that tons of important memoribila was tossed out when the company moved to Los Angeles. I have often thought about leaving my collection to the Motown Museum. However, though I have visited the Motown Museum several times since then, I never get the feeling that they are set up to receive such collections, or that they care. I heard that the dearly departed, Esther Edwards, was part of the problem. I heard that she often blocked attempts to modernize the museum. Unfortunately, while it was nice that a Gordy family member oversaw the museum, it would probably better be handled by a new outside party with a curator's sense of running a museum.
    i am heartbroken for Pete Rivera that he had to experience that lack of visibility. Rare Earth was a huge contribution to the Motown legacy. They had 4 Gold/Platinum albums, several Top 10 hits along with giving Motown legitimate entree into rock ' roll, they obviously broke an important color barrier. It now reminds that they have never been mentioned on either "Motown 25", Motown 40" or "Motown 45". That is really a shame. I maybe could understand like one hit wonder, R. dean Taylor [[but even he was an important songwriter), Charlene or Shorty Long. But Rare Earth signaled a new era for Motown, as it matured from a singles driven company to an album label. Motown should be very proud of their contribution. Pete Rivera has ever right to feel slighted by this careless oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Like probably a lot of posters on this site, I have an extensive collection of Motown memorabilia and a very eclectic collection of Motown albums. In the early 70s, there was a record store in San Francisco, I believe it was called The Record House, that carried almost every Motown album released, often at reasonable prices like $2.99. It was there I was introduced to rare albums by Motown acts like Puzzle [[a Chicago Transit Authority sounding pop, rock and soul band), Gloria Jones, Jackie Jackson. I own most of the Rare Earth albums, including the recent CD Anthology, "Fill Your Head" released by Hip-O Select. When I first visited the Motown Museum in the 80s, Hitsville U.S.A. Was underwhelming. I heard that tons of important memoribila was tossed out when the company moved to Los Angeles. I have often thought about leaving my collection to the Motown Museum. However, though I have visited the Motown Museum several times since then, I never get the feeling that they are set up to receive such collections, or that they care. I heard that the dearly departed, Esther Edwards, was part of the problem. I heard that she often blocked attempts to modernize the museum. Unfortunately, while it was nice that a Gordy family member oversaw the museum, it would probably better be handled by a new outside party with a curator's sense of running a museum.
    Suzanne DePasse is the responsible for Rare Earth [[and others) never getting a mention on those anniversary programs.

Marv,
    I have to agree with you on that one. But don't get me started.....

Wow! That is a big disappointment to hear. I hate to say it but I have never really heard anything positive about DePasse. I know she was a major contributer behind the scenes but always seemed to have a beef with so many people. It doesn't matter how she feels, these people were all responsible one way or the other for Motown and should be respected as such. Even Debbie Dean...yes, I said it. To Peter Rivera I say:

Big John is his name
    belongs in the museum
    hall of fame.

So there.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 08-18-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Marv,
    I have to agree with you on that one. But don't get me started.....
    Go on, get started! LOL! Ok then let me do it, hehehehehehe.......
    She wasn't even from Detroit! She had no clue, no interest and no loyalty to the original talent out of Michigan that built Motown allowing her to have job there later on!

She wouldn't even allow for even a video clip of Rare Earth to be included in the TWO PART, FOUR HOUR "Motown at 40" television special from 1998. What the heck is wrong with this woman? Does she not know Motown's history?
    Last edited by marv2; 08-18-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Unfortunately, some people refuse to acknowledge the "blue-eyed" soul that came out of this predominantly black company.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown1050 View Post
    Unfortunately, some people refuse to acknowledge the "blue-eyed" soul that came out of this predominantly black company.
    I don't know who those people are because we all partied to Rare Earth's music. My personal favorite being "Celebrate".

A song that continues to pop up in TV commercials, Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    A song that continues to pop up in TV commercials, Marv.
    It also still gets played here in New York City on WCBS 101.1 FM. I still sing along with it in the car and sometimes it makes me want to jump out on the side of the road and dance! hehehehehehe....... Some songs just do not get old.